Saga Joss Whedon handling Star Wars in the future

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by IG_2000, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4
    How would you feel about this, whether it be a sequel trilogy or (by the grace of God) the live action TV show?

I made this on the temp forums as well, and alot of you were saying that he doesn't have the "eye for detail". As in, making thousands of background characters each with their own personal backstory, name, and marketability in terms of merchandise sales. Well, to those naysayers, I bring you this clip from Cabin in the Woods. (warning, if you are squeamish, you might wanna avoid it, or if you want to see the movie without being spoiled.)

Show Spoiler

This is probably the most awesome piece of eye candy in terms of cameos and little details since the Jabba's Palace scene in Return of the Jedi.
  2. ezekiel22x Chosen One

star 5
    No. I like Firefly, but even so Whedon's constant jokey dialogue has a tendency to get on my nerves. I don't think he has the eye for the painterly visuals either, if Serenity is anything to go by. Again, I like that film, but I never felt the need to pause it at any point and just absorb the image on the screen.
    Frank T. likes this.
  3. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    With him being involved in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I would say his destiny lies on a different path than SW......
  4. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'd really rather he stayed as far away from it as humanly possible.
  5. Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus

star 4
    /groan

The "JJ Abrams should take over Star Wars" and "Joss Whedon should take over Star Wars" threads are never going to go away...

Big no for Whedon, although I do like his work. Two main reasons:
    - he's too close to the material as a fan, that would affect the overall approach;
    - his style is far too self-consciously ironic for Star Wars, which has to take itself somewhat seriously, at least in-universe.

Let's let George see out his reign & perhaps let the property drift away once he's done, instead of clamouring for some big name to somehow 'save' it from itself.
    StarWarrior92 likes this.
  6. drg4 Force Ghost

star 4
    If Lucas were to hand over the reins, I would prefer that the newcomer not have a longstanding emotional connection to the franchise. Only that s/he possess an intrinsic understanding of drama.

Hire someone like Irvin Kershner, or a Nicholas Meyer (a non-Trekkie whose literary flair resulted in the only two Star Trek films worth a damn).
    Zeta1127 and Darth_Nub like this.
  7. Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus

star 4
  8. drg4 Force Ghost

star 4
    I will say this: All I want for Christmas is a Return of the Jedi remake directed by Alfonso Cuaron. (He helmed the only Harry Potter flick to capture my interest, as well as the greatest science fiction film of the past 30 years, Children of Men.) The man is a virtuoso.
    Last edited by drg4, Sep 20, 2012
    Frank T. likes this.
  9. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    No, no, no, no, There will be no more Star Wars Movies, no new directors or anything
    StarWarrior92 likes this.
  10. DRush76 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm a fan of some of Joss Whedon's work, but . . . no thanks. Besides, I doubt there will be any future SW movies.
  11. Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Oh, there will be, no doubt about it. Just depends what form they'll take, and when.

If it's the near future (i.e. within the next decade), we'll probably be looking at something new, tangential to the Saga - ancient Republic era perhaps (GL has expressed vague support/interest in such an idea), or depending on what happens with the live action TV show, maybe a feature length episode to introduce it, or maybe if it doesn't get up, they'll decide to adapt some of the already written scripts into a one-off feature.

Later on down the track, though, the Saga will be either remade or rebooted, once a studio gets a hold of the rights - which will happen someday. Could be in twenty years, could be a hundred, just comes down to who inherits the rights to the franchise, and how much they care about it.
  12. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Inheriting the rights to the franchise, though, might not necessarily mean more movies... that could be impeded by any legal stipulations Lucas may have in his will about SW movies not being made (whether that's new stories, remakes of the existing ones, etc.).
  13. Lando Carmello Jedi Youngling

star 1
    What about anime or mini series?

I personally would prefer Dave Filoni to get the rights to the franchse right now.
  14. Eternal_Hero Jedi Master

star 1
    Whedon's all wrong for SW. These characters are deadly earnest not wise cracking comedians. They are never flippant. Even Han is genuinely concerned for his own welfare & safety in ANH, he doesn't want to be injured or killed in action, running around the DS isn't a joke to him, he's not Tony Stark in "Avengers". That's the tone of SW. It's not JW's tone at all.

Whatever Kathleen Kennedy does with SW after GL retires, I don't think the apple will fall far from the tree. And I don't see her doing some kind of fan-service "we apologize for the PT & CW" gesture to appease unhappy geeks. So Whedon seems to be an unlikely candidate. Filoni appears to be the heir to the empire but I also doubt that, Lucas is always switching things up.
  15. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
  16. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree with the above. Id love to see an animated version of the complete saga. Disney or Pixar would do it the best. A total recreation of the same story & the six main characters of the saga would remain consistant. It would also end much of the infighting amoung fans & create new ones. The Star Wars Saga redone where the same actors play the character through out, would be great.
  17. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    Well when someone ask what is StarWars technically its the raise & sudden fall of Palpatine, the destruction of massive death devices & removing fear from the galaxy. The story base on Anakin, Obiwan, Luke, Padme, Leia & Palpatine. Seeing an animated version of the content from the 6 films would be great for the franchise.
    Last edited by CoolyFett, Sep 23, 2012
  18. Lando Carmello Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I would prefer venturing into a completly different era.
  19. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    I wouldn't. The Saga needs the dust to settle on it.
  20. Lando Carmello Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Star Trek did big time jumps. Worked for them.
  21. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Star Trek is very different from SW, it's really not a relevant comparison.
  22. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Mine are plenty dusty.

Help me, Rukh. You're my only hope. :p
    Last edited by Arawn_Fenn, Sep 24, 2012
  23. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    Well isn't the new Star Trek movies based on the same characters? Kirk Spaok & them.
  24. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    I say when ROTS is 20 years old. Id love to see the complete saga in a book, not the individual novals but all in one book, like a Star War Bible.
  25. Frank T. Force Ghost

star 6
    I thought the Star Trek reboot was more like SW than it was like Trek. Maybe we should be talking about JJ Abrams doing SW. JJ also did a decent Spielberg impression with Super 8. Although maybe he's got Trek and Wars mixed up and we'd end up with a Trek-like SW movie. I think that Whedon is not the right man for SW for reasons stated above. Personally, I believe that The Wachowskis would be the best choice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.