main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens Shattered Empire

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darthcaedus1138, Mar 13, 2015.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Thrawn and Sheeev (and Sheeeev) are pretty major roadblocks.

2. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I agree; they most definitely were major roadblocks. That's why I said "for the most part." Or at least I think I did. Those were the only two though. I'm hoping for an even more up hill battle. That's not to say I didn't love the EU version, but I want it to play out differently and I want it to be even better because they have the ability to do so. This is out of love for the EU -- I'm using it as a comparison that will determine my overall satisfaction with the storyline (it won't affect my opinion of individual stories or series. Also, I'm an Empire fan, so I want them to be unified and powerful for as long as possible.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They're later, and they're more resurgencies against an already established NR. The galaxy mostly fell into the Rebellion's hands between Endor and Thrawn, with a few small-scale campaigns like Brentaal and Coruscant.

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I just wanted to make a Sheeev joke. :(

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That's the impression I got from the ads -- the Anoat Sector being such a distant backwater, that Governor Adelhard guy looks like he's just going to be another Imperial Warlord of the Week with delusions of grandeur. Shattered Empire will probably show us a more representative view of the Galaxy. I hope it will be a little like the X-Wing comics, with the Empire still sure it wants an Empire, but nobody's sure how to keep it running.

starfish likes this.
  6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Yeah, I loved the x-wing comics and books. Tycho getting into fights with imps claiming Endor never occurred was the first thing I thought of when I read about Uprising.

Maybe Warlord Zsinj is the imposter Vader :p

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  7. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The kicker here is that too all us that have followed the EU, we know that the Empire never was eliminated. TFA trailers shows us that and a strong dark side force user, which is also nothing special to us when you dig deep and think about it. This new novel as well as the new movie will .....seem very familiar to us because unlike good old GL, we never took ROTJ to mean it was the end of the cycle. Maybe the storyline of Luke, Anakin, the force prophecy part of it, but about the Empire just folding and dying, nope not by a landslide. What is going to happen is that all this new stuff is really going to be old stuff for us. Wait and see.

The new people will benefit more because since Disney is a marketing machine, they will build star wars as the new way and that every story coming out of their products are now one cohesive universe to include the comic books (Star Wars Insider 158). This will lure new fans in so the EU and hopefully to the movie. For those guys, ROTJ was the last thing that happened, but with this new way of doing things they can get a bigger profit margin than ever before and get many new fans and maybe even getting some of the old ones back.

What Shattered Empire will do is show us a new way of how the Empire survived and continued to be a racking force.

This new era will have the X-wing books, Thrawn, Dark Empire, etc all meshed into new elements of story telling. For us old timers, we will see this as like General Zod said in Superman II when he was inside Superman's home. "A relic from the past, nothing special here, no style at all." For the new people, well, they'll be gushing over it, and here, of boy the battle between old eu and new eu, the OT vs PT and ST.

starfish likes this.
  8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It does not NEED to be a battle at all simply because different elements speak to different people. I have erased all projected lines by Companies and Fandom. :p I like what I like and that's all that matters. :)

starfish likes this.
  9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    [​IMG]

Sinrebirth and darklordoftech like this.
  10. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    I know that the writer of this comic is also writing a Han Solo YA novel: Smuggler's Run, taking place between A New Hope and Empire, also part of the Journey to the Force Awakens program, published by Disney-Lucasfilm Press. I'm not sure about the plot of this book and Shattered Empire but I'm guessing the writer is going to connect the novel with the comic. Probably Smuggler's Run is a prequel to Shattered Empire.

11. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Smuggler's Run takes place in between ANH and TESB. It wouldn't surprise me if there are natural references between the two, however.

Looking forward to both, Greg Rucka is one of the few authors I implicitly trust.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Your knowledge of internet history is weak.

Try this classic (and poorly edited, yes) image:

[​IMG]

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [face_rofl]

On the one hand, it's Rucka so it should be good.

On the other - and Aftermath's in the same boat - I'm hesitant about how well it'll work as it's inevitably going to be traipsing over old ground.

Still, it's Rucka, it'll be good.

Dante1120 likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    weird double post

15. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    It's funny to look at the memes and images, but I'm telling you, Jello: it was even funnier to watch the guy at the time. His disconnect with reality was hilarious.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, that's why he spawned the meme to begin with. The guy was incredible at denying what was right in front of him.

When they later interviewed him after the war's conclusion ("conclusion"), the fact that he was actually just a normal person was disappointing.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What's really scary is that gag is 12 years old! We likely have some posters now who were but toddlers at the time!

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Scarier is that we've been on these boards longer than some users have been alive :p

19. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    He was completely understandable when you consider the nature of the Baathist system. His orders were to say what his government wanted him to say, no matter HOW divorced from fact, until his government no longer had to power to kill him if he didn't.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And so it begins.

Taalcon likes this.
  22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Very nice! =D=

23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Very nice indeed!

I like Noto's cover a little tiny bit better, but this is fantastic. Looking forward to Checchetto's interior art, should be some good art of the fleet, ships, space, and such.

24. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Beautiful. That stunner should have been the regular cover IMO.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  25. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I like how the Falcon is still missing it's sensor dish. Nice attention to detail. And the subtitle Shattered Empire works much better with the twin visuals of the DS II being blown up and the Stormtrooper helmet fracturing than the one of the rebels celebrating. Very good cover, I like it.