CT Joss Whedon Doesn’t Like the Ending to Empire Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by LordGarthNader, Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. KissMeImARebel Force Ghost

star 4
    I actually agree with Joss. I think that's a perfectly legit criticism of ESB.

You can make a movie that's a middle part of a trilogy and a homage to serials while still having a strong self contained main plot. None of the other SW movies had a problem pulling it off. I love the OT and think SW and ESB are the height of film-making, but ngl, ESB had a weak plot. Ironically, though, it was the fact that Kershner felt he was directing a movie without a beginning or end that led him to emphasize and develop the characters, which is part of what makes ESB so great.
  2. Aegon Starcaster Jedi Master

star 2
    That's the point that a lot of people have made. There are stories that are story driven, and then there are stories that are character driven.
    The primary characters in TESB all had beginnings, middles, and endings in that movie. The story happened to be continued at the end, but it
    isn't as though the end of the film was so abrupt that it seemed incomplete, or that it didn't go anywhere.
  3. LordGarthNader Jedi Grand Master

star 1
  4. JEDI-RISING Force Ghost

star 3
    I don't know how someone couldn't like the ending to ESB. I saw it as a kid and didn't have a problem with the way it ended.which is kind of surprising to me looking back.
  5. Carbon1985 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I know a lot of people who didn't like the ending of ESB back in 1980. I work with someone (after seeing the quotes by Whedon about ESB ending, I asked him about it), and he said he HATED the ending of ESB back in 1980 and felt cheated. He said of course he looks at the movies different now after they became a trilogy and we could buy them on VHS or watch them on Cable by the late 80's, but at the time, it was just a sequel that didn't have an ending, and he said it didn't sit well with him back them.
    Last edited by Carbon1985, Sep 29, 2013
  6. Force Smuggler Force Ghost

star 5
    The climax of the movie was the Falcon escaping Cloud City.
    I never had a problem with the ending. Got me excited for ROTJ.
    Its part 2 of 3, some stuff has to be wrapped up but not everything. Save some stuff for ROTJ.
    Now if ROTJ didn't wrap up some plot points then we would have a problem.
  7. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    That wasn't a climax is what he's talking about. You're left hanging as to Han's fate, Vader's revelation and who the other was that Yoda talked about. A complete film has an ending and doesn't leave you hanging. TESB was the first such film to do that, that wasn't a movie serial.
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  8. Aaronaman Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Hey I like a good comic book film and to tell you the truth I enjoyed both the Green Lantern and The Punisher (Tom Jane version) and I'd watch those movies over the Avengers anyday.

George Lucas always gets knocked for saying he made films to sell toys well thats pretty much all The Avengers was! The story was weak at best, infact its on our movie channel here at the moment and I'm still not sure whats going on haha

The ending of Empire never bothered me from the first I saw it (when it was first released) and only built the excitement more for Jedi....infact I've never talked to anyone who felt the way Joss Whedon does but hey he's allowed his opinion just like all of us.

To be honest I didn't even know who Joss Whedon was before reading this thread.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.