main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to the Last Jedi: Phasma

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I don't know about being a Jedi, but I'm sure Gwen Christie could do a pretty sweet Sith Lady laugh.

2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Man, with a laugh like that I wish Phasma was less of a stoic professional and more someone have a lot of fun using a flamethrower on the village in the opening.

BobaMatt and SensationalSean like this.
  3. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I'm wildly excited about this one. Phasma's character design blew me away when we first glimpsed her in one of the TFA trailers and Christie being cast made me confident that she'd be a big deal ... eventually.

4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Ya this is probably my most anticipated SW book right now, since we'll probably see the continued formation of the First Order.

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Have added this one to my pre-orders on Kindle. I saw Delilah S. Dawson on two occasions during the convention, once giving a writer's workshop on punching up first chapters, and again during the books panel where Phasma was announced. She knows her stuff. Her go-to inspiration for violent scenes is one Matthew Stover with his Heroes Die book, so I think we're in for a treat.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

6. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    More Shatterpoint-esque sequences?

7. SensationalSean

Dec 19, 2014

I noticed yesterday that Dawson had an unfortunate encounter the day after the convention and detailed the whole thing on Twitter (kudos to her for speaking about it). Horrible situation.

8. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Geez. That is absolutely terrible and frightening.
    I've had guys creepily stare over my shoulder while I was reading. I don't get it.

And why did it take the police ten minutes to get to her?!?!

Is it weird though that, when going through the thread, I saw replies from other SW authors, which made me happy?

9. SensationalSean

Dec 19, 2014
    Nah, it's cool that the SW writers stick together. And many of them had spent the weekend with her at Celebration!

10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I expected the horrible experience to be some fan being a d*** but no getting sexually harassed is much worse

Wouldn't it be great if men could act like this in those situations

11. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017

Not weird at all. The Star Wars author family is exactly that, a family, even among "new" authors. It's a really close knit community of creators who all work closely together, root for each other etc. There's a reason every time we announce a new book, many of the first people to comment or amplify the announcement are the other authors.

12. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Great to hear you guys have a good workplace environment. In my experience it makes any job 10 times better.

13. Counter

Counter Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 3, 2017

The police can't be everywhere all the time. A 10 minute response time is honestly pretty good--especially considering that this happened on MARTA, a mass transit system that has large federal dollars flowing into it from the Department of Transportation with its own special "transit police" forces. Because of that, there are federal bureaucratic hurdles that prevent local law enforcement (in this instance Atlanta police) from having primary discretion and jurisdiction for intervening without first contacting MARTA police and getting sign off.

A stupid reality and one that should be remedied. Saw it all the time for the seven years I lived and worked in Washington D.C. when it came to incidents on the D.C. Metro.

Regardless, Delilah did what she needed to do. Evade, attempt to get others to help, stall, and put herself in the best position to survive. It's encounters like this (which have happened to both a family member and close friends of mine) that make me grateful I finally live in a state where I can make good use of an open-carry permit.

SWpants likes this.
  14. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I'm sorry, I'm just not excited for this book. Phasma is boring. I read Scorched which is a short story by Delilah Dawson. It was alright but wasn't long enough to gauge Dawson as a writer. Ironically, I'm more excited for Battlefront II: Inferno Squad, but its written by Christie Golden, so it will probably suck :(

15. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Christie Golden can write fine, I can attest from her WOW novels, but I think the behind the scenes chaos during FOTJ as well as the polishing Ewok dung prevented her from showing off her chops.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I can't wait to read this! In paperback in mid 2018! (I got a huge stack of SW novels to work thorough so most of the recent SW releases going to skip the hardcover). If I had to guess, it might hit paperback when Last Jedi hits Blu Ray so April-ish sound right?

17. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    How could any of us know that?

18. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Seriously? You had to inject a political viewpoint into a discussion about Captain Phasma?

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There are two things we are NOT doing in this thread.

I. Being rude and disrespectful -- either to other users, or to authors. Saying "this book is going to suck because it's by X" is not a constructive post.

II. We are not discussing politics, either as a matter of first instance because it's off-topic and we're definitely not using someone's trying personal experiences as an excuse to offer one's political views. Nor are we characterizing viewpoints we disagree with as moral or immoral.

So let's stop both of these kinds of posts, immediately. Thanks.

Jabba the Hud likes this.
  20. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    That would be amazing! And, you know...I think this is a possibility.

Ashley did the Ahsoka audiobook. I know Gwen is a more established and perhaps busier actor. But she also seems really invested in the role and what it represents.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, decided to place this on the hit list too, along with Inferno Squad.

But that's kinda weird, right? I mean, not having seen TFA and all. Well, yeah, but on that rationale I should never have bought, nor read and enjoyed, Bloodline.

So, my current thinking is this could well follow the same route.

That and so far none of the books have been anything other than excellent to very good, though I have steered clear of Dark Disciple.

spicer likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, technically, there wouldn't be TFA spoilers in this book because, as it seems, the Phasma Marvel comic is TFA to TLJ (ye Gods, the whole thing is based upon TFA spoilers there) while, as is the assumption, this is Phasma: Origins novel.

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Must be quite the thanksgiving family table then lol. I can just imagine it now. G1 authors like Tim Zahn, Alan Dean Foster sitting with new timers like Claudia Grey. That needs to be a thing :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    As I've said elsewhere, Dawson did absolute wonders for a one-line character through a short story*. Now she gets a full novel to develop a cooler but still largely mysterious character. I think the signs portend well.

*I think we said back then that Perfect Weapon was longer than a short but shorter than a novella, and was technically a novelette? I forget.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

25. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I love how people are saying that Phasma doesn't deserve a book, how she should be portrayed as a doofus, that she's incompetent, etc. She did what Finn and Han demanded when faced by blaster-point and an angry Wookiee, and otherwise ordered a village to be executed, had Finn's weapon checked, and reported Finn's record to Hux and Kylo. That's all she did through the whole movie. That's nothing to base any sort of assumptions on, especially ones of incompetence. She ordered to Finn submit his weapon for inspection because she assumed it had malfunctioned; like Hux, she assumed that he was loyal. We didn't see enough of her to even get a handle on her personality aside from cold professionalism, let alone anything else.