main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Journey to The Last Jedi - Phasma

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheNewEmpire, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I just found out that their is a Phasma book due out next month.
    It's listed as the official prequel to The Last Jedi. However from the book's description is sounds like nothing more than a Phama story.

Has there been a mistake on amazon's UK website?

Other than, Phasma, are there any other adult Star Wars novels due this year that I don't know about?

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You remember the whole 'Journey to the Force Awakens' marketing spiel?

Well, it's another one of those for The Last Jedi.

The only other adult books I wouldn't classify as novels as such:
    • Fry is doing the novelisation of The Last Jedi
    • From A Certain Point of View is a short story collection celebrating ANH's 40th anniversary
    • Canto Blight is a short story collection, with 4 tales.

3. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    Well that's a little... underwhelming.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    There are what are hoped to be two excellent YA books:
    • Leia: Princess of Alderaan - by Claudia Gray
    • The Legends of Luke Skywalker - by Ken Liu
    Both are likely to defy their category. Also a load of younger audience books for The Last Jedi.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I. Phasma's story and that of the FO is not exactly irrelevant to TLJ.

II. "Journey to" should just be treated as "here are books accompanying the toy and publicity blitz for the movie."

Enjoy them or don't enjoy them on their own merits, though. JtTLJ is basically just a marketing tag.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    I'm not really interested in children's books.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    But you're watching a children's movie series? :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    I'm on the fence with regards to the Phasma book. I didn't enjoy the character in TFA, and I'm not sure how relevant the story will be to the events of TLJ.

9. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    And here i was thinking that the movies were for all ages. Just because they don't have extreme violence and sexual content I wouldn't dismiss them as a child's movie only. Rebels on the otherhand is clearly aimed at children first and foremost.

As for the books, they are quite deliberately aimed at adults or children.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    When people like Ken Liu and Greg Rucka are writing the YA stuff, you ought to consider reconsidering your lack of interest.

Outsourced likes this.
  11. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Well, I consider Lost Stars as mislabeled.
    It's true the protagonists started as kids and you could argue that they ended up young adults. (Heck, there are a thread here arguing what age qualify as millennial)
    But the subject... Man, there was betrayal, ecological debate, slavery, and then non descriptive lust. Prisoner of War, war criminals.
    Maybe I'm just out of my time, and these things are really appropriate for ages 13 to 17..

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Literally everything you just said can apply to young reader's or YA books.

Yep, they're marketed for those audiences. So? The quality's often as good as or better than adult-marketed products? Is it just the marketing that bothers you? There's no shame in buying something intended for younger readers, and even if there were, you could order them online and no one would ever know.

13. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Aftermath and Lost Stars have the Journey to logo.
    Before the Awakening didn't have the Journey logo.
    What book is more important for TFA?

The TFA Journey To have some good stories, but in the end, it's not that important for the movie.

14. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    I read Lost Stars because everyo e said that it was a great book for all ages. Personally I could tell that it was aimed at children. It definitely didn't have the feel of an adult only book like Thrawn for example. Anyway, I didn't come here for a debate about reading ages, but I'm glad that you enjoyed the book.

15. iucounu

iucounu Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014

There's nothing in LS that is out of line with what's currently appropriate in YA (indeed you can be more explicit about sex and violence than LS is.) Look at The Hunger Games or the Divergent series - there's content I don't think you'd get through for Star Wars YA.

Because Star Wars is an all-ages universe, I'd argue there's not a huge amount of variation in the reader-age-appropriateness of novels even down into Middle Grade and up into adult. I don't see that there's a big difference between, say, Guardians of the Whills and Heir to the Jedi. (The difference in Star Wars publishing between Middle Grade and YA mainly seems to be that the latter is twice as many pages.) The only stuff that is squarely aimed at kids starting to read independently is (very deliberately) stuff like Adventures in Wild Space and Join the Resistance.

Adult SW novels seem to be distinguished by more complex plotlines and bigger casts of characters, but again, I don't think there's anything content-wise that I've seen people do in Bloodline or Aftermath that you couldn't publish for teens.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Most adults consider all SW books "kids's" books anyway. Alas.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  17. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    The ironic thing is the LOTF series had less "inapproprite" stuff in my eyes than LS. Okay, Tahiri kind of massaged Ben for one page... They did not take clothes off! TWICE!

edit: okay, this is the Phasma thread, so I'm going to stop this thought of YA vs Adult SW novel now.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Didn't realize earlier that this wasn't the main thread. Please don't create redundant threads just to ask a question or express a viewpoint. Put that in the existing thread on a book.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.