main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Joss Whedon Rules! (ie The Buffy and Angel Thread)

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Princess_Skywalker_, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    When he asked the demon to "make me like I was" I don't know that Spike intended to get his soul back, but I think deep down it's what he wanted...what he knew Buffy would want. Or perhaps another way to look at it is Spike didn't necessarily want the soul, but William did. The Spike part of him just wanted to be strong again.

Which would fit into Angel's comment last night about Spike wanting the cup more. I think that observation was spot-on. Spike wanted the cup to get back at Angel, while William wanted the salvation it promised.

I think Angel has always held back from pursuing what he really wants for fear that it would be selfish. He still sees his soul as a punishment for his past sins, part of him feels like he doesn't deserve to fulfill the prophecy.

2. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
  3. Dikion

Oct 3, 2003
    There was one ep. where Angel became human but asked the oracles to turn him back so he could protect Buffy. I think Spike wanted to change for himself, not Buffy.
    So Angel was cursed, and released and choose to be cursed again.
    Spike fought for it, but I'm not convinced that he knew what he was fighting for. Does that make it any less worthy?
    And if they make the proficy about Spike are they going to change the name of the show?

I want redemtion for Spike, but I think Angel is going to get it. Reasons: Angel askes to be a vamp with a soul, knowing what comes with it; Angel's morals seem to be just a notch higher than Spike's (point: Spike's second reaction was to "grab" the receptionist saying something like "it wasn't a question"); the show is named "Angel". But I would still like to see it be Spike.
    -D-

4. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    heh.. i got seasons 1 and 2 on dvd.

i agree that angel views his path to redemption as almost a punishment, and possibly is very afraid of losing that part of his identity... what would he become without his calling to be the hero? if he became mortal, who would he be?

was it just me or did the blood on spike and angel just seem fake?

also... the opera house was in death valley in nevada? last i checked death valley is in california. edit: ok, most of the area known as death valley is in CA, and a small chunk of it is in NV.

5. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    "the show is named 'Angel.'"

You touched upon the main reason I don't think Spike will be the one to fulfill the prophecy. Though wouldn't it be a great twist if the hero of the show got passed over for the big shindig? ;)

6. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    it would be a good twist, and i wouldn't put it past Joss and crew to do, and it could very well be part of Angel's redemption in allow Spike to be the Shansu prophesied One.
    In order to earn his redepemption, Angel must give up in his heart the goal for being a hero. Being a true champion is not about looking for some big payoff in the end, but rather doing good for the sake of doing good.

when angel underwent some wacky dungeon trials and intended to give his life to save darla, that was selflessness...

when they first started out (1st season) they used to keep score in a sense with their case board, until angel realized that it's not about keeping score.

7. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    July 6, 2004 is when we can look forward to this.

8. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    dec 9 is when we can look foward to Firefly on DVD!

9. blackfeather

blackfeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    speaking of joss, i just picked up the tpb of Fray. awesome introduction to the world of the Future Slayer. i think i get why there aren't any more Slayers in Fray's world, even though all of them were activated simultanously. you'd have to read it to understand.

10. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Fray is a good series. When do the new episodes of Angel start again?

11. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    it was pretty cool how joss made sure that the end of buffy fed very well into the fray mythology... in a sense making the final season of buffy like a prequel to fray.

we need new angel!!

12. Dikion

Oct 3, 2003
    I'll second that emotion.
    More Angel. hear hear.

I missed it the first time around, but I noticed in last night's rerun Harmony said the glass was necro-tinted or something, so the sun doesn't hurt. I was confused in a couple of the episodes that followed.

-D-
    knows how Angel was sitting in the sun at his desk now.

13. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    yes, the offices and Angel's motorpool have necro-tinted glass. very handy.... however it could cause a problem later when it goes... or angel forgets that his office has it, and when he goes to a building that doesn't... (like in the first episode.. how handy for him that Spanky's curtains are drawn)

"For goat, press One or say Goat"

14. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    weeks of reruns just kill this thread...

hmmm random survey question -- which buffy character would you most want to have lunch with, and what type of food would you have?

15. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    Hmmm....

Female character: Faith, of course, but in her early Buffy 5x5 glory days.
    And we probably wouldn't have lunch, we'd be too busy kicking ass and taking names. :p

OOPS!!! My Bad... How could I forget...
    1st Choice Male Character: Rupert Giles or Wesley Wyndam-Pryce.
    1st choice definitely being early Buffy, stammering, glasses cleaning, I have a secret past as a rebel named "Ripper" Giles... lol or Wes when he first joined Angel, the Rogue Demon Hunter Wes, oh yeah! :D Gotta love those british accents, fake or not. :p ;)

2nd Choice Male Character: Spike or Angel... It's a toss up really.
    But it would have to be either:
    "early Buffy brooding, angsty Angel" or
    "early Buffy badass, evil, witty Spike"... or "unrequited lovesick Spike from seasons 5&6".
    And as for what we would be having for lunch... I won't comment on that. :p

16. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    hehe... hey.. no new angel until january? aiee..

17. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    keeping this off of page 3!

18. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    keeping this off of page 3!

and that my friends, is why my loyal henchman rules. :D ;)

19. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    i need food!

20. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Loyal Henchman strikes again! ;) :D

Sorta has some spoilers in it because of the subject matter in the cast interviews, but then again, a lot of it seems like it's speculation/not completely confirmed or denied...

Angel's 100th Episode Cast Party

Woo Hoo! Should have a special around the episode airdate, sometime around Feb. 4th. Yay for Angely Goodness!!

21. Dikion

Oct 3, 2003
    Got Buffy seasons 1-5 on DVD for x-mas. :D
    I got so tired of only being able to watch two episodes (if lucky) before the sound would go to static, like on a CB but just out of range. Stupid TV, I hate you. :mad:
    So bought a new one, thank you x-mas bonus. So I went to store picked one out that had the best picture, all the outs and ins I want, paid for it then they bring out the box. All I could say was, "OMG, I just bought a Sony VVega."
    I find that I will look at what I want and compare prices and options and most of the time I walk out with a sony. Hmmmm....interesting.

-D-
    this thread made it to page 3 :(

22. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    made it back to page 3 again... but here it is... and there's new angel this week!

woo hoo!

23. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Since I've seen practically every episode of Buffy from FX, I think I can post some observations on the series:

Pros:
    Butt Kicking action
    Spike-James Marsters (sp?)
    Buffy-Sarah Michelle Geller
    Angel
    Willow
    Giles
    Villians-Master, First, Glory
    The Mayor
    The Nerd trio
    Dark Willow, and Vampire Willow
    Buffy the Musical episode
    Star Wars references

Cons:
    Xander-Yeah he had some good lines but he annoyed me to no end.
    The Initiative- What the heck was that all about!?!
    Riley Finn-I didn't think too highly of him.
    Tara & Madison- I didn't like these characters and the way they were introduce especially with Willow. It felt as if Wheldon decided one day to forget everything he had done with Willow's character in the past.

Ambivalent:
    Joyce-Her death produced a couple of powerful episodes but she was just there, like a prop.
    Dawn- Annoyed me more often then not but they finally give her something to do in the last season.
    Faith-Darn Hot! Essential to some good storylines but other than that meh.
    Hush-Everyone likes this one to me it was ok, meh.
    Cordelia, Anya, Oz- Didn't hate them, but not crazy about them.

These are just some of my observations, and of course disagree with me as you wish.

24. Dikion

Oct 3, 2003
    vamp Willow is the bestest ever.

Cordi: Is there something on my neck?
    Will: Not yet.

-D-
    bored now.

25. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    mmmmm...Vamp Willow. [face_devil]