main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Journal of the Forgotten Child [Dear Diary Challenge - OC (Skywalkers)] Completed Dec 28th

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Briannakin , Jan 1, 2014.

1. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    After much thinking, I guess it means darkness is within me and my past. I will always have to accept this. I will always be in constant struggle with who I am and who the Dark Side wants me to be. The dark side of me exists and is very real. I am that night-sister, and she is me. But she is within me and must never get out.

To read that she accepted the core of darkness within her is good news. I wonder how she will deal with it in future, how her actions will be. [face_thinking]

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    AN: Hey guys. Thanks for reading! My life has been rather crazy, but I've managed to write another few entries. I have no idea where I am going with this. Hopefully somewhere.

Tag list
    Jedi_Lover

Entry 9

I’m going to kill my grandpa.

Okay, maybe I should start from the beginning. Last night, I woke up in the middle of the night - it was actually just after I fell asleep. I was about to just roll over and go back to sleep, but something didn’t seem right. I got out of my bunk and threw on my boots. I walked past my grandpa’s cabin to find that the doors were open and that he wasn’t in bed. I searched the ship for him and groaned when I found his presence outside. Making sure I had my lightsaber and a glowstick, I went onto the Dagobah night. The moons and stars lit the sky.

I soon found my grandpa. He was in his pyjamas, wading in the swamp. The ‘water’ was at his chest. I panicked. “Grandpa!” I started running into the smelly waters, but he did not look in my direction. R2 tweetled from the shore. Frustrated, I shouted, “Luke Skywalker!”

That got his attention. He turned in my direction. “Mara?” he asked in awe.

I’m not sure if he was hallucinating, or still asleep, but by that time, I had gotten to him. “No,” I said, calmly, “It’s Lukia.” I took a hold on his hand and started leading him back to shore.

He seemed to snap from his stupor. “Oh,” he said. He then looked around. “How did I get here?”

“I think you were sleep-walking,” I said, shivering from the cold as we got out of the water.

“Oh,” he said.

I helped him back into the ship and made sure he had a sonicshower before getting him back into bed. I had my own shower, then was in bed again. Yet I could’t sleep.

I got up this morning and I went to check on my grandfather. He was not doing too well. I heard him coughing so I hurried to his cabin. I found him in bed, looking deathly pale. He was trying to get out of bed.

“Oh, no you don’t,” I said.

A coughing fit took over his reply.

I got him lying back in the bunk, propped up on pillows. He looked up at me. “I think I need some rest today.”

“You think?” I exclaimed. “I’m getting us off this armpit. Something is wrong with you, and I’m not just asking about the cough.” I turned to R2, who was in the corner. “Look after him.”

I went outside and quickly packed up the camp, then plotted a course to the nearest 1st world planet.

As my kraffing luck would have it, that planet was Naboo. I honestly didn’t care, I just went on with the lift off.

Once we were in hyperspace, I went to the medbay and found extra blankets, pillows, medication and electrolyte juice. I returned to my grandpa.

“Where are we going?” he asked as I opened the pill bottle and juice. He won’t admit this to anyone, but I’ve noticed his joints becoming swollen. I handed both to him.

“Naboo,” I grumbled as I spread out the blankets on the bunk.

“Just as long as it isn’t Tatooine.”

“It was almost Tatooine. It should be, because it’s closer, but it doesn’t have a class A medcenter.”

“It’ll be good for you to face Naboo.”

I glared at him. “No. Don’t you dare do that to me.” I was about to leave, when I stopped. “Wait, why do I need to face Naboo, but you won’t go back to Tatooine?”

He coughed and I rolled my eyes. “Because I’ve made my peace with Tatooine. But that doesn’t mean I still don’t dislike the heat or sand.”

“Fine, but if your condition gets worse between now and 2 jumps from now, we are stopping on Tatooine.”

My grandpa shrugged. “That’s okay with me.” He finished the juice, taking breaks to cough. “Now, if you don’t mind, I’m going to try to get some more rest.”

I let him, but I stayed awake so I could keep an ear out for him and do the jumps. During which time I read and caught up all my holonet dramas. I also messaged a couple friends. Part of me really misses some of them, but a ton of them hooked up while I was gone. Gag me.

Before we passed Tatooine, I went in to check on my Grandpa. I waked him as I opened the door.

“Lu?” he grunted, shifting on the bunk in the darkness.

“Sorry,” I said, walking and turning on the lamp. “We are just about at the Tatooine jump. I just wanted to get your temperature and force a ration bar in you.”

“You really don’t have to be my nurse,” he said as I stuck the thermometer to his forehead.

I rolled my eyes. “Someone has to make sure you don’t die.” The results from the thermometer loaded. It was only a few degrees above what it was earlier. As much as I didn’t want to go to Naboo, I know my grandpa hates Tatooine and their sub-par medical services. “Do you think you can hang on for a couple more hours?”

He nodded as another cough escaped him. Something told me he needed medical attention then and there, and I should have listened, but I nodded. “Alright. Try to eat the ration bar. I’m going to plot the last few jumps.”

I left him to his privacy, thinking he was old enough to call me if he needed me. I tried to get some rest, but sleep seems to elude me. Ugh. The proximity alarms are about to ring. Perhaps I’ll be able to get some sleep once my grandfather is in medical care.

AzureAngel2 and Random Comments like this.
  3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Luke is sleep walking and dreaming of Mara. How sad. Nice update.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent update showing Lukia's caring concern. Sleepwalking huh? Interesting. [face_thinking]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Yikes. That had to be unsettling, to see Luke wander off like that. At least Lukia knows where to go for treatment and can run the ship. Poor Luke, though. It's got to be difficult for someone as independent as he is to start getting well and truly old.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    A/N: Hey guys. Thanks for reading.Yes, Luke is getting old.

As some of you know, between the whole EU/Legacy announcement and Real Life kinda dumping stuff on me, I’ve lost my muse. Hopefully it will return and I can write more in this and on Miracle Child. I have not forgotten my stories. I’m hoping I can sit down and write more soon.

Tag list

Jedi_Lover

Entry 10

Seriously, there are days that I wonder how the chaos my grandfather has made it to the age of 95. Basically, I landed on Naboo, at Coruscant General Medcenter. I commed for a nurse and a hover chair, then I finally ventured into my grandpa’s room.

When I entered, I heard him wheezing softly.

“Grandpa, we’re on Naboo. Can I help you up? Nurses are coming to get you.” I turned on the light and gasped. He was covered in sweat, deathly pale, and his lips were a light blue tinge.

I was torn between wanting to carry him into the med-center then and there, and strangling him. “You were supposed to call me if you need me. Why didn’t I come check-up on you,” I signed as I sat him up. He was boiling.

“Not your fault. I just want to sleep,” he murmured.

I heard the nurses entering the ship. “In here!” I shouted. They came with a hoverchair.

I sat with him as the doctors checked him out. They quickly diagnosed him with pneumonia. He’s currently in a private room, hooked up to meds and oxygen. He forced me to leave as soon as he was settled in.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to stay?” I asked him.

“I’m sure. You look like you could use some rest.” He patted my arm like I was the one who needed someone to look after me.

“Okay, I’m going to ask the next nurse where the family chambers are,” I said. I then realized I had grabbed some stuff for him while he was in the imaging room. “I grabbed your data-reader and holocube.” I got them out of my bag and set them on the bedside table. He immediately reached for the holocube and switched it on. Images of his life and loved-ones started appearing.

There was a knock at the door and a nurse walked in. “Hello Master Skywalker,” she said. “Are you feeling comfortable?”

He nodded. “I am.”

“Do you need anything?”

He shook his head. “I was just about to go back to sleep. Do you mind pointing my granddaughter in the direction of the family chambers?”

The nurse looked a bit awkward. “I can, but the medcenter has rented the penthouse suite in the hotel across the airway for Miss Skywalker.”

“No,” I blurted. “That’s unnecessary.” I knew better than to accept something just because I was the granddaughter of Luke Skywalker.

“It was the least we could do for you,” the nurse addressed me. “A hero of Thebes deserves the treatment.” She said it with a genuine smile, but I was seething.

My grandfather reached over to brush my arm. “Go, you deserve a nice hot bath and big bed after all the training I put you through. I will reimburse the medcenter.”

“Okay,” I said, getting up. “But for the record, this was your idea.”

“Alright. Goodnight, Lukia. I can expect you to check up on me tomorrow. I’ll have a small mission for you.”

“Okay,” I said, giving him a hug. “Sleep, and get the nurses to comm me if you need me.”

I made my way down to the lobby and caught a cab to the hotel.

After I gave my name to the clerk at the hotel, I was suddenly given the hero treatment. I hated it, but I did get a new nightgown and all my smelly clothes laundered, which was nice. I may overcome the horrible feeling and get them to launder all my grandfather’s stuff.

I was shown to my suite and OHHHH man, I feel like a kriffing princess. The suite is larger than my father’s apartment… THE BED IS BIGGER THAN MY ROOM BACK HOME.

When I first got there, I was tempted just to curl up on the bed and die, but then I saw the bathroom. The ripple bath was a swimming pool. After months of living in a swamp, I had to. I had a nice long soap, I used all the mini soaps I was given. It was as if I were a Goddess. I shaved my legs in the first time in I don’t know HOW long.

I’m currently cuddled up in bed. I think I shall go to sleep and die.

AzureAngel2 and Random Comments like this.
  7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    She is a great and caring grandchild. A mission;) I hope she will like that

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Sounds nice!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent =D= She is caring and that ripple bath and huge comfy bed sounds splentabulous.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    Well, at least they got to a medcenter. Nice capture of Lukia's worry for her grandfather -- she's definitely a bit shaken by how he went into a fever without her noticing. Hopefully, Luke will be able to recover soon.

I liked the story of how she ended up at the hotel. She sounds very much like her grandmother, with not wanting to just be given the royal treatment because of whose relative she is. You can see she's very mistrustful of being handed things she feels she hasn't earned. It's nice to see that Lukia enjoys the room in spite of her first doubts. Running water or sonics must be heaven after Dagobah.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    AN: Thanks for reading everyone.

Tag list: Jedi_Lover

Entry 11

For the first time in MONTHS I woke up late. It was glorious. Room service came and brought me a big breakfast and a couple clothing options for the day. I sort of felt bad about people doing all this stuff for me. I’m no princess.

I ate.

Okay, I stuffed myself silly on hotcakes and dewbak back meat. It felt like I hadn’t had real food in years.

I washed up and decided on one of the outfits - a pair of black leggings, a stripped dress and a belt for my lightsaber. I thought it looked rather nice with my combat boots and scarf. I combed my hair and did it in a braid.

My next task was to comm my father. I knew I should have done this yesterday, but I was busy.

I typed in his code and his face appeared. He looked kinda like shavit. “Where the kriff are you and what the kriff is up with your grandfather.”

“Naboo,” I said quickly. “It’s all Grandpa’s fault. He got pneumonia and I had to rush him here.”

“Is he ok?”

“He’s in the medcenter. The doctors say he will be fine with a few days rest… but I’m worried about his mental stability.”

“Why?”

“Well, he got sick because he was sleepwalking. I found him in the swap. When I approached him, he thought I was Grandmother. He called me Mara.”

My father let out a sigh. “After he gets better, I want you guys to come home. I want the healers to do a full check on him.”

I nodded. “Alright. I’m going to go to the medcenter. He has some sort of mission for me. I’ll try to convince him to comm you.”

“Thanks. I love you, Lukia.”

“I love you too, Dad.”

I ended the connection and headed out.

I reached my grandpa, who was up, awake and eating. He was looking much better.

“Hey Pa,” I said as I entered. “How are you feeling?”

“Much better,” he said, then he coughed.

I rolled my eyes. “I was talking to Dad. He wants us back on Coruscant as soon as you are feeling better. AND he wants you to comm him if you are feeling up to it.”

It was his turn to roll his eyes. “Alright, alright. The doctors say I should be fit for travel in a day or two as long as I take it easy. Anyways, I have a mission for you.”

“What?” I asked. I knew it had to be something to do with the crash of the Brauronia.

“In Selionai Square, just a few block away from here, there is a fountain dedicated to all those who died when the Brauronia crashed. Go. Pay your respects.”

I knew this was a test of some sort, so I nodded. “I’ll come back later.”

“And when you do, bring me some real food for lunch. I hate medcenter food.”

I let out a small laugh. “I’ll see what I can do.”

I left his room, put my scarf over my head like a hood and headed for Selionai Square.

The square was buzzing with people, all too busy to recognize me. I stopped at a small shop and bought a dozen flowers. I made my way to the centre of the square where a large oval fountain was. I located a large wall with plaque on the side.

In memory of all those who lost their lives at the crash of the Brauronia

It then listed the 2478 beings who died. I read every name. I knew every name.

I was surprised when I reached the bottom. It read:

And in honour of Lukia Jade Beru Skywalker, the girl who saved Thebes.

I cringed, not only did they use my horrible middle names (kriffing gods I HATE THEM), but I wasn’t some super-hero that prevented some desolation. I simply downgraded it to a tragedy.

With a sigh, I turned to the gently rippling water and placed the flowers in. As they drifted away I caught my reflection. It was the first time I really looked at myself since going to Dagobah. I didn’t see the girl who crashed the Brauronia in the Faran Sea. Nor did I see the Academy graduate with piercings (I had taken them out), tattoos (they were covered with my clothing) or wildly coloured hair that I was a few months ago. I saw a respectable Jedi Apprentice.

Was this me? Was I really becoming some peace-keeping civil servant? Had I given up the rebel to be what would make my grandfather proud. Was I becoming the girl that saves cities because my last name says I had to?

Or was I just growing up?

With a sigh, I left.

Instead of going back to the medcenter, I decided to make a detour. I hopped on a service transport and rode it until I got to the governmental sector. I got off and headed up a road where I found the Royal Mausoleums. I walked among them, searching.

“Who are you looking for?”

I turned around to see a big, gruff groundskeeper with a big bushy beard. He looked to be about the same age as my father.

“Padmé Amidala.”

He nodded. “Follow me.” So I did. “You some historian?”

"No, just someone looking for answers to some questions.”

“Aren’t we all?” he replied. A few moments later he stopped. “Here we are. You may go in.”

“Thank you,” I said as I started up the steps.

“Hey!” he called just as I was about to enter. “Do I know you?”

I shrugged. “Just one of those faces.”

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Super chat with Ben and woot! I think Lukia is becoming all those things and growing up :cool: Lukia Jade has a nice ring to it. ;)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My son has one of those horrible archaic family middle names. He was filling out some forms the other day and I told him he spelled his middle name wrong. lol! He's been spelling it wrong for years I guess. Nice update.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    Her middle names aren't so bad! Though she probably could have done without one or the other. Interesting that Luke sent her to look at the monument. Definitely a closure thing, but he probably also wanted her to see that last inscription. Too bad she's more inclined to brush it off. It was interesting to see her thoughts on how she's already changed and the worries about whether she's just falling into expectations after all. It may be expected, but that doesn't make it meaningless. Hope she'll find a way to give herself some slack over that. If she makes accomplishing things into losing at being independent, that becomes kind of self-defeating.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  15. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    she is growing up and the visit to the mausoleum of Padmé Amidala should be interesting

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  16. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I love Lukia's thoughts on growing up. Well written! And I hope she gets poor Grandpa Luke something tasty to eat. I work in the hospital everyday. The food is always bad!!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks for reading everyone! JL, my sister was the one who got the horribly archaic family middle names. One is VERY french and she can never spell it :p

Entry 12

I have heard a lot about my grandmother, from my father and grandfather, but I though she would be the LAST person to help me with my minor identity crisis, in my great-grandmother’s mausoleum of all places.

I entered the mausoleum and looked around. Light through the stain glass windows casted the small chamber in colours. I ran my fingers down the coffin. It was strange to think someone would allow their body to remain in such an accessible state after that. I’m one for discorporealization, or if you can’t do that, cremation.

“Why am I here?” I mumbled to myself.

“Because your grandfather is insufferable when he’s sick.”

I looked up to see my grandmother. Mara Jade Skywalker. She was standing on the other side of the coffin. It was like looking at an older version of me. She had faint white streaks in her flowing red hair and age lines around her eyes. She was wearing white Jedi robes and a white skirt. Oh yes, and she was see-though.

“And your great-grandmother wanted some part of this, but the whole lack-of-the-Force thing meant that she can’t. So I led you here.”

I gave her a weird look.

“She gets sentimental about this kind of stuff.”

“Okay then…” I said, still weird out. “Why am I seeing my very dead grandmother?”

“Because you are being an idiot. You are a Skywalker…”

“Thank you Grand Master Obvious.”

She scowled. “It’s probably a damn good thing we were never alive at the same time.”

“Probably.”

She rolled her eyes. “Anyways. You are a Skywalker by name, but you are clearly pure Jade. Your last means it is your destiny to be a Jedi. You will finish your training under your grandfather and save many.”

I nodded. “So I really have no choice in the matter?”

“Nope. You were born for greatness. Do it and get over it. But that doesn’t mean you have to give up who you are. I avoided becoming a Jedi, and a Skywalker, for 10 years. Even after I married your grandfather and became a Jedi I ran away and rebelled from time to time.”

“Yeah, I heard about how you got arrested with Mirax Horn.”

My grandmother smirked. “Just because you are a Jedi and a Skywalker doesn’t mean you can’t have some fun, or tell the Jedi council to kriff off from sometimes - trust me, they deserve it, and they’ll expect it from you. Put back in your piercings, get more tattoos, get a cool hover bike. Be yourself, with a lighsaber.”

I though about it. “Alright. So, do I get to tell Grandpa ‘Grandma told me to get another tattoo’?”

“No, please don’t tell him. He -”

“He misses you more and more every day,” I finished for her. “Now that my Dad’s grown and me and all my brothers are older, he wants to be with you again.”

She nodded. “And he will be, but there is no need to remind him. He will only rush it. Now go. He’s going to wonder what you’ve gotten up to.”

“So, this is goodbye?”

“For now. You will see me again.” With a smile, she slowly faded. And I thought old people were weird. Dead people are even weirder.

I made my way back to the medcenter, but not before I stopped at a body-jewellery shop and refilled what my father refers to as “face-holes”, and got my grandfather a sandwich and a bag of vegi-crisps.

My grandfather was reading when I got back. He perked up when he saw me. He perked up even more when he saw the take-out bag.

“I like the new jewellery,” he said.

“You’re just trying to get this from me,” I said, holding up the bag. I gave it to him.

“Thank you,” he said, digging into his meal. “So, how was your mission? You were gone long enough.”

I sighed. “I’m doomed to be a Jedi. But that’s not a bad thing. I worked hard to get my degree in advanced navigation at the academy. But that was because I was forced to.”

“You weren’t forced to do anything, Lukia.”

I gave him a doubtful look. “I wanted to be a Jedi Youngling. The council thought it was a bad idea after Brauronia, and maybe it was. So I decided to settle for the second best thing. But as fate would have it, I’m becoming a Jedi. But that doesn’t mean I have to become the Jedi everyone wants me to be. Someone has to keep the council on their toes.”

My grandfather chuckled. “Good. That wasn’t the lesson I was going for, but it works.”

“What lesson were you going for?”

“Something about how people will always see you as a hero and you have to let them to give them hope that the galaxy isn’t all bad. People need hope after tragic events that can’t be explained with rational. They need to know that there are heroes to save them from the villains. Anyways. I think you learned a much better lesson.”

“I had a bit of help.” I grabbed a vegi-crisp. “So, did you comm Dad?”

“Yes, and because he was so damn pathetic and I’m such a sucker that I agreed to go home after the doctors release me.”

“So, the fun is over?”

“Yes.”

“Damn.”

Random Comments and AzureAngel2 like this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent conversations. Terrific lesson Lukia learned too. @};-

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  19. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    Perfect intro. [face_laugh] Knew who it was right away, even though there was a pretty small list of suspects.

... only if there is a limited supply of coolness in the galaxy. ;) Okay, so people would complain about the property damage, and damage to superweapons, and damage to egos. Whatever. The GFFA is not my backyard. :p

Best ghost advice ever. [face_love]

By the way, "face-holes" is now going to be my favorite word for those thingies.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I hadn't realized I missed so many updates, so I've been catching up for the last hour.

Lukia is a fun character to read and I love her snark.

21. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
    Wow, I love Lukia's voice! She's so vibrant and everything about her feels authentic and real. This is excellent! I look forward to reading more.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  22. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    “Why am I here?” I mumbled to myself.

“Because your grandfather is insufferable when he’s sick.”

I looked up to see my grandmother. Mara Jade Skywalker. She was standing on the other side of the coffin. It was like looking at an older version of me. She had faint white streaks in her flowing red hair and age lines around her eyes. She was wearing white Jedi robes and a white skirt. Oh yes, and she was see-though.

“And your great-grandmother wanted some part of this, but the whole lack-of-the-Force thing meant that she can’t. So I led you here.”

I gave her a weird look.

“She gets sentimental about this kind of stuff.”

“Okay then…” I said, still weird out. “Why am I seeing my very dead grandmother?”

“Because you are being an idiot. You are a Skywalker…”

“Thank you Grand Master Obvious.”

She scowled. “It’s probably a damn good thing we were never alive at the same time.”

I like the spicy conversations your characters have with one another. So glad that I caught up again. :D

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Nice update! It is nice to see that death hasn't mellowed out Mara. She's still her sarcastic self.

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    AN: Thanks everyone for reading. I really had to have Lukia meet Mara. There was just way too much sass not to. Also, I really wished I had remembered today was father’s day because I would have done a cute father/daughter (but that is what happens when you don’t got to worry about this bantha shavit of a ‘holiday’).

Entry 13

My grandfather was discharged two days after my conversation with my grandmother. The flight back to Coruscant was fairly quiet as I made my grandfather spend most of the time resting. We did decide that I am going to move into the Jedi Temple with him. He has his own suite - it’s basically a huge one bedroom apartment and there is an empty Knight’s chamber down the hall that I am moving into tomorrow. I lived in the academy dorms back when I was in school, so the Knight’s chambers will be a pretty sweet place in comparison.

My father was there to greet us when we landed. I gave him a big hug because as annoying as he is, I did miss him. He and my grandfather wanted to talk, and I had arranged to meet some friends of mine, so we went our separate ways.

I knew when I accepted my grandfather’s offer that I was going to lose touch with my regular, civilian life. I just didn’t know how fast it would be. But I guess months in a swamp will do that to a girl.

I agreed to meet my friends at my best friend’s parent’s place. EVERYONE still lives with their parents. This is Coruscant. Short of having 7 roommates in a 2 bedroom apartment, no one can afford their own place at my age. My best friend, Raena, a human female with fair colouring opened the door. We’ve been friends since secondary school.

“I have huge news!”

“Well hello to you too,” I said, entering and discarding my boots. I had gone for the full Jedi garb in greys and blues, because MAYBE I wanted to show off how awesome my new life path is.

“Jahon asked me to marry him!”

“WHAT?” I wasn’t excited. I was genuinely surprised. She is 20 and he’s like 25, but they have been going out for like a year. And here I am. I’ve never been out on a date, let alone in love.

“Yeah!” she exclaimed, holding out her hand with a small ring on her finger. “Please say you will be a bridesmaid. The wedding is in 3 months.”

“That’s a little fast, isn’t it?” I asked, sitting down on the couch.

“He proposed right after you left. I really wanted to tell you in person, and you were a bit MIA and hard to contact. I already have my dress and all the bridesmaid dresses, including yours. You don’t approve, do you?”

I can’t lie. I was a bit jealous of her in that moment. She gets her dream guy without ever having to go through a break up. She gets a dream wedding with both her mother and father and I have been here for none of it.

I sighed softly. Johan is a great guy, but it’s not like either of them have their lives figured out yet. This is going to end badly. I don’t lie, but I don’t tell the truth. “No, but I’ve never been in love, so who am I to judge? It’s not what I would do, but your not me.”

“I know it’s not going to be easy - we are going to have to live with my parents for awhile - but it’s what I want to do. I want to be with him for the rest of my life.”

At that moment, all jealousy crumbled away. “Okay. I will be a bridesmaid,” I said. I actually feel kinda sorry for Reana. She might get her dream guy and her dream wedding now, but in a year, she’ll be your average marred woman, living with her parents (HA! Coruscant may be expensive, but no one wants that). She might be happy, she might be miserable and divorced within 5 years.

Where will I be in a year? 5 years? I ran my fingertips down my lightsaber. I’ll be in the stars. That’s a guarantee. I might be happy, I might be miserable, but I’ll be free. I’ll be a kriffing Jedi. And hey, I might be kriffing another Jedi.

Some other friends showed up for dinner and started to ask about how I’ve been. A surprise face from my public secondary school year showed up: Emmin Kran. I had THE BIGGEST crush on Emmin for YEARS. But we are also great friends so it was fantastic to see him. He is single, but not looking (and honestly, neither am I). We spent most of the evening going on about how excited we are for new Zob Mulan movie.

The alcohol had just been brought out when my comm then went off and I excused myself to the refresher.

“Lukia, it’s Grandpa. I know you are having fun with your friends, but there has been a mass break-out at Central-Coruscant Correctional facility. Your dad is coordinating the search and detaining team. Your expertise with non-lethal lightsaber skills will be needed. I want you at your dad’s side.”

“Okay. On my way.” I rushed out and put on my boots.

“What is it?” Raena asked.

“People are in danger. Gotta go,” I said, dashing out.

As I ran though the Coruscanti night, adrenaline pumping through my veins, leaping from walkway to walkway, chasing after criminal masterminds, I realized my life will probably never include helping friends pick out wedding dresses, or having a few quiet drinks over dinner. But it will include chasing bad-guys and helping so many being. It will have substance, not superficiality.

My life is WAY MORE AWESOME AND IMPORTANT!

Random Comments likes this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Bravo on the mixed feelings and realistic ones thre too: envying her friend the seamless move into a romance without angst and 'normal' happy family times of marrying and socializing etc. But Lukia has a clear head and knows she's not ready or looking. LOL It's paradoxically when you're not that you find someone it seems. When you push it or are desperate, you're more likely to pick a scuzzbag. :D Wow, one thing's for sure, a Jedi-in-training even never has an uninterrupted evening. :p I think Lukia is really looking forward to the upside of her career choice. Naturally at her age, the freedom and action will appeal. [face_thinking] @};-