main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Journal of Mark Tantiss: (2012 Diary Challenge: AU, OC, L/M) COMPLETE with fanart

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Lover, Jan 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Bhahahahahaha! Oh, poor Mark. He's a victim of a viral video!

Poor Corran. He's going to be a victim of an angry Mark!

2. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    [face_rofl] Oh gods! I don't know who i feel more sorry for - Mark or Corran.

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Briannakin and @ Hazel thanks for reading. I was writing so much for NaNo today my eyes are blurry. I thought I would post my first entry for this month before I completely forget about it. Thanks for reading!!

ENTRY 82: Doubts, Coruscant

Luke came over to my quarters a couple days later unannounced. At least unannounced to me…I am pretty sure Kira asked him to stopover so he and I could talk. I guess she got sick of me sitting around the apartment moping about in my underwear and bathrobe.

I knew I shouldn't let things get to me, but I was still horribly embarrassed over becoming a HoloNet sensation. Until the media frenzy died down, I didn't want to be seen in public. I didn't want to go to Jedi training, and I didn't want to leave our apartment. I guess Kira knew I was seriously depressed when I told her I wasn't hungry for her chocolate cake.

So Luke came to our apartment for a little visit and Kira suddenly needs to run out and get some blue milk for a recipe, leaving us alone to talk. He walked into the living room where I was sitting in my bathrobe and flipping through channels on the HoloNet.

"How are you doing Mark?" he asked me as he dropped down on the couch next to me.

"Not so good," I said as I continued to change channels. "We have four hundred channels of programming and not a damn thing good to watch."

He gave me a faint smile. "That's not what's really bothering you Mark. I think we should talk about it."

I sighed heavily. "Did you see the YouHolo of me?"

I could see the start of a smile forming on at the corners of Luke's mouth. "Yes, I did." I could tell he was using all his Jedi control to modulate the tone of his voice.

"Were you in on Corran's little prank?" I asked him simply, straight out.

Luke shook his head. "No, and I don't think Corran meant this as a prank to embarrass you, at least not this much. He simply wanted to one-up you for once." Luke hesitated for a second. "Mark, you have to admit that you probably deserved a little payback. I've seen what you do to Corran during lightsaber practice."

I had to smile a little. I have been a somewhat of a jerk to Corran.

"I talked to Corran," Luke continued. "He was shocked over your début on YouHolo. It looks like there was somebody in the audience who liked your performance."

I shook my head, incredulous. I couldn't believe somebody would pick me out of a whole line up of dancers to film and make public. Corran had to have had a hand in it. I've felt foolish and gullible since that night at the club…and those are not the best traits for a Jedi.

"I just don't think I have what it takes to be a Jedi," I said slowly. "Mara once told me I was guileless. She meant it as a compliment, but I sometimes think I am too naïve." I ran a hand over my face in frustration as I let out a cleansing breath.

"In the books we got from Ossus it said to become a Jedi Knight we must past the Trial of Insight. A Jedi must be able to perceive deception and misdirection. I didn't sense any of what was planned, the prank, and I didn't feel any deceit. I think I'm better off in the military. I was created for that function."

Luke took an exasperated breath. "Mark, you were created to kill me or anybody else that stood in the way of C'Baoth's plans. But instead you chose a life along the path of the light. And you didn't sense deceit, because there was nothing more than playfulness on Corran's part. He was embarrassed about how you always beat him in lightsaber training and wanted to best you in something." Luke smiled. "You have to admit…he can dance."

When I didn't respond Luke stood up and started pacing around the room. It was obvious that he was trying to figure out something else to say to make me feel better. "Mark, you have what it takes to be a Jedi just as much as I do. Do you think I didn't get a multitude of pranks pulled on me during my lifetime? I was the butt of jokes while growing up on Tatooine and then it was the Rogues' turn to harass me. It's when you don't get tricks pulled on you that you have to worry."

I frowned in confusion. "Why's that?"

Luke stopped in front of my gas fireplace and looked at the items displayed on my mantle. "Because it means you're not one of them. They pull jokes on people they like. Corran likes you…and it wasn't him that posted the holo."

"How do you know for sure?"

"I asked Ghent to do some slicing. It looks like somebody with the screen name "Luvbigboys28" posted the holo. The HoloNet provider number belongs to a woman with a history of posting remix videos of…well, big boys. In other words, it wasn't Corran or anybody else you know behind this."

My head dropped. "Does the public know I'm a Jedi apprentice?"

Luke shook his head. "No, it seems that the crew of the Wild Karrde publicly claimed you as one of their own. People know that Mara was a trader on the Wild Karrde, so you being seen with Jedi is understandable."

I took another deep cleansing breath. "Fine, Corran wasn't responsible," I said, but I continued to feel miserable. "I still would like to get out of here for a while. Could I get my flight training? Is that possible?"

Luke gave me a lopsided grin. "I've already arranged it. Our misadventures in the Moonflower Nebula taught me the importance of having all of my Jedi certified as starship pilots."

The tenseness in my muscles suddenly disappeared and I felt like a weight of the world was taken off my shoulders. "Thanks Luke. I really appreciate it."

"No problem," he said with a sympathetic nod as he turned his attention back to my collection of artifacts procured during my salvage mission to Byss. At the center of the mantle was a helmet of an Imperial Sentinel. I recovered it from one of the cargo crates we found floating in space. Luke picked it up and looked at it.

"Isn't this full faced helmet of an Imperial Sentinel?" he asked.

I nodded. "I recovered it on the Byss salvage mission. Don't worry, there wasn't a head in it when I found it. It has a sentimental meaning. I was wearing a mask like that when I first met Kira."

Luke looked at me and then back to the full face helmet. I can tell he was trying to stifle a smile. "So, does Kira like this mask?"

ARRGGGHHHH! I know what he's thinking. While on the Eye of Palpatine I mentioned Kira wouldn't like seeing me without a beard because of my resemblance to Luke and that I might need to wear my mask to bed. He's probably thinking that I wear that helmet as some type of bedroom dress-up fantasy game. Which really, really irritates me…because he always guesses these things right.

"Yes, she's fond of it," I said slowly.

I could see him bite down on his lower lip to keep himself from smirking.

"Oh," was all he said as he carefully returned the helmet to it place on the mantle. At least he had the decency not to tease me. Gods, I hope he doesn't ask me what I'm doing with the Stormtrooper armor I wore back from the Eye of Palpatine.

Luke walked over to where I sat on the couch and placed his hand on my shoulder and giving it a friendly squeeze.

"Mark, you are one of my best students. I don't know exactly what fate the Force has for you, but through my meditations I have seen glimpses of you. I think these are visions of the Future. The Force brought us together for a reason. The future is always in motion, but I see you playing some pivotal role among the Jedi…and sometimes I think there is something else."

Luke stopped. I waited for him to continue. When he didn't I prompted him. "What else?"

Luke shook his head. "I'm not sure how, but I see you having a role in bringing balance to the Force."

I wasn't sure I liked the sound of that. Luke's father was supposed to bring balance to the Force, but he ended up killing hundreds of Jedi. If that is what it takes to bring balance…then I'll make do with a horribly lopsided universe.

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Mark! You kinky boy! Lol. Great entry.

Good luck on NaNo! I wish I could join you but I'm in a writer's rut and Darth University doesn't help.

5. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I wonder what he does do with that armor? [face_thinking] :p

6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks Hazel and Briannakin for reading. I don't think Mark is the kinky one as much as Kira. She has a thing for a man in uniform.

ENTRY 83: Cargo and Commercial Passenger Spaceflight Academy, Coruscant

I started flight school last week. It is a civilian school here on Coruscant. Once I get commercial freighter certification Luke said he would arrange for me to be temporarily assigned to Rogue Squadron where his friend Wedge would instruct me on flying military spacecraft. Kira was ecstatic that all of my flight instruction would be based out of Coruscant. Although I would be staying at my apartment in the evenings, it was good to get away from people who personally know me for at least part of the day. At flight school I became anonymous…no more 'Do the Tantiss' taunts.

Corran and I are friends again. It wasn't practical to be mad at him since Kira keeps inviting him and Mirax over to dinner. He even offered to give me two of the Smashball Championship tickets. But since Kira and I are not smashball fans, we declined. The last that I heard he gave the two tickets to his father-in-law Booster. From what Corran told me there was some tension between the two men…something about Corran not being good enough for Booster's little girl. Hopefully those tickets will help change the older man's mind.

ENTRY 84: Hobbie and Wes, Rogue Squadron, Coruscant.

I breezed through commercial spacecraft certification. It helped that Chin had already taught me a lot of what I needed to know. Now it was time to learn how to fly military fighters.

I started training with Rogue Squadron and what Luke said about those guys being practical jokers was true. Wedge is a straight shooter, but that Wes Janson is something else. The first thing he did to me was reprogram the full motion flight simulators so I would have to deal with implausible situations…like the time the simulator put me up against ten Death Stars. I think I lasted about five seconds in that recreation. Later he put a bumper sticker on the back of my X-Wing that said, "How's my driving? Dial 188-Rent-a-Jedi". Later he tried to convince me that there was an Ewok fighter pilot in Rogue Squardon named Lieutenant Kettch. He had a very detailed bio for the small furry pilot…unfortunately for Wes, I could sense deceit on his part and didn't fall for it.

He also drove me crazy asking me stupid questions about the Jedi. He wanted to know if I could do a Jedi Mind trick to get an attractive female pilot to go out with him. I told him that even Luke, the Jedi Master, wasn't strong enough in the Force to pull that off.

But what they did near the end of my training was the worst prank. One day while I was out flying an A-Wing, Hobbie and Wes broke into my storage locker and got hold of this datapad. My journal is password protected, but they were still able to mess with the text functions of the comlink application. They reprogramed the autocorrect functions so when I write certain words correctly they autocorrect to something different. So when I typed in Luke it changed to lick, craft became kriff or grounded became pounded. They must have gone through the entire dictionary.

So when I texted Mara asking her to "Tell Luke everything went well today" it some how ended up as "Tail lick every wet ball boytoy." I realized what happened less than a nanosecond after I pushed the send button. I immediately wrote back, "Damn autocorrect!" Mara received the message as, "Doing auto-erotic".

I quickly got on my regular comlink to talk to her personally. I explained to her that it was a Rogue prank. She laughed and told me she completely understood…and then forwarded the texts to just about everybody I know. Thanks Mara. Sometimes it's a pain in the butt having a pseudo-sister.

By the time I was certified to fly the various military spacecraft I was ready to kill Wes and Hobbie.

But I took the high road and let them live…after I Force levitated their X-Wings and left them lying upside down in the hanger bay. Jerks.

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    He wanted to know if I could do a Jedi Mind trick to get an attractive female pilot to go out with him. I told him that even Luke, the Jedi Master, wasn't strong enough in the Force to pull that off.

Luke don't need no mind trick to get women to go out with them :p

Damn autocorrect. That is why I have a (an)droid cell ;) Much smarter than those stupid i thingies (as she types this on her iPad).

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sorry. Double post. My iPad hates me.

9. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Rogues will be Rogues, and those two take the price. [face_laugh]

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Briannakin and Hazel thanks for reading. I think the Rogues wouldn't need help getting most ladies...but a female Rogue pilot might be immune to their charm since she's around them all the time. Thanks for reading!

ENTRY 85: Mara and Baby, Coruscant

The Jedi Temple is finally complete. It is beautiful and enormous. There are classrooms, meditation rooms, libraries, offices, dormitories and staff quarters.

My favorite area is the upper courtyard, which is covered by a transparisteel pyramid to keep it out of the elements, but it otherwise looks like an outdoor park. It's an enormous open area where people can enjoy the feel of the outdoors. At one corner of the courtyard is a large Olbio tree where Nibbles and her companion (who I named Pisser because of her tendency to urinate on me whenever I picked her up) live most of the time. That is the area where we do calisthenics. I sometimes bring them into the weight room where I have nutrient cages set up. I also have a nice cage set up in my new quarters in the Temple. As promised Luke put my apartment as far away from his quarters as possible so I don't have to shield from him all the time.

We have over a dozen Jedi apprentices now and I was put in charge of getting those recruits into shape. They don't like the training. They complain that with the Force they don't need big muscles. That is just not true. Physical strength helps in combat…even with the Force. You don't want to have to split your concentration to use the Force to wield your saber and also use the Force to drag your fat butt up a hill. Anyway, the Jedi have an image to maintain. Out-of-shape Jedi don't look professional.

I helped Luke and Mara move into their new quarters once the Temple opened. Note to self: Never again volunteer to help somebody move! Gods! Mara is one grouchy pregnant woman. I swear I couldn't do anything right that day. She was directing Luke and me as we tried to shove their sectional couch through the door of their quarters. 'Turn it up on its side, rotate it this way, spin it that way.' The problem wasn't that it was heavy…we can levitate it. It was just too big. Eventually we had to remove the legs to shove it through the door.

Stang! I don't know if I ever want kids if I have to deal with a cranky pregnant woman for nine months…and I probably shouldn't have said that out loud.

Mara went off on me saying, "If you had to haul around thirty extra pounds and had a baby pushing down on your bladder all day you would be cranky too!"

Luckily there are only three more weeks until Mara's due date. I think it's going to be a huge baby based on how enormous her belly is…although our Jedi healer Cilghal said the baby's weight is normal.

Luke has a permanent grin on his face. Even an irritable mom-to-be can't affect his mood. I'd sometimes stop by his office and he will be in there massaging Mara's feet or his hand will be on her belly trying to feel the baby.

Mara said the baby would kick up a storm when Luke puts his hand on her stomach, but wouldn't do it for anybody else. She said, "Go ahead and try."

I felt weird touching Mara's bulging stomach, but I am a bit curious as to what my future nephew might feel like through the Force. I placed my hand on her stomach but jerked my hand back in shock when the little guy kicked. Mara smiled and looked a little surprised. "You must feel like Luke through the Force," she surmised.

I grinned. "Can I try again?"

Mara nodded and I placed my hand on her belly again. The baby started kicking. You can actually see where his foot is pushing on the interior of her abdomen.

I can't help but feel excited. I am going to have a nephew. Mara may not truly be my sister, but I am a genetic brother to Luke. This little guy is a blood relative. I realize that I am theoretically an uncle to Leia's children, but she has yet to introduce me to them as such. I think she doesn't want to confuse her kids. We tell people I am Mara's long lost brother whenever asked.

I don't know if it is because I am a clone, but to me having a family is the greatest gift in life. I couldn't be happier for Luke and Mara and their expanding family. I can't believe I'm going to be an uncle. I really look forward to seeing my new nephew.

ENTRY 86: Birth of Ben, Coruscant

It was ironic that the last sentence of the preceding entry stated I couldn't wait to see Luke and Mara's baby…because he came almost two weeks early. It was evening when I felt a spike of pain through the Force. I immediately knew it was from Mara. Kira and I were at the dinner table when it happened. She looked at me, concerned. "What is it Mark?"

I jumped out of my seat. "It's Mara. She's in pain." I ran out the door with Kira following me. As I ran down the Temple halls I could hear Kira behind me trying to keep up. "Do you think it's the baby?" she yelled.

"I think so," I said when we finally got to their quarters. I didn't bother knocking; I just barged right in. I saw Mara leaning against a wall in the living room. Her hand was on her belly and she was grimacing in pain. I ran up to her and helped her get to the couch. "Is it the baby?"

She nodded. "He's early and I think he is in a hurry to get out."

The fact that I didn't get a snarky response to my stupid question really got me worried. I reached out with the Force and felt an emotion coming from Mara that was almost foreign…she was scared. At that point I totally panicked. Gods! I don't know anything about birthing babies! I pulled my comlink and called Cilghal.

"Cilghal here," I heard a gravelly voice come over the device.

"I'm in Mara's quarters and she is having her baby. We need you here now!"

"I'm in a speeder with Luke and we are about five minutes out. We were in the Senate when Luke felt Mara's pain though the Force."

I just about jumped out of my skin when Mara let out an earsplitting scream. "Oh Kriff!" I stammered. I turned to Kira. "What do we do?"

She looked just as scared. "I don't know. I've never had a baby!"

I get back on the comlink to Cilghal. "Should we call an ambulance?"

"No, I will be there before a medical speeder can arrive."

Mara let out another loud scream of pain. "I think he's coming out," she moaned. "Kira, help me lay down on the ground."

"Already!" I cried out.

Kira assisted Mara to the carpeted floor. "How long have you been having contractions?"

Mara clutched her belly and through the Force I could feel pain emanating from her. "They started less than an hour ago. I thought I would have hours before I was ready to give birth, but suddenly the contractions started getting closer and closer together and more intense."

"Oh no," Kira groaned before she ran off to get some towels.

Mara screamed again and I frantically started yelling at Cilghal over the comlink. "Gods! Hurry!"

"Mark," Cilghal said calmly. "Get Mara to do her breathing."

"She's breathing!" I yelled. "Can't you hear her screaming? She has to breathe to scream!"

Luke got on the comlink."Mark get down next to Mara and coach her through this. Tell her to do the breathing techniques we practiced. It's simple…it's like a Vornskr panting. Short and quick breaths."

I got down next to Mara. "Mara you're supposed to pant like a Vornskr!"

"What!" she screamed at me.

"You have to pant like this." I started breathing fast in and out, demonstrating the technique. I may know absolutely nothing about delivering babies, but I do know how a Vornskr pants when it's hot, thanks to the Vornskr duty Karrde always made me pull.

Kira put a towel over the bottom half of Mara to protect her modesty. (At this point I just have to interject a thank you to Kira. There are certain things a brother doesn't want to see…his sister giving birth is one of them). She did some rearranging of Mara's clothing so she could deliver.

I was on my knees talking to Mara and trying to get her to breathe. "You need to breathe," I said as I continued to take quick shallow breaths to demonstrate.

"I am breathing you moron!" Mara practically snarled at me.

'Damn, don't shoot the messenger', I thought. I wasn't the one who got her in this situation. I was beginning to wonder where in the hell was Luke?

"No. You need to take quick shallow breaths," I said, continuing to demonstrate them, and feeling useless.

"I think I see the head," Kira yelled out.

I don't know if it was the excessive breathing or the stress, but suddenly blackness started swimming in front of my eyes and then I was out.

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yay the baby is coming! Hehehehe. Mark fainted.

12. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    :D :D Baby Ben wants to come out and play with uncle Mark.

13. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    hahahaahahah, awww Mark. I hope they don't trip over him on the way out!! LOL He'll be a wonderful Uncle. [face_love]

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks Briannakin, Hazel and ginchy for reading. Here comes baby Ben.

ENTRY 87: Coruscant

I woke up sometime later, dazed and confused. I rolled over in bed and collided with a bedrail. I then realized I was in the Temple's medical center.

"What happened?" I muttered.

There was a curtain separating the two beds in the room. Cilghal came over from the other side of the curtain to speak to me. "Mark your overly enthusiastic demonstration the proper breathing technique resulted in hyperoxygenation which lead to a Situational Syncope."

"Huh?" I said.

"You fainted like a big baby!" I heard Mara's voice come from the other side of the curtain, followed by a laugh from Kira.

I sat up in the bed. "Mara! Is the baby all right?"

"He's fine," Luke said as he peaked around the curtain. "Mara's feeding him."

"I would open the curtain and let you see him, but I don't want you fainting at the sight of a woman breast feeding." Mara chuckled. I then heard her say to somebody, "He's done eating."

"Yeah, I think I will pass on that," I said dryly. "Who delivered the baby?"

Luke came around the curtain with a swaddled newborn. "I did," he said with the biggest smile I have ever seen. "Cilghal was with me, but I did most of the work." Kira opened the curtain and I finally saw Mara in the other bed. She looked exhausted and her hair was disheveled, but she was absolutely glowing with happiness. In fact, I bet any Force user within a hundred kilometer radius could feel the boundless joy projecting from the new parents.

Luke brought the baby closer to me to see. "Ben, this is your Uncle Mark."

He’s a beautiful baby. He has wisps of red hair and the bluest eyes. "Can I hold him?" I asked.

"Sure," Luke handed me the precious bundle and I cradled the baby in my arms. Ben looked up to me and I swear he smiled. Kira came to stand next to me and looked down at the baby lovingly.

"I want one of these," I said softly.

She looked over to Luke and Mara and then back to me with a conspiratorial expression. "Okay, but I think it is going to be hard sneaking him out past his parents."

I laughed. "I guess I will have to settle on making our own." I look up at Luke. "He's a handsome boy."

Luke smiled as he took his son back into his arms. "He is beautiful. He is the spitting image of his mother." He leaned down and kissed his son on the forehead. Then to my surprise the Jedi Master and leader of the new Jedi Order broke out into a silly banter. "Yesss you are. You are beautiful like your mother. You're just so cute. Who's my baby? You are!"

It is hard to explain the tone of Luke's voice. It is a high-pitched cartoonish type of talk, which I have never heard before in my life.

"Kira," I whispered. "What's wrong with Luke?"

She laughed. "That's the way parents talk to babies. It's normal. Babies understand sing-songy voices better."

I let out a relieved breath. "Good, for a moment I thought Luke had a stroke or something and was having trouble speaking." I lay back in bed. "I can't believe I passed out and missed everything."

Kira smirked. "Well you did wake up for a moment during delivery. You took one look at the baby as Luke pulled Ben free and promptly passed out again. That time you almost fell on Mara, so Cilghal decided to give you a mild sedative so you didn't fall again and crush someone."

I groaned in embarrassment. This might be worse than the Tantiss Dance!

Mara laughed at my discomfort. "We now know Mark Tantiss' big weakness…newborn babies. If a Sith attacks you he won't need a lightsaber. He just has to hold up a baby and say 'Stand back. I have a newborn!'"

"Funny Mara," I muttered but I couldn't help but smile. Mara and Luke were parents and now I was an uncle. At that moment I didn't think life could get any better.

Well, maybe it could get a little better. I can't wait until Kira and I are married and we can have a baby of our own. We have the date set and are making arrangements for our wedding. It can't happen soon enough for me.

15. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I've said this many times and here is one more - I adore Mark! He is so cute and sweet. [face_love]

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    AWwwwwww! I've read this many times over at ff.n, but it's just so cute! Love Daddy!Luke and Uncle Mark is a sweetie!

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Hazel -- Thanks. He is a cutie. He is a Gary Stu when it comes to being a really nice guy. Briannakin -- Luke I could imagine being a wonderful father. I don't remember much interaction between Ben and his parents during the Vong war. That is unfortunate. Mark is going to be a good uncle. Thanks for reading guys.[:D]

ENTRY 88: Bachelor Party, Coruscant

It's the night before my wedding. I'm finally getting married. I can hardly believe it! I thought I would have to postpone the nuptials when some trouble popped up with a faction of the Imperial Remnant called the Empire Reborn. The group foolishly tried to attack the Jedi Temple, but were easily thwarted by the incredibly comprehensive and tight security protocols establish by Luke (although I have a feeling Mara was the main consultant for the project. Mara could break into just about any fortress…therefore she was the best person to tell engineers and security professionals the best way to protect one). Anyway, the interlopers were quickly rounded up and handed over to Coruscanti police. We can only hope this is the last we hear of the Empire Reborn.

I wanted to get a good night's sleep before my wedding day, but my friends had other plans. A few days ago I was told there was a bachelor party planned in my honor. It was Chin's idea…Chin being the Best Man at my wedding. The fact he planned the party made me a little nervous.

When Kira found out she balked at first. She was sure there were going to be strippers. I told her if it made her feel better I would bring her brothers with me. She gave me a devious grin and agreed. Kira failed to mention that her brothers liked to party…a lot. Jaycen and Shon met me at my apartment at the Jedi Temple and we took a skytaxi to the Smuggler's Redoubt, a cantina that took great pains to look like a swoop gang bar, but actually catered to an upper-middle class clientele.

When we get there we were immediately greeted by Chin who looked like he got to the party early to tend to the details and also to about five mugs of ale.

"Yo Mark!" He gave me a firm handshake and a slap on the shoulder. He looked over at Jaycen and Shon and grinned. "You guys have to be related to Kira."

There is a strong family resemblance. Both men are tall and tanned like Kira and both have dark eyes and hair. Jaycen is the older of the two, but is smaller than his younger brother. He is slight in build and has straight fine hair with a double cowlick in the back of his head that makes his hair stick up in all directions. Shon, on the other hand, is about eight centimeters taller than his brother and has a muscular build and thick wavy hair.

I introduced the two men to Chin.

"We have an open bar and food in the back room," Chin told us. "Go help yourselves."

Kira's brothers grinned and quickly made way to the back. As soon as they were out of earshot I gave Chin a knowing look. "You do know those two are Kira's spies…so I hope you don't have any surprises for me that will get my wedding cancelled."

Chin gave me his most innocent look. "Who me? Would I do that to you?"

I chuckled. "Yes you would. Promise me there aren't going to be strippers."

"Strippers…no…that would mean they actually had clothes on when they started dancing."

I punched him in the arm. "No women!" I warned him.

Chin gave me is trademark smirk. "Okay, just a lot of alcohol and food."

He was telling the truth. There was a ton of food and an open bar. Chin must not have spent all of his reward credits on the ladies after all. We grabbed some beverages and walked around talking to friends…mostly smugglers and Jedi. It is an odd assortment of people to bring together, but everybody seemed to get along.

I walked to the back room and I saw Shon talking to Luke. He has met Luke a few times, but is still impressed by his celebrity and takes every opportunity to talk to the Jedi.

"Mark, Mark! Come here!" Shon called me over with a slight slur to his voice. We have only been to the party for forty minutes and by the collection of empty glasses on the table next to him, it looks like Shon already had three or four ales. He was standing next to Luke who had an amused look on his face.

"What is it Shon?" I asked.

"Luke was telling me such a cool story. He said he was once infected with Olabrian Tichoid parasites. Do you know how he got rid of them?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Medicine?"

"No, no, no, get this," Shon laughed boisterously; he was definitely tipsy. "He used the Force to talk to the parasites and he convinced them to crawl up his trachea and out of his body."

My stomach lurched a bit. "What?" I turned to Luke. "Does Mara know this?"

Yuck!

Luke looked like he was going to reply but was interrupted by Shon. "Oh that's not even the coolest story," he continued. "Did you know he was attacked by rakghouls and a giant worm called a Watchbeast!" Shon shook his head with a look of amazement. "You Jedi have all the fun." With that he wandered off toward the direction of the open bar.

My brow creased in confusion…exactly what part of that sounded fun?

"You having a good time?" Luke asked.

I looked down at the plate of roasted bird wings I was eating. "Yeah, but the food is awful."

Luke laughed. "No the food is good; you're just used to eating at a five star restaurant. Kira spoils you."

I had to smile. She does spoil me. "Doesn't Mara do any cooking for you?"

Luke shook his head. "Not unless you count heating up ration bars. But that's okay, I know how to cook and she has other talents that make up for her lack of culinary skills," he said with a smirk.

I have to chuckle. "I bet." I hesitated for a second. "You are talking about her fighting skills…right?"

Luke winked at me. "Sometimes things do get a little rough."

Stang, how many drinks did Luke have? He almost never jokes about things like that.

"Okay," I said slowly deciding to move the discussion to a safer topic. "How's the baby?"

Luke grinned happily and I swear he actually puffed his chest out like he wanted to proudly profess his outstanding procreation skills.

"Ben is amazing. He is getting so big. And he's strong. His little hand will grab my finger and squeeze it." Luke stopped for a second with a totally besotted look on his face. "I love him so much. Having him is my greatest accomplishment. Forget about becoming a Jedi or blowing up the Death Star, they are nothing compared to becoming a father."

I had to smile. Luke and Mara deserved this type of happiness. Both had been through so much. They sacrificed so much. It was now their turn to be happy.

"I'm happy for you and Mara," I said sincerely. "I hope to have kids of my own one day."

"You won't regret it," Luke said with a big grin.

"How is Mara handling the midnight feedings?" I asked and noticed Luke's smile faltered for a second.

"She's pretty tired. She insists on breastfeeding. I can't help because she goes on about the dangers of nipple confusion. I don't know why Ben would be confused about nipples."

I started to laugh. "Luke, that is probably too much information."

He smiled sheepishly. "You're probably right."

I gave him a friendly pat on the shoulder. "I better continue my rounds. I'm going to see if I can find Karrde."

I walked around the tavern until I finally located Talon Karrde sitting in a corner booth nursing a drink. I walked over to my former boss and slid in the seat across from him. Talon smiled and raised his drink in a salute. "Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials."

"Thanks, I look forward to it."

Karrde gave me a furtive look. "Your future-brother-in-laws are quite entertaining."

I sighed. "What did they do now?"

Karrde grinned. "Jaycen told me about how you singlehandedly killed Palpatine in hand-to-hand combat. You then took out all the guards in the detention area. I was under the impression that there were only two, but the way Jaycen describes it there was an entire legion of the Emperor's best men guarding Kira. You saved his sister, escaped the planet and then used the Force to blow up Byss with your mind." He sipped his drink and then looked up at me. "I am impressed."

I rolled my eyes. "I didn't tell them any of that. I don't know how these stories get exaggerated. I'll clear it up with them." I went to stand but Karrde reached across the table grabbing the sleeve of my tunic and pulled me back into my seat.

"Let them believe that. Having the in-laws thinking you can walk on lava doesn't hurt."

My eyes went wide. "Jaycen didn't tell you I walked on lava did he?"

Karrde shook his head. "No, that was Shon. According to him, you walked across lava, wrestled a fire dragon and saved Luke's life."

I groaned and let my head drop to the table and banged it a couple times to emphasize my frustration. "They didn't!"

Talon laughed. "They did and I noticed that the stories get more exciting with every drink they have."

"Great…I guess I should round them up and bring them home before they start telling people I can shoot Force lightning from my eyes."

Karrde burst out in laughter. "Too late. They already made that claim, but the lightning wasn't coming out of your eyes in their story."

I gave a mortified moan. "Please tell me they said it came from my fingertips."

Karrde smirked. "Not quite, they said you could…"

"Stop!" I pleaded. "I don't want to know." I looked around. "Have you seen them?"

Karrde pointed across the crowded room where Han was talking to Jaycen.

"Thanks," I said to Karrde and then went over to see Han. The smuggler was probably on his fifth or six drink and probably just as tipsy as Kira's brothers. Jaycen smiled at my approach. "Hey Mark, did you know Han did the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs?"

I smiled. "Yes, I think he told me that once or a dozen times."

"Did you know Han and Chewie…"Jaycen pointed over to Han's Wookiee co-pilot sitting in a corner booth. "…started a religious cult?"

I looked over to Han. "No, he failed to mention that."

Han gave me his characteristic cocky smile. "It was called the Cult of Varn." He made a dismissive gesture. "It was nothing. Chewie and I ran a makeshift holotheater on the desert world of Kamar and the only holofilm we had was about the water world of Varn. How would we know it would literally become a cult classic?"

"You are always full of surprises, Han, but I think it's time for me to get my brothers home."

Han frowned. "No, they're not bothering anybody. This is your party, relax, and live a little."

"Yeah, live a little," Jaycen repeated enthusiastically.

I sighed and reluctantly walked away. I spent some time with Kam, Corran and Kyle. All three of us get along well. Which is good because we spend a lot of time together instructing the new Jedi recruits. I suspect I will be attending another bachelor party soon. Kam and the Jedi Historian Tionne have become extremely close and rumor has it a wedding may be in their near future.

Kyle and Jem (from the Ysanna tribe) have been seeing each other off and on since they met. Which is good because Jem had a bad habit of watching Luke while he did his kata exercises. I guess there is something about a shirtless, sweaty Luke Skywalker performing a smooth choreographed pattern of movements that attracts women. If this datapad had icons symbolizing emotions I would place rolling eyes right about here.

Jem would watch Luke work out much to Mara's irritation. Now that I think about it, I believe it was Mara that introduced Jem to Kyle. It seems she likes playing matchmaker. Anyway, now Jem is watching Kyle all the time, which is a more appropriate and definitely a much safer pastime.

It started to get late. I needed to get up early to prepare for the wedding. So I decided to round up my future brothers-in-law and head home.

I looked around the bustling party and found Jaycen and Shon talking to Chewie…which surprised me since I didn't know they spoke Shyriiwook. I sat down in the booth with the Wookiee and Kira's brothers in time to hear Chewbacca growling something to Shon. The inebriated man shook his head angrily. "I don't know what you said, but I'm sure those are fighting words."

What the Force? He's picking a fight with a 6.3 meter Wookiee?

"Are they bothering you Chewie?" I asked. The Wookiee just chuckled and growled out a few sentences. I didn't understand the language, but through the Force I got the impression that he said "They're all yours."

Shon looked over to me with heavily lidded eyes. "You better be good to our baby sister or me and Jaycen," he nodded toward his equally inebriated brother. "…we'll have to kick your butt."

I suppressed my laughter. They could try…and if I ever hurt Kira I know they would try. They are very protective of her. "Shon, Jaycen…Kira is the love of my life. I swear I will never hurt her or do anything to disappoint her."

"You better not!" Jaycen exclaimed and then passed out, his head hitting the table.

"I think I better get you two home."

Shon stood up and then collapsed to the ground. I glared at Chin who was laughing across the room. "Chin, what were they drinking? Am I going to have to get their stomachs pumped?"

"Nah, they should be okay," Chin laughed. "They're just lightweights."

I groaned as I picked up the brothers…one under each of my arms. I had Chin call up a skytaxi for me. I tossed the two men into the backseat and hoped they wouldn't vomit. I didn't need a cleaning bill and irate taxi driver.

I pinched the bridge of my nose in frustration.

"Kira is going to kill me." I moaned.

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Heheheh - Jaycen and Shon - I see what you did there ;) Those two must have been a handful as boys. Their poor mother must be insane ;)

Luke gushing on about baby Ben was sooo sweet!

19. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    The story about Luke and the parasites - is it cannon or did you make it up? [face_laugh]

And why do these bachlor parties always lead to trouble? These boys cannot behave.

20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    It is canon. Yuck.

21. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Double yuck.[face_sick]

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Briannakin -- LOL! Those two are a handful! I wish Luke and Mara were able to enjoy raising their baby in the profics instead of having Ben hiding in the Maw with Abeloth giving him nightmares.

Hazel -- I was reading over stuff Luke did prior to this time on Wookieepedia and read that. I can't remember if that was a book or comic, but it was gross. [face_sick]

This next post will be short. I figure Mark would be writing it after the wedding...and he probably had better things to do than write in a datapad. ;)

Surprisingly, Kira didn't kill me when I walked into our apartment with her two highly intoxicated and unconscious brothers. In fact she thought it was somewhat amusing—that is until Shon threw up on the rug. She then had me drag their drunken behinds into the ‘fresher where she had put down blankets on the floor for them to sleep off their hangover.

In the morning they dragged themselves back home to dress, both swearing to never ever drink again. Ha! So far I am the only person I know of who made that vow and kept it.

Kira and I were married in the Jedi Temple with Luke officiating over the ceremony. It was a small wedding. Kira had her family: Mom, Dad, hung-over brothers and a few other relatives. Luke, Mara, the Solos, the Wild Karrde crew, and a few Jedi students acted as my family.

We wrote our own vows. I spent hours trying to memorize them, but I was sure my mind would go blank when the time came to recite them. Just to be sure I had a little cheat sheet taped to the sleeve of my tunic, which was covered by my Jedi robes. And yes, I know I said I hated those robes, but it was a Jedi ceremony in the Jedi temple and officiated by a Jedi Master… and Mara said she would shoot me if I showed up in cargo pants and Beskar armor.

My vows went like this:

Kira, from the moment I first saw you, I knew you were the one for me…the woman with whom I wanted to share my life. Today I take you as my wife and together we will create a home and a family, becoming a part of one another. I promise to love you for eternity, honoring you, being faithful to you, and sharing my life with you. I will cherish you for as long as we both shall live. This is my solemn vow as a man, a husband and a Jedi.

I think that is what I said while up there, but I was so nervous I could have recited the Jedi code. Nobody said anything after the ceremony, so I think I nailed it.

These were Kira's vows:

Mark, you have been my hero since the moment we met. I will always remember your first words to me. 'I'm Mark Tantiss, I'm here to rescue you'…and you did.

Today I become your wife and you become my husband. You are the bravest, kindest, and most generous person I have ever known, and I promise always to respect you and love you. I will laugh with you in times of joy and comfort you in times of sorrow. I will share in your dreams, and support you as you strive to achieve your goals. I vow to help create a life that we can cherish together. You are my best friend and I will love and respect you always. This is my solemn vow.

We kiss and turned to the audience. Luke announced, "Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my honor to present Mark and Kira Tantiss."

The day of my wedding is officially the happiest day of my life to date.

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    D'AWWWWWW!

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  24. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I'm squeeing over here :) [face_love]

25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks Briannakin and Hazel. For the last month-and-a-half of this Diary Challenge the entries will be a little more about Mark and Kira. He is becoming his own man and stepping out from Luke's shadow. I hope you enjoy the entries anyway, even if they are more OC orientated.

Thanks for reading!

ENTRY 90: Baby planning, Coruscant

Shortly after our wedding I talked to Kira about having a baby. I was pleasantly surprised to find her so receptive to the idea. I guess that biological clock was ticking after all. I was ecstatic. I like the idea of having children and I will definitely enjoy the baby making process.

For some reason I thought making a baby would be a snap…I mean Luke didn't seem to have any problems getting Mara pregnant. But for some reason things were not happening for Kira and me. After months of trying I started to get nervous that maybe during the cloning process when C'baoth was tinkering with Luke's DNA he decided to make me sterile. It would make sense if I were truly destined to be the Dark Jedi's Imperial Sentinel. You don't want a brain dead giant with raging hormones running around your Imperial stronghold.

After a while I could see Kira was blaming herself. She thought she waited too long to have a child…which is ridiculous. She's only approaching thirty; she has plenty of years to have kids.

I had an awful feeling that I was the problem, so I made an appointment with the doctor. Stang, that was one very awkward appointment.

I was scheduled to have a motility test done. I show up to the office and the receptionist handed me a sterile cup and pointed me to a line of doors down the hall. I entered an empty room and locked the door behind me. It was a stark functional area with a lone padded chair covered with sterile exam table paper, some hand lotion… and holoporn. I cringed at the thought of what I was being asked to do.

Arrggghh…I just couldn't do it. I was positive that the people in the waiting room and walking the halls could hear what was going on inside. Also, what if one of the clinic workers had set up secret cameras and I ended up on a seedier part of the holonet. Gods, I could imagine turning up in someone's holoporn collection…or Chin's holoporn collection. I couldn't envision what teasing I would get from him then. I went back out and talked to the medical receptionist.

"Is there a way I can do this at home?" I asked quietly.

She gave me a tired look. She must hear that question all the time. "You can but the sample needs to be in our office no longer than twenty minutes after you make your deposit."

I am doing some calculations in my head. I live thirty minutes from the fertility clinic, but I am only ten minutes from my private office at the restaurant. I couldn't believe I was actually considering this. I look back down the hall to the little room and then back to all of the men and women in the waiting area.

"I'll be back." I told the receptionist.

I drive to the restaurant and prayed I could get to my office 'fresher before anybody saw me and asked me why I was there. But I am never that lucky.

"Mark," I hear Kira's voice from the kitchen. "What are you doing here?" I turned and tried to give her my 'I'm not doing anything wrong' look…which for some reason always tips her off that I am doing something wrong. I still think she is a Force-sensitive and she just doesn't want to tell me—I swear she can read my mind.

She stopped and put her hands on her hips and glared at me. "What are you up to?"

"Who, me?" I say innocently. "Nothing, I just needed to work something out in the office." I made a shooing motion with my hand. "Go back to work; I don't want to disturb you."

She mimicked my hand gesture. "Are you trying to shoo me away? You're definitely hiding something. Tell me."

I looked around the busy kitchen with busboys and cooks darting around. "Come on into the office." I said with a sigh.

She gives me a look of concern as she followed me inside. I lock the door behind us and reached into my pocket pulling out the sterile sample cup. "I need to provide a sperm sample for the fertility doctor I'm seeing. I didn't want to do it in the clinic."

Kira's face fell and she went to the office desk and sat down in the leather-padded chair. I can see the blood draining from her face.

"Mark, we haven't been trying too long," she said quietly. "My doctor said we shouldn't start worrying until a year had passed. Do you think we can't have kids?"

I heaved a sigh. "Kira, I'm Luke's clone, but his DNA was altered and I was mutated into what I am today. A Dark Jedi created me. We can never forget that. Who knows what he did to me…he could have wanted me sterile."

I could see tears forming in her eyes. "Oh Mark," was all she said.

I leaned heavily against the wall and looked at the floor sadly. "I'm sorry Kira. I should have thought of this possibility before we got married."

She looked at me compassionately. "Mark, I'm sad because I know how much this means to you. You want a family. I would love to have your children, but if we can't... Mark I love you and want to be with you—children or no children."

She stood and walked over to me, pulling me into an embrace. I hugged her fiercely holding back tears. "We don't know if there is a problem or not. I just wanted to get checked." I leaned down and captured her lips with mine. As we pulled apart she smiled at me coyly.

"Okay, well you better get started then," she maneuvered me toward our small office couch and pushed me to a seated position and then went back to her desk chair and stared at me with a smug look on her face.

"What? Here with you watching me?" I asked a little shocked. I must confess…I'm shy. "Kira, you know I am not an exhibitionist."

She chuckled. "C'baoth really did tinker with Skywalker's genes."

I frowned at her. "Why do you say that?"

She laughed. "I told you, Mara and I sometimes have 'girl talk'"

I turned bright red. "You talk about me to Mara?"

She was laughing harder now. "Mark, Mara and I are married to men with identical DNA…or at least started out that way…we were just curious as to how you two are the same and different."

I shifted in my seat uncomfortably. "And?"

"You are definitely more reserved than Luke in some ways."

I frown. "What ways?" But then I decided I didn't want to know. "Stop, don't tell me." I got up and made my way to the 'fresher. "Mara's like my sister, please don't tell her personal stuff about me." I glared at her. "Unless you would like me to tell your brother's what you like to do with whipped cream and ice cubes."

Her eyebrows rose. "You wouldn't!"

I smirked at her, "I would." When I got to the 'fresher door Kira stopped me.

"Mark, let me help you with that." She walked up to me and stood on her toes so she could kiss the side of my jaw. Her hands went under my tunic and I shivered as they caressed their way up my back. I grabbed her up in my arms and gave her a passionate kiss.

"I could use a little help," I said with a grin.
    Twenty minutes later I was out of breath as I screwed the lid on top of the sample cup. "That was awesome Kira!"

She gave me a sultry smile as she tucked her blouse into the top of her skirt. "You weren't bad yourself big boy."

I pulled her into my arms and nibbled on her earlobe. "I really liked that little move you did at the end."

She cocked her head to the side in thought. "Oh you mean the Coruscanti Swirl?"

My jaw dropped. "Is that what that term means?" I chuckled. "I thought it meant something completely different."

She snickered, "Mara told me you asked her what that meant."

I made a choking sound, "Did Mara tell you how that's done?" Gods, I didn't think I could possibly be more embarrassed.

Kira shook her head. "No, Mara just mentioned that you asked about it, but she wouldn't tell me anything else; I think she was too embarrassed. It was Mirax who told me what it meant."

I stand corrected—I could possibly be more embarrassed. "Mirax Horn? What do you women talk about when I'm not around?"

"Well, Mara bragged to us how Luke could do this thing in bed where he…"

"Stop!" I interrupted Kira. "I don't want to know anything about Luke and Mara's sex life or Mirax and Corran's sex life. I don't want to know anything about anyone's sex life."

I put the sample cup in my shirt pocket while shaking my head in disbelief. "I hope you didn't tell Mara what we do with that Stormtrooper armor." I leaned down and gave her a kiss.

She smirked. "No, I kept that to myself."

I let out a relieved breath. "Good, good." I nodded. "Well, I would love to stay and hear more about the dreadfully embarrassing things you and the other ladies talk about behind my back, but I need to get the sample cup to the clinic in twenty minutes."

"Stop by if you need more help," she laughed as she slapped my butt on the way out the door.

I quickly went to my speeder and headed toward the clinic. I arrived fifteen minutes after 'the deposit' and had five more minutes to deliver the sample to the doctor. Unfortunately, when I arrived I found a line for check in. I waited as the receptionist checked in the first person and then the second with excruciating slowness. Finally I realized I would have to do something. I walked up to the front counter past the people waiting in line.

"Excuse me, here's my sample cup!"

"Is that a semen sample sir?" she asked me.

What the kriff! I'm in a karking fertility clinic!? What type of sample would it be? It's not urine for a pregnancy test if it's my sample.

"Yes," I say through clenched teeth. I can feel everybody's eyes on me in the waiting room. I am sure my face is now the same red color as my beard.

"Is your name on the cup?" she asked.

"Yes!"

She holds out a small try. "Please place it on the tray. The doctor will call you when he knows the motility results."

Great! Now I have to place a clear plastic cup full of my swimmers on a tray for all to see. I set the cup down and mercifully she puts the try under the counter and out of sight. I then quickly made my way out of the clinic.

Now all I can do is wait for the results.