main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to TFA: Lost Stars by Claudia Gray (finally coming to paperback Aug 1!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 8, 2015.

1. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    The implication being that you HAVE read Lost Stars. Am I reading that right?

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...I dunno if that really sent the message you wanted it to.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Ah close enough :p

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Daria is appropriate for every occasion.

DelRiego and Gorefiend like this.
  5. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    [face_plain]

I don't like you anymore, Coop.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Daria references >>> my actual opinions

7. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Or Anakin & Padme in AoTC

Gorefiend likes this.
  8. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    ok but tbf aotc kind of did suck because of padmé and anakin tho

9. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    You are correct.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm more inclined to think they went with "Romeo & Juliet" in space because of the Shakespeare theme rather than omg yeah those girls are gonna be all over this.

11. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    AOTC and ROTS is more like Romeo and Juliet than any actual romance. Two emotionally adolescent and broken folk drop all pretense at rational thought and do stupid things to be together and %$#% the system, have a secret marriage, get into fights and angsty stuff, their friends all die, and, oh yeah, the girl dies simply because she has no will to live without the guy.

Don't get me wrong - I think R&J is an amazing work of literature. But it doesn't tell the story many people seem to think it tells.

12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Anybody knows what the third thing is? I assume it's the first moon, while the others are Endor/Tana the gas giant and the third moon aka the Sistermoon. SOMEBODY GIVE IT A NAME. :( It needs a cool name. I need it for this.

Also, romance can be written as a subplot and not make the story annoying. One is not automatically a right-winger or whatever for enjoying a bit of it. The problem is how pervasive it is.

And not all works of literature one can draw parallels from are Anglophone. I saw a lot of Dante in the PT, it's only the ending that is different. In that way, Polis Masa is the purgatory and Mustafar is the ninth circle of hell.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree with you other than it being "an amazing work of literature." I've never understood why it's considered as such.

I hope this book doesn't try to emulate any aspect of that play aside from the whole "they really aren't supposed to be together" aspect.

14. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    I recently read it again after well over a decade (closer to 2 decade) of having read it in early high school, and realized the wordplay, sarcasm, and satire is bloody hilarious, biting, and pointed. I literally laughed out loud several times in realization of things I never had understood before were meant to be funny, or even biting. If someone hasn't read this since high school, and you've now had more life experience (and increased vocabulary), I highly recommend revisiting it.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes. Subtext. So much of Shakespeare operates on subtext. The story is just the framing for what's really going on.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jedi Ben and Taalcon like this.
  16. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah but Romeo and Juliet are pubescent children, and Anakin and Padme are grown adults when they start their romance.

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Its not Endor ;) but more likely supposed to be Halmad.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

Which is why I said "Two emotionally adolescent".

A&P are fantastic at their day jobs. They are as emotionally as developed and nuanced as tweens, however. Their dialogue is the kind of stuff I can see tweens posting to their baes on twitter DMs. I think it's an interesting dynamic, story-wise, to have two individuals who are fully functional as politicians and warriors but who are absolutely broken, incoherent and immature when it comes to their emotional personal lives. For this reason, I don't consider Anakin and Padme to have a real romance, either. I do consider their relationship very R&J. An absolute tragedy. There's a reason their love-theme is called "Across The Stars".

DarkEagle, Dante1120, Vthuil and 2 others like this.
  19. TheyMightBeGeeks

TheyMightBeGeeks Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 23, 2015
    I didn't realize until another thread that people still thought the 560 page count was tentative so I tweeted Claudia Gray and she confirmed it: https://twitter.com/claudiagray/status/631204708124860416
    The author of Lost Stars also picked which actors she envisioned for the main characters Ciena Ree and Thane Kyrell. These are the pictures she included.
    "A young Gugu Mbatha Raw is my mental casting for Ciena Ree."
    [​IMG]

"A young Sam Reid is my personal mental image of Thane Kyrell. (Yes, the movie "Belle" played a big part in my envisioning these characters!)"
    [​IMG]

Taalcon and Revanfan1 like this.
  20. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Aristocratic means British, and this is a young readers book, so that's two signs that if there's anything in there, it'll be snogging.

MandaloreRex2015 and DelRiego like this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Juliet was. Wasn't Romeo almost the same age as Anakin though?
    I think TCW gave Padme an ex - Clovis - whom she'd broken it off with.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, let's move the Lost Stars discussion to this thread because... it's the proper thread.

Anyway, I'll just observe that we have another Imperial woman of color.

What's that Rebels? I can't hear you over the sound of your overwhelming lack of diversity. :D

ATimson and DelRiego like this.
  23. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    The fact that a show where nobody in the main cast is a WHM is now considered to have "an overwhelming lack of diversity" really says something about how much better the new canon has been about this sort of thing.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I mean the Rebel Alliance, not Rebels. I love Rebels, and the Ghost crew, who are also not members of the Rebel Alliance. :p

The show's pretty great about diversity, with alien and female villains in addition to the main cast. And if you count all 10,000 Imperials with the same face as one person, then it's even more diverse.

25. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Just saw Belle this past weekend. Great film.