main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to TFA: Weapon of a Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Sep 2, 2015.

1. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    I can't recall a time when Luke had his lightsaber out against Fett in ESB.

And I've seen that movie, like, dozens of times.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Yep, he has his Blaster out during that, plus Boba is not aiming at him, but at the wall next to him.

3. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Yikes, no need for the "Mr." Just call me Jason. Or anything except late for dinner.

Good question, but I see them as different situations, with a couple of reasons Luke wouldn't ignite his saber. For one thing, it's easier to just duck than to block a bolt, which is an option available to Luke on Cloud City but not on Devaron. But more than that he's not sure what he's getting into on Cloud City. He's trying to figure out where his friends are and what his options are, and a lit saber would be a big blue advertisement of his presence and draw all sorts of attention he doesn't want yet.

4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    And to think I've kept calling you "Mr. Fry" for over three years here, on Facebook, on Twitter, and in my emails! You should have told me. :p

Revanfan1 and jasonfry like this.
  5. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I enjoyed this one quite a lot. All three were very good, really, not something I expected in a YR series, but then I don't pick them up very often. All three were quick reads and still rich looks at our beloved characters in one of the most pivotal moments of their lives. I hadn't originally planned to read them but I'm glad I did.

The only thing I really had a problem with was when the art spoiled what was to come, though I'm guessing for kids it will intrigue them and make them want to keep reading rather than feeling cheated in any way. Plus, it makes it easier to imagine the characters. :D

Also, I loved that at least two of the books set up potential future stories with characters we'd met in them. Looking forward to those if choose to go ahead with them sometime down the road.

Gorefiend likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If you enjoyed these MG novels, you might want to check out Servants of the Empire, also by Jason "Don't call me Mr." Fry.

But no it's funny, given the record with high quality MG novels so far, nothing gets my attention quicker than a new SW kids' book. And it's not even a fluke -- Fry, Castelucci, Rucka, Bracken, Angleburger: they've all put out wonderful MG books. I'm so glad that Disney-Lucasfilm Press has been consistently putting out such great offerings.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Force Smuggler and Gorefiend like this.
  7. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Will do. Thanks, Jello!

8. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I liked this novel. It wasn't my favourite of the three, but it was solid and enjoyable. It would have been easy for Sarco Plank to come across as a crummy Vader clone, but instead the similarities - the menace, the vaguely mechanical nature, worked to good effect. I also thought the book did a good job of keeping us guessing as to his motivations and whether he was a victim of the superstitions we already knew the townspeople held. It kept a sense of foreboding to their journey together that was appropriate for a novel delving into the nature of both sides of the Force. I also enjoyed Luke's learning curve and training. I found the setting to be interesting - sad and evocative. Both the Jedi ruins and the Empire's corrosive effect on Devaronian society until hunting their own sacred animals is more banal than blasphemy.

I did feel that the final confrontation, when Luke is unable to rely on his eyes, was a little drawn out. He'd been practicing against the remotes blindfolded so much that even though that is very different to losing your vision under assault and in a combat situation, I kept waiting for the moment he's click with the Force and defeat Sarco blindfolded. I think that meant I didn't appreciate the otherwise very cool moment that the animals came to his rescue as much as I should have. Just...something about the pacing of the scene - it didn't work as a swerve against expectations quite as well as it could/should have.

Ultimately, I think the book struggles against what nearly all OT-era novels struggle against - the inability to add anything of real significance to the canon. It feels fairly skippable, and not really like part of the journey to The Force Awakens. But that's not a failing of this book, and within those external constraints, this does a pretty good job. Even if I do wish Luke would stop trying to solve all his problems by declaring cost is no object. Bless you Rebellion accountants, you will have a shock when he gets back. ;)

9. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I for one can't wait to (Speculation follows) spot Sarco in the background of a shot on Jakkuu for a brief second in TFA after seeing him in this novel :p

Cheerios4u98 likes this.
  10. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Can this be read without having read HTTJ?

11. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015

Yes it can! Honestly I wouldn't even recommend reading HTTJ. Weapon of a Jedi did everything right that I felt HTTJ did wrong. But, if you're like me, you'll read everything anyway. Haha.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Definitely - jump straight in.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  13. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Just finished this one. Definitely my favorite thing I've read from the New EU so far! Felt it nailed Luke's character. Getting the character right is the biggest problem I have with Star Wars books. If it doesn't portray them right, I lose interest.

Great read all around in my opinion.

jasonfry likes this.
  14. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    I finished it today and liked it, I'm not sure I liked it as much as Smuggler's Run but in some ways it's like comparing apples and oranges. Luke's story was more of an in-depth character study of his journey to connect to the Force. It was good in that regard and showed Luke as he should be shown, which I agree is VERY important. The stuff with Threepio and Artoo was very enjoyable too as they add so much to any story they're in. I have one of the short JTTFA books left, but I can say so far so good!

So I'm going to assume also the inclusion of Jessika Pava was the TFA connection as well?

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wish he had bit more of a role instead of just a cameo.

16. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Just posted this in thee Jason Fry thread, but this is the more appropriate place to put this, I really liked this book and felt it added a lot to Luke. Seeing as how HTTJ is in the same timeframe is this a good book to read in lieu of it?

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    As I think I said somewhere else, I never expected any of these guys to be more than the Snaggleteeth and Yak Faces of the next generation.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    You probably did. :p
    Still a bit disappointed.
    Would have been nice to have him to talk to Rey and Finn about Luke and that he senses something great will come from them. Or something.
    Doesn't have to be big but give us something!

Only seen the movie once, but don't remember seeing him!

19. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Where was Sarco in TFA, I've seen it twice and I never even caught a glimpse?

20. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    I've seen TFA three times and I have no idea where Sarco is either! I've never seen him. And I was specifically looking for him on my third viewing.

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    He's on Jakku as a blink-and-miss background extra. I'd have to see the film again to point out specifically when, but he is there, which at least puts him one up on poor Constable Zuvio.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Coming soon - Star Wars: Where's Sarco?

For ages 7-10, RRP $24.99.

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Looks like this is getting an adaptation marked toward a younger audience (as it includes stickers).

"[Disney Press] also present an entire slide showcasing Luke and Lost Jedi Temple, which is written by Jason Fry and apparently adapted from an earlier book that he wrote."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LelalMekha, spicer, Vthuil and 2 others like this.
  24. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    After seeing that artwork of the Devaronian girl, I'm convinced now more than ever that she is Luke's future wife and mother of Rey!

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Except Rey is described as a human everywhere. She clearly is no hybrid.