main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to the Last Jedi: Phasma

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

I know! But it is so worth it! [face_devil]

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

That's how I feel too. There was so much hype about her before TFA and we had like an entire minute total with her.

Dawson's a good author (I say only having read The Perfect Weapon) so I do have hopes overall about this :)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll give these stories a chance, but if they don't do much with her in TLJ, then ugh.

Make the hype worth it!

SWpants likes this.
  4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    YESSSSS! [face_dancing]

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    On the one hand, god there's just no creativity with any names in SW nowadays- almost every novel and comic series is "CHARACTER NAME". But on the bright side, I imagine this will cover her origin à la Tarkin and Thrawn. Speaking of which it's kinda loltastic that almost half of the NuCanon Del Rey books are about villains.

6. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Todd the Jedi a reason for that is, well, simplicity helps a lot. Technically the name of this book is:

Star Wars: Journey to the Last Jedi: Phasma. Or, Journey to the Last Jedi: Star Wars: Phasma (def more the former than the latter, but sometimes retail sites and online databases list things weirdly)

Those are LONG titles before you even get to just "Phasma". Even if we remove that, but added some other modifier or subtitle, it becomes ridiculous and well, that's also way too much text for a cover that already has a lot going on. You wouldn't even be able to see her helmet!

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Easy, use slightly smaller font. ;)

No really though I agree in cases of colon cancer brevity is warranted. But I miss the days of titles being more than one word, as well as varied and unique titles. Sure there's a few now (Heir to the Jedi and A New Dawn being good examples), and while I'm all for these "bio books" where the point is to draw attention to a specific character, it's like they should at least have something that pops. Just using the subject's name works with books like Twilight Company and Inferno Squad because those are a bit more dynamic and sound kickass as well, and while I get that calling a book Tarkin makes it 100% clear who the book's about, imagine just a little addition as Tarkin's Spike or something (I know, I'm one to talk, I can't name books either :p ).

SilentGuy66 and LelalMekha like this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I just want to hear about the Emperor's yacht armor.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    So what?

Comic= Escape from the trash compactor?
    Novel= Origin behind character?

10. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    pretty much LOL.

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Really hope this covers the events immediately following Empire's End in the Unknown Regions.

Sinrebirth and Rax like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, it would be quite the pick-up for the tall girl among Rex's kiddie killers to be Phasma.....

Revanfan1 and Pfluegermeister like this.
  13. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    You won't hear me complaining.

14. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Comics suffer the same problem, would it have been too much trouble to give Phasma's marvel comic (Or pretty much any characters comic) a subtitle

Star Wars Phasma: The Escape

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  15. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    So this just dropped at the Del Rey panel that I'm sitting in on: this book does cover some of Plasma's backstory. Not sure what or when still to early for that, but there you go.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

16. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Hopefully tie into Empires end which hints at phasma

Darkslayer likes this.
  17. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Consider me shocked that a book titled "Phasma" covers the backstory of Captain Phasma :p

18. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Maybe Phasma was at Endor as a regular stormtrooper especially considering that battlefront II's campaign will center on an imperial who was at Endor and still around at Starkiller base?

19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I doubt it. Gwendoline Christie isn't old enough to fit that.

20. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2017/04/new-leia-book-announced-phasma-details.html

21. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    I'm so pumped for this one. Phasma's mystery does kind of fascinate me and I'm really into exploring the woman underneath the armor! It'll be interesting to see how her loyalties will differ from the imperials we met....she's also going to be our first good glimpse into the First Order and maybe even Snoke? Or the weird force sensitive who just showed up one day and had a high ranking who might be Ben Solo? Ahhh there's so much this novel can do!

Now if we could just get Gwen to do the audio book...:p

22. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    Have to be honest, the TFA Phasma was so underwhelming for me, anything this book contains just has to make her more interesting by default...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

revan772 and Ewan Tibbetts like this.
  23. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    She was on Endor, you just have to look... deeper

Gwendoline Christie age as of TFA filming: 36/37
    TFA: 34 ABY
    Cindel Towani age as of 34 ABY: 36/37

Phasma = Cindel Towani confirmed.

This book will actually be the long awaited Caravan of Courage + Battle for Endor novelization!

24. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Even without TLJ Phasma's rep is only going to improve. Especially when we inevitably get to play as her during Battlefront II's single player campaign.

25. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    I read this thread title as saying "Journey to the Last Jedi, who is Phasma."