main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Journey to The Force Awakens: Twenty new books upcoming this fall

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bigtukker, Mar 10, 2015.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Despite my Mon Calamari cruiser preference, I'm a Fleet Junkie first & foremost. And I actually do like Star Destroyers too. The ImpStar and NebStar in particular. This ship, unfortunately, is non-descript, unimaginative, and boring.

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Ben and Abadacus like this.
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Maybe it will be red. JJ was flipping through some comics one day and got inspired. Even though Pablo/Leland et al tried to convince him that was a particularly bad source of inspiration.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Someone remind when Shattered Empire stats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    9/9

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    If I had to think of a problem with it, it's that the engine layout is essentially identical to that of the Impstar. They just added a couple smaller engines to the sides. Big whoop. And the bridge tower is asymmetrical. But the profile is pretty good; it has some of the vibe of all the other Imperial starships we've seen be turned into digital models, some of which appeared in the Essential Guide to Warfare.

Why does it look so close to the Impstar, in-universe? We know the OOU explanation is apparently that they were very conservative in extrapolating new starship designs, that they played it safe, so to speak. The TIE fighter is the same way. But IN-universe? Perhaps they went all ST:TMP with it, and these were older Impstars that the First Order decided to uparmor and refit for new use; you'd think there were plenty around to be used.

And it's not like there's no precedent at all; in the EU, the Pentastar Alignment did pretty much the same thing; so did Zsinj. Even Daala refit her TIE fighters when she commanded Maw Installation, if only to give the people who read and played out of the Jedi Academy Sourcebook something a little different to fly/play with. All of that's non-canon, of course, but again, it's evidence that this isn't something COMPLETELY new to Star Wars.

The2ndQuest and Iron_lord like this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's pretty ugly, which is interesting since FO stuff is otherwise pretty slick looking. I'd be curious how they got military-grade engines from KDY without anybody noticing.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Maybe it's a late Imperial era ship that had been decommissioned. "Finalizer" would be a funny name if it was literally the last SD that they made.

Vthuil, The2ndQuest and Revanfan1 like this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    If that line happens in the film; 'This is the last Star Destroyer we have to destroy and then we'll have accounted for them all' I will make you personally accountable, Coop

Jedi Ben, Revanfan1 and CooperTFN like this.
  9. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I think it looks great but the asymmetrical bridge is going to make me squirm for the rest of my life.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Just gonna leave this here.

[​IMG]

Jedi Ben and Hamawald like this.
  11. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    Is it just me or is this... kinda terrible? Things just seem to be labeled randomly, with none of the "function follows form" that fascinated me for hours in the original books.
    The "Ion Cannon Targeting" seems to be in the same place as the (multiple) "Turbolaser Cannon" (unexpectedly historical artillery terminology, or just poor editing?), "Communications" is just vaguely pointing at the bridge - although I guess that's roughly where both the Comm Center and Comm Array would be, so... eh.
    Does it have the usual broadside turrets? Maybe, I don't know.
    Where are the Ion Cannons? Somewhere.
    What's the pokey thing that seems to be in different locations depending on the perspective? It's just a thing, apparently.
    Color me unenthused. Is there anything in the book we haven't seen already?

12. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be a simple little kid's book.

And the new Star Destroyer looks fine.

Sheesh.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And as I've said elsewhere, the Falcon is supposed to be weird. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Who says no one noticed? I don't get the impression that the First Order is an unknown quantity.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    One of the EW articles said they're looking forward to unleashing their forces on an unsuspecting Galaxy, so that's what I'm going off of.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    don't post spoilers in this thread

17. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    don't quote spoilers

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I do wonder how they take down the SSD at Jakku.

CooperTFN likes this.
  19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Apparently that's going to be in the upcoming Battlefront game.
    True enough. Judging by the existence of a Resistance, though, it may be possible that the galaxy just isn't expecting them to "unleash their forces."

20. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    I'm wondering if they're, to the general galaxy, known as a small government, when really they've been quietly consolidating power (with the help of Snoke and the Knights of Ren?) and they're ready to take the galaxy back and put it under Imperial (or a facsimile of) rule.

Battlefront refers to the Battle of Jakku as a decisive fight between the New Republic and Empire, so I'm hoping that the NR is the established government, and the Resistance is their forces in the First Order-aligned systems.

21. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    SO basically, what if there's like a milquetoast joint New Republic Empire, and both the Resistance and First Order don't think it goes far enough in either direction?

Kylun, Cynical_Ben and CooperTFN like this.
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Victory-class ships had a certain asymmetry as well.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, looks like we're going to have a couple of bans today.

SPOILER POLICY PEOPLE.It's for serious. Don't ****ing quote leaks dammit. This is not that hard. There's one spoiler thread, and you put it in there inside a spoiler tag. Nowhere else, no exceptions

ChrisLyne, Jedi Ben and Sinrebirth like this.
  24. TheyMightBeGeeks

TheyMightBeGeeks Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 23, 2015
    Exactly why I'm not even covering it on my site. This isn't Incredible Cross-Sections caliber material (which will come on Dec. 18). This is a book aimed at kids aged 6-9 (grade level 1-2 according to Amazon), it's not even middle grade like the Rebels chapter books.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Though this circles back around to our earlier discussion, I'm wondering if the current terminology distinction between Young Reader, Middle Grade & Young Adult books should be retroactively applied to legends content like YJK, JJK, JA, etc even though no middle grade term was used or true YA content produced.