main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to TFA: Smuggler's Run by Greg Rucka (spoilers must be tagged)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Sep 2, 2015.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I guess it was the first SW book she got to work on personally.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

It would be bad if it flopped though.

3. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015

That makes sense. But was this explained in the book? I wouldn't put it past myself to forget such a thing.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

They do say that he looked to be around 40.

5. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015

Ah, you're right! I do remember that. This all makes so much more sense to me now.

6. Jorus C'Baoth 2882

Jorus C'Baoth 2882 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 18, 2015
    I'm not sure if anybody's brought this up yet but:

Why do I get the impression that Beck could likely be Captain Phasma? I mean, seeing as we know Sarco Plank from TFA has already appeared in WOAJ, is it too much of a leap to assume that Beck won't reappear at some point? Perhaps as Captain Phasma, maybe who was horribly injured and brought back as a cyborg?

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    She would be very old but I guess it could work.

Sturm Antilles likes this.
  8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I asked Rucka who is the mysterious admiral to whom Alecia Beck reports in the Nestlé adaptation. And here is his answer:
    So, it's a new character.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    This has been my thought as well, when I read it. I would place it as actually being very likely. You heard it here first, folks!

10. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I've just ordered this one :D

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    This was a fun book to read. 8/10 from me.

12. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    This was a surprisingly fun read and after stuff like Twilight Company, Shatterpoint (**** was that a long one) and Tarkin, it was nice to read an SW book which was a lot smaller and a lot more fast paced. Is the story of the Imperial Agent here expanded anywhere else like the short stories or is it still up in the air?

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    She gets a mention in the post-ROTJ comic Shattered Empire (also by Rucka). Doesn't really give any new info about her, though, but it is a fun mention.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've had this for awhile but finally got around to it today. I liked it - thought it was pretty good. I've read this and the Weapon of a Jedi book so just the Leia one to go now.

15. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    It's arrived. On first impressions, beautiful looking book, love the illustrations.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    I was wondering that, too! My theory is that the artist probably used Yularen's uniform in ANH as a reference.

17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I asked Rucka on Twitter, and he said that her uniform definitely should be black. Looks like this is only artistic license.

18. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Finished it yesterday. This was a terrific little gem of a book. Very well written, Rucka gets the SW galaxy. All the characters I felt were spot on, especially Han and Chewie. I enjoyed the character of Beck too. From the descriptions of guns & ships to little links into the prequels, it felt like a SW book to me. Noto's artwork was top notch again too.

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Wonder if we'll all be going through these "Journey to" books again after 18th December to see if we can spot the TFA clues ;)

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  20. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I think one thing I liked about these books is I felt they absolutely nailed the major characters in this era, better than any of the other material I've seen, namely the comics and HTTJ. Not that those are bad portrayals, but this one rang a little more true for me. And the means of Han and co.'s first escape from the Imperials I found quite fitting.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  21. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    This was my favourite of the three character-based young reader novels. I felt like the characterisation of Han and Chewie were really strong, and I thoroughly enjoyed the way it described the Falcon - which wasn't something I was expecting. Explaining that she is both an incredible ship capable of astounding feats, and that she's fussy, difficult to fly and, well, kind of a hunk of junk at the same time. Delia's bar was a great idea, Beck was a competent villain, but mostly I think the sheer enjoyment of the prose and characterisation carried me through.

In terms of plot, I felt like it hit the sweet spot between the Leia novel (an "important" plot in terms of the franchise, but I didn't enjoy how it was told) and the Luke novel (an "skippable" plot, but I enjoyed it otherwise) - this plot was also fairly skippable in broad terms, but the writing and characterisation carried it through. Considering Han is probably my least favourite of the Big Three, I wouldn't have guessed that spending time with him and Chewie being, well, him and Chewie would win me over, but...it did. Hats off, Greg Rucka.

22. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Anyone think Beck may be a character from Episode VIII that the story group are teasing far, far in advance ;)

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    No, but I think Ematt is.

Cheerios4u98 likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I really need to get going on this one.

25. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010