main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Journey On - Beru's Ruminations (a vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by MirandaFair, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Title: Journey On - Beru's Ruminations (a vignette)
    Author: MirandaFair
    Characters: Beru Lars, Owen Lars, Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Timeframe: ANH
    A/N: As always, I'd like to thank my beta-fantastic, oldjedinurse and my amazingly supportive Master, RedGold for showing me the light.;)

Also, thank you to my readers! Enjoy....

Journey On - Beru's Ruminations

The morning turns aside. The suns on Tatooine bake the soil in the afternoon heat. All is quiet in the homestead as I follow Owen, my beloved husband. He turns to glance at me, and I meet his eyes, only for a moment. I study the walls of our home. The dust of the desert has added layers of soot, contributing to it's character.

People from the past haunt my steps. Dear Padmé, faded like a star, dimmed from the galaxy, lost so young when she had many more years to live. Shmi and Clegg, my friends and family too, are gone. While we haven't spoken about them for nineteen years, I know their spirits are still with us in the rare breeze that caresses my face and cools my skin. Anakin. Bittersweet memories take hold. I blink away the moist tears that sting the corners of my eyes.

The suns' light filters through the open doorway to our bedchamber. Luke. I remember your first night with us. The evening was long and difficult when you awoke from your dream. You cried, and cried, as if you knew you were lost, that you had been torn away from all that you were born to love. I held you 'till you stopped crying, your head nestled against my breast, which could only give you comfort and protection, but not the milk you craved.

I always wanted a child, more so than Owen, perhaps. We tried, but were denied that blessing. I knew when you arrived, as I gazed into your baby-blue eyes, that I had been destined all along to play a mother of a different sort.

We would not lie to you, tell you that you were our son. You knew from the beginning you were our nephew. While we raised you more strictly than other parents or guardians would have raised their children, we still raised you in love.

An echo of a little boy's laughter comforts my thoughts. I think about how much joy you have brought to our lives. In my mind, I see how handsome you've grown, but I also notice the longing in your soul to move outward.

I remember our visits to the market. Leading you by the hand, I'd sometimes catch a glimpse of Obi-Wan Kenobi peering out from the shadows, gazing at you intently. His roguish face now bared as many wrinkles as mine. No words were ever exchanged between the Jedi and I. Yet our eyes would meet and our thoughts became the same. We understand even then, that something beyond anything we can imagine awaits you.

Uncle Owen tried to shelter you, to keep you safe from your inevitable destiny. But while the paths we take may delay the outcome, the roads still lead us to what has already been chosen for us. We cannot change the fact of who we were born to be. You are a Skywalker through and through. From your mother's kindness to your father's handsome looks and love for adventure.

I rub my stomach, push away the worry, and assure myself that you will be okay. Unlike your father, you will choose the right path. We've raised you to always follow your heart and be true to yourself, not to let others dictate who you should be.

As you found your way to us in the twilight, I know you'll find your way through the galaxy. I know you'll find your way to the mysterious Force. That's been your destiny. You're late to bloom, but you'll grow nonetheless.

It is now time for us to fulfill our fates. We can only hope we've protected you long enough Luke.

We have left the shelter of the homestead and our eyes adjust to the harsh sunlight. Voices try to break through my ruminations, but fail. Owen, at the end, struggles in rage, but I squeeze his hand. I would not let the last moments with my love be spent in anger, as anger ever only brought grief to peoples' lives. Only m

2. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Beautiful, Miranda...
    I've always thought that, although Luke has undoubtly his parents genes, his character came at least partially from the Lars...

3. JediMindTrick000

JediMindTrick000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2004
    Wow! Very nicely done! I think this the first thing I've ever read of yours, Miranda, and I like it a lot! I think I'm definitely gonna hafta hang out more in Beyond the Saga too. =)

And I think I've decided Ruminations is my new favorite word. Why? It's pertty... :cool:

Great job!

4. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Wow! Responses?! :D How cool is this?!?! ;)

Golden_Jedi: Beautiful, Miranda...

Thank you for stopping by to read it.[:D] I know I should have been writing part II of Chapter 7...but this bunny wouldn't leave me alone.

I've always thought that, although Luke has undoubtly his parents genes, his character came at least partially from the Lars...

Glad to see our thoughts ran parallel to each other.[face_batting] He was raised by two loving people...who showed their love in different ways. It helped mold Luke into being a compassionate young man. Past influences the future...yup yup. lol!

JediMindTrick000: Wow! Very nicely done! I think this the first thing I've ever read of yours, Miranda, and I like it a lot! I think I'm definitely gonna hafta hang out more in Beyond the Saga too. =)

Aww! Thank you so much for R&R![:D] I'm very happy you liked it. It's rare for me to break out of Beyond...so I definitely can relate. Maybe we should trade off? ;)

And I think I've decided Ruminations is my new favorite word. Why? It's pertty...

[face_laugh] It is a fun word, isn't it? I get bored of typing out "thought(s)"...it should be dressed up more with a pretty word. ;)

Great job!

Thank you again!

5. Elana

Elana Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    That was lovely. Beru is such a sweet person. Luke was lucky to have her.

6. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Very beautiful. I love it.

7. AzulSaber

AzulSaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    That was simply beautiful. So sad. But exactly what I'd picture Beru thinking in those final moments of her life.

If only they could've seen how great Luke became...how he went on to follow the right path, fulfilling what they'd taught him.

Great job! :)

8. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Beautiful vig. =D= I love the little insights into Beru.

As you found your way to us in the twilight, I know you'll find your way through the galaxy. I know you'll find your way to the mysterious Force. That's been your destiny. You're late to bloom, but you'll grow nonetheless.

[face_love] [face_love]

9. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I close my eyes and shudder my last breath, my final wish being that you defeat the darkness that brought you here.

Find your way, Luke. Journey on.

Oh, this was great! I love Beru and I love how you've portrayed her final moments. I like that she'd rather spend them pondering her love for Owen and Luke. [face_love]

10. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Beautiful. Truely a wonderful weaving of written words, well done!

[That's a lot of W's. LOL. :D ]

11. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was wonderful. You did a great expanding on a character barely mentioned in the movies. Her thoughts were very believable.

I especially enjoyed how she stayed strong in the end as the blasters were pointed at her

great job!!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

12. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    :_|

We've raised you to always follow your heart and be true to yourself, not to let others dictate who you should be.

:_| There's a line in one of the novels in which Luke thinks about Anakin Skywalker as being his father, but Owen and Beru as being his parents. And this vig definitely captured that. Jedi he may be, but they also taught him all the right values. Wonderful! =D=

13. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    So sweet and so sad. I really like the way you've portrayed Beru. You've captured her character perfectly, it seems. Really, an excellent job. Through the fic, it's clear that she really cares for Luke, and that she understands his struggles and hopes. She really is his mother in this vignette.

14. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Elana: That was lovely. Beru is such a sweet person. Luke was lucky to have her.

Thank you for reading and reviewing, Elana. Luke was very lucky to have both Owen & Beru.

FelsGoddess: Very beautiful. I love it.

Thank you!!! [:D]

AzulSaber: That was simply beautiful. So sad. But exactly what I'd picture Beru thinking in those final moments of her life.

I appreciate you stopping by! Thank you for your kind words. :)

If only they could've seen how great Luke became...how he went on to follow the right path, fulfilling what they'd taught him.

Hmm...there could be another bunny hopping around there. :)

Great job!

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. [:D]

JadeLotus: Beautiful vig. I love the little insights into Beru.

Thank you! Beru just popped into my head yesterday while I was at work. She wouldn't leave me alone until I finished writing her vig. I've never really had that happen before, so I was very excited. Thankfully work wasn't very busy, and I had some free time to jot it down.

I too loved the passage you quoted.

ginchy:I close my eyes and shudder my last breath, my final wish being that you defeat the darkness that brought you here.

Find your way, Luke. Journey on.

Oh, this was great! I love Beru and I love how you've portrayed her final moments. I like that she'd rather spend them pondering her love for Owen and Luke.

Thank you very much, ginchy. I wrote the vig assuming she knew this was her destiny, what part she was meant to play. Uncle Owen was putting up a fight, but she knew it was in that sense of the word, hopeless. All the hope was now left to Luke.

Thank you for R&R. :D

Aiel: Beautiful. Truely a wonderful weaving of written words, well done!

[That's a lot of W's. LOL. ]

One can never have too many W's. ;) Thank you for your kind review. I'm so happy you stopped on by.

KELIA: That was wonderful. You did a great expanding on a character barely mentioned in the movies. Her thoughts were very believable.

WOW! Thank you. I'm glad Beru came off real. This is my first vig, so I was hoping the technique of it was on key.

I especially enjoyed how she stayed strong in the end as the blasters were pointed at her

That part moved me to tears, when I was writing it. I knew where the vig was leading. But it's amazing how the written word can affect both reader & writer.

great job!!

I thank you, again.[:D]

JadeSolo: We've raised you to always follow your heart and be true to yourself, not to let others dictate who you should be.

There's a line in one of the novels in which Luke thinks about Anakin Skywalker as being his father, but Owen and Beru as being his parents. And this vig definitely captured that. Jedi he may be, but they also taught him all the right values. Wonderful!

I haven't had the opporutnity to read the novel, but I always had the sense that Luke's relationship between his Aunt and Uncle was very paternal. Thank you!

Alethia
    : So sweet and so sad. I really like the way you've portrayed Beru. You've captured her character perfectly, it seems. Really, an excellent job. Through the fic, it's clear that she really cares for Luke, and that she understands his struggles and hopes. She really is his mother in this vignette.

[face_blush] Aww, thank you. I'm glad you 'clicke

15. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    [:D]

I just loved this piece ... all over again!

I'm so glad you posted it. Your writing talent is really coming to the fore...so keep at it!!

oldj

16. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That really felt like true feelings from a mother. Love the intimate look into Beru.

17. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Ooo! More responses! [face_dancing]

oldjedinurse: I just loved this piece ... all over again!

Thank you for looking it over for me. Always happy my work is just as enjoyable being read a 2nd time.

I'm so glad you posted it. Your writing talent is really coming to the fore...so keep at it!!

[:D] I appreciate your support. [:D] There are plenty of wonderful writers to look up to here, on the forums. Thank you again. [:D]

Healer_Leona: That really felt like true feelings from a mother. Love the intimate look into Beru.

Thank you for stopping by Leona! I had to go on the love that I was raised on, how I'd hope to raise my children. I don't have little ones, but I had a great example of a mother to go by. I'm happy my feelings translated well into words. :)

Thank you all again. [:D]

18. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Only a harmless UP. [face_batting]

19. lost_jedii

lost_jedii Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2005
    Excellent =D= =D=

This viggie is so beautiful! So sad in some parts too :_| I liked the part where Obi-Wan watched Luke in the market, I'd always imagined he secretly watched Luke grow up, always keeping an eye out for him. At the same time, I suddenly feel so sad for Obi :(
    His roguish face now bared as many wrinkles as mine. No words were ever exchanged between the Jedi and I. :_|

You captured Beru perfectly, and all the good effects they had on Luke [face_love] Again, absolutely loved this! =D=

20. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    lost_jedii: Excellent

This viggie is so beautiful! So sad in some parts too I liked the part where Obi-Wan watched Luke in the market, I'd always imagined he secretly watched Luke grow up, always keeping an eye out for him. At the same time, I suddenly feel so sad for Obi

His roguish face now bared as many wrinkles as mine. No words were ever exchanged between the Jedi and I.

You captured Beru perfectly, and all the good effects they had on Luke Again, absolutely loved this!

Aww, You flatter me. [face_blush] Thank you so much for your kind review. It's always so rewarding when you read how a piece you've written moves a reader. I'm so happy you enjoyed it. :)

21. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Just to see if it sticks in this rainy weather...;)

22. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    :_| :_| So sad, yet so beautiful. I loved how you portrayed Beru - her memories of her life and loved ones, her hope for Luke and the calm acceptance of her fate.

That was absolutely stunning. Bravo! =D= =D=

23. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Gina, thank you so much for reading and responding. A 'stunning'? My goodness, not sure if I've ever got one of those before. *thinks back* Beru is a character I always wanted to learn more about. She seems like such a strong role model for Luke to have been raised by. Some of her must have brushed off on Luke.

Thank you again! [:D]

24. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Give this a simple UP before a new month begins and I forget about it for good. ;)

25. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Wow, when you write from the heart, you ain't kidding... cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.