main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Joss Whedon Rules! (ie The Buffy and Angel Thread)

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Princess_Skywalker_, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    go boss!

2. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    wow.. no sign of princess_skywalker today... keeps the boards quiet...

3. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    Don't make me dismember you and put you into tiny boxes and scatter you across the globe. :p ;)

4. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    ummm... what'd i do? i was just missing your exciting conversation today.

5. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
  6. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    :eek: my evil henchman beat me to it!! :p

SOME of us don't have the day off and are jealous that they have to wait till tonight to finish downloading and posting their buffyfest pics. :p but i have some pretty cool ones so it will be worth the wait.

the best part though is the video i took of the panels, especially the danny strong and adam busch one! i am now officially in love with the buffy evil geek trio. :p

gee thanks, guess i don't need to post mine now. :p

7. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    better post your photos... and hte video too!

8. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Mmmmm werewolf, tasty. Good ep last night, but I'm most curious about next week's "may contain graphic images and partial nudity" warning.

9. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    how did i know you were going to post that. ;)

let's just say i am extremely excited about next weeks ep ;)
    looked to me like we might just be getting some of what we got in season 6 of buffy? a more complete, ahm, view of spike. ;) :D

10. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    "You have reached ritual sacrifice. For goats, press one, or say goats."

11. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    hmm...that sounds vaguely familiar, like i read it somewhere before.....recently, on some science fiction space movies fan board for some southwestern hot city... ;) :p

for a loved one or pet, press the pound key.

12. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
  13. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    As requested: ;)

What the heck is happening with that sexy beast Giles's show "Ripper/The Watcher"...

FYI--At Buffyfest Robin Sachs(Ethan Rayne) didn't know what the status was on the project other than it was still in the works last he heard. I believe Joss said the same thing basically at Con...

MORE INFO:
    9:00am ET, 22-April-03
    Buffy Projects On Hold

Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon told SCI FI Wire that most of his related projects are on hold as he regroups in anticipation of the UPN series' imminent end. "Apart from Angel, no spinoff [is] in the works right now," Whedon said in an interview. "I think it's a very likely possibility, but there isn't anything happening right now. We all just kind of want to bask and relax."

The projects include an animated Buffy TV series, a BBC show based on the character of Giles (tentatively called Ripper) and a Buffy spinoff series for UPN or another network.

With regard to Ripper, Whedon said, "I wanted to do something on the BBC. We talked about a two-hour pilot. We talked about some episodes. We talked about a two-hour movie. It's gone through a lot of things. But the one conclusion I've come to, if I do something, I'll do it not as a setup so much as a story about Giles. I realize that, like Angel, you can use it as a premise, perhaps, to build something about ghost stories, and that would be fine. What I'm interested in is the character that Tony [Anthony Stewart Head] plays, not some mystery he might solve. And that's sort of a paradigm shift in what I might do with it. But I'm still very invested in the Ripper story."

As far as the animated show, "I still like the idea," Whedon said. "We still have a bunch of really good scripts. But I won't do it at a price. That's a show that has to look wonderful. It has to be as good as it can be. And a lot of animation houses just can't contain that. So the money isn't there right now. So right now, I'm not planning on it."

For his part, Head said in an interview that he remains game for Ripper. "Yeah, we talked about it," he said. Whedon "came up with a beautiful idea for it the other day, actually."

Here is more info on the actual show premise, etc....
    WARNING!! SPOILERS REGARDING FUTURE EVENTS FOR ANGEL ARE INCLUDED IN THIS. I HAVE HIGHLIGHTED THEM IN BLACK IN CASE YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED...
    This spin-off series from Buffy the Vampire Slayer will follow Rupert Giles, formerly Buffy Summers' Watcher, as he returns to his native England to find a course for his life in working with the Watchers Council in their quests to protect the world from evil. The show was scheduled to have a September 2002 premiere, and then a July 2003 premiere. These dates were false, however and production of the show hasn't even started yet. Joss Whedon assures us though that Ripper is not cancelled, but it's the farthest project from his mind at the moment. The most we know about his style for the show is that it will roughly have six episodes per season and the show might premiere with a two hour TV Movie. All of this has yet to be written in stone though.

Note: In one of the Season 7 episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the Watcher's Council was blown up. So, the plot for this show is very well subject to change. The only thing that is known about the show for sure is that it will be a story strictly about Giles.

Note #2: I thought I would also note that in Season 5 of Angel (the season that followed Buffy's last season) the Watcher's Council was rebuilt. Also, we receive word from Angel that Buffy is in Europe. Perhaps she's helping with the rebuilding of the council?

Show Information
    Running Time 60 min
    Country United Kingdom
    Network BBC-2

Show Stars
    Anthony Stewart Head - Rupert "Ripper" Giles
    Max Perlich - Whistler

Guest Stars - Tobias Nicholls (as Timothy Giles)

Show Crew
    Joss Whedon - Executive Producer
    Joss Whedon - Creator

Episode Information
    Episode Number 1
    Writer Jane Espenson & Joss Whedon
    Direct

14. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    working on Fray, the second story, of course!

15. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    But I do not give a rat's patooty about Fray. I want to see Ripper darn it! Giles is a sexy beast. But he isn't a young pup. I want to see "Ripper the Sexy Beast of a Watcher" before there is a chance of him becoming unsexy. :p

16. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Offical WB Pics from Premiere Party
    forgot to post these earlier...sorry.
    Mmmm.... Spikey and Angely goodness :D
    [image=http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Images/Dynamic/i44/AG-SM-Party-GL-10_2x3_240.jpg]
    For my loyal henchman ;)
    [image=http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Images/Dynamic/i44/AG-SM-Party-GL-01_2x3_240.jpg]

17. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
  18. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Does anyone know who performed the song towards the end of last week's episode? That was pretty cool.

19. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Are you talking about the last song that played at the end when the werewolf chick went back to her family and angel and the gang were hanging out?? If so, it's called La Cienega Just Smiled by Ryan Adams. Weirdly enough it was on Felicity AND Alias before Angel. I use to watch Felicity but I don't remember which ep it was on.

Lyrics:
    Oh the night, here it comes again
    It's on with the jeans, the jacket and the shirt
    How'd I end up feeling so bad
    For such a little girl
    And I hold you close in the back of my mind
    Feels so good but damn it makes me hurt
    And I'm too scared to know how I feel about you now

La Cienega just smiled
    See ya around

Raise my glass 'cause either way I'm dead
    Neither of you really help me to sleep anymore
    One breaks my body and the other breaks my soul

La Cienega just smiles
    As it waves goodbye

Oh the night, here it comes again
    It's off with the jeans, the jacket, and the shirt
    How'd I end up feeling so bad
    For such a little girl
    Feels so good but damn it makes me hurt
    And I'm too scared to know how I feel about you now
    How I feel about you now

La Cienega just smiles
    And says "I'll see you around"

20. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    From FX, I saw the Buffy Musical episode last night and it works better now that I know the story. Viewing out of context does not help much, duh. :p

21. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    Sorry that I'm coming around late to this but my new favorite saying from Buffy, "You don't want to hurt the Fett."

22. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    that scene was great... star wars references followed up by some red dwarf refs.

23. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    " You're British, aren't you? I've seen evey episode of Dr WHO but not Red Dwarf." or something to that effect.

24. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    didn't he also mention it was because Red Dwarf wasn't on DVD yet...

25. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    I have to say I was slightly disappointed they made that episode "parental guidance suggested". First because I didn't think any of it was that bad, second because I think whatever pushed over the line in terms of ratings could have been implied instead and kept the normal rating. It felt like they made a big deal about the warning just so they could push the limit, not because the story required it.

That being said, I thought it was a good solid (pun intended) episode for Spike. While the fans don't really need reinforcement that "Everyone, Spike is good now" the Angel gang does. And I thought the conversation between Angel and Spike was great. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.