main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to TFA: Lost Stars by Claudia Gray (finally coming to paperback Aug 1!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 8, 2015.

1. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Kind of avoided this due to the whole 'young adult' thing. Was afraid I would get some angsty teen nonsense.

however...after reading it I am looking forward to more of Thane and Ciena. Maybe involving the liberation of their homeworld and the nature of honoring an oath to someone/thing that does not deserve it.

Danifae and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  2. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    So I only just finished this, and I am a bit puzzled... exactly what war crimes are they charging Ciena with? Granted, we don't see much of her day to day work; apart from her role as a fighter pilot. But is she burning down civilian villages, unleashing biological warfare, ordering captured Rebels tortured, shooting down unarmed merchant ships? Unless GFFA is a lot more stringent than our world, simply serving in an unpopular military isn't usually in and of itself likely to get you charged with war crimes. Frankly, Thane would be closer to that charge, since he was serving on the Death Star at the time Alderaan was destroyed.

She was commanding a ship at Jakku, but she was up against the NR military, a valid target. I dunno...Seems to me that she has a decent shot of being cleared of all charges, although her life in the Republic is pretty much forever tainted.

I thought Nash was a very tragic person...he had to justify his allegiance to the system that destroyed his homeworld and everything he loved. If the New Republic ever captures him, I hope they have a team of good shrinks.

3. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I would assume that the war crimes trials will be for Imp High Command and those involved with the atrocities like the Wookiee and Bodach'i slavery, the Geonosian extermination and such.

Ciena (and probably a whole lot of Imp personnel) would have their records looked over and be debriefed/interrogated and then released to go back home. In my head I foresee quite a few former Imps enlisting in their Planetary Security Forces.

As for Nash? I see him going Kamikaze if it ever looks like he will be captured. That boy is out where the buses don't run.

4. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Maybe the idea was to use her as an example, if not as a scapegoat, to show that the Rebels are willing to carry out justice (even if she was found innocent, it would still be a good example for them). It's worth noting that Thane was pretty convinced that she would get off, so there may not have been a case against her.

5. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Yes, from what little I can see of Ciena's work, there really isn't much to charge her with. She is unnecessarily gloomy. As to the High Command, yes, they could be charged, if they were caught and if any of them were still alive (Vader did cut quite a swath). Ah, Palpatine's advisors on Coruscant...where did they get to?

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's right after the most brutal battle of the GCW and the Rebels are feeling vengeful. War crime trials seem the norm -- in Legends, they excited Grand Admiral Teshik on a completely sham charge.

Then again, at least one source tells us that as the Empire was losing the battle, they scuttled their Star Destroyers and tractored Mon Cal cruisers down with them. While not a war crime strictly, that's a pretty distasteful move that the Rebels are probably none too happy with. And Ciena is a surviving captain of that battle.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Charlemagne19 and WebLurker like this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given how little we know of Teshik's career, other than that he cut himself off from emotions after his injuries and becoming a cyborg, along with being "probably the least evil of the grand admirals" it's hard to say just how "sham" the charges levelled at Teshik were.

8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Well for those that really liked Lost Stars but havn't been reading the Aftermath series you should probably get the last book in the series at the very least because there is a good chance that Ciena will make an appearance in Empire's End. Wendig gave a ton of NEU references in Life Debt and he will likely do the same for Empire's End (especially given the fact that Ciena's ship is on the front cover of it).

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  9. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    Comparing the new map that puts Jelucan along the Hydian where it has that large curve....and the old map with all the planets, sectors, and hyperlanes.....I am reasonably sure that Jelucan is in the Kwymar sector.

WebLurker likes this.
  10. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

How do we know it's the same ship?

11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Probably a good chance. I doubt we will find out that three or four star destroyers crashed into the surface of Jakku.

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought dozens did (and the SSD Ravager) it's just that the Inflictor was the most intact of those?

13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Maybe. I have been under the assumption that that Star Destroyer in the movie was the only one that crashed on the planet. There were lots of other smaller ships but no other star destroyer.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Rey's AT-AT, Hellhound Two, was deployed from a different ISD, the Interrogator. Makes sense to me that the fleet would include multiple ISDs, and (when defeated) there would still be several ISDs left to scuttle themselves.

When the Falcon flies through the Graveyard of Giants - the Star Destroyer seen looks slightly different from the Inflictor - left dome is more damaged - and the bow is more visible - having been twisted on impact.

Inflictor:
    Other ship:

Chris_Fives likes this.
  15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Oh I was always under the impression that that was meant to be the same ship.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  17. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    avoided this book for a while assuming it would be cliche and corny as hell but now im annoyed at myself for waiting so long absolutely loved the book and characters hopefully we get more of thane and ciena and see how important nash is to the empire/start of the first order.

18. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    bizzbizz
    I was the same...you tell me 'young adult' novel and I start thinking angsty teen nonsense.

I would love to see sequel where Thane and Ciena return home.

Between the cleaning up the planet from the Imperial strip mining, to a new dyanmic betwen the 1st wavers and 2nd wavers, Thane and Ciena possibly joining a planetary defense force and the 1st wavers having a conflict among their people on the nature of honor....keeping your word no matter what as opposed to doing what is right.

19. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    i went in expecting twilight and avoided it like the plague but kept hearing good things so gave it a chance and damn one of my faves of all star wars books legends included

Chris_Fives likes this.
  20. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    This is my favorite SW novel i have read over the year. I think i read it like four times.

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Perhaps folks might consider giving the "young adult" label another look? :)

Heaven forbid if everyone judged the entire adult category by the standards of a couple bad books (there are plenty).

Taalcon and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

I've actually found the many of the "young adult" titles to be more enjoyable than the "adult" ones, as far as the Story Group canon Star Wars books go.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    There's only been one Star Wars young adult title so far (Ahsoka will be the second), but yes, the middle grade books have been thoroughly excellent for the most part.

I was referring to the YA category writ large -- books outside of Star Wars.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The problem with the "young adult" "genre" is that it's really just a marketing thing, which encourages an excess of trend-chasing. By that same token, though, there's nothing inherent to it in terms of quality one way or another, so judging it by individual works is silly.

25. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Umm, weren't Before the Awakening, Weapon of a Jedi, Smuggler's Run, Rey's Survival Guide, the Servants of the Empire series, the TFA junior novelizations, all young adult books? Or is that a different category?

I don't know. Good writing is good writing, regardless of the target audience.