main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to TFA: Lost Stars by Claudia Gray (finally coming to paperback Aug 1!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 8, 2015.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

A_JEDI, Sarge, cdgodin and 8 others like this.
  2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    No romance is perfect without a Giant Robot Vader behind it.

Sarge, cdgodin, Vthuil and 3 others like this.
  3. iucounu

iucounu Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014

By LOST STARS. I've not read DD.

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Totally different setup :p Also there were pirates!

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    First off, a romance subplot is different than an actual romance novel. Like, we're talking different genres here. This isn't an allegedly shoehorned romance (which can still be done well!), it's the actual basis for the story.

Second, female demographic? Who said anything about that? You're making assumptions here.

Third, even if it is geared towards a female demographic, why is it automatically the worst means to do it? There are bad romances and good romances (and Bad Romance was pretty popular!). You've not read it and you're judging it.

In conclusion, you've determined that romance == bad by definition and in so doing you've taken a subjective preference and made it objective.

Bad Hutt! Bad! :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

KSennia, cdgodin, Jedi Ben and 3 others like this.
  6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I love the smell of burning Star Destroyers in the morning.

--Adm. Nick

ShanOffirin, A_JEDI, Sarge and 8 others like this.
  7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Yes, I know that Star Destroyers are so hot they should be on fire, but actually using a soon-to-be-a-graveyard Imperial ship as your phone wallpaper... isn't it treasonous?

Seeher likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Please. Such accusations are for lesser people. I'm above that. Do you think Ars Dangor worries about such pedestrian things?

Besides, I had Luke Skywalker's Battlefront render as my wallpaper before that. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

darklordoftech and Sinrebirth like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm with Jello as far as the romance angle. There are bad ones and good ones. If this story turns out to be a sapfest full of metaphors about kisses becoming scars, I'll retract my praise for it very quickly.

I admit to being intrigued by the idea of a female Imperial. I have enjoyed female "baddies" in Star Wars, often more than I enjoy the "good girls." See also: Ventress and Eldon Ax, as compared to Ahsoka Tano, or Mara after she got "redeemed."

But then again, there's Isard and Moff Mors, neither of whom did much for me, so...who knows.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You like sarcastic people. Alignment is a secondary concern.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You know...you are absolutely correct about that. I just had not thought of it exactly that way.

Revanfan1 and Pfluegermeister like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah what makes me really interested in this is that's not framed as a typical romance story either. Like, I'm okay with sappy (I love Disney movies, after all, there's such a thing as good sap) but this seems different anyway. It's a it people who grew up together, who bonded over mutual interests. But then politics and war drove them apart. That's a different sort of framing than you usually see in SW romance, because it's developing over a long story and not just a tiny part of a bigger story.

And yes, I'm a noted fan of female Imperials provided they're not the Daala/Isard/Tavira sexy villain stereotype. I was okay with Mors -- I loved that she was sort of the lazy, decadent governor type (as much as I was uncomfortable with her initial intro).

RAE SLOANE was so great that my phone refuses to let me type her name in anything but all caps.

Ciena here seems like she'll be another interesting type. She's not from a luxurious background like Mors, but she's apparently a true believer in what the Empire represents. I'll be very interested in her conversations with Thane as they come from the same world but have very different beliefs. It'll especially be fun if she gives the aristo crap for talking about freedom etc while he lives in privilege.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Seeher, Revanfan1 and Sinrebirth like this.
  13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    FYI this is why my last relationship ended so catastrophically.

Jus' saying.

cdgodin, Revanfan1, Vthuil and 4 others like this.
  14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Sorry but divided by loyalty and the man she loves sounds so cliché it just hurts and I know that romance can be done well, Princess Bride is one of my favourite movies of all time after all and that one is pretty much a romantic chic flick incarnate, but then it at least has pirates :p Hell the Han Solo Trilogy had a romance plot that was pretty well done actually, but then it also had pirates.

Yes I am, but what else am I supposed to assume from the summary? [face_dunno]

One of the worst, alternatives tend to include even worse book covers and you can attract a female demographic with other means then with romance, not killing off interesting female characters for example works really well, or actually having female heros whose life does not boil down to having to orientate her life according to a potential mate…. You know like Rebels does it :p

Well it certainly does not make me optimistic for the story, which in principle actually sounds good, but you know *points up* :p

15. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    ewwww what if there's kissing D:

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Rebels, in creating two female characters who are not dependent on men for their happiness and well-being (or anything else) is part of the reason I'm optimistic about this.

Even the character who is (likely) romantically involved with a male character can pretty clearly function without him if needed.

I would be bothered if Lucas were still in charge, since his last star-crossed-lovers story included kisses that become scars and ended with Wussme Amidala.

Now if there's a triangle anywhere, I'm out.

Pfluegermeister and Gorefiend like this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Again though Gorefiend, it's one thing for a book to reduce its female characters to focusing on just a romantic plot and it's another to... you know, be designed from the ground up as a romance.

I agree there are many ways to attract a female audience (we say attract, there's already a female audience for SW and they're mostly attracted by... wait for it, SW :p) but romance isn't the worst unless it's this lazy, contrived, or calculated one.

Basically in all cases I think you're literally judging this book by its cover. Which is weird, because the cover is awesome.

As far as cliché goes, sure. But welcome to Star Wars. :p

a_g: the... third member of the love triangle is Falleen? His pheromones are what attract everyone.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jedi Ben and Vthuil like this.
  18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    GrandAdmiralJello: I "liked" your post for everything else in it, but I just want to take a moment to clarify that it's not an endorsement of the last line. Falleen are seriously THE WORST.

Sarge and darklordoftech like this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You can take solace in the fact that it was sarcastic and for lulz, then.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

But the cover is also lazy and bad :( :p

He maybe the book will indeed positively surprise me, but I am just not being optimistic here, which is not a surprise given the track record of recent SW novels.

DelRiego likes this.
  21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    THIS IS LIT YOU HAVE TO BE POSITIVE NOW GAAAHH

22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    :p
    [​IMG]

KSennia, Seeher, cdgodin and 6 others like this.
  23. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    No, this is a lazy cover. It could be way worse. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revanfan1, Ghost, Vthuil and 2 others like this.
  24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Where do you get this idea that romance means a female audience? Are men too macho for romance?

25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Yeah but it is hardly any better than that… you know especially compared to good covers like this.

[​IMG]

Of course not, but if you are promoting your ray guns, space fighters and political intrigue book by focusing on the romance part in the summary you seem to be aiming somewhere else then in the past ;)