main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Joss Whedon Rules! (ie The Buffy and Angel Thread)

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Princess_Skywalker_, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    Los Hermanos Numeros!!!

i was so sad when Cinco died, because that means he won't be in any more episodes...

that was a great episode.. i do think they are playing up this Shansu stuff a bit too much, but i suppose now that the prophecy could apply to more than one character, they can run with it... i didn't make the connection between the sun amulet and spike's little charm...

continuity bleh: after los hermanos take their brother and disappear, the ground in front of their grave is perfect... despite them having crawled out of it only a few minutes before.. i guess the magic of being a luchador!

talk about some flimsy guard rails in that cemetery... angel and los hermanos were able to rip pointy bars right off of one and use them against their aztec foe.

2. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I was a bit put off by the portrayal of the Aztec, me being descended from them and all but...
    [homer]eh, what are you going to do[/homer].

All in all pretty good edpisode. I enjoyed the guitar and the appearance of the rest of the hermanos. I would have liked to see him alive to see #5 in other episodes.

I found it funny when the hermanos were getting ready to fit that they urged Angel to fight with them. Also, they kept on referring to Angel's heart a "jerky". [face_laugh]

Anyone also notice that when they Hermanos disappeared with #5, there were 5 plaques on the tombstone?

I think I found next year's Halloween costume, The Hermanos Numeros!

3. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    james we need to find you a new hobby. :p

and you guys should know by now...when someone dies in the angel/buffy universe, it does not mean they are gone for good.

i mean even in the ep, the brothers were dead and they came back... who knows, we may see him again...

btw half the show is "dead"... so death is not really a factor here ;) :p

4. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    i know... wolfram and hart may have Cinco in a perpetuity clause, like they had Lilah. but not everyone should come back...it cheapens death.

what do you mean i need a new hobby?

5. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    lol cheapens death? kinda like having a soul isn't such a big deal now that Spikey has one. lol ;)

i just meant that so many characters come back that are supposed to be dead that nothing ever surprizes me anymore...

need a hobby as in "hey, you can see his shadow there, now really, come on!" lol :p

6. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    hey.. it was his reflection not his shadow!
    geez.. what type of henchman would i be if i didn't look after the details for the boss!

7. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    actually a couple times we pointed out his shadow, remember? especially on the ep when cordy gets the new apt. [face_laugh]

8. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    but it's ok if angel has a shadow, just as long as it's a shadow not formed by him standing in direct sunlight...

direct fluorescent light is ok, as is sunlight bouncing off surfaces...

have they ever tried to bounce sunlight off of mirrors to see if that would light up a vamp?

9. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    [face_laugh] like i said, you need a hobby. lol :p

and i believe we were making fun of the fact that it was REALLY bright outside and angel had walked in the front door, then we saw his shadow from the sunlight streaming in lol... musta had extra sunblock protection that day... :p

10. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    nancyboy hair gel has an SPF of 45!

11. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    egad, my boss had taken Padme-lou-who as her icon!

12. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    ah james you crack me up. sigh. it's nice to have a henchman that cares. thanks, i needed that. ;) :p

though i'm happy with a simple "hello" from people that i'm supposed to be friends with [face_plain] ....................
    a joke is welcome treat! :D

been watching the 2nd season eps of Angel with Darla in them. then this weekend they had an old buffy one, the one where she admits she has a thing for Angel and Darla just happened to be in it... yay! i had been trying to remember exactly what happened in it cause it's the ep where Angel kills her. since i don't get FX :( it was a lucky break that it was on this weekend. :) i realized just how much i missed tall dark and broody Angel. and you know what? he was a HECK of a lot thinner! he's been drinking the same old pigs blood so what's happening?? perhaps he just isn't getting the exercise a good vamp should in his old age?? ;P

13. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    yeah.. angel's been adding on the pounds... perhaps now working at W&H means he uses the elevator instead of constantly using the stairs at the Hyperion...

14. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    Well, thanks to FX, I saw all of season 7.

Some observations:
    I did not like Kennedy. Spike kicks major booty. Willow was too wimpy at times but came through at the end. Buffy needed to kick the butt of some of the potetials for questioning her. But I am glad she let them make the mistake of following Faith, for them to learn who was the true leader. Xander annoys me but I see his purpose. Anya needs to be slapped around.

15. Darth_Forbes

Darth_Forbes Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2003
    I got a kick out of the latest Angel ... Los Numeros were a hoot, maybe something funky will happen and we get to see more of them ... wouldn't be the first time ;)

To the observations of Season 7:
    I sincerly hoped that Kennedy was a casualty, but she wasn't ... (Dawn too for that matter)
    Anya gets 'slapped' around quite a bit later on. You prolly saw that and it brought a smile to your face [face_devil]
    And the consistency of Willow 'power/character' left something to be desired ;)

16. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Last night's episode shows why this is the best show on tv right now. The season got off to something of a slow start, but now it's really coming into it's own. Great writing last night, and some great lines.

Spike: "You'll never take me to hell!"

Lights come back on.

Spike: "Oh...that's just something I say...when it gets dark..."

Wes: "If you're here to tell me about how you killed your parents, could it wait for another time?"

Also, you can never go wrong with the Super Cyber Techno-Ninjas(tm).

Next week: Drusilla [face_love]

17. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Wes is so hot. sigh. Last night was excellent. Cannot wait for next week with Dru. YES!!!!

Found this on USA Today... Very cool.
    BEST OF BUFFY according to Joss Whedon
    Most Buffy fans have their own favorite episodes of the series, but which installments does series creator Joss Whedon prefer? Read on ...
    [image=http://images.usatoday.com/life/gallery/buffy/whedon.jpg]
    1. Innocence - In this episode, Buffy has sex with her boyfriend, Angel, and he turns into a monster. Whedon calls it "a mission statement show."
    [image=http://images.usatoday.com/life/gallery/buffy/innocence.jpg]
    2. Once More With Feeling - The 2001 musical episode had the entire cast bursting into song (and Buffy and Spike locking lips).
    [image=http://images.usatoday.com/life/gallery/buffy/once-more.jpg]
    3. Hush - In this episode, however, Sunnydale residents rarely speak after demons steal their voices.
    [image=http://images.usatoday.com/life/gallery/buffy/gentlemen.jpg]
    4. The Body - The death of Buffy's mother came as a surprise to many fans. This episode deals with the sudden shock and loss.
    [image=http://images.usatoday.com/life/gallery/buffy/the-body.jpg]
    5. Doppelgangland - Can you say "vampire double"? Whedon says he wrote this episode "because one Willow is certainly not enough."
    [image=http://images.usatoday.com/life/gallery/buffy/doppel.jpg]
    6. The Wish - In this 1998 installment, Anya grants Cordelia's wish that Buffy had never come to town.
    [image=http://images.usatoday.com/life/gallery/buffy/wish.jpg]
    7. Becoming, Part II - In the second season finale Buffy saves the world ... by killing the man she loves.
    [image=http://images.usatoday.com/life/gallery/buffy/becoming.jpg]
    8. Restless - In another spectacular season finale, Buffy encounters the First Slayer. We soon find out what she means when she says, "Death is your gift."
    [image=http://images.usatoday.com/life/gallery/buffy/restless.jpg]
    9. Conversations With Dead People - In this episode from the current season, Buffy, Willow and Dawn speak to the dead - or so they think.
    [image=http://images.usatoday.com/life/gallery/buffy/conversations.jpg]
    10. Prophecy Girl - Whedon's take: "It was the first time I got to kill Buffy, and the first season ender, and it was the first time I realized I could take everything we did in the season and tie it in a bow."
    [image=http://images.usatoday.com/life/gallery/buffy/prophecy2.jpg]

I agree Joss on some of them, but he left out some of my favorite ones?
    My favorites by season:
    Season 1
    NIGHTMARES--excellent episode dealing with all the character's worst fears
    Season 2
    INNOCENCE--Angelus returns!
    PASSION--Angelus kills Jenny and Giles goes nuts.
    BECOMING 1 & 2--Angelus joins Spike & Dru, yay!! We get to see Angel's past (darla, dru, etc.) I think the "past" episodes of the main vamps are some of the best scenes of Buffy and Angel in the series. Buffy has to kill Angel after Willow finally restores his soul because the dimension was already opened. So sad.
    Season 3
    BAND CANDY--Ethan Rayne (yay!) stirring up trouble! All the adults eat the band candy chocolates and turn back into teenagers emotionally (not physically). Excellent ep. Giles RULES as the ripper. Sigh.
    BAD GIRLS--Faith rules. Her and B kickin butt and takin names! And the arrival of: Wesley Wyndam-Pryce. Yes. :D
    THE PROM--Yes, I'm a sucker for this ep. Especially because of the very end of it. Angel tells Buffy they could never have a normal life together and is breaking up with her and leaving town after the Ascension. OUCH. But he comes thru in the end. Arrives in a tux, asks for one last dance to Wild Horses. Sniff.
    GRADUATION DAY 1 & 2--The Mayor and Faith planning chaos. Faith poisons Angel that can only be cured with the blood of a slayer so he has to drink from Buffy. Nice. They kick the mayor's butt. Faith ends up in a coma. Angel leaves for LA. Sigh. The end of an era.
    Season 4
    HUSH-- Totally creepy. In fact, probably the scariest by far of all the Buffy eps. The fact that they don't even speak for mo

18. blackfeather

blackfeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    i still get giddy about the line from "Chosen" that the First said to Buffy in the Hellmouth cave-
    "Oh no...! Mommy! This mortal wound is all itchy!"

19. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Because it can't be said enough: Drusilla [face_love]

20. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    mmm.. the good ole' buffybot episodes...
    buffy was probably the one show that pulled off all the wacky lame plot contrivances of soap operas well (ok they do it on angel too, but perhaps not quite as smoothly)

the body switching.
    android pretending to be the real person.
    the sibling no one knew about that just suddenly appeared.
    characters reappearing after we thought they were dead.
    split personalities.
    amnesia.
    making characters disappear.

21. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    Last night I was all like "YES, YES, YES. I KNEW IT! HAAHA Haaa ha. hey, wait Mt. Dew ....NOOOOOOOO! What a freaking tease."
    That was a most excellent episode, and yet I feel used.
    -D-

22. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    i was half expecting either a raiders of hte lost ark booby trap or some sort of Last Crusade trickery.. like an old knight appearing...

i totally knew what happened at the beginning with the flash in the package, and predicted captain peroxide walking into something.

and the return of lindsey! two of foes are in the same place -- angel and W&H.

23. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    Since I'm new to Angel, I had no idea who the person in bed with Eve was.

I liked the fight between Angel and Spike. Especially the exchange between them about how each received their soul. Angel-curse, Spike-fought for soul. (Although he was trying to get the chip removed and his soul was a byproduct of those trials-at least that's how I understood it.)

24. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    caught an episode of angel on tnt the other night, which i'm sure is pretty old, but i have just one thing to say:

why the HELL didn't anyone tell me vincent kartheiser was on that show?!? i would have been obsessing over it long ago if i'd known.

it took me about half an hour to get into the flow of things, but i really like the mood of the show. it would have been easy to make turn it into "buffy episodes without buffy," but they didn't, they made it into something else that still makes sense in the buffyverse. very cool.

so where should i go to catch up on all the angel episodes i've missed?

25. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    I think TNT is as good a place as any. Somebody here might have the 1st season on DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.