main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Journal of a free Woman (AU, Shmi Skywalker, Diary Challenge 2013) updated 5/10/2013

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Alexis_Wingstar, Jan 6, 2013.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great shopping and she is free. Nice to see her enjoying all the new things

2. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Sorry, I've gotten behind with things here.

I liked seeing Shmi's wonder-filled reaction to snow, especially after being on Tatooine for so long. The sentiment about freedom was very nice. I hope Shmi enjoys the simple beauty of the snow. :)

There were some good bargains at the resale shop for her, too. That's a thrifty, practical place for her to go while preparing for her job hunt.

Great post!

3. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Kahara
    AzureAngel2 Very insightful, yes. :)
    Jade_eyes Woot for bargains [face_dancing]
    earlybird-obi-wan and old things that become new with a different perspective.
    Thumper09 Yeah, I've become behind on reading others' stories as well.

~~

Benduday, Welona 15

I went on a job interview today. I’d seen a want ad for a mechanic at a repair shop not far from the little store I bought this journal from, and decided to apply in person. When I told the man my former employer was my master, I could see in his face that he was going to dismiss me. We were seated on opposite sides of a repair bench. There were numerous components scattered across the table. In under five minutes, there was a working pit droid hobbling around on the table.

Afterwards, I just looked at him, silently daring him to ask again if he could contact former employers. I guess people don’t like uppity ex-slaves. He just said he’d call me later after they interviewed others for the position.

I won’t hold my breath for the call.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    sorry, meant to edit, not reply

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= Very real to life. (The prospective employer and Shmi's philosophical attitude)

Alexis_Wingstar likes this.
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Real life and it sucks sometimes.

Alexis_Wingstar likes this.
  7. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I know everything about discrimination since I moved into another country.

Luckily, my DarthUnlce and earlybird-Obi-Wan, a dear friend by now, remind me that there is more than the occasional discrimination on the working floor.

I hope that there are a number of such folks in Shmi´s life, too.

Alexis_Wingstar and Jade_eyes like this.
  8. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    How rotten that the interviewer looked down on her for being a former slave. That really gives one a stomach-sinking feeling, especially when considering the real-life parallels.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  9. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    I feel bad that Shmi had to face that attitude from the interviewer, and good for her that she pushed back by proving her skill to him. I hope she doesn't run into too many other people who share his attitude, especially being on a more cultured (IMO) planet like Naboo.

Great work!

10. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Jade_eyes, earlybird-obi-wan, AzureAngel2, Kahara, Thumper09 Thank you for your feedback. Yes, prejudice is very bad and unfair. Fortunately, sometimes things aren't what they seem. You'll see what I mean in this update. :)

~~~

Primeday, Welona 16

I just got a message from the repair shop. They want me for a second interview! I guess I impressed that guy after all. I go this afternoon. Hopefully it’s a good sign that they called me in for a second time. For some reason, I’m more nervous now than when I went there yesterday.

~~~

I just got back from the interview. I start tomorrow! It turns out that the man who interviewed me yesterday, Kren Javel, was just in shock when he found out I had been a slave. He apologized profusely to me for acting like a fool. He told me that even though everyone knew that in the outer rim slavery was a big problem, and that Naboo wasn’t very far from the outer rim, it just wasn’t something they worried about and he’d never met a slave or ex-slave before. He said, “I was so shocked, I couldn’t think of what to say.”

Kren had already hired me and we were making small talk (he’s actually a very nice man with a wife and four children... his oldest is Ani’s age) when he suddenly realized I was Anakin Skywalker’s mother... it was when I mentioned Ani being almost twelve that it hit him. It was actually kind of funny. He was even more embarrassed that he hadn’t recognized the fact that I was the “young hero’s” mother than how he’d reacted to me yesterday. He was red faced with embarrassment when he said, “You’re never going to let me live this down, are you.” I only laughed when he said it...

I may let him live it down someday. Seriously, though, I told him I didn’t want him... or anyone, for that matter... to treat me special just because I’m Anakin’s mother. I’m proud of my son and what he did, but I have to make things a go because of who I am, not for who I gave birth to. He understood that. Kren seems like a good man.

AzureAngel2 and Jade_eyes like this.
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh how wonderful @};- :D I am so happy ... Kren seems a very decent sort indeed.

12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Yes, now she has a nice boss. She is very level headed liking to be treated like anyone else

13. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Sometimes life has a happy ending. :)

Jade_eyes likes this.
  14. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    I'm happy it all got worked out and she got the job! Now that Shmi knows Kren better, it seems like he's a good man who's willing to take responsibility for himself and will be a good employer for her.

I may let him live it down someday.
    LOL, I love Shmi's sense of humor about this. :D

I’m proud of my son and what he did, but I have to make things a go because of who I am, not for who I gave birth to.

I like her approach here and her continued willingness to stand on her own two feet. Of course she can (and should be) proud of what Anakin did for Naboo too. :)

Great work!

Jade_eyes likes this.
  15. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Glad to see that things weren't as they appeared. It sounds like Shmi may have found a good place to work.

Like Thumper, I was impressed by this:

I've said it before, but I really like your interpretation of Shmi. She's so very practical and fiercely resilient but still seems very human in her emotions.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  16. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    Really enjoying this. Shmi is an intriguing character. You do an excellent job with her.

Jade_eyes likes this.