main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Journal of the Whills question

Discussion in 'Literature' started by marvelfett, Feb 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marvelfett

marvelfett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2002
    O.k I know that the Journal of the Whills is mentioned in the intro to the novelization of Star Wars, but is there any other mention of it in the E.U? What is it? I've heard it said that it is the name for the entire story, but where is this mentioned? Just curious.

2. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I don't believe it is mentioned anywhere else... possibly because Lucas may want to use it later in the saga.

3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    It's mentioned in the Movie Trilogy Sourcebook ( 1993 ) from West End Games.

4. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Plot Synopsis for Indy 4
    The new movie is going to be called "Indiana Jones and the Journal of the Whills." Astute readers will recognize The Journal of the Whills as the mythical text in the prologue to the original Star Wars novelisation. The Journal of the Whills is quite literally a written history of galactic civilization.

Harrison Ford will be returning in Indy Four in a desperate race against the Communists to unlock the secrets of the Whills and discover the ancient alien tome. Along the way, Indy will discover surprising truths about his own ancestry that are guaranteed to shock and amaze. To succeed, Indy will have to learn the mysterious ways of The Force in order to even his odds against a shadowy Soviet assassin. Can Indy overcome sinister traps and dark adversaries in his quest to recover the Journal of the Whills and keep the world safe from Communist domination? You can bet on it. Unfortunately it will be at least six years until we get to see how. Will Indy trade in his trusty whip for a lightsaber? I wouldn't hold my breath, but anything is possible.

5. very-superior

very-superior Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Indy 4 info

George says, "Up to 2005 my mind is focused on the Star Wars movies. I don't know how I could find time for Indy before 2006. Steven and Harrison want to do a new adventure but we're all very busy with other projects. The most difficult thing will be to block out our schedules for a whole year to focus solely on Indy IV. Steven isn't scared of working on several projects at the same time as writer, producer and director. I can't do that. Anyway, all hope is not lost for a new Indiana Jones film."

from ign filmforce

Also, Lucas has registered and trademarked the name "Indiana Jones and the Lost Continent"

I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic, DL, but my info is real : )

6. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
  7. marvelfett

Jan 1, 2002
    Hey sturm Antilles, tell me where the reference is.
    thanks

8. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Also, Lucas has registered and trademarked the name "Indiana Jones and the Lost Continent"

I seem to remember hearing that rumor 10 years ago, and it's since been said to be a hoax.

9. very-superior

very-superior Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Actually, you can look request the the info from the trademark office, and he does own it. Just because he owns it doesn't mean it will be used however.

He also owns the trademarks to American Graffiti 2 and 3, but we are never going to see those. But he does own the trademark to Indy and the Lost Continent.

10. marvelfett

Jan 1, 2002
    Actually, there was an "American Graffiti 2" it was called "More American Graffitti" and it wasn't very good.

11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Yes, Sturm is correct. Both the Whills and George Lucas plagiarised famed GFFA journalist/historian Voren Na'al in their introductions to certain parts of the Star Wars saga. [face_plain] :D

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Or perhaps he plagiarized the G2 droid in star tours who also used that phrase?

What chronological date did na'al decide to use the term long time ago in a galaxy far far away?

Perhaps this is why na'al has never refrenced the events in star tours, he's afraid of being sued by the G2 droid if knowledge ever got out of the events there, ;), :D.

13. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    :D Good one! :D

14. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Hey sturm Antilles, tell me where the reference is.
    thanks.

Like page 2. Alliance reporter Voren Na'al types up an intro to the Galactic Civil War, which becomes the opening scrolls that we all know and love in the movies. As for the Whills, he says something like, "...When our time is considered in the Journal of the Whills..."

What chronological date did na'al decide to use the term long time ago in a galaxy far far away?

Looking over my books, the original intro was in fact in Galaxy Guide 1, which is written about 6 months after ANH. So he's first. The G2 droids must have read his report. :D

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Or it's like the galaxy pop phrase, so commonly said that everyone uses it. At which point it becomes, like the phrase "Once upon a time", a cliche in literary circles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.