main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Journal of the Forgotten Child [Dear Diary Challenge - OC (Skywalkers)] Completed Dec 28th

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Briannakin , Jan 1, 2014.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    A/N: Thanks for reading!

Tag list: Jedi_Lover

Entry 22

I haven’t written an entry in this journal in a couple months because life has been pretty boring. My grandpa’s illness hasn’t progressed much, the drugs and the weekly neuro-regeneration therapy seem to be helping, along with my new found healing techniques. I’m actually enjoying my training sessions with Tekli. She says I have much talent and potential as a healer. I’ve never given the position much thought. I don’t exactly have the ‘caring, calm and pacifist’ personality for a healer. Then again, neither does Tekli.

The only signs that my grandpa is sick are the facts that he cannot hold small objects and he occasionally forgets words (but not people, thank the maker). His hands do not co-operate with any fine-motor skill he wants to do. I have taken to writing all his notes down for him during council meetings and I’ve had to put grips on his eating utensils. I’m going to have to start feeding him eventually, but it is going to kill him to admit it, so I want to give him as much independence as possible. The other day he cut himself pretty badly while shaving so I’ve taken over his grooming. I’m prepared to take over bathing him when the time comes, but I’m not going to put him (or myself) through that until he asks me.

However, last night another sign appeared. The sleep disturbances have come.

I got my grandpa ready for bed early since I was going out partying with some other Jedi Knights. I think it is good for him to have some evenings alone, to give him some sense of independence. It also gives me some time with people my own age.

Anyways, I brushed his teeth, shaved his face, and set his meds along with some water on the table. I left to get ready (put my swanky black dress on) and right before I met up with my new friends, I checked on him. He was doing fine, lounging on the couch, watching some old documentary. He said he would go to bed once the show was over and promised to comm me if he needed anything (my dad and all my brothers were off planet on missions).

I had an excellent time out with my Jedi friends. I was brought up outside the Jedi culture, not being trained at the academy and all as a kid, but the past few months of living in the temple has meant I’ve meant some great friends, and we all are in the same spot in life: focused on our lives as Jedi. There’s Jysmi and Keoli, both human females; Nanne who is a female togruta; Daz, who is a male barabel; and Emrys, who is a human male. I may be developing feelings for Emrys, but I have other things to worry about right now.

When I got home (I was slightly inebriated, okay, not so slightly) I quickly checked on my grandpa - he was fine, in bed and asleep - then somehow stripped, got into a nightgown, and crawled into my bed.

I woke only a couple hours later to my grandpa’s screams for help. Without really knowing what I was doing, I jumped out of bed, grabbed my lightsaber and ran to my grandpa’s bedchambers.

There, in the light of the speeder traffic passing by, I saw my grandpa thrashing in his bed, screaming “NO! NO!”. I didn’t even turn on the light. I ran over to him and gently shook him.

“Luke!” I yelled, knowing he wouldn’t respond to grandpa. “Luke Skywalker!”

He woke up in an instant and used the Force to hurl me. It was so sudden, I couldn’t protect myself as I slammed against the wall, hitting my head and blacking out.

I came to within moments. My grandpa was struggling to get out of bed. “Lukia! Oh gods, Lukia!” he fumbled as he turned on the lights.

“I’m fine Grandpa. Just stay in bed, I don’t want you hurting yourself,” I said. I reached back and found the back of my head wet and warm. I brought my fingers out of my hair. They were covered in blood.

“Oh gods. I’m calling medics.”

“No Grandpa.” I got up slowly to make sure I didn’t vomit. “Just get back into bed.” I helped him get back in bed before hurrying off to the ‘fresher. I promptly vomited. I then cleaned up my wound and use a Force technique to heal myself.

When I got out of the ‘fresher, my grandfather was sitting on the edge of the bed, canes in hands, an empty bag at his feet. “I want you to help me pack and take me down to the assisted-living care ward.”

The assisted-living care ward in the halls of healing is a wonderful facility. My Great Aunt Leia spent her last years in comfort there because she needed around the clock medical professionals looking after her needs. She didn’t want a family member burdened by her care. I however, want to care for my grandpa’s needs for as long as I can. He would go insane in that ward, he’s still a relatively functioning Jedi Master. So I said, “No.”

Okay, maybe I said no because I was really hungover, my head was killing me and I didn’t want to walk him down there.

He was taken aback by my reply. “I… I could have hurt you. I mean, I did hurt you. But I could have hurt you badly. What if I had grabbed my lightsaber?” He then had a full on menial breakdown. “OH GODS. What if I had grabbed my lightsaber?”

“Grandpa, look, you didn’t. If this happens again, I will make sure your lightsaber is out of your reach and that I’m prepared, that’s better than those interns at the assisted-living ward.” I began to rearrange his pillows. “Now, if you really want to go into assisted-living, we can look into it and discuss it in the morning with Dad.” I helped him lie back down and tucked him in. I flopped into the unoccupied half of the bed.

“Lukia? You’re hungover, aren’t you?”

I nodded against the pillow. “I think I may still be drunk. Probably. Yeah.”

He pulled down the blankets under me, then covered me up.

“Besides, if you were in a nursing home, what would I do? Who would take care of my drunk butt?”

He laughed. “Good point, sweetheart.”

Kahara and Random Comments like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, Bri, this is/was so amazingly poignant.Lukia and Luke both deserve a big [:D] !!!!! Lukia instinctively knows what note/tone to go for: the snarky one, just like Mara would. [face_love]
    Thanks ever for sharing. =D= =D=

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Lukia is so sweet helping her grandfather. ^:)^ for her

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks for reading every one! Tag list:Jedi_Lover

Entry 23

When I woke the morning after my grandpa’s ‘sleep disturbance’, I found him balancing (with the Force) a tray of food with one hand and hobbling into the room with a cane in the other hand.

“You’re supposed to be walking with two canes now, remember?” I said, sitting up.

“I know, I know,” he said, handing the tray to me. There was enough food on there for one person, but two cups of tea. “But I’d thought I’d do something for you.”

He looked exhausted as he climbed back into bed.

“You used the Force to prepare this all, didn’t you?”

He nodded, shamefully. “I’ve been using the Force to do a lot of stuff lately.”

I let out an exasperated sigh. “Why? You know that’s why you have me around.”

“I know, but I’ve been in denial but I can’t keep it up anymore, I’m tired.”

“So you’re going to stop and let me help you, because I’m not putting you in assisted-living.”

“Okay, okay,” he said. “I just want you to be prepared for your job to get much harder.”

“Good, because I was feeling like I was a slacker.”

I ate my breakfast and helped him drink his tea.

“Why don’t you rest for a bit? Stop using the Force and just relax.” I picked up the tray of dishes. “I’m going to go get ready for the day. Do you want anything?”

“I think you had better get the hoverchair I know Tekli has stored away for me.”

“Are you feeling okay?”

“Yes, just a little tired.”

“Alright. I’m going to get the walker out of the closet and put it by the bed.”

I did everything I said I was going to do and returned to my grandpa a half hour later.

When I returned, I found him asleep in his bed. He looked… different. His hands were scrunched and he looked exhausted.

I let him sleep as I did a couple of my chores and put a load of his clothes in the wash. I was cleaning the floors when I heard him stirring.

“Finally up, are we?” I asked as I walked into the room. He was struggling to sit up. I moved to help him.

“I think I might be sick, Mara.”

I froze in my tracks. Not only did he forget me, he forgot he was ill. How far gone was the brain degeneration?

My face must have betrayed my thoughts. “Mara, what’s wrong?”

“I’m not Mara,” I said, gently sitting next to him. “I am Lukia, your granddaughter. You have neurodegradation.”

I was going to explain further, but something seemed to ‘click’. He looked to the nightstand to where Mara’s labeled holo was. He seemed shocked. He then looked to the dresser to where the other holos were. “I am so sorry Lukia,” he said finally.

“It’s okay,” I assured him.

“I’ve just never been so tired. I’ve never let myself completely go.”

“It’s okay, Grandpa. You are allowed to let yourself go.”

“I don’t want to. I’ve come to accept that I’m going to have to let my body go, but not my mind, not my memory. I do not want to forget you or anyone else.”

“I understand. Just take it easy on yourself.”

“I will,” he promised. “Now, can you help me get ready for the day? We have a council meeting.”

I nodded. I cleaned him up with a warm washcloth to freshen him up. I dressed him. I could feel the embarrassment roll off of him. I then helped him into the hoverchair. “How are you feeling?”

“Fine,” he replied.

He controlled the chair by himself and led me to the bathroom where I brushed his hair and teeth. “You’re going to need a shave tonight,” I remarked absently.

“Will you be able to bath me tonight?” he asked. I was glad that he was being open.

“I was going to try, but Aku is on-planet. If you want, I can ask him to come and help us if we need it.”

He nodded.

“Okay. I’ll send him a message.”

We spent the rest of the morning taking it easy (watching the news - I fell asleep). I helped him with eat lunch, then we were on our way to the council meeting.

When we entered, I felt all eyes on my grandpa. I wanted to snap at the other masters, but a look from my grandpa kept me in check.

“Dad?” I heard my father say. He was off-planet, but attending via holo-connection. “Are you feeling alright? Do I need to come home?”

“I’m feeling, fine, just a bit tired today,” my grandfather insisted. “There’s no need to come home.”

I moved his chair so he could park in his spot, then I got my stool, and sat at his side.

I took notes for him as the meeting started, then dragged on. I highly doubted that he was going to look at them, but it is part of my job, so I do it.

I looked over at him half way through the meeting and he was sound asleep. I could have clobbered him. If I had to sit through this boring shavit than he had to too.

I looked over to my father who simply shrugged.

When the meeting was over, I had to nudge my grandpa awake. I smiled as he came-to. “Hey there, old man.”

After he took note of his surroundings, he let out a soft sigh. “How long was I out?”

“Not long, you didn’t miss much. Come on, let’s walk the gardens before your neuro-regeneration appointment.”

After our walk, I set him up in the healer’s ward. I then got a text.

Come to Master Censtars’ office. Do not inform or bring your grandfather.

I rolled my eyes. There was SO much drama when dealing with the masters.

I put my hand on his arm. “I gotta go deal with some idiots. Are you okay alone for a few minutes?”

He smiled. “Yes, go ahead.”

I hurried too the master’s chamber where all the other masters were waiting for me in some form or another.

“I’m assuming this is about my grandfather?”

Master Censtars nodded. “We are merely worried what toll the council meetings are taking on his health. Is he getting too ill to be on the council? You are with him all day every day.”

I sighed. As much as the majority of the masters annoyed me, I had to be honest. “I don’t know. Today has been a particularly bad day for him. He had a sleep disturbance - a night terror actually - last night and is understandably tired today. His condition has deteriorated, and perhaps he should stop attending, but don’t make him based off of one day. I do know that the meetings are probably the only thing keeping him sane. And honestly, who of you haven’t fallen asleep in a meeting after a bad night?”

The masters all looked down, guilty.

“Now,” I said, “May I get back to my mission?”

“Yes,” my dad’s holo-projection said, “Go.”

I made my way back to my grandpa. He smiled when he saw me. “Did you deal with the idiots?”

I laughed. “Yes, I did.” I then read to him for the rest of the session.

I made both him and Aku dinner (he came over for a visit, as well as to help me out), then we bathed our grandpa in the ripple-bath. We both helped him in, Aku washed his body while I washed his hair and gave him a shave. “Do you want to soak for awhile?” I asked him. He nodded. “Okay, call us when you want to get out.” I turned on the ripple jets for him.

“He seems to be handling this all well,” Aku said when we flopped down on the couch. “I know I’d be freaking out if I had you cooking all my meals and giving me my ripple baths.”

I punched him. “Just you wait. One day I’ll have to take care of your sorry butt.”

“Nope. When I’m Pa’s age I plan to have some hot little Twi-Lek nurse taking care of me. Anyways, are you okay with doing all this? I mean, you went to school for advanced navigation. You were going to join the Imperial Navy and boldly go where no one has gone before. You then agreed to be a Jedi to kick some bad-guy butt. But now you are a care-taker. You never wanted any sort of medical job.”

I shrugged. “If you told me when I graduated from the academy that I would be spending my days in council meetings and doing Pa’s laundry, I would have laughed at you. But now, I don’t know. He needs me. I want to do it for him.”

“Lukia! I’m ready to get out now,” Grandpa called from the refresher.

“Besides,” I said, “You don’t say no to Pa.”

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @};- @};- x12x12. Very, very touching. Lukia's attitude is a breathtakingly lovable and mature one. :D Dished out with healthy doses of Skywalker snark... :D

6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Touching update. Lukia is a perfect helper

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Entry 24

My father got back from his mission today and I swear he came right to Grandpa’s chambers as soon as he got home and at the wrong time.

My grandpa still likes to try to feed himself on good days, so I let him as long as he gets enough to eat (though he does end up wearing more of his meal - his tremors are getting so bad - so I usually put a bib on him and a towel on his lap). Today was one of those days, he fed himself lunch and I was just about ready to clean him up when Dad showed up.

“Hey guys, oh.” Dad had walked in to see Grandpa in a bib, wearing his lunch.

I felt the humiliation roll off my grandpa. He turned and looked away. “Welcome home, Ben.” He is used to me seeing him in such a state, but not Dad. He wanted as few people as possibly to know that he was struggling with simple tasks.

I took charge of the situation. I quickly wet down a rag and cleaned him off, taking off the bib and towel. “Damned idiots interrupting our lunch.”

I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing. Since today his body seemed to be cooperating, he was using his walker. I handed it to him and left him on his own to head for the living room. I know if he needed help he would ask for it. Unfortunately, Dad rushed to help him.

“Ben, I am fine,” my grandpa barked. He was not pleased with his son for some reason. He walked over to his chair and sat down. I somehow knew this was a symptom of his condition. His mood often changes suddenly if he’s tired, but usually its from happy to sullen, not anger.

“Grandpa, be nice,” I reminded him.

“I’m not going to let someone who wants to retire me prove his point by treating me like an invalid.”

“Grandpa,” I said softly, kneeling at his feet. “I think you might be losing control. Do you want to go lie down for a bit and rest so you can focus better?” I put a hint of a Force suggestion in my voice.

He seemed confused for a moment, then said, “Yes, that might be a good idea.”

He let me help him into the bedchambers and onto the bed.

When I came back out, my dad was doing the dishes. “Ah, is that normal for him?”

I shook my head. “No. He is tired - he had more night terrors last night. I think you may have knocked him off centre when you showed up unexpectedly. He tries so hard to keep his mind ‘in-check’ if you will, that if he loses his focus he has a hard time gaining it back without a rest. When he wakes up he will be extremely apologetic.”

Dad sighed. “That’s why we are considering retiring him from all his duties. I know it’ll piss him off, but is it really good for his health? The other masters said the decision is up to Tekli and I.”

“I don’t want to placate him because he’s my grandfather, and I don’t want you guys to pacify him and let him be on the council because he’s Luke Skywalker, but it’s once a week, it gives him a reason to keep his mind sharp and he can still contribute. When it comes to the day when he can’t contribute, then we can talk.”

He nodded. “Thank you so much for keeping your grandfather’s well-being at heart.”

“So how is he doing in general? I’ve been away for so long, I’m going to try to be around for awhile.”

“He’s doing well most days. The hardest part is keeping him just busy enough to keep him sane and out of trouble, but not too busy as to tire him too much.”

Dad nodded. “What about you? You’re still alright with taking care of him?”

“It’s a 24 standard hour day some days, but he appreciates all that I do for him and all that I let him do for himself.”

We talked and cleaned the kitchen until I heard, “Lukia?”

With a smile I dried my hands and walked into the bedchambers. Grandpa was trying to sit up on his own. I helped him and got the walker.

“Your father is still here, right? I have to apologize to him.”

“Yes, he is, and yes, you do. He’s only worried about your health.” I helped him out to the living room and sit in his chair.

“Ben, I’m sorry for my earlier outburst,” he said simply. “I know you are just worried about me.”

“It’s fine dad. I am worried about your health, but I know you are old enough to know your limit and as long as you can contribute to meetings and tell Lukia if you think the meetings are too much for you, I have no problems with you continuing to come to meetings.”

“Thank you Ben, but perhaps I should stop. Few Masters get to my age, but I don’t want future Jedi Councils to be composed of senile old men. I want to set a precedent. One thing I learned from old Obi-wan was to know when to bow out and to go gracefully of your own decision. I will make the announcement at the next meeting.”

I couldn’t help but smile. I’m glad to know he will be retiring of his own decision, and that I won’t have to tell him he needs to stop.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    A warm and compassionate update full of candor and dignity. :) [:D] !!!!!

9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Luke is making the right decision

10. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Entry 21

Loved this chapter. Luke’s holo collection made me tear up a bit, especially with the additions of Leia and Mara to the deceased that he wants to remember.

And even in this, they are finding reasons to laugh. Which is good – they’re doing what they can about what they can affect, so why not enjoy their friendship and annoy their family? :p

11. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    This is so hard to read. Aging is hell. I'm glad Luke was able to make the decision to retire on his own.

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    AN: bahhh! Totally forgot to update this!

Entry 25

My goodness. It’s been like months since I’ve updated this diary. I’ve been pretty busy taking care of my grandpa. My family life has been pretty hectic as well. My brother Jace FINALLY proposed to and married his girlfriend Henia. It was a very small wedding. I was persuaded (and bribed) into being a bridesmaid. It was actually kinda fun this time. My 2 other bridesmaids were also Jedi (Henia is a Jedi too). So we wore long, black dresses that looked similar to Jedi robes. My grandpa was smiling the entire time.

Grandpa’s health has been alright, but he is slowly going down hill. This morning was particularly bad.

It started first thing in the morning. When I entered his bed chambers, he was sitting on the edge of the bed, in his night shirt, looking around. He was clearly confused.

“Good morning. Are you doing okay?” I avoided calling him Grandpa. I wanted to see just how out of it he was.

He pursed his lips. “Where… where am I?”

“You’re on Coruscant, in the Jedi Temple.”

“Oh.” He was silent for awhile. “Am I sick?”

“Yes,” I said. “Do you mind if I dress you?”

“Are you my care-taker?”

That REALLY struck a blow to my gut. I’m used to him thinking I’m his dead wife - I look like her, it makes sense, but for him to completely forget me. I was not expecting that this morning. “Yes,” I finally answered.

“What is your name?”

“Lukia,” I replied simply.

He let out a small laugh. “I’m Luke.”

“I know.”

“This isn’t Tatooine.”

“No,” I sighed. I was not trained for this. I looked at the chromo beside his bed. He had a healer’s appointment in a few minutes.

“May I wear black? I can never wear black on Tatooine.”

“Of course,” I said with a smile as I picked his standard black robes. I got him dressed and ready for the day. “Do you want to use the hoverchair today?”

“Should I?”

“Yes, I think it would be best.”

I got him in the chair, fed him breakfast and gave him his medications. He questioned me, but never fought.

“You have a healer’s appointment now. I’m going to push you down to the healing ward.”

“Okay,” he said.

He looked around with wonder as I directed him down to the healer’s ward. On the way down, we saw my father. He approached us and I began shaking my head.

“Hey,” he approached with a smile. He then frowned when he made eye-contact with me. “Is everything alright?”

“My patient is just having a bit of a difficult day. We are on our way to the healer’s ward for a round of neuro-regeneration appointment,” I said.

“Ah,” my dad said simply. “I gotta go talk to Master Haus, but I’ll come find you.”

I took my grandfather to his usual healing room and stayed with him as he was being hooked up to the machine. He seemed nervous as Tekli placed the cap on his head, but I held his hand and talked to him. He fell asleep soon afterwards and I instructed one of the apprentices to get me if he woke. I then left the room, sat in the nearest chair and cried.

I felt a comforting hand rub my back. I looked up to see my dad. “Bad day?”

I nodded, “And it isn’t even lunch time.”

“He doesn’t remember who you are.”

“No. Kriff, I don’t think he even remembers who he is.”

“Do you need a break? I can get the healers to take over his care.”

“No.” I shook my head. “Jedi don’t get to quit missions because they are too hard.”

He smiled, sadly. “You have grown into such a fine Jedi. I’m really proud of you. I know your grandpa is too.”

“Do you ever regret that you had me?” The question came out of the blue, yet it has burned so hot in me for so long.

“No,” the answer came without any thought. “Yes, I regret how I reacted after the boys’ mother died, but I NEVER regretted that you came out of that mess. Why would you ask such a thing?”

I shrugged. “It always seemed to me that, before I became a Jedi, you were ashamed of me.”

“Before you became a Jedi, you had a damn lot of growing up to do. You thought about yourself and only yourself. You didn’t just do what you wanted, you did everything you could to defy the Jedi council, and me.”

I sighed. He was right. “I’m sorry.”

“No need to apologize. The council was ashamed of you. You were a Skywalker of scandal - because of my actions - but you took that and ran with it. But you have grown up so much. I’m not even sure if I could deal with your grandpa on a daily basis the way he is now. But you are so wonderful with him. I see a bright future for you.”

“Thank you,” I said with a nod. “What is the future for me? You know, after this mission ends.”

He shrugged. “What do you want?”

“I was thinking about staying in the healing arts. Tekli says I have a talent for them and a future as a Healer. She wants me to learn under her.”

My dad smiled. “That would make you my favourite child.”

I laughed. “The competition isn’t that stiff.”

“No, but don’t tell your brothers.”

An apprentice then approached me. “Master Skywalker is awake and asking for the pretty Jedi Knight with the red hair.”

“Can you handle him?” my dad asked me.

“He’s nothing but a gentleman, unless he knows who I am, then he’s a pain in the butt,” I said as I stood up. I followed the apprentice. I entered the room to see my grandpa slumped over in the chair. Yet his blue eyes were clear and sharp.

“Hey there, Lukia.” His speech was slurred.

“Hello, Luke,” I said as I powered up his hoverchair.

“You’d better be calling me Grandpa,” he said with a sly smile. “I’ve decided to give up everything else to keep my memory, so your job just got harder.”

I took me a moment to understand him, but I smiled. “I wouldn’t have it any other way, old man.”

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :eek: at the beginning but sweetness later. Liked particularly the father/daughter talk. @};- Woot, that neuroregeneration seems to help. :)

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Things are getting better for Luke it seems. Thrilling update. And becoming a healer[face_dancing]

15. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am catching up. I am so behind on my reading. Nice updates. It is a little hard for me to read since my mother died of Alzheimer's. That disease sucks. I am glad Luke is getting a little better.

16. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    This is a very good story! I worked as a care worker for a number of years, and I like how you've written Luke's condition with sensitivity. Elements of this story reminded me of seeing my grandmother during her last days, so it resonates quite strongly.

Please let me know when you update this.

EG

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Tag list: Jedi_Lover

AN: Thanks for reading everyone. This story has gotten a bit hard for me to re-read to proofread as my Great-Grandma who had dementia recently died, so please excuse any mistakes.

Entry 26

Grandpa had a very good day today, though, I fear it might have been the infamous ‘last good day’ I read about in all my care books. They say terminal patients, no matter what the disease, have one last good day, one day where they seem to have the strength that they had been lacking for weeks, before it all goes away.

Over the past few weeks I’ve been caring for my grandpa’s every need. When I’m not doing something he needs physically, I read to him. In return he has kept his mind clear. We’ve had some excellent conversations.

This morning when I walked into his room, he was awake in bed and was clutching a small box. “Good… morning… Lukia… Happy…. 21st Life… day!” I’ve gotten used to his speech patterns, but he likes to speak slowly so that he’s understood.

“Thanks, Grandpa. Can I open it?”

He nodded with a smile.

I unwrapped it (Dad or one of my brothers obviously helped him) and opened the fabric case. It was a black chord bracelet with several bead charms on it. Pretty, yet very practical.

“It was… your grandma’s,” he explained.

“It’s beautiful.” I smiled as I put it on. I then gave him a huge hug. “Thank you.”

“What would you like to do today?” I asked him.

He handed me a brochure for a completely hover-chair accessible nature walk through the Coruscanti botanical gardens. “I want… to take… you somewhere nice.”

“I’d love that. Thank you, Grandpa.”

I got him ready for the day, fed him breakfast. Then I loaded him into the speeder and we were off. When we got to the gardens, the place was empty of all beings. I have a funny suspicion he cleared it for me.

We walked on the path for hours before we came to a small picnic table, which was set for 3. My father was sitting there, smiling.

“We know your brothers and friends are taking you out to some wild pub for dinner, so we decided we wanted a nice lunch with the birthday lady,” my dad explained with a smile.

“Thank you guys,” I said as I sat down. We ate sandwiches, soup, and cookies and each had a drink of wine. My grandfather fell asleep shortly afterwards.

My dad gave me an envelope full of credits. “Henia and your girl friends, Jysmi, Keoli, and Nanne are all waiting outside in a speeder. I want you to go, buy a cute dress, get your hair and make up done, then have a lovely evening with your friends and brothers.”

“What about Grandpa?”

“I got him. I’ve been wanting to spend an evening with him for awhile now.”

“Okay, comm me if you need anything.”

My dad rolled his eyes. “Just go, have some fun for once in your life.”

So I went. I had an awesome time with the girls. We went to a spa and got a little pampering done. Then we went to Coruscant’s largest mall and I got a glorious little dark blue dress. We then went back to the temple and got each-other ready. Emrys, Daz, and my brothers picked us up. We had a fancy dinner, then went for drinks at a bar.

I ensured we got back to the temple at a reasonable hour. I was feeling good, but not drunk. I checked on my grandpa and dad first.

I entered to see them lounging on the couch, watching an old movie. I couldn’t help but smile. Still, after all these years, they were still father and son, and best friends.

“Everything okay?” I asked.

They both smiled when they saw me.

“So… beautiful,” my grandfather murmured.

“We are fine,” my dad said. “Go have a nice ripple bath.”

So I did. I had such a wonderful day and I am so happy I got to spend some of my day with my grandfather. He was having such a good day, but I’m also happy to know he and my dad got to spend an excellent evening together.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [:D] [:D] for the author and other readers who have lost loved ones to such a horrific illness. @};- Beautiful and heart-touching update. Thanks for sharing, and yes, ff reading and writing is totally therapeutic. (And habit forming) [face_laugh]

Kahara likes this.
  19. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I'm glad that Lukia got to go out and have fun, and that Luke had a good day with Ben. But 'last good day' sounds pretty ominous... :_|

Kahara likes this.
  20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    AN: Thanks for reading everyone. This fic is about to get very depressing.

Tag list Jedi_Lover

Entry 27

I fear my grandfather’s health might have taken a turn for the worst.

I’ll start from the beginning because I really need to process this. Plus I’ve got nothing better to do right now.

Since my birthday, my grandfather’s health has gradually gone down hill. He can’t do anything for himself. He sleeps a lot. I think just remembering who he is zaps all his energy. He tries to thank me for what I do and make my day somewhat interesting, but he can’t.

This morning I got him up, washed him, dressed him and gave him his breakfast. He was pretty quiet until I asked him if there was anything he wanted to do today.

He took a deep breath. “Walk… in the gardens. Mara’s memorial….”

He didn’t have to complete the thought. I knew it was the 37th anniversary of my grandmother’s death. It was so long ago, yet I still saw the pain.

I nodded. “I bought a bouquet of flowers yesterday. I was going to take them there anyways.”

I got a blanket to put over his legs to keep him warm, then I got the lovely red flowers and put them in his arms.

We made our way, slowly, to the room of One Thousand Fountains. We passed many Jedi, all of which bowed to my grandpa.

When we got to the room of One Thousand Fountains, we made our way to Mara’s memorial - a green jade glass orb on top of a column. I could sense my grandfather’s mood turn. I put the flowers at the base of the column. I stood up and hugged my grandfather.

“I’ll let you have a moment alone. Call if you need me.”

“Thank… you.”

I walked away, giving him plenty of room. I made my way down the path, looking at some of the flowers. After a few minutes, I made my way back to my Grandpa. Then, I realized he was slumped in his hoverchair. Something was really wrong. I hurried to him. His breathing was shallow and laboured. But his eyes… his eyes were blank.

I commed the healers and they were there within moments.

My grandpa is now in a private room in the Halls of Healing. They put a mask around his mouth to help him breath. I refused to let the healers put him on a ventilator. As much as it pains me, I know he wants this to happen naturally. Besides, I won’t put my dad though the pain of deciding when it is time to let him go.

Dad came pretty much right away, as did Aku, Anik, Jace and Henia. They brought some stuff from Grandpa’s chambers - some blankets, pyjamas, and holos.

The boys left for dinner, and my dad encouraged me to do the same, but I said no. I told Grandpa I was not going to leave, so I’m not.

He finally woke late in the evening. I sat up and smiled. His eyes took in the room, finally focusing on me. “Hey there,” I said softly.

He smiled.

“Do you need anything?”

He slowly raised a hand, pointing to a sink on the other side of the room.

“Water?” my dad asked. “Do you want some water?”

Grandpa nodded.

Dad got up and got a cup of water, then handed it to me. I took the mask off and helped him drink. He pushed the cup away when he was done and laid back into the pillows.

“Is there anything else you want?” Dad asked.

Grandpa murmured something not even I could understand.

“I didn’t get that,” I said gently. “Do you want to try to type it?”

He shook his head no and closed his eyes. He reached for my hand and held it. I got the message: he just wanted us to sit with him. So we did.

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow, intense and heart-rending but I agree - natural is best. @};- @};- On a side note, Luke's been a long time without Mara. [face_thinking] You can tell, even still, now, that their souls/hearts are bound together. [face_love]

22. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    This story hits me in a VERY personal place. I WAS Lukia with my mama who passed three years ago. You know death is not a terrible thing. It is the act of dying that is so horrible. Very fine job writing this and I must say that you must have also walked this path in order to get all the little hidden feelings that Lukia has. Thank you and super job.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm sorry to hear about your mama, and you are right, I have walked a similar path, however, it was with my father and I was only 10 when I help him out in his last months. Your welcome and thank you.

JEDIFLYSWATTER likes this.
  24. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That is so sad. I wasn't in the room when my parents passed away. I don't think I could have handled it. Nice update!

JEDIFLYSWATTER likes this.
  25. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    I really what to send you a pm but I am still stumbling though this site. Frankly, I liked the old site better. It was uncomplicated for us technically challenged old folks with no kids around. Please tell me what button do you push to pm someone. Thought I figured it out but I do not think I was right. I need to go to bed now my eyes are crossing. Thank you for your kind words but hell that is what you do for your mama and your daddy. Goodnight and sweet dreams!