main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to TFA: Lost Stars by Claudia Gray (finally coming to paperback Aug 1!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 8, 2015.

1. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I do hope there is a sequel using the idea you mentioned about Ciena being rescued by pro Imperial forces. Something like that would enchance the tragedy and I think prove fairly effective. Plus it would allow the characters' stories to be expanded without nullifying the first book, which I do feel is necessary.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I do hope the Lost Stars popularity results in a sequel.

3. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Maybe ten years in universe later and an indirect sequel. I could live with that. Make Ciena Ree some kind of ideal legend in the FO bed time story, and her an evil war crime committing tool of the Empire in NR circles. In reality no one knows for sure. Thane is missing as well, but in reality rotting in a ditch.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I'm confident there will be eventually. While the story could end where it did, I felt like it wasn't finished. Also, I really liked all of the characters in Lost Stars and want more.

5. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    See this is why I don't think that kind of story (or some of the proposed "Ciena is executed!" or "Thane dies!" stories), would work. IMO, the story is tragic enough as it is.

In all probability, Ciena will be released from prison (Thane, with his cynical side showing again, says that even if the NR chooses revenge over justice, the sheer number of prisoners and her knowing people in high places will guarntee she won't stay there long.) But even if they somehow patch things up and restart their relationship, even if they go to Jelucan to become farmers or something, their choices and experiences will always be a dark cloud hanging over them. They are different people now. Even if everything goes right for them, even if the Jelucani welcome them back, they can never truly have a "happy ending". Which is why to me any other additional tragedy befalling them just seems tacked on and over complicates it.

BigAl6ft6, AhsokaSolo and DARTH_MU like this.
  6. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    As I said, an indirect sequel after 10 to 20 years involving other kids -- their descendant? I mean kids of Ciena/her Non Thane husband and that of Thane and his non Ciena wife in the ST post Hosnian Prime era?

7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I agree.

It's not necessarily required that Cienna simply come around to accepting her mistakes and seeing the righteousness in Thane's decision to save her, but dramatically speaking, it feels extremely preferable. The book ended with a dramatic gulf between the two. If you were to write a sequel, at the least, you'd probably milk the war crimes charges (as nonsensical as they are) and probably have some serious therapy-esque moments to deal with the psychological damage the Empire inflicted on Cienna.

And the post-Jakku Galaxy still feels like enough of a Wild West analogue to supply some scenario in which Thane and Cienna could be given a mission on which to hash out their disagreements and reconstruct Cienna's moral code. Cienna has a point about why holding your word sacrosanct *can* be a great virtue earlier in the book, and as Chris0013, having some 1st wavers analyze their honor codes would be interesting. And I'd argue that Cienna's the perfect Imperial to drive home the total illusion of Order Requires Tyranny that Palpatine spread.

Have Cienna either paroled (if you're going to insist on messing up war crime definitions) or simply in self-imposed exile, and have her recruited by Thane to help with some altruistic endeavor with an antagonist who can be fought (like slave traders who they're going to stop), and make the main subplot about rehabbing Cienna's honor.

JediBatman likes this.
  8. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    As long as we get more Claudia Gray SW books I'm good, whether they be direct sequels to this one or completely different.

9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    This reminds me of Myn Donos and Gara Petothel; the relationship may have a firm foundation, but it's got some messy bits.

And I really want to see more.

10. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Why would Ciena or any non defected Imperial join the NR(Thane) in pirate hunting?

The best you could do is probably have pirate raid on still Imperial planet Jelucan where a demobilized Ciena is(no sane Imperial would trust a former POW, this is correct thinking, no matter if the POW didn't talk, the risk is too great), and the NR comes to Jeleucan to hunt the pirates. Conflict come in where the still loyal governor of Jeleucan tries to repulse the NR invasion. In this case Ciena won't be joining Thane in an official capacity.

11. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Myn and Gara is actually a really good example. You can have the two of them get together in the end, but it won't exactly be a sunshine and roses, Cinderella and Prince Charming kind of thing.

DARTH_MU likes this.
  12. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Exactly. There weren't any direct sequels but their presence is always felt. Lending a shuttle during the Vong war. Their children are prospective X-wing pilots... A cameo by a Ewok pilot.

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you, if I was writing it I'd actually like some genuine fighting between them as well.

Like Thane getting it through his thick skull that Ciena not only knew about the Empire's atrocities but continued to serve them despite it because it was the "right" thing to do.

And Ciena realizing Thane will always bend before he breaks.

I would also love to have Thane realize he really doesn't fit in well with a "good" government just because he has problems with authority in general and decide to go independent.

I'd love for the pair to start over but it shouldn't on their homeworld because that has too many memories.

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  14. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014

Poor Gara...it was a shame that ended the way it did...at least Myn did get in contact with his old friend Kirney Slane and that seems to have worked out.;)

I do not think it should be anything to do with the NR....like I said earlier about them going home and both being recruited for their plants new PSF and combating pirates and such there.

JediBatman likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Lost Stars is finally coming to paperback August 1 (or tomorrow, if you're at SDCC).

Special bonus: it comes with the first chapter of the upcoming Leia YA.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I guess people best buy the Hard Backs before they are all gone then.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anything about paperbacks for WOTJ, MT, SR, BTA?

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Didn't she end up taking up a new identity and ended up with Myn anyway?

19. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    That was the ;) at the end of my Gara Petothal comment.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  20. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Definitely high time I actually purchased a copy of this--preferably hard cover.

21. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Does the paperback still have the "Journey to the Force Awakens" branding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    So...Thane met Wedge 18 months ABY...and was on Hoth for about 3 weeks before the Battle of Hoth 3 ABY....what was he doing in the intervening year and a half?

Some sort of non-sensitive work? Flying cargo from point to point without getting close to important people or bases while intelligence was vetting him?? Any opportunities for short stories of his life during that time???

Revanfan1 and JediBatman like this.
  23. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Come to think of it, there is sort of an odd gap in the three years between Yavin and Hoth. Not just with Thane either. Despite serving on the Devastator and then Executor, apparently nothing noteworthy happened to Ciena other than rescuing those people on that lava planet. And Kendy's patrol didn't mutiny until around the battle of Hoth either. And this is the lady who said "Good people can start to serve the Empire. But if they stay, they stop being good." You'd think she'd mutiny ASAP.

Then again, reading Wookieepedia it says Ciena boarded the Executor "two years" after Yavin and soon afterwards she heard about the probe droid that discovered Hoth. So there might have been a small date mix up.

Chrissonofpear2 and Revanfan1 like this.
  24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. robintucker

robintucker Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2019
    I absolutely LOVE this book. It changed my life. Not even kidding. I'm a songwriter, and I've got so much material about it. I kinda want to do an album called "Lost Stars" inspired by the book. Is that something people would be interested in?