main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to TFA: Lost Stars by Claudia Gray (finally coming to paperback Aug 1!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 8, 2015.

1. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Now we just need an artists depiction of Thane and we'll be all set to start speculating on the cast of Lost Stars the Netflix series ;)

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Sequel will likely be on its way at some point. Gray said they have to wait until the time is right but both parties want to do it.

Jump to about the seventeen minute mark where they talk about it.

3. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015

YEAH! Woot Woot.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I was just looking up things on youtube on my tv and saw that they had the audiobook of Lost Stars posted on there. Started to listen to it but it really started to take me out of it when the narrator pronounced Cienna's name with a long i sound. Maybe that was the way Gray intended for her name to be pronounced but while reading the book I pronounced it like Cee-enna and all the videos I have watched where they brought up her name they pronounced it like Cee-enna as well. How did you guys pronounce her name? Again maybe that was the way Gray intended her name to be pronounced but it was hard for me to think about anything else but how weird her name sounded when I was listening to the audiobook.

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    See-Enna is how I pronounce it for myself ;) but Si-Enna - that could be cool/exotic. ;) A sequel?! Terrific! I feel Gray will be an awesome g-to gal for authoring SW NEU. [face_thinking] Fills in the blanks between movies. :cool:

Thane_Kyrell likes this.
  6. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    See (or Cee)-Enna is also how I pronounce it. Is it more like Sigh-Enna in the audiobook?
    I'd be thrown off by that too, having read the novel. I'd figure "Sigh" would be if her name was spelled Cyenna.

7. Thane_Kyrell

Thane_Kyrell Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2016

I hope they make one. I would love to see this as a series or it's own movie. I am happy with another book.

But until then I wrote my own fan fic. Check it out.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  8. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I started the book pronouncing it "See-Enna" but there is a point in Chapter Five where Nate asks Thane if he's interested in a girl whose name "rhyme with the syllables lie-henna see". Had to make a conscious effort to switch after that, but by the end of the book it had stuck in my mind.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah I ran into that same problem too! It reminded me of the His Dark Materials (aka Gold Compass) series when in the very last book they point out the main character Lyra's name rhymes with Lie-rah (I had a real friend named Lyra but she pronounced it Lee-rah, so I had it wrong the whole time). Or the classic Hermione (Her-mee-own vs Her-my-oh-nee) problem with the Harry Potter books.

Of course we should get these names officiated by Lucas. Cienna will become "Kie-nah", Thane will become "Thah-nay", Jakku will become "Jak-uh". The possibilities are endless.

ATimson likes this.
  10. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Oh so is it probable then that Gray intended her name to be pronounced the way it is said in the audiobook?

11. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I completely forgot about that scene. Thanks Jedi Princess for that scene recap

12. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Not just probable, I'd say it's pretty explicit.

13. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Yeah, whenever you get a name with unusual spelling or is made-up, what the author intends may not be what the reader comes up with. For example, in the YA book City of Ember, the protagonist's first name is "Lina." When I first started reading it, I assumed it was pronounced like "Linda" (but with no "D"). An off-hand comment in the book suggested that the author may have intended it to be "Line-ah." And then the movie based on the book used "Lena" as the pronunciation (which is what I've come to use now).

14. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    At around 10:45 the author pronounces her name as See-enna

Thane_Kyrell and SWpants like this.
  15. Thane_Kyrell

Thane_Kyrell Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2016
    I always thought it as See-enna.

Revanfan1 and WebLurker like this.
  16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Most every video I have seen she is pronounced See-enna as well. Virtually the only places where I have seen her pronounced like Sigh-enna were on the audiobook and (I guess now) when the character in the book says what her name rhymes with.

Possibly Gray originally intended for her name to be pronounced like the way it is in the audiobook but then when she realized how it seemed everyone who read it was pronouncing it she just went with the readers.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    about 20ish pages into Bloodline and caught 2 Lost Stars references already

There's a statue made of Jelucani stone or something that changes in light. Was that in this book? Anyway, it's from their planet. And also the Blue Twi'Lek who flew with Thane pops up as a very old person talking to the N.R. senate.

18. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

No, I don't recall any special stone described in Lost Stars

19. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    No, but it's Jelucani stone. As in a stone from Jelucan, Thane and Ciena's homeworld.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

I understand that. All I meant was that the Lost Stars book never mentioned such rocks, meaning that Claudia Gray invented this piece of Jelucani art for the Bloodlines novel.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    So with it looking now that there will be a sequel to Lost Stars at some point (probably after the Aftermath series is over and maybe one or two books after that that completely fill up the Battle of Jakku timeframe) what do you think the best way to creating a sequel would be. Do you think it would still work to have Thane and Ciena as the main characters or do you think it would work better for them to be background characters and the book will just tie their story up?

The issue with them being the main characters again would be that for the most part their love story has already been told. Now it is just a matter of rather they get back together or will always be at odds with one another. Another book basically revolving around their relationship I'm not sure would work. Not enough story left to tell in regards to the romeo and juliet type of tale.

22. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    If they were just background characters, how would it be a sequel?

23. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Because it would still be letting us know what happens to them after Lost Stars. Maybe background character was a little strong. They just wouldn't be the main characters.

24. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Okay. I'd probably prefer a book where they're the leads, but there'd need to be a different emphasis than the "Romeo and Juliet" stuff, since, as pointed out before, it's been done already in the first book.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

The Star Wars Show episode where they introduced the Ciena art also used Sigh-Enna.

Gray said on Twitter that while it's not her intention, she was willing to go with the majority and just switch to Sienna.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

vstarvan likes this.