main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Journey to Episode VII: The Fall of the Empire / The Rise of the Rebellion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EternalHero, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

There are three other books in the same series - entitled Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia. In my mind they can either be 'catch up' books for youngsters who may have just seen the PT or a history of the 30 odd years between ROTJ and TFA. Somehow I think the former is the most likely option.

AndyLGR and Satipo like this.
  2. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Sometimes its easy to forget that we as adults don't really need too much of a catch up, yet there are plenty of SW fans who's young kids love the PT and TCW more than the OT. I know that was the case for my son and some of my friends kids are the same. So they really need to grab that audience age group again.

TheBBP and Satipo like this.
  3. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    This makes me optimistic that we will see some return of the Republic in Episode 7

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. WrathofRunia

WrathofRunia Jedi Padawan

Oct 19, 2014
    So the Empire has fallen from the standing it once had, and the Rebellion is continuing to strength. Well, I'd say it sounds like the Empire will still be around to some extent.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  5. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    How bout this scenario: after the Battle of Endor, the Alliance gained a great deal of momentum and was on the verge of restoring the Republic when it was revealed (perhaps by Imperial loyalists) that their poster child, Luke Skywalker, was the son of none other than Darth Vader. Shunned by the Alliance, & wanted by the Empire and every bounty hunter in the galaxy, a battle weary Luke sought refuge and guidance from the force. His journey led him to a secluded island of meditation.

Meanwhile, Han & Leia kept her relation to Luke a secret in an attempt to prevent a fractured Alliance from splintering further. An Empire and its loyalist core worlds once on the verge of collapse, agreed to a shaky peace treaty with the free worlds of the Alliance. Leadership of the Empire was secured by a ruthless & elitist family with support from the Moffs.

Tensions mount in this "cold war" scenario as both sides engage in an arms race. Jedi & Sith are a welcomed distant memory. Force sensitives, lacking guidance, either hide or exploit their abilities for bad or good. No matter their intentions however, they are hunted ruthlessly by the Empire & their sinister agents.

When Kira finally meets Luke, he reveals that her survival is crucial to not only the galaxy; but the awakening of the force itself.

6. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

I agree, and will add the following point. If everything really revolved around Palpatine, cutting the head off the snake might have caused such a calamitous collapse that people would be literally picking up the pieces for years to come.

Abadacus likes this.
  7. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Cut off the head, two more take its place... Hail Hydra!

...oh, crap, I just made a case for the Rule of Two to resurface. :(

8. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014

Or an excellent job, depending upon his intentions.
    He expected to either cheat death, or be succeeded by an even more powerful Sith Lord who could keep the Moffs and Grand Admirals in line.
    He had no desire to be loved by his followers, only to have power over them; by dividing responsibilities between capable, ambitious, but power-hungry, wroth, and prideful men, he insured that none would unite to threaten his power.
    This strategy applied even within branches of the Empire. The Navy can bombard, but has no power to occupy a planet or assault a planetary shield generator with only marines. The Army can occupy, but cannot mobilize without the Navy, and would be slaughtered by Stormtroopers. The Stormtroopers are loyal the Imperial Throne only - but just in case, are too few in number to subjugate the galaxy themselves, and likewise rely on the Navy for extensive operations and the Army for vehicle support. All fear the ISB. Even the ISB fears the Emperor's Hands and Lord Vader.
    No matter how ambitious the man, they had to realize that even a successful coup could only result in ruling over a shattered and ruined galaxy.
    The chaos and decades-long period of Warlords, plots, and power struggles that followed the Emperor's death was his final perverse revenge upon the galaxy. If he couldn't rule it, he would set the pieces in motion to burn it.

At least that's the interpretation I favor in the Legends timeline. We'll see how it's depicted now.

HankSolo likes this.
  9. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
  10. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    How is this intriguing.

ROTJ ends with the insinuation that the Empire is now falling, the Rebellion on the rise. The tides have turned.

We've known for 30 some odd years that the likely step after the battle of Endor was the fall of the Empire and the rise of the Rebellion/New Govt.

Coming up next: Journey to Episode VII: Luke, Han and Leia Grow Older

11. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

It's more or less a recap of the OT told through the eyes of two characters with some narrative included that points things toward TFA.

Lucky for you, purchases are voluntary.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  12. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000

Until you know how much of the;

"...original, post-Episode VI content that sets up the new film"

is included you can't really dismiss it.

13. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

To the best of my knowledge I did not dismiss anything.

14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Lucky for me? My post didn't have anything to do with whether the product was worth purchase.

I was directly addressing the OP calling the title "intriguing" and pontificating about some hidden meaning in the rather basic title. Fall of the Empire/Rise of the Rebellion is information we already have. The title doesn't point to anything.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think it sounds like really cool and interesting book series. Can't wait!

TheBBP likes this.
  16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    sooooooo, this book is a Romeo and Juliet Star Wars Book.:p

TheBBP likes this.
  17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'd be lying if I said that description wasn't disappointing. I know these are juvenile novels and there could certainly be more in the pipeline that they haven't announced yet, but I was expecting a little more meat about the time period between the trilogies and TFA itself with titles like "Journey to..." Another rehash of the OT story through the eyes of so-and-so is rather boring, IMO. I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of A New Dawn, which acts as a lead-in to Rebels. And heck, maybe this is all premature and we will still get that...so, I guess I will just shutup now and wait and see. :p

Just wanted to take a moment to vent.

18. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

I bet that the rebel takes the poison as promised and the filthy Imp reneges.

hippie1kenobi and starocean90 like this.
  19. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

it's actually Star Wars meets Romeo and Juliet, my mistake.:p

EternalHero likes this.
  20. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I think they want to keep some surprise about where the galaxy is as TFA begins. I imagine in the months between TFA and VIII, we will start seeing the real deluge of books about "how we got here..." They also may want to keep that era somewhat "clean" for a future animated series.

21. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Looks like I was on to something after all ;)

22. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I think the hints about VII in this book. might be a somewhat similar storyline for Boyega and Ridley.

my kind of scum likes this.
  23. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Please please please be either original characters that may or may not feature in E7.... *Braces self for the inevitable 'it's LUKE and (THE THING)!' posts....[face_sick]

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  24. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Interesting and I hope it also explains something regarding the state of the Jedi and Luke after Episode VI.

25. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000

"...purchases are voluntary."

Would indicate that you are somewhat dismissive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.