main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Journey to The Force Awakens: Twenty new books upcoming this fall

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bigtukker, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    So, I'm curious, what are you guys most excited for out this whole project? For me, it's got to be the Fry book, Aftermath, and Shattered Empire.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Definitely the sticker books.

3. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    The 3P0 comic.

4. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014
    Aftermath and Shattered Empire, though I can't decide if I should wait until after TFA to read them or just dig into them as soon as I can[face_dunno]I know they won't spoil the story of TFA, but I want to enter the new era for the first time on the big screen.

5. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Aftermath, so I can start the process of retconning the old EU to fit. ;)

quinlan solo and CaptainPeabody like this.
  6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Page one: Han finds out the carbonite made him sterile.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    , but during a particularly dry patch of smuggling, Han had frozen some of his sperm to take to sell to a donor. As serendipity would have it, or perhaps more mystical, another job had intervened and so it was still frozen aboard the Falcon, resulting in a particularly awkward conversation when he was unfroze and Lando asked him what the freezer marked 'never ever open' was about that had been added to the ship since Han had taken over.

(I had initially wrote 'and so Han and Leia asked Wedge to help out when the time arose.' And then remembered that Jag is Wedge's nephew and horror ensued.)

So... Thanks for that Cooper :p

Who bets Leia is pregnant by the end of Aftermath?

Sent from the World

cdgodin, WMIRTUTSF, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Well then. That is quite some theory.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

And he adopts a kid named Kylo...

Aftermath of course, first post-Endor new canon novel. Who wouldn't want to grab that? :-B

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    My idea would have been a simple cloning. Like, do you even retcon Coop?

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Only that one time.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Cloning is so overdone by Star Wars that it's horrendous.

Sent from the World

13. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Dystopian author Pierce Brown was at Celebration making a video for the Del Rey panel, which has led to some speculation that he may be writing a SW book.

He made some comments on facebook that really don't say anything more than that he felt lucky to make the video for Del Rey, so this article does seem like speculation based on nothing, but hey, thought it was worth sharing.

Barriss_Coffee, Revanfan1 and Aphra like this.
  14. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    Whoah, whoah, whoah. Pierce Brown? Um, I'm okay with this. This is a rumor I can get behind.

15. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    So is there any possibility of getting other Journey to The Force Awakens adult novels in addition to Aftermath? Or is that going to be it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014
    Well, technically the two other parts of the trilogy which starts with Aftermath is a part of JtTFA, but I don't think they will have the banner. Other than that it doesn't seem likely since we already know the rest of the adult novel coming out this year and in January (Battlefront and TFA novelization), it wouldn't make sense to publish more books as JtTFA after the movie is out.

17. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
  18. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I hope the screenplay is in it, old school style.

19. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I bet its not. Especially since the novelization is getting the digital release day and date. I don't think they want something with the full story set out hanging out in print touching many different hands before they feel they really need to.

20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Amazon release dates are best taken with a healthy dose of skepticism. Still looking forward to the book.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

No inside info here, but I suspect you're right. In publishing the biggest source of leaks by far is printing plants, because you have so many more people involved and so much less control. My suspicion is print stuff with the full story will appear at the answer to the equation "Day and date + time to print and distribute to stores = X."

Gorefiend and Taalcon like this.
  22. iucounu

iucounu Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014

That's what I'd have my money on. I could imagine the ebook version going live day & date with the film, but not the print version.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Preview for the Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farmboy: http://books.disney.com/content/uploads/2015/05/ANewHope.pdf

Bracken is hitting it out of the park. Leia's characterization is perfect -- her responses to her aunts' etiquette lessons, the way the media is treating her senatorial career, etc. Her reaction to her father calling her a star is great. There's the passion we all know she has.

I don't know what's going on, but the NEU's YA novels are like ridiculously good. I'm even more excited for the other YA books now.

Some of the language and situations Leia thinks of are pretty modern, but I think that's excellent. The goal of these YA books are to get kids up to speed with the OT, and this is a good way to do it. Additionally, the modern stuff (like Leia getting asked about her fashion choices by journalists) fits the setting perfectly just as some of the OT-era Nixonian/Vietnam stuff did.

Great lore and continuity too -- Leia's aunts, her first meeting with the Emperor and her reaction to it, her father's position as the queen's consort, and her first awakening to the Empire's evil. It heavily reminds me of The Princess Leia Diaries from Tales, and I have gotta imagine that Bracken repurposed some of that. It's very well done.

And this passage just slays me:

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Which makes me wonder - what "modern stuff" in the EU tends to be hated and thought of as "not fitting the setting" - and what not?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    LOTF's "war on terror" parallels were pretty hamfisted.

Some people tend to hate it when the Holonet is too direct an analogy to the internet. I'm not one of them, though.

Iron_lord likes this.