main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens Shattered Empire

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darthcaedus1138, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    True, FACPOV. Mark Hammill's made quite the career for himself in voice acting, while Carrie Fisher has focused more on stage over screen (IIRC in the latter case - I can cite Hammill's voice work on Batman: The Animated Series and the first Avatar series).

I'm just hopeful that Shattered Empire ties in well with Aftermath. We have the Story Group, and I'm hoping we can see real coordination (not, AFAIK, that we haven't seen it so far).

An idea - given the events of ROTJ, what titles do we think will replace Darth Vader and, likely, Princess Leia by the time Shattered Empire comes out?

IIRC, Marvel's doing 5-book mini-arcs at the moment, which doesn't preclude Leia continuing into the post-ROTJ timeframe ... but Blue Glowy Redeemed Chosen One doesn't have the same ring, much less a lot of promise for action. :p

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    sign me up for Shattered Empire then

Trebor Sabreon and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014
    Darth Vader is an ongoing, so that one will not end so soon. As for Princess Leia, I think we will se a Han Solo miniseries this summer or fall. We have had a Luke novel, a Leia comic and of course we must have something for Han.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You'll find out what replaces Leia in about 3 weeks!

Vader's book is going nowhere.

CooperTFN likes this.
  5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Agreed. The most likely candidate for following up the Leia miniseries is a Han mini taking place concurrently with Heir to the Jedi . HTTJ's first chapter even sets it up:

Revanfan1 and Hamawald like this.
  6. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    There's at least two stories there:

a) One concurrent with 'Princess Leia' which shows how they lost all their reward money
    b) Them being off trying to get more during HTTJ.

See? There's still plenty of stories to cram into these few weeks/months already covered. Ha!

7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

I did just happen to peek at some of the supposed spoilers for the film. Won't go into it very thoroughly (as I myself just scanned over some of it) But in all honesty most of what I read looked like something that would be on fanfiction.net. And I would guess that is where most of the plot outlines of the movie belong. I'm sure there are snippets of truth in those articles here and there but the rest is probably just Star Wars fans filling in all those blanks with the type of story that they personally would like to see.

Vthuil likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So, about the Shattered Empire series, it just got my interest in a more concrete way.

This is from Marvel's Sept-Dec 2015 catalogue here:

http://images.abovethetreeline.com/ea/TW/pdfs/MARBKPREVIEWSept-Dec15 (reduced).pdf

Here's the info on the trade due in November: (my emphasis)

Rucka writing this would sell me it.

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Ben has the trade expertise to correct me if I'm wrong, but 128 pages at $16.99 is pretty close to a confirmation that's it's 5 issues long.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. JLG

JLG Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2005
    Holy crap, amazing news. More Greg Rucka. I hope this trend contines.

5 issues is prefect. When I saw "event series" I was worried it was going to be, like, 20 issues a month from September to December or something.

Jedi Ben and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    So is Shattered Empire going to be a five issue mini series then like Leia is or is it ongoing?

12. JLG

JLG Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2005

The Previews has Vol. #s for all the other trades, but just refers to this one as "STAR WARS: JOURNEY TO STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS - SHATTERED EMPIRE TPB," so I'm pretty sure this is it. Will probably be a weekly or bi-weekly series throughout September and October.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    "Event series" just means "we're rushing out the trade".

Random Comments and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    We can't do much more than speculate - it's totally possible (although unlikely) that Vader will still be running then - but I'd hazard a guess as to something analogous to the Rogue Squadron books in the old EU. Smaller scale, secondary characters, mopping up the empire sort of thing.

15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

The Vader comic will still be going long after Shattered Empire comes out. It is an ongoing series and with how successful it has been there is no reason to end it.

Jedi Ben and darklordoftech like this.
  16. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    The cover alone reminds me of why I love Star Wars :cool:

17. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Lol at Marvel putting up "classified" on it's page, this isn't Secret Wars Marvel it's Star Wars!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I totally agree. Sales are high, reviews are good, and it's not as if Vader's popularity is ever going to drop. Marvel would be crazy to cancel the series any time soon, and frankly they've done everything right so far so I just can't see that happening.

Jedi Ben and darklordoftech like this.
  19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Yeah at the very least they will tell a very thorough and detailed story leading up to Empire. At that point they may end it because I am not sure it is in their agenda to tell the Vader story inbetween Empire and Jedi (nor is there probably quite as much room to tell interesting stories as Vader seems indifferent about turning Luke over to the Emperor and getting him to join the darkside).

Plus by then they will likely have these ST characters whose backstories they will want to explore.

20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think it would be cool to see Sheev order Vader to go to the DS II and put Jerjerrod back on schedule.

Hamawald likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd say 5 is most likely, particularly as Vader is 136 at 6 issues.

They haven't mentioned event tie-ins yet, have they? [face_devil]

22. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    After ESB Vader is pretty much on auto-pilot, so there's not really much to do with him there.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not convinced. Just because the time frame has been little used doesn't mean it can't be used well.

Orman Tagge likes this.
  24. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Agreed. I think it'd make sense for Marvel to have the ANH-ESB timeline locked down in their comics by the time TFA comes out.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No, I think that'd be a terrible idea. They have 3 years to play with. Barreling through years recklessly was one of the downfalls of Legends, let's not repeat that.