main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Joss Whedon Rules! (ie The Buffy and Angel Thread)

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Princess_Skywalker_, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    Did anybody by chance happen to record Angel last night?

Missed it and all bummed now.

-D-
    being hopeful....

2. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    no recordee here... do they show the episode again on the weekend on your local WB channel... tape it then if they do!

good episode, although having it Harmony-centric might not have been best choice for starting off the year...

3. Dikion

Oct 3, 2003
    No replay out here. Atleast not that I know of.

-D-
    atleast it wasn't all about Spike, I'd be really sad then.

4. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    it's not my fault... we (just whitney and i) got bored on sunday and started watching angel on dvd and plowed through 4 episodes...

5. Dikion

Oct 3, 2003
    I've done that with my new Buffy DVD's. Went through a whole season in two days once. Barely left my room. That's what I did for my vacation, watched a whole lotta Buffy.

Got Mom all hooked and this weekend she watched most of season five. Sunday I came out and noticed, "Oh, you've already watched The Body."

Mom, "Ya, I cried all the way through."

"Ohh, you should watch it with the commentary. It's really good, but it still makes me cry."

-D-
    also told mom that she's going to finish up season five, and have to wait half a year to watch season six. "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
    But really, I'm recording it off of FX during the day, I think season six starts this week (or next).

6. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    sssh... we went out to dinner last night and thought we might miss angel so i called my friend justin to tape it for me, but we got home in time to watch it, and we did, but will have to watch it again with justin and alex who think we haven't seen it yet, although they didn't get to see it (they just recorded it)... anyway, it was a good episode, although im not sure they needed to superemphasize that it was directed by david boreanaz like they did at the beginning. the episode seemed to be the first in a while to use most of the characters in more than 'single line snippets'.. while the focus was on angel and spike, there was a lot more interaction with gunn, fred, wesley, and even lorne got more than his usual single shot. throwing eve, harmony, and lindsey into it, and it had the ensemble-ness that the show hasn't had in most of this season's earlier episodes.

7. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    a coworker and i were talking about last week's angel...and we had a few thoughts...

what is Eve getting out of all of her plan with Lindsey (other than Lindsey's booty)?

also, what if it's not Lindsey acting as Doyle to Spike, but rather somehow actually Doyle in Lindsey's body... (unlikely, but...)

8. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Attention PFF Buffy fans!

This appeared on the local newspaper. Anyone interested?

9. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    I wouldn't mind going, they mentioned having a few celebrities on hand.

I just hit the website listed at the end of the article and it says the event is cancelled...

10. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    Although the website has the date wrong, I'm guessing it's right. The article has a number at the end so maybe we should call to confirm.

11. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    "Check your viewscreens, Uhura. I have 12 Slayers behind me and none of them have ever dated you." "Now I'm 86% manlier." "Like Gandalf the White resurrected after defeating the Balrog." Andrew is my new personal hero. ;)

Good conversation at the end between Angel and Spike. Those two really work well together.

12. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    this was a good episode! andrew was great... and helps to explain where the buffy cast is... the conversation between spike and angel at the end was also good for reminding us the fundamental differences between angel's conversion and spike's conversion.

angel was evil and lived off of the pain he inflicted and now fights to ease the pain of others.
    spike was more animal and selfserving and now is starting to be less selfish and empathize more with others.

and apparently andrew was more manly... crossing angel like that at the end... and stating buffy's view that angel had crossed over to evil by working with W&H..hmm... but at least Wesley and Giles are still in touch, at least enough to have Andrew show up.

13. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    Drat, I missed Angel the last 2 weeks.

14. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    More just standing up to Angel than actually double crossing him. I got the impression that crossing Angel was more Buffy's or Giles' idea than Andrew. He did say something like "Where do you think my orders came from?" when Angel suggested that he talk to Buffy about the Slayer.

That Andrew would stand his ground like that shows he's come a long way since his days with Warren and Jonathan. Then again having a dozen Slayers backing you up does wonders for your self confidence, I'm sure. :p

15. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    i wonder how many of the slayers seen were ones that were also on buffy... none of them really looked familiar.

yes, it was more him standing up to angel than double crossing him... but remember he stood up alone to angel and his whole crew before his slayers came out of the background... and that's still pretty bold, even if he was aware they were there. then again, having them there meant that he couldn't ditch his responsibilities. i doubt the old andrew would have wanted that much leadership in the first place.

something to think about:
    Spike didn't want Andrew to tell Buffy about Spike's reappearance. but Andrew, in his duty to Buffy and the Slayers should do so, and further, quite possibly some of the slayers who appeared at the end might recognize spike anyway (if they were in sunnydale prior to the collapse of the hellmouth). so at least to me, buffy should be learning about spike's reappearance fairly soon. while Andrew idolizes Spike, his responsibility to the slayers might cause him to spill Spike's secret.

16. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    My comment about the dozen slayers was mostly a joke, that scene does show how far Andrew's character has come since 'Buffy'. That he has the responsibility of that mission in the first place shows that Giles places a lot of trust in him to get the job done.

EDIT: And not only was he given the responsibility of the mission, he was given 12 Slayers to help accomplish that mission. 12 Slayers represents quite a lot of resources considering there are only, according to Wesley, perhaps several hundred or a thousand in the world, most of which I would assume are not even fully trained.

17. blackfeather

blackfeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    yeah, me too. :D

i don't think any of the slayers saw spike, since he was wheeled into an ambulance so quickly and was offscreen when they made their appearance.
    buuuuuut i doubt that andrew will be able to stay quiet for long. he'll probably tell giles voluntarily, if nothing else just to update him on the state of things in the city of Angel. at which point BOTH master and apprentice (hee!) would agree not to tell Buffy, since Giles didn't approve of the Spuffy 'ship in the first place.

of course, that doesn't preclude the possibility of Andrew accidently letting slip something about Spike...

that reminds me. how much of the current sitch did Andrew know? and how much more intel did he take away with him afterward? and what does it say about W&H's intel-gathering ability if they didn't know about Buffy sharing the wealth slayer-wise?

somehow it seems fitting that Buffy's based out of Rome. the history, the culture, the Vatican... i wonder if the Vatican knows about Buffy.

i don't think Giles and Pryce keep in touch. mind you, Giles probably wouldn't refuse his call, but it's not like they go out of their way to talk to each other. even before Pryce turned to the W&H side they were more acquaintances than friends, allies really. for this particular instance they had the same goal, find the rogue slayer, and no need for conflict. but remember, Giles didn't tell Pryce that the girl was going with the Slayers. that shows Giles doesn't trust Pryce, let alone W&H.

For that matter, how did Andrew get from England to L.A. so quickly? Unless they commandeered a Concorde, I just can't figure. Teleportation thanks to Giles' coven? He was already there w/a platoon of Slayer backup? It's possible they were already enroute on supersonic transatlantic transport or something because they heard about the girl (news about the carnage, or scrying from the coven) before Wes called them, and that Giles told Andrew to rendezvous w/team Angel so they could use W&H's resources to track her down (and keep an eye on W&H) but not to mention or bring in the other Slayers until necessary. and it only takes one cell phone to get orders from the Buffster.

but that ending? dang, that was harsh. it's starting to dawn on team Angel just how much they've given up by working for (not taking over; they still technically answer to the senior partners)W&H.

18. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    "12 Slayers represents quite a lot of resources considering there are only, according to Wesley, perhaps several hundred or a thousand in the world, most of which I would assume are not even fully trained."

but since the watchers are no longer in charge, and it is up to buffy and co. and every potential is now a slayer, 12 slayers is still a big deal, but not perhaps as big a deal as you think... you figure that probably a good handful survived the hellmouth (even if the dozen we saw weren't veterans of that), after a few months they could find a sizable amount of those who are easy to find (those getting on the radar as girls of superhuman strength etc.)

"that reminds me. how much of the current sitch did Andrew know? and how much more intel did he take away with him afterward? and what does it say about W&H's intel-gathering ability if they didn't know about Buffy sharing the wealth slayer-wise?"

i figure he took quite a bit of intel, after all he had his little notebook. since angel and co. didn't know what happened at the hellmouth (potentials turning into slayers) - only that something happened, spike died and buffy went to europe, i would imagine that they might not keep too much tabs on slayers, especially those outside of LA... it seemed pretty well established that if it's in LA, they can know about it, but outside their territory, they aren't interested too much. esp. with the distance that buffy and angel put between them.

"i don't think Giles and Pryce keep in touch." but at least they know how to get in touch with each other fairly quickly for Wes to contact Giles and have Andrew arrive in the same day. maybe they just use email. quite possible as you said that they are at the acquaintance level now, not always trusting each other fully.

"how fast it took to get Andrew there?" -- did andrew actually say he was with giles in england or wherever.. they mentioned they were all over the place, and did a lot of conference calls, perhaps Andrew has North AMerica as his territory and isn't too far away by plane.

my new question:
    how did spike know to show up in the psychology ward at the beginning? the nurse called W&H and angel showed up, but how did spike know to go there? did Lindsey send him there? and if so, how did he know, unless of course
    a) he has a contact inside the psych ward because he knows she was a potential
    b) he really does have visions, like doyle
    c) he masterminded Dana's escape for some reason, by paying the nurse to mess up the medications, allowing Dana to be at full strenght and escape, and sent spike (could combine with A)

or did spike just get lucky, listening to the police scanner? or lindsey tapping into W&H's phones and learning that angel is on the move.

19. Dikion

Oct 3, 2003
    I think I remeber Wesley saying that Giles was sending a local rep.
    but I wouldn't swear to it.
    And Andrew had a dozen slayers with him, I doubt they all flew to LA.
    If so, where's the funding coming from?
    I bet some of Andrew's new found confidence comes from surviving the hell mouth and him (and Xander possibly) training Cali slayers.
    With that many girls looking to you for answers, it's bound to boost your self-esteem.

-D-

20. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Actually, I think that last statement should be something along the lines of: "With that many girls [who can totally kick your ass] looking to you for answers..."

;)

21. blackfeather

Oct 6, 2002
    It wasn't a local rep that Angel said Giles was sending. It was "Giles is sending his best man" to help them out. Also, I think the little bag lunch was meant to imply that Andrew just came from England.

hmm... Lindsey getting the slayer sprung from the institute? Interesting thought, but I somehow doubt it. If she wasn't on the Scoobies' radar then she probably wouldn't have been on ANYONE's radar, especially a rogue duo like Lindsey and Eve.

I think W&H would be concerned w/events beyond LA, at least within Cali, if not the whole Western Hemisphere. I mean, when Lilah was offering W&H to Angel she gave him the Sunnydale info, along w/the Amulet of A**itude(tm TWOP). I'm realizing that it's more that W&H only monitors for events that directly impact W&H, like researching the Sunnydale sitch to woo Angel over to their side. Which would explain why Dana wasn't on W&H's radar... they weren't looking for her till now. It's the "think locally, act globally" mentality.

If team Angel quits W&H, will they remember to tell the werewolf girl not to go there for safekeeping each full moon?

22. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    "hmm... Lindsey getting the slayer sprung from the institute? Interesting thought, but I somehow doubt it. If she wasn't on the Scoobies' radar then she probably wouldn't have been on ANYONE's radar, especially a rogue duo like Lindsey and Eve."

unless he was aware of the reason why she was there in the first place... ie, if W&H were involved with the man who turned her into a monster... it's a long shot of course, but still we need an explanation of how spike knew to go to the ward.

"sending their best man" while andrew had a bag lunch with a UK flag on it, it doesn't necessarily mean that he was in the UK at the time... perhaps he was already in the states, working with this crew of slayers (either he just happened to be stateside or he is based stateside, and just has a british lunchbag to go with his british haircut and pipe... copying his view of what a watcher should be in his comic-book world view)

flying in a dozen slayers? unlikely.. more likely they have bases or cells located in many parts of the world, and since so many of them were already in california during the hellmouth incident, it would make sense that a base would be in california.

W&H's intell services.. i don't think the amulet deal was part of their regular services.. certainly the entire organization watches everywhere, but the LA office is just one cog, one fiefdom.. in charge of keeping track of its zone of control (which sunnydale may or may not be under).. once the slayer left for europe, most likely it would fall to european offices to monitor the situation, and quite possibly not relay info back to the other offices. besides W&H really hasn't done much with the slayer at all, but rather has focused more on tripping up angel...

23. blackfeather

Oct 6, 2002
    just saw the 100th episode of Angel.

sniff.

CORDY!!!!

awesome episode.

24. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    Cordy is dead. Hurrah. Finally. Amen.

25. blackfeather

Oct 6, 2002
    but she went out with a bang. she bangs, she bangs...

long time no see princess!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.