main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to the Last Jedi: Phasma

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Saw in today's Times (UK) Saturday Review section that Phasma is at #9 on the hardback fiction bestseller list.

2. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Just finished. The ending was exciting as hell. Really glad I wasn't spoiled.

Onto the Gray Leia book!

Sent from Moto X-Wing

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    How long before the force awakens does this book take place

4. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    The exact timing of the novel is unclear, but it feels like it can't be too long before TFA.

5. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    From what I understand, when Cardinal begins his interogation, its one year before TFA starts. The book then also jumps back 12 and 10 years to the past.

6. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Huh I still think Frey might be Rey, just not so sure Phasma would murder a child rather than dump her on Jakku?

7. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    With spoilers

8. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm having a really hard time getting into this book. It doesn't really feel like Star Wars at all. Does it pick up later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think the book compares better as a hybrid story;
    Phasma and her people live in a far more barbaric Mad Max-like world and the bulk of the flashback with her only slowly starts to become more and more familiar. Really, the creepy thing is watching how quickly she attempts to divest herself of her old culture and heritage and absorb the First Order's.

Also, pretty much everything aboard the Absolution is pure Imperial POV Star Wars.

10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I kind of doubt that they'd put such a key detail about Rey's past into a book that most people who see the movies won't even read, before said movie comes out. Also Phasma and Rey share precisely zero interactions whatsoever in TFA, and there's been little indication that that changes much in TLJ. So I'd be kind of a letdown "reveal" honestly.

11. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    So
    nuclear weapons
    are back in canon, could canonize some elements of Darth Maul:Lockdown and some of the EU material covering such WMD.

12. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Overall would you recommend this as required reading before TLJ? I still haven't gotten Thrawn or The Last Princess of Alderaan so that being said would those take precedence as far as quality?

13. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    I definetly would. You get a much better insight into Phasma and First Order along with Hux. I personally found Phasma's story really unexpected and surprising, in positive way. I definetly think that my first viewing of TLJ will be better for it :)

SensationalSean likes this.
  14. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

I enjoyed Thrawn about the same amount as Phasma, but I'd prioritize the latter ahead of TLJ. But read Thrawn for Rebels! I've just started the Leia novel and it's great so far, but I imagine Phasma will still have a greater impact on the movie experience.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I wouldn't necessarily say that (to be as vague and as non-spoiler as possible.

If your priority is to read something with ramifications for TLJ, both Phasma and Leia:pOA appear (since we haven't seen the film) to have a lot more movie connections than some of the Journey to TFA books did.

So I'd say instead, the answer depends on whether you're interested in First Order movie connections (read Phasma first) or Resistance movie connections (read LPOA first).

Also in general if you're more interested in learning more about Phasma or Leia as people, pick their eponymous book accordingly.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Went into this with zero expectations but ended up enjoying it, particularly the ending and insights into the inner workings of the First Order. On the one hand I like the way we sort of see Phasma through the eyes of other people and get very little of her point of view or ideas as this preserves a bit of the mysterious villain aspect, at the same time I can't help but wish we had a bit more given the book was focused on her. Hopefully they'll give Dawson another SW book in future as this was very good.

Didn't expect Cardinal to survive, or Vi actually. I wonder if he'll join the Resistance, would be interesting to see him get a cameo later on in something else as he's an interesting if extremely damaged person. In a way it would be interesting to see his perspective on the Resistance as a First Order defector whose whole world view has been shattered so utterly.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    After Inferno Squad, I went into this expecting more of the same and was pleasantly surprised by the difference.

The narrative techniques used in this book aren't new but I'd agree that they feel new to Star Wars.

The little bits and pieces we get of the First Order and how it operates works very effectively as a skewed real life mirror - particularly how the FO seeks to keep its followers in an emotional mindset. Rationality? Thought is only good when it goes in the right direction and the right direction is what your FO superior says it is.

Brendol Hux - How much total bastardry did this piece o' crap inflict upon the galaxy? The thing is a walking plague.

The smartest move it makes is it doesn't give us Phasma's viewpoint, instead we see how others respond to her. Not a new trick but a very good fit to Phasma's character.

I particularly like the conflict it sets up between her and Cardinal, over who is truly for the First Order and then develops it so much further. It'd be interesting to get a sequel to see what happened to some of the characters afterwards.

I also suspect my viewing of TFA and perception of Phasma will be quite different from the general view to date due to this book.

Brendol's death at the hands of both his son and Phasma, along with Phasma's killing her entire family, certainly puts Armitage Hix and Phasma in good company with Kylo Ren. I wonder, did Ren feel so slighted by their, what he would see as achievements, that he felt he had to match them? Thus killing Han. Sounds bonkers, but as these are bonkers people it'd kind of fit.

Interesting too to hear Sloane was active for a good while in the FO too.

All in all, pretty good.

18. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Nice, little review. Are we sure Sloane's out of the picture by TFA?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, let's see:

This book gives the very clear picture that the FO senior hierarchy tends to operate on Highlander principles - there can only be one, thus the Cardinal - Phasma conflict.

The way they seem to get around it is by carving out specific, inviolate spheres of influence / activity thus:

Hux - Military
    Phasma - Stormtroopers
    Ren - Force stuff

On that basis it is possible that Snoke and Sloane could have reached an accommodation - Sloane is the ultimate fleet authority, Snoke on matters Force-related and political.

Alternatively, if she decided to take Snoke on, that doesn't bode well for her, as Snoke appears to have the greater backing.

Ultimately, it's still up in the air and will be probably be resolved in another story yet to be told.

20. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Lol...Highlander mentality. But don't we already have Sloane co-existing with Snoke and Hux?

Although it would be interesting to see how she would come to "bend the knee" to Snoke. (My phone keeps wanting me to spell Smoke...Supreme Leader Smoke...hmm...very Wizard of Oz.)

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Pay no attention to the Gungan behind the curtain!

Stymi likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, I think it's more inclined towards there being a deal of some kind in place.

One that probably got altered at some point.

Stymi likes this.
  23. Zdarlight

Zdarlight Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2016
    Gotta admit, this is my favourite bit of new-canon backstory I've read so far. This may be because I've developed a bit of a soft-spot for Phasma so I'm particularly interested in her background, but I'd still rate it as the most readable and engaging book released since TFA. It kept me hooked and interested and it was a real struggle to read it slowly and savour it until I finally finished it yesterday!

Some stuff in detail..

I actually loved the whole Mad Max vibe. It's been overdone but it's quite new in our current Star Wars universe, the concept of abandoned tribes living out in the middle of nowhere, detached from civilization and means of survival (even just by a sea), everything very post-apocalyptic. We've had Jakku and Tattooine, which are in the back of beyond and a hard place to live but at least civilized, so Parnassos was a totally new frontier, and a nice departure from the super-high-tech reality of a lot of other places in the galaxy.

I think Phasma's background fitted really well with the high-ranking military character we now know, with her willingness to sacrifice literally everything to get to her goal. She's super ruthless and I love it. Some of her decisions, such as the one to sacrifice Siv and leave her behind alone because she'd refused to obey an order, made me SEETHE and hate her, but it all sets her up as a great military commander.

I'm a bit afraid of her now actually. She is so manipulative, and the knowledge that she bonded with Brendol, used him to get herself off the planet, and then eventually killed him - someone of such high status - to erase the last trace of her background is terrifying. Capt. Cardinal, bless him, is so much more loyal to the First Order than she is, and he finds himself shut out and nearly killed. So yeah, Phasma + Armitage Hux is a combination I'd be very wary of. But all the same, I'd expect her to turn on him in a heartbeat, and being the utter weed that he is, I expect he's afraid of her, knowing what she did to his father. He'll be very keen to keep her on his side.

One thing I'd love to know more about is the dynamic between Phasma and Kylo Ren. I reckon they'd get on with that whole sacrifice-everything vibe, and he's probably the only person of power in that outfit (except from Snoke obvs) that she'd be unable to overpower or kill.

And a bunch of asides:
    - Wasn't so keen on the post-nuclear-weapon vibe. Unimaginative, though it did make it a bit more real and relateable.
    - As soon as I read the name 'Torbin' I saw Tormund from Game Of Thrones and by god I could not get that out my head. Ginger beard, mates.
    - I loved the concept of Arratu Station, the way an isolated group of beings with a few resources could form such a weird civilization just given a few years alone (though it was a bit mad-max-ish again..)
    - I was surprised how much it humanized the First Order, reinforcing the idea that it was just a pseudo-political movement that wants to restore order to the galaxy, as well as showing so much of the daily life of the young recruits, the way Cardinal cared about them and such.
    - Unfortunately I've been permanently scarred by both the concept of General Hux (Armitage) wearing a 'robe', 'draping' and 'lounging', and the concept of him speaking nicely to a child. Glad for the extra facets to the character though... O.O

Anyway, having had an entire, unexpectedly long novel, on one of my favourite new characters from TFA, I've got to admit it made me feel a bit soppy about how even the most minor characters in the Star Wars universe get their whole backstories told. Also made me feel squishy about the fact that one day we'll know everything about Finn, Rey, Ren, etc. Bloody great, innit? More backstory, more of this sort of thing please.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Just started reading this after Thrawn. This is. Different. Sort of John Carter/The Road/Mad Max.

Also... something tells me this is going to end like Shadows of Mindor ("version of the truth").

I'm not sure if I like it yet. It's... sort of depressing in a predictable way. I don't hate it, and I'm holding out for a plot twist. But so far it's got essences of that The Road movie and I'm hoping that's not what this is going to be... I really hated that one. It's doing a good job of developing Phasma, at least.

25. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Someone on reddit made the observation that this book is like a nuCanon version of Crimson Empire.

I thought that was pretty apt as far as general summations go.

kalzeth likes this.