main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Journal of the Forgotten Child [Dear Diary Challenge - OC (Skywalkers)] Completed Dec 28th

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Briannakin , Jan 1, 2014.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Touching update, putting those feelings in words, awed

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    If you want to PM someone, click on their icon (the picture beside their posts), a pop up thingy will appear, then click 'start a conversation‘. Hope that helps..

3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Just read this over the last few days, and it's wonderful. Your character of Lukia is so genuine. She is funny and sweet, with a marvelous snarky edge to her. The image of a tattooed, pierced Jedi is perfect. Then, to juxtapose the idea of this edgy girl with the loyal, attentive granddaughter taking care of a failing, beloved grandfather - I love it. She has grown so much.
    Her brothers are a hoot too.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Entry 28

My grandfather is dead.

Grandpa is dead.

Luke Skywalker is dead.

No matter how may times I say it, or write it, I can’t believe it. After over a year of taking care of him, I keep thinking I’m going to have to wake up tomorrow, have to do his laundry, wake him up and feed him breakfast.

My grandfather lasted a couple of days in the halls of healing. Nothing much happened. He mostly slept, refused to eat or talk, and held mine and my father’s hands. I knew he was letting go. I knew it was happening when I went to get some tea and ran into my grandmother.

Yeah, that grandmother.

Mara was glorious in her appearance, yet brief in her speech. “I am coming to get your grandfather in a few minutes. Contact your brothers. Say your goodbyes.”

I nodded and ran back, comm-ing Aku on the way. I told him it was time and that he needed to comm Anik and Jace and that they all needed to come to the halls of healing.

When I got back to my grandfather, my father was holding him in the crook of his arm. They were clasping hands. My grandfather was struggling for each breath, but no one made a move to put the breathing mask back on him. The healers switched off the machines and left, bowing to me as they walked past. I wanted to retreat with them but my grandfather saw me, gave me a weak smile, and held out his free hand. I approached him and took it.

“It will be okay,” my grandfather said with then clarity and strength that he had not possessed in a long time.

He didn’t say anything further until the boys came in and stood at the end of the bed.

“It is time.” He rasped. “I’m sorry. I hear the calling.” He breathed hard. “Jace, you will carry the Skywalker name and tradition with courage.” He swallowed. “Anik, take care of your father for me and keep these guys out of trouble. Aku, never stop being you. You carry on the Jade personality.” He gasped suddenly. He squeezed my hand as I stroked his hair. It was all falling away now.

I will never forget his next words. “Lukia, you will achieve greatness. Thank you for everything.”

Then leaned closer to my father. “Ben, my sweet little boy. You are everything I could have asked for and more.” He took another breath. It would be his last. “I love you all.”

And then he exhaled.

Then the Force seemed to momentarily heave as his body disappeared.

Then it was over.

I don’t remember much after that. I remember my dad breaking down, but I saw my brothers taking care of him and I simply ran.

At first I ran to get out of there, then I ran to get away. And then I ran to forget.

I’m not sure how long I ran. I just didn’t want to process what had happened.

I eventually found myself somewhere in the lower city and I knew I didn’t belong there. So I walked back home. I cried the entire way. I cried until I didn’t have any tears left.

It was the middle of the night when I reached my dad’s apartment. I entered my code and stepped inside. Anik was on the couch, asleep. I walked down the hallway and saw Aku asleep in the office on the pull-out cot. Jace and Henia were on the guest room bed. So I had one option left. I kicked off my boots, robe and over-tunic and climbed into bed with my dad.

He woke. “Lukia?”

“Yeah, it’s me,” I replied, suddenly extremely tired.

“Good,” he replied. “Here, have more blankets.”

I fell asleep as he tucked me in.

Kahara and Random Comments like this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Do you know how absolutely touching that is? =D= @};- @};- Luke is a darling to the literal last second. [face_love] [face_love] And Lukia has indeed grown into a wonderful, caring person... very much a growth process for her through the diary.

6. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Wow! I just managed to catch up to this diary right on time for Luke's death *crying*

I'm glad I did! That was very well done, Bri =D=

Lukia was an amazing caregiver to her grandfather @};-

7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That is just too sad. :_|

8. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    Such is the way of the Force. I have to say that I am very sad that Luke had to go through what he did at the very end. Gasping for air is so upsetting and scary for the one passing and also for loved ones that have to witness it. Just wished he could of said his peace and slipped away in his sleep. Loved Mara being there. That is not uncommon for someone dying to have visitors and I have heard long conversations between the one about to move on and with the spirit there. These sometime happen months in advance before the final event. Sometimes I have also been very surprised who this spirit is. Not the one that I would ever think would come and guide the person over.Super job my friend and thanks.

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks for reading everyone.

Entry 29

We said our last goodbyes to my grandfather today. I dressed in black and stood on a dais for four long hours next to my brothers. The funeral, even though the funeral pyre was empty, was beautiful, and Grandpa would have hated it. My father gave the eulogy and several other relatives spoke including Emperor Fel and Jaina. I spoke as well, as his last apprentice. Dad lit the pyre and it was finally over.

Afterwards, Dad, Anik, Aku, Jace and I had our own, private goodbyes. We met in Grandpa’s chambers, put on some of his favourite music, and opened a bottle of his favourite liquor. My dad, with red rimmed eyes, offered a toast to surviving that horrible funeral.

I then got the tenli wood box out of Grandpa’s closet, and Dad retrieved the last letter. Grandpa had written one final letter. I had no idea who dictated it, but he gave it to me before his health turned for the worst and told me no one was to open it until after he had passed.

I put the box on the table and sat down. Dad opened the flimsy envelope.

“If you are reading this, Ben, Jace, Anik, Aku, and Lukia, it means you are finally rid of me….”

We all burst out, laughing.

“It means I am at peace. I know it is pointless to tell you not to cry or morn, but I assure you, my suffering is over - take comfort in that fact - and I am happy. You will see me again - hopefully it’s when you are old and grey and dead, but I’ll probably have to come haunt you if any of you decide to do something really stupid, which means you all will probably see me once a week.”

Again, we laughed.

“All kidding aside, please don’t make me haunt you. I’m at rest and I want to stay that way. I deserve this.”

We nodded.

“My last days may not be pretty, and I may not get to say what I want, so I’m saying it here. Ben: you have been a wonderful son and I’m proud to call you mine. You have endured much because I was your father, yet you were never angry about it. You took care of me as much as I cared for you. We were more than just father and son, we were friends and I’m glad we had both relationships.

“Jace: I am so glad I got to see you marry. Your future is bright and I see much happiness. Relish every day. Be quick to listen but slow to speak. You are a wonderful husband and will make a great father. Learn from my mistakes but don’t be afraid to make your own.

“Anik: Darn it boy, you need to ask Nao to marry you. You are a love sick moron and you aren’t kidding anyone. If I can do one thing with this letter, it’ll be to kick your butt. You love her and she loves you. Don’t complicate this shavit.

“Aku: You are annoying and the bane of everyone’s existence: don’t stop doing so. You bright so much light with your jokes and personality. Jedi see many dark days and our ranks need more smiles. Don’t let anyone change you. Be proud of yourself.

“And Lukia: I first have to thank you. You have done so much for me these past few years. You have kept me sane and comfortable. I would not have lasted so long without you. Secondly, never doubt your skills. You are destined for great things and I am proud of you.

“You all know I love you all. Take time to go through my things, keep what you want, burn my wardrobe in Mara’s memory (she never did approve of all that black), laugh and cry, but please, do more laughing. Put the last remnants of me to rest next to Mara.”

Dad folded the letter and opened the box. Inside was Mara Jade Skywalker’s lightsaber. Out of folds of his robes, Dad produced Grandpa’s lightsaber. He placed it in the box and closed the lid.

Kahara likes this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Sweet warm letter. Very Luke. [face_love]

11. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Briiiiiiii, we have talked about this. Dead Lukie makes ginchy cryyyyyy. :_| But how beautifully done. I'm so glad that he had a full life, ups and downs, happiness and joys mixed in with all the crud. Lukia was wonderful to him. And I love Force Ghost Mara, being her usual, concise, self. [face_laugh]

12. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Sad, but touching! Nice update. =((

13. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Luke's final message is beautiful, and I loved how he came up with something for each of them. Anik's and Aku's especially were both funny and touching. The way that you combine loving humor with painful events is always tear-jerking and wonderful. AKA why this story is otherwise known as "I've got something in my eye" in my mental files.

14. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    So touching! That last scene, with Luke's light saber going into the box to lay besides Mara's, like they are at rest together... So sad but so right.

Briannakin , Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh, sorry. I forgot :p (Just preparing you for episode 7 [face_devil]). And yeah, Mara had to be there at the end. I'm considering another attempt at a Beru diary next year, so maybe you will have lots of baby Luke to look forward too!

Thanks. I couldn't think of any better way to lay Luke to rest.

AN: Last entry of this diary! I hope you guys enjoyed it!

Entry 30

Wozahs. I can’t believe I found this diary after all these years. I’ve had such a fun few hours going down memory lane.

I guess I’d better update this encase someone finds this and wonders what the krill happened to Lukia Skywalker (and they don’t have the holonet in the future). It has been 25 years since my last entry. I am 45 years old now and the Jedi Master Healer. I took over for Tekli after she retired 10 years ago. If you can believe it, I sit on the Jedi council with my father, Jace and Anik.

My father is doing well. He never remarried but still remains as the Grand Master, though we all know his health has begun to fail him. I fear he is starting to show the early signs of neuro-degeneration.

We lost Aku almost 5 years ago. It was early-onset Sestastion, brought on by a toxin. I cared for his every need until he pasted on. He never married, nor had children, that was Jace’s and Anik’s jobs.

Jace and Henia had 5 kids, yes 5, before Henia died tragically on a mission two years ago. I delivered every one of those kids: Mara-Jade, Nokli, Luke, Keelan, and Ben-Ji. The eldest is 22 and the youngest is 14. Luke is 18 and is my apprentice. He’s a great kid, funny and sassy, but with a big heart. He will be a fine Jedi Healer one day.

Anik married as well. His wife, Nao, isn’t a Jedi… that’s probably why she’s still alive. Their 2 kids are Jedi though. Kol is 18, and Nat is 15.

As for myself, I never married. All my non-Jedi friends did, but it was never in the sabacc cards for me. I dated a couple guys, both Jedi and civilian. Emrys - a Jedi my age, I’m sure I mentioned her in this journal - and I dated for several years. We even considered marriage, I was even looking at wedding dresses. It was a wonderful relationship, but it was cut short by her death. It affected me more that I will admit. I swore to never love another in that way again. So I married my work, so to speak, and I spoil my nieces and nephews like they are my own.

Am I happy with my life? I’d say so. I am successful and I’ve helped so many. I’m free to do what I want, when I want to, and how I want to. That is something few beings can claim.

But some days I wonder what my life would have been like if I hadn’t accepted my grandfather’s offer. What if I had gone into the Imperial Navy? Would I be married? Would I have children? Would I still be happy? I guess one thing I do know from being raised a civilian and becoming a Jedi later in life is that the grass is always greener on the other side.

But hey, I’m a kriffing bad-pants Jedi Master. Life is pretty awesome.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    Kahara and Random Comments like this.
  16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Cool!!!!! I love "catching up" to now. =D= I love Lukis's thoughts on what-ifs and her final verdict. :) She's compassionate and has helped a lot and is close to her large, extended family. That is indeed something to rejoice in, while still admitting the losses hurt! [face_thinking] @};-

Kahara likes this.
  17. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    That was the perfect ending to this diary, Bri! Very well done!!

Kahara likes this.
  18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    A perfect ending to a diary. Great to see Lukia happy and loved the touching entries about Luke passing away

Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  19. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Fantastic epilogue. =D=

[face_laugh] Some things never change. Others do. I loved seeing how this character has grown and where she went after the diary. Not everything has been happy or easy for Lukia and her loved ones, but she's got a full life.

20. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    All those 'What ifs'. That is why Yoda said that the future is always in motion. It is because of all those 'What ifs'. Great job wrapping this story up and thanks.

Kahara likes this.