main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Joy in the Morning~ A Jacen and Tahiri fic ~ Epilogue 4/11! Replies and Link 4/15

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Jaina_Durron, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    Joy in the Morning~ A Jacen and Tahiri fic ~ Reposted and Continued

Disclaimer: I do not own Star Wars, Jacen Solo, Tahiri Veila, the planet Naboo, or the Yuuzahn Vong. They belong to Lucasfilm Limited. Only the youngest part of the Reeal family, Baler and Aurelia, and the storyline belong to me.

The title comes from Psalm 30:5 ?Weeping may last for the night, but joy comes in the morning.?

This story was originally posted here, on the Classic board. It has been totally revamped so I suggest you read the older parts again.

Chapter One

Tahiri wandered aimlessly through the halls of the new military base. It was late at night, and almost no one was out. She had no real destination, and wasn?t really looking where she was going.

She was thinking again. Of Anakin.

While she?d been on Coruscant with Luke and Mara and Kell and Face and everybody else, she had been so focused on what she was doing that she hadn?t had time to think of him.

Anakin. The person she loved most in the galaxy.

Maybe they couldn?t really have been in love. Maybe they were too young and it was just closeness and affection and infatuation combining to make them think they were in love. Maybe it would have come to nothing, and they would have just been friends forever.

But she did not believe that. It was love. They might have been young, but neither had ever really been children. They had loved each other so much more than Tahiri had ever thought it was possible to love another person.

When he had kissed in that locker, it had been confusing, but on the other hand, had been the most natural thing in the galaxy. They loved each other, even if they had never verbalized it?had never had to?, and in that moment they both knew it. What would be more natural than a kiss?

And now he was gone. He would never kiss her again, or get her out of some scrape she had gotten into by trying to act like him, or know exactly what she was thinking without her telling him. She would never see him coming and suddenly feel like she could touch the sky, or hold his hand, or spar with him, or learn something about the Force from him.

It hurt so bad, thinking those things, that she hunched over and held herself. She gasped as the pain spread from her stomach to every other part of her body and seemed to consume her. These episodes still came, though they were fewer and far between and Tahiri had given up hope that they would ever come to an end.

After a long moment it dimmed somewhat, and she straightened and started walking again. She turned a corner and stopped at what she saw.

Jaina, Anakin?s sister, was in Jagged Fel?s arms. And he was kissing her. Passionately.

Tahiri knew immediately that she wasn?t supposed to have seen that and after her surprise subsided, she turned to go back the way she had come.

But Jaina broke the kiss and pulled out of Jag?s arms. ?Tahiri, wait!?

The younger girl turned back around to face her love?s sister. Her eyes flickered from Jaina to Jag and back again. ?I don?t want to interrupt anything??

?That?s okay. I?ve been wanting to talk to you.? Jaina turned to look at Jag, and something flashed between them. Jag nodded and walked down the hall in the opposite direction, and Jaina looked back at her. ?Please don?t tell anyone you saw that. No one?s supposed to know.?

Tahiri shrugged. ?Okay. But do you really think I care? Do you think I?m going to run off and spread the news through the gossip web??

Jaina stared at her for a moment, as if stunned, then laughed. ?No. I don?t. But I was just making sure. Now, are you okay??

Tahiri shrugged again. She was getting good at doing things like that so she wouldn?t have to talk. It was odd, not wanting to talk anymore, but without Anakin, what was the use?

?That was you I felt in the Force just a moment ago??

Tahiri shrugged.

Jaina rolled her eyes. ?That was really bad, Tahiri. What caused it??

Tahiri stared at her. How could she

2. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Chapter Two

?Thank you for coming Tahiri,? Master Skywalker said as she entered the room.

She shrugged. Again. ?It?s not like I had a whole lot else to do.?

He smiled and motioned to a chair, which she sat down in. ?Which is why I wanted to talk to you.?

She gave him a dubious look. ?Are you sending me on a mission??

He hesitated a moment. ?Kind of.?

?Kind of?? she repeated skeptically.

?Yes. It won?t be into much danger, and it?s more for you than anything, but?Jacen?s having it hard. He?s only been back a week, but I?m worried for him. He?s having a hard time adapting, both emotionally and physically. He?s tired all the time. All this attention and contact with people after months of seeing just Vong and Vergere is wearing him out. He needs to get away.?

She narrowed her eyes suspiciously. ?And this has to do with me???

He sighed. ?I know you don?t enjoy ?baby-sitting? people who are older than you??

?Where are you sending us??

He smiled wearily. ?Naboo. An estate that?s been there for years, in the lake country.?

?I?ve never heard of this planet,? she said.

?Not many do. It?s not a part of the Republic. But you?ll be safe there.?

?Why me, if I may ask??

He sat down on the edge of the desk. ?A number of reasons. One being, Jacen?s comfortable with you. I?d send Jaina or Han or Leia if I could, but??

?But they?re busy trying to save the galaxy.?

He looked a bit sheepish. ?Yes, actually. And Jacen knows you better than anyone else, I suppose.?

?I suppose.?

?Second, I??

?Second, you can spare me since I?m not doing anything of importance anyways.?

He looked even more sheepish, but amused at the same time. ?You?re awfully perceptive. Want to take a guess as to what my last reason is??

?You?re worried about me too and want me to get away from all the death things that remind of Anakin. Well, it?s a thoughtful idea, but Jacen reminds me more of him than anybody else.?

He smiled wistfully. ?Yes. As much as they tried to dispute it, they were so much alike?? he trailed off, then brightened. ?Anyways, I know I can trust you to take better care of Jacen than anyone.?

She lifted an eyebrow. ?Are you sure I?m not going to be the one taken care of??

He laughed outright. ?Yes. Jacen?s doing worse than most people see. We?re going to have a hard time getting him away from Jaina and Han and Leia, but I think once we get him there, it?ll be alright.?

She nodded. ?I suppose. And since I can?t fight anymore?or more likely I?m just not being allowed to fight?I can at least make myself useful playing nursemaid to the man I love?s brother.?

He shook his head. ?I didn?t mean it like that Tahiri. And in time, you?ll be able to fight again. And so will Jacen. And everything will work out. We?ll stop the Vong. And I?m sure when we do, that the two of you will be a part of it.?
    ?Hey. You ?bout ready to go??

Tahiri looked up to see Kyp Durron smiling down at her. ?I guess. Are you taking us to Naboo??

?Yup. I volunteered.?

?My question is whether Jacen?s actually going to let you fly him anywhere.?

He smiled, and it was almost entirely devoid of pain this time. ?I think he?ll deal with it when he sees that he has to. And the two of us can have a talk on the way.?

?You want to have a talk with him??

?No one else will really tell him what happened with Jaina on Hapes. I figure he deserves to know. And besides, I want to apologize to him.?

?For what?? She was finding Kyp more and more surprising as time went by. It was?interesting. She hadn?t known he was like this. She?d only ever seen the brash, right-on-the-edge-of-the-Dark-Side Jedi Master with a bad attitude and no mercy. Now, though, she was seeing a man who hurt and who loved and who felt. It was refreshing.

?For always being a jerk to him.?

She laughed softly. ?He?ll appreciate that, I?m sure.?

?I hope so. Let?s get your stuff on board.?

She followed him up the ramp into the small freighter they were using to get to Naboo. She was g

3. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Chapter Three

They stepped out of the speeder and Tahiri gasped. If the place was beautiful from the lakeside, here, up close it was breathtaking.

?It?s the most beautiful place I?ve ever seen,? Tahiri breathed.

Auerlia beamed proudly. ?We Gerars take great pride in our island.?

?It?s wonderful,? Jacen agreed. ?And it looks ancient; you must take very good care of it.?

Baler laughed. ?We try. The only thing is, we don?t know that the next owners will take such good care of it??

Tahiri looked up in alarm. ?Next owners? But you made it sound as though it had been in the family for years.?

?Centuries, perhaps millennia,? Baler agreed. ?But we have no children. Our only son died in the battle of Ithor, and he hadn?t been married. I was an only child, and Auerlia?s family has no claim on the property. When we die, we don?t know what will happen to it.?

?How terrible,? Tahiri breathed, looking around her with new appreciation. The next owner could tear all this down, turn it into a commercial area?

Baler shrugged. ?We hope to find someone who we can trust it with before then. But if not?? he trailed off.

Tahiri felt her mood sink a little bit. This beautiful place with no one to take care of it?

She followed the Gerars and Kyp up the stairs to the building. She felt Jacen?s hand on her elbow, supporting her. His touch made her jump and she said the first thing that came to her mind. ?Solo, I might have lost the person I love more than life, but I can still walk up the stairs.?

He grinned. But, as always since he?d been back, there was something behind the expression that she didn?t understand. Jacen had changed. Dramatically. And she hadn?t yet decided if it was for the better.

They reached a long portico that jutted out over the water. When they reached it, Tahiri walked to the edge and leaned against the balustrade and looked out across the water.

?I think this is one babysitting job I won?t mind,? she breathed to herself.

?All right. Why don?t we show you to your rooms and you can get your stuff settled in, and then we can give you the grand tour?? Auerlia suggested.

?Good idea,? Tahiri agreed.

The more she saw of this place, the more she loved it. Her room, of the same marble, with the silken hangings and the four-poster bed led out onto a balcony, and so did Jacen?s. Flowers and vines curled up the walls and hung down over windows, and a gentle breeze blew them about. The temperature here was wonderful, not too hot, and the marble kept the buildings cool.

The furniture and décor was the most beautiful she had ever seen. Everything was carved of rich woods from exotic places with the most wonderful smells. Vases and statues and other knick-knacks were exquisite works of art from all corners of the galaxy, but mostly from the master artisans of Naboo itself. Paintings on the wall displayed the lives and history of Naboo.

Windows and doors were open everywhere, most leading to balconies that overhung the water, and let in the soft breeze. There were all kinds of rooms: bedrooms and dining rooms and living rooms and a library and rooms specifically to display artwork, large kitchens, even one room full of tanks holding the smaller examples of Nubian aquatic life. Then there were the little courtyards and gardens in between rooms.

Tahiri loved it.

But Jacen didn?t.

She found him out on the portico they had entered. His eyes were turned out across the water, but she could tell he wasn?t looking at the view. She leaned against the side beside him.

?What?s wrong, Jacen?? she asked quietly.

He didn?t turn to look at her. ?It?s wrong that we should be here, with all this beauty when there are so many dying all over the galaxy?? There was again something in his voice she didn?t understand.

?Jacen, what happened to you with the Yuuzahn Vong??

He didn?t answer, but something shifted subtlety in his face and his Force-presence.

?Jacen?? she persisted gently.

?There are no words for some things,? he whispere

4. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Chapter Four

?You dreamed about Anakin last night, didn?t you??

Tahiri looked up from her breakfast, surprised, into Jacen?s brown eyes. ?How???

?I heard you. And felt it in the Force.? He sat down beside her on the tall barstool. They were in the kitchen of the Lodge. Tahiri loved this room too. The ceiling was high, and there were no windows in the room, just doors opening outdoors on both ends. Whereas in most of the building everything was marble, here it was all wood. Deep brown colors that lined everything. Pots and pans, dried herbs and other necessities hung from thick wooden beams on the ceiling. A large fireplace was on the far wall, not lit. There were large glass containers everywhere that held all sorts of delicious-looking goodies.

Tahiri shifted uncomfortably. ?I thought they were going away. The last one I had was a week ago.?

?You have them often?? He picked up a fork and quietly began to eat.

She picked at her food. ?I used to have them every night. I thought they were going away,? she repeated.

?I had them too.?

She looked up at him sharply. ?Really??

?Yes.?

It didn?t appear as though he was about to volunteer anymore information. ?Do you think I should have gotten over him, too?? she demanded.

He looked up in surprise. ?Who told you you needed to??

?Jaina.?

He rolled his eyes. ?I thought we went over this. Jaina?s not at her best. Don?t listen to her.?

?Do you agree with her?? she persisted.

?No.?

?And?? she prompted.

?I think you?ll find a way to heal in due time. Until then, just hold on to the Force.? He went back to his meal.

?And how am I supposed to do that??

His large eyes bored into hers. ?I thought you were a Jedi, Tahiri Veila.?

?I am.? His gaze was making her feel uncomforatable again.

?Well, then, you should know how to connect to the Force by yourself. And you shouldn?t listen to what anybody else tells you about it.?

?I?ve tried to. But it doesn?t work. And weren?t you the one who told me yesterday that you needed to tell people the true nature of the Force??

?I think you know what the true nature is. You and Anakin found it, somehow, even if neither one of you could voice it. And if the Force isn?t working just now, then that means that you aren?t supposed to use it that way. There?s something else that will help, wouldn?t you agree??

She sighed, exasperated, pushed her plate away from her, and stood up. ?You know what I think, Jacen Solo? I think that you were always annoyingly vague, but since you got back, you?ve been even worse than usual.?

To her surprise, he looked at her and grinned. ?I agree with you, Veil.?

She stared at him for a moment, then spun on her heel and left the room, leaving him laughing quietly.

?What are you two going to do today?? Aurelia asked Tahiri as she helped her take down sheets from the line. It was an ancient way of drying them, but Aurelia said it made them smell wonderful. And she was right.

Tahiri shrugged. ?I don?t know. I don?t know if he even wants to be around me or not.?

The older woman looked at her with sharp eyes. ?Why were you two sent here?? she asked.

Tahiri looked at her in surprise. ?How did you know we were sent??

?Because you both are so restless, like you want to be somewhere else, doing something different.?

Tahiri was amazed at the woman?s perceptiveness.

?I can?t see why,? Aurelia continued. ?This is the most beautiful place in the galaxy. I haven?t been everywhere else, but I know it is. But then, you?re Jedi, and from what I?ve heard Jedi don?t stay in one place very long. Is that it??

?Kind of.?

?What?s the rest of it??

Tahiri paused in the middle of folding one of the silken sheets. ?I guess,? she said slowly, ?we both wish we could be helping people. Jedi are warriors, no matter what Master Skywalker might say, and it?s our duty to be out there. It does make us restless, knowing we?re here in the middle of nowhere when we should be fighting alongside our fellow Jedi.?

?That makes sense,? Aurelia agreed. ?Th

5. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Chapter Five

?Jacen, I meant what I said. You?re really frustrating,? she announced the next morning at breakfast.

He looked up, amused, and cocked an eyebrow at her. The movement was so like something Anakin would do that Tahiri almost choked up.

He turned in his chair to look at her. ?And what brings this up??

?Master Skywalker sent me here for a reason: namely, to look after you. I?m obviously not doing you any good, so I don?t think I need to be here. And even if you don?t need me here, you might try and make it seem like you do. Just to make me feel better,? she finished.

And then he laughed, his strange, distant laugh. He laughed so hard he had to wipe tears away from his eyes. ?Tahiri Veila, you are a treasure, you know that? No wonder Anakin was so in love with you.?

She glared at him. ?I was serious.?

?So was I.? He sobered a bit. ?Fine. You feel like you?re useless? I?m going to make you feel so needed it won?t even be funny.?

She narrowed her eyes at him. ?That doesn?t sound very safe.?

?Safe? Oh, it won?t be.? There was something in his eyes that reminded her of his father. ?But at least you?ll feel needed, right?? He rose from his chair and headed out of the kitchen. ?Meet me at the waterspeeder in an hour.?

Tahiri stared after him for a moment, then shook her head.

She was sitting on the edge of the dock, trailing her feet in the water when he appeared behind her. ?You ready??

?Considering I have no clue what we?re doing, I guess I?m as ready as I?ll ever be.?

?Good.? He reached out a hand and helped her into the speeder.

?What?s in there?? she asked pointing at a large basket he had set down on the extra seat.

?You?ll just have to wait and find out.? There was a mischievous twinkle in his eye that reminded her of Anakin. A knot developed in the pit of her stomach.

How on Coruscant could he look so playful and at the same time so dead serious? Jacen Solo was a paradox Tahiri never thought she would figure out. She hadn?t known him very well until they were in the Force-meld together on Myrkr. He?d always just been Anakin?s older brother. And as much as they acted like they hated each other, she knew that Anakin had really worshiped Jacen. She herself had always looked on him with a sort of awe. He wasn?t a purely powerful as her Anakin, but his empathetic abilities allowed him to do things Anakin would never dream of doing. It was a bit overwhelming. She knew how Kyp had twisted Jaina?s mind before the battle of Sernpidal, and she knew that Jacen could do that vastly easier than could Kyp. But somehow she knew he wouldn?t. Ever.

The day was perfect; silken and clear. The big puffy white clouds raced across the sky and the sun was almost overhead now. The sky was a brilliant arch of pure azure that stretched from horizon to horizon. The sun beat down on the top of her head, but it wasn?t too hot. The spray from the speeder misted her face and she leaned out over the water, dragging her hand alongside them.

Jacen wasn?t a pilot like his sister or brother, but he handled the speeder with a carelessness that made her know he knew what he was doing. He was a good driver.

?You wanna drive?? he shouted over the noise of the engine.

She looked up at him in surprise. ?Really??

?Sure. Com?ere. I?ll show you how.? He slowed down a bit and she carefully made her way over to him. He stood up and she slid into the driver?s seat. He positioned himself behind her and reached over her shoulder.

?Look. It?s a whole lot like a landspeeder. You?re pretty good with those. I think you can handle this. Here?s the gear control. And the speedometer.? He pointed out each thing and continued naming little things she might need to know. He was leaning far over her and she could smell his aftershave. He smelled really good. For a brief instant she allowed herself to close her eyes and drink him in. But then guilt kicked in. She couldn?t betray Anakin.

He sat back in the seat beside her and grinned. ?Good. You?re very good at this.?

?Thank you. Where ar

6. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Chapter Six

With a contented sigh and a full belly, Tahiri fell backwards into the tall grasses. ?Aurelia is the best cook in the galaxy.?

Jacen had flopped down on his stomach not far away and plucked a long blade of grass. ?I agree.? He positioned the blade between his hands and blew. A strange whistling noise filled the air.

?Anakin taught me that,? he said after a moment, throwing the blade of grass away.

?He taught me, too,? she added softly.

He flipped over on his back and tucked his hands under his head. ?I miss him.? Somehow it didn?t seem stupid and obvious when he said it. ?We never got along that well, but I feel empty without him.?

I know exactly how you feel. ?You were brothers.?

?I know, but still?Did you know I wanted to be like him??

She stared at him in surprise. ?No.?

?I did. He seemed always to know what was right, what course to take. I envied that. I never knew what to do?I struggled so much with indecision?I never saw Anakin hesitate or question.?

?Maybe he should have.?

?I don?t know. He did manage to get in a lot of trouble because of it?but he always got out of trouble again.?

?I think it had more to do with the Solo luck and his Force-powers than his personality.?

?Maybe.?

They were silent for a moment. The grass easily reached to Jacen?s waist when they were standing, and now that they were lying down, it seemed to form a little world around them. The sky seemed incredibly far away, and enormous, and Tahiri felt as small as one of the bright blue, silver-winged insects that landed not far from her face.

She shifted until she was lying on her stomach and looked over at Jacen again. ?He idolized you, you know.?

?Somehow I knew that. I?ve been trying to figure that one out.?

?It?s not that hard, really.?

?But it is. It is for me. When I told him that I had always wanted to be him, to be strong like him, and not question things, do you know what he said? He said that he wasn?t the type to question things. That he was a living weapon and you pointed him at something and he would destroy it. He said that was the way Uncle Luke was too. He said that that wasn?t working in this war, though, and they needed the people like me. I told him that I?d rather be dead, like him, than be what I am.?

?What are you, Jacen Solo?? she whispered.

He closed his eyes. ?That?s what I tried for months to figure out. When I was dead. And now I know. I?m a student.? He added quietly, ?And a teacher.?

?Jacen, you?re scaring me. You?ve been scaring me since you got back.?

He smiled gently. ?I?m sorry, Veil. I suppose I do. Here?s a thought for you: when you start to become who you are, the first thing that happens is that you stop fearing.?

?See? That?s what I mean. You?re scary. You keep saying things like that. You?re not acting like Jacen.?

He grinned again. ?That?s what I thought when Anakin told me that the Force is One. I told him he wasn?t Anakin, because Anakin wouldn?t talk like that.?

Her throat tightened. It was so hard to talk about him? ?When was this?? she managed to whisper.

?On Yuuzhan?tar.?

?Where??

?Coruscant.?

?Oh.?

?The Vong have totally reformed it, you know.?

?I heard. I didn?t want to believe it.?

?Believe it.?

?Why do you call it Yuuzhan?whatever??

?Because it isn?t Coruscant anymore.?

?But it was when you talked with him there.?

?No it wasn?t. This talk I told you about happened maybe four months ago.?

Her mouth dropped open. ?But he?s been dead almost a year!?

?I know. But he?appeared to me. On Yuuzhan?tar.?

?What??

?Yes. I was running around the planet, trying to escape from myself. I ended up in our old apartment?and there he was.?

For a moment, she stopped breathing, sure her heart had stopped. ?He?was there? Really there?? she breathed.

?Yes. We talked.?

?What did he say??

?He basically responded to my rantings. And then he said something I?ll never forget. Something I didn?t believe at the time, but now seems so true. He said ?The Force is one, Jacen. It

7. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Chapter Seven

Aurelia looked out the kitchen window to see the speeder pull up at the dock. Jacen took Tahiri?s hand and helped her out and they walked towards the Lodge. Aurelia wiped her hands on her apron and started out to meet them.

?Did you have a good time?? she asked.

Tahiri and Jacen exchanged glances. ?Very,? Tahiri finally said.

?Good. Baler and I are going to visit some friends tonight. We?ll stay with them tonight and will be back tomorrow. Will you two be okay??

?Sure,? Jacen said.

?I?ve cooked some dinner for you. You can help yourself to anything else in the kitchen as well. I?m going to go get ready now, but I?ll let you know before we go.?

?Alright.?

As the sun set, Jacen and Tahiri carried their dinner outside and settled down on white marble porch furniture. The veranda looked out over the water, which was reflection the brilliant colors of the sunset.

?So what did you think about what I said about the Force and Anakin?? Jacen asked as they ate.

?Um, Jacen, if you don?t mind, can we talk about something else right now? This afternoon was a little heavy, if you know what I mean.?

?Sure, sure.? He didn?t seem the least bit surprised. ?So, what?s your favorite color??

?Excuse me??

?Well, you said you don?t want to talk about anything heavy. And I?ve realized that as long as I know you, I don?t really know that much about you. So you can answer my questions, and then ask me the same ones if you want.?

She looked at him dubiously. ?Oookay. Blue, I think.?

?I like blue. I think my favorite is green, though. If you could live on any planet in the galaxy, where would you live??

?Hmmm,? she mused. ?I don?t know, exactly. I loved Tatooine, but there?s really nothing for me there anymore. Yavin 4 would be too?painful. I don?t know?? She looked around her. ?Here, I think. This is the most beautiful planet I?ve ever seen. When the war is over, I want to come here.?

He leaned back in his seat, taking in the view. ?I agree with you. This is beautiful. I like to think Alderaan was a little like this. I could never live on Coruscant again, even if it could go back to the way it was. And Yavin 4?that would be hard. I like it here. I suppose I just want to be with the people I love.?

She smiled. ?That doesn?t sound anything like something you would have said before Myrkr.?

He grinned widely. ?You?re right. It doesn?t. Next question?what?s the thing that scares you most??

The smile fell off her face. ?I suppose?the thought of being alone. Being without Anakin for the rest of my life.?

He nodded seriously. ?I probably shouldn?t have asked that.?

?No, it?s okay. But what scares you the most??

?Remember what I told you? About when you become who you are??

?Don?t give me that, Solo. I don?t believe for a second that you aren?t scared of anything. I know there?s something that still scares you.?

He closed his eyes. ?I don?t know?I suppose that I?m scared of?not being good enough. No, that?s not it. Not living up to who I know that I am. And though I?m not in the least bit scared of death, I don?t want to die before I finish what the Force has set for me to do.?

She nodded, watching the subtle movements of his face. He ran his fingers through his tight blonde-streaked brown curls and his eyes snapped open. ?Favorite holo-drama??

She laughed. ?That?s more like the questions I was expecting. Um, anything with Wynessa Starflare. Jag?s mom. Yours??

?I think the documentary of Alderaan. The one they made right after the planet was blown up. They used all kinds of holos of the people and places and ways of life. It was truly an amazing planet.?

?I?ve seen that one. I didn?t think you would have admitted something like that. Anakin always said that his favorite was Warfare. You know, Face running around blowing things up.?

Jacen chuckled. ?I bet it was really something sappy and he just didn?t want to admit it.?

Tahiri snickered. ?Probably. That would have been just like him.?

?Okay, wha

8. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Chapter Eight

Tahiri had always liked firelight. There was something mystical and magical about it. The way it licked over shapes, creating strange shadows and highlights, twisting familiar shapes into strange and alien ones. The way it was doing to Jacen?s face now.

It seemed to be carved out of the same sandalwood as the table they had just eaten at. It was shadowed, except for his eyes which seemed to blaze. It was strange, she thought. He had Han?s nose, Luke?s chin, and Leia?s eyes, except that his were steelier and deeper. She had no clue where his curls or his cheekbones came from, and the thought that they probably had come from Darth Vader amused her. When one really studied him, he didn?t look at all like Anakin, as most people thought. They had the same face shapes and Anakin also had those cheekbones, but that was really where the similarities ended.

Somehow, that comforted her. She had a hard enough time being around him without him looking exactly like Anakin.

?Veil?? He asked suddenly.

?Hm?? She was getting drowsy, sitting by the fire. This room was warm, though it had gotten cold outside. There was no light except that which came from the fireplace, and the room was full of comfortable furniture.

?Tell me about your nightmares.?

That had been the last thing she had expected. She blinked. ?What??

?You don?t have to tell me if it would be too hard for you, but I?d like to know.?

She shifted uncomfortably in her seat. This wasn?t a question she thought she would ever have to answer, and she wasn?t quite sure what to say. Jacen had been through more pain than anyone in the galaxy, quite possibly, and all that had happened to her was that she had lost Anakin. How could she explain without making it sound like she was overacting?

No, he wouldn?t think that. She knew he wouldn?t. Other people might judge her on her lack of resilience, but he wouldn?t. Jacen didn?t judge anybody. But she still wasn?t very sure that she wanted to tell him. It was too painful?

?It starts out wonderfully. It?s me and Anakin on Yavin 4. On the top of the Great Temple, watching the sunset.? The words spilled out without any conscious effort on Tahiri?s part, and they rather surprised her. ?And everything is perfect, and beautiful. I?m with him, and everything is right in the galaxy. And then, all of a sudden, the sky starts turning red. Bright red, all over, not like the color of the sunset. The color of blood.?

She took a deep breath. ?And the blood starts to fall from the sky, and it falls all around, and turns everything blood-red. Except for Anakin. It can?t touch him. Or me, because he?s holding my hand. For a long time we stand there, with the smell of death in the air, and blood covering everything. And then, far away in the distance, there?s a roaring sound, like a great river. And after a bit, an enormous flow of blood rushes towards us, wiping out everything in sight. It roars and pounds against everything. But I?m not really scared, because it can?t touch Anakin, and it can?t touch me, because I?m with him. So we stand there, watching it come. And then the blood seems to form warriors. Blood warriors. And they rush at us, like the river.?

Her voice caught in her throat, and tears welled up in her eyes. ?And then,? she whispered, ?the blood river and the warriors reach us. And they?? She couldn?t finish. She screwed her eyes up tight, feeling the trickles of tears run down her cheeks.

?It?s okay, Tahiri. You don?t have to finish.?

She took another deep breath, but kept her eyes closed. ?No, no. I do. I need to tell you.? It took her a few moments to regain control. ?The warriors hit him, hard. And they start hacking into him. And I scream, and scream, and scream. But he?s still pure. The blood can?t stain him. Not theirs, at least. But from his wounds, blood flows. But it?s golden.

?Then he gets to weak to stand, and the river carries him away. And I run after them, but it?s no use, because the river is going to fast. And then I look down at myself, and I?m splat

9. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Chapter Nine

Sunlight streaming through the glassless windows woke Tahiri the next morning. She screwed her eyes up tight and rolled over for a second, giving herself a few moments to wipe the cobwebs out of her brain. Everything was foggy, as it usually was when she first woke. She wasn?t a morning person.

Dimly, it registered with her that she hadn?t had any nightmares that night. Maybe telling Jacen about them had worked.

Jacen.

She suddenly became aware of another very familiar presence in the room and sat bolt upright.

Sprawled out in the armchair beside her bed, Jacen was dozing quietly. His curls were tousled and his face was flushed. He looked more peaceful than she?d ever seen him. A single curl fell across his forehead and she had an irresistible urge to brush it into place. She slowly moved her hand to do so, still gaping at him. He suddenly stirred, and she jerked her hand back. Without opening his eyes, grinned at her sleepily. ?Hi.?

?What are you doing?? The question came out sharper than she had meant it.

He opened one eyes lazily. ?I was keeping your nightmares away.?

For once in her life, she was stunned into silence. ?What??

?I was keeping your nightmares away,? he repeated. He seemed less sure of himself this time.

?That was you?? All of a sudden she remembered dreaming about a lopsided grin and tousled brown hair. At the time she?d thought it was Anakin, but was it?.?

?I guess so.? He sat up slowly and winced. ?Remind me never to sleep in a chair again.?

Tahiri was still too stunned for much speech. ?Wait a second. Let me get this straight. You brought me in here, then slept in my room all night just to keep some stupid nightmare I might not even have away??

He shrugged sheepishly. ?That about sums it up.?

?Why??

That question seemed to make him uncomfortable. He shrugged again. ?I don?t know?I guess because I?ve seen you in so much pain and I don?t want anything else to hurt you??

That did something to her that she didn?t quite understand, so she ignored it by swinging her legs over the side of the bed and standing quickly. She looked down at herself and realized that she was still in the clothes she?d worn yesterday. Luckily for Jacen. ?Well thank you,? she said brusquely. ?Do you mind??

He stood up hastily. ?No, no. I?ll leave now.?

Her eyes followed him towards the door, not quite sure why she felt like she did.

Annoyed at herself, she shrugged it off and yanked open her dresser drawer and pulled out the first thing in sight. Then, with a sigh, she headed for the ?fresher.

The island that the Lodge was located on was roughly four times the size of the Lodge itself. It was entirely covered with thick green trees that rose to a peak near the center. It had once been part of the mainland, then a river had developed and slowly wore away until the island was an island. Only a few meters away, towards the middle of the lake was an even tinier island. It was about half the size of the Lodge and covered entirely with sand, except for one strange tree that jutted out of the middle. A jetty stuck out from the smaller island, which Baler had told Tahiri was called Lone Tree Island.

Tahiri had a good view of Lone Tree Island from the barstool in which she sat silently eating her breakfast. Jacen was beside her, but there had been no conversation since she?d entered the room. For the first time since he had come back, she didn?t feel comfortable talking with him and she didn?t know why.

Aurelia noticed. Hiding a smile, she said, ?Were you two alright last night??

Two heads jerked up immediately. ?Oh, um, yeah,? Jacen said.

Amused, Aurelia continued, ?You two haven?t seen much of the island yet, have you? The forest is really very enchanting. And sometime you should go out to Lone Tree. Swim, maybe. We used to have a group of girls who were training to be politicians?go figure?come stay with us for school retreat. Every day they would swim out to that Island. Good girls, all of them. Several of them came ba

10. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Chapter Ten

?Whoa,? Tahiri breathed. ?This has to be where that house Aurelia told us was.?

It was late afternoon, the sun dipping low in the sky. They?d eaten lunch and wandered around the island, silent for the most part, when they did talk, only conversing about their memories of better times before the war.

?Gotta be,? Jacen agreed.

They stood in the middle of a small clearing in the forest, though it was still dark, since the branches of the surrounding trees had laced together, creating a sort of roof. In the middle of the clearing were two, half-broken down stone walls, forming half of a square. Clearly seen on the soft, mossy carpet of grass was the foundation of the house. ?It was enormous!? Tahiri exclaimed.

?Much bigger than the Lodge,? Jacen agreed. ?Look. There was a tower there.?

Obviously, the clearing had once been much larger and the trees had since grown in, right up to the edges of the house?s foundation. In what had been a corner, was a topless, round tower, wrapped around with thick vines, and a tree growing up right from the middle. ?Hey, come on. Let?s go climb it.?

Jacen hesitated. ?It might not be too safe.?

She rolled her eyes. ?You?re such a party pooper. Come on.? She grabbed his hand and tugged him towards it. Sighing, he dropped the basket on the ground and allowed her to lead him towards the crumbling tower.

Tahiri pushed both vines and cobwebs aside at the door jamb. The remains of a rotting wooden door only covered half of the doorway, so Tahiri could easily slip her tiny, svelte figure through. Jacen had a bit more trouble.

She felt his hand slip out of hers, and turned to see that he was stuck in the door. He?d tried to get in by turning sideways, but now the door had trapped him. A thick cobweb hung in his face. He blew it away, frustrated, as Tahiri dissolved into laughter. ?I?m stuck,? he said.

?I noticed.?

He glared at her, and she forced herself to quit laughing, then walked towards him. ?You?re a Jedi. Surely you can get out of that thing.? When he didn?t reply, she sighed and reached out, sure of a solution. Surprisingly, the door wasn?t as delicate as it looked. It didn?t crumble when she hit it. She chewed on her lip a moment, then, after hesitating, slipped her hand between his chest and the edge of the door.

?What are you doing?? Jacen yelped.

Blushing furiously, she wrenched the door away. ?I?m getting you lose.? The door finally crumbled and Jacen tumbled free. He brushed his tunic off and didn?t look at her. ?Well, thank you.?

?You?re welcome.?

The moment hung for a moment, growing increasingly uncomfortable by the moment. Then, abruptly, Tahiri reached out and grabbed his hand again. She gestured towards a spiral stone staircase. ?Let?s see what?s upstairs.?

?There?s not much a view,? Jacen commented as they leaned side-by-side over the parapet on the edge of the tower. There wasn?t a whole lot of room up there, considering that there was an enormous tree grown right up in the middle of the tower itself.

?No. But it reminds me of the type of secret hideout every little kid wants. Can you imagine growing up on this island? This would definitely be any kid?s favorite place.?

He chuckled. ?Yeah, probably so. This would be a great place to grow up. Not necessarily even just this island. The entire planet. No child should have to see war the way the rest of the galaxy has.?

?Nope.? She leaned her head back and looked straight up, into the thick, dense branches of the tree. She could barely see patches of a darkening blue sky through the leaves. ?I think the sun?s setting.?

He glanced at his wrist-chrono. ?Yeah, it?s getting pretty late. We better start heading in, or Aurelia will be mad at us for being late for dinner.?

She nodded her agreement, and took one last look over the edge of the tower?s crumbling wall before turning to follow him. As she stepped towards the staircase, the ground fell out from underneath her, and she dropped with a shriek, straight down into darkness

11. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Chapter Eleven

Tahiri?s eyelids fluttered open and she shivered. There were two things she noticed. First, there was no light. It was the middle of the night, it had to be. The air had that strange dampness that let you know it was after sunset. But the second thing she noticed was that she didn?t hurt anymore.

Then, she sat bolt upright. ?Jacen!?

There was a flurry of motion from the armchair beside her bed. ?What?? She looked over to see Jacen looking around wildly, stirred out of sleep. Silver moonlight streamed down on him.

She leaned back against the headboard with a sigh. ?Nothing. I just didn?t know if you would be there.?

He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and moved to sit on the edge of the bed. ?Of course I was here. I?ll always be here.?

She blushed and looked down at her folded hands in her lap. She felt his strong hand brush her cheek, and tilt her chin up. His other hand stole up and he cupped her face in his hands. Her heart was beating against her chest so hard she thought that it would leap right out. Force, why did he have to look at her like that?

The look in his eyes was different than any she?d ever seen in Anakin?s when he looked at her. Totally different. But it gave her shivers, running up and down her spine. Goosebumps were raised on her arms, and she couldn?t drag her eyes away from his.

?I?m here, Tahiri. I?ll always be here,? he repeated quietly.

His eyes bored into hers, and for a moment, she totally forgot where she was. She felt, more than saw, him leaning closer, and she knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was going to kiss her.

Strangely, she didn?t want to stop him. For once, Anakin?s face didn?t leap to the forefront of her mind. She hadn?t forgotten Anakin, she realized, she?d just realized that he would have wanted her to be happy, to move on. But with his brother??

His face was just centimeters above hers now, his eyes roving over her face. ?Force, Tahiri, you?re??

In the next moment, before he could finish his sentence and lower his lips to hers, the door to her room flew open, and she and Jacen jerked apart.

Aurelia rustled into the room, her hair done up in a profusion of old-fashioned curlers. A long robe swirled out around her, and she flipped on the lights, causing Tahiri to blink rapidly.

?Tahiri! You?re awake! It?s been three days, I was beginning to think you?d never come to! How do you feel??

A very tired-looking Baler wandered into the room. ?She?s awake??

?I feel okay, Aurelia.? Her heart was still beating hard, and she was acutely aware that though Jacen had moved away, he was still watching her. Why had Aurelia had to walk in just then? ?I?m a little stiff. A little achy.?

?Wonderful!? She clapped her hands together, but cast Jacen a shrewd look.

?She should probably stay off of her ankle for a couple of days,? Jacen said.

Baler scratched his beard. ?Well, little lady, how about something to eat. You must be hungry.?

She smiled. ?They tell you that you don?t need it while you?re out, but they?re wrong. Aurelia??

She nodded and started heading towards the door. ?I?ll have something whipped up in no time. What do you feel like, dear? How about something Ithorian? Or perhaps Corellian? Or I could make something really Nubian??

Baler chuckled as his wife disappeared out into the hall, still considering what to make. ?I?m glad you?re better, dear. That was a pretty near thing. You were banged up real bad. Jacen took good care of you, I guess.?

?He did.? For the life of her, she couldn?t bring herself to look at Jacen.

?Well, come on. We?d better stop Aurelia before she ?whips up? everything in the kitchen,? Baler said, laughing.

Jacen took her hand, and helped her up. She hoped he didn?t notice how cold hers was.

Jacen leaned down to whisper in her ear as they followed Baler towards the kitchen. ?Tahiri, I??

She turned her head up to look at him, and he swallowed hard. ?Never mind,? he said weakly.

For three days, Tahiri had the luxury of doing nothing. Which, she realized, w

12. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Chapter Twelve

Tahiri collapsed onto her bed that night, completely exhausted. She and Jacen had stayed in the water until the sun began to go down, then they watched the sunset on the balcony while they ate their dinner. Tahiri had then realized just how tired she was and excused herself.

But as tired as she was, she couldn?t sleep just yet. She had to think.

And she had a lot to think about.

Jacen had kissed her today. Out of the blue, without any warning. And the stranger thing: she had enjoyed it. She shouldn?t have. He was Anakin?s brother. But she had. And when he had, she?d realized that she?d been wanting him to kiss her all along.

The question was, why?

She had to be honest with herself. If she wasn?t, she wouldn?t ever figure this thing out.

And if she was perfectly honest with herself, she had to admit that it was because she had definite feelings for Jacen.

But that was such a pale way of putting it. She connected with Jacen in a way she hadn?t ever connected with anyone, not even Anakin. When she was with him, she felt safe and cherished. He understood what she had been through in a way no person in the galaxy could possibly understand.

But there was something more than that?something that made this totally different than it had been with Anakin.

With Anakin, she had always felt like he made her a part of something bigger and better than herself. He gave her direction, and a sort of meaning in life. But with Jacen?he made her feel?complete. Not like she completed someone else, the way she had felt she had made Anakin complete. But like?Jacen was the other half of her, and that they made each other complete.

She wasn?t exactly sure that that made sense, even to herself, but it was the nearest thing she could come up with.

The next question was, as much as she loved Anakin, was this betraying him?

She wanted to think that it wasn?t, but he?d only been dead a year. But wouldn?t Anakin want her to be happy? And she had to admit that with Jacen she was happier than she had been since the war started...maybe the happiest she had ever been?

She was sure Anakin would want her to be happy, but with his brother, the one he didn?t even really get along with?

No, she wasn?t betraying Anakin, at least she didn?t think so. But was she really in love with Jacen? How could she be? She had loved Anakin, and the two brothers were almost exact opposites. They both had a compelling intensity, and they both had more integrity than anyone she had ever met; they wanted to do right, no matter what the consequences to themselves. But other than that, the were as dissimilar as two people could be.

Jacen was cautious where Anakin was impulsive. He was a thinker where his brother was a doer. He was more concerned about how the Force could use him, unlike Anakin, who wanted to know how he could use the Force. Jacen had a sense of humor, even if he was extremely good at hiding it, but she couldn?t remember Anakin laughing a lot. Not that Anakin was grim, or anything, he just didn?t have time to laugh. She and Jacen were always laughing together. Jacen didn?t think he had to save the galaxy single-handed, but Anakin certainly had. Jacen accepted weaknesses, though he tried to turn them into strengths, where Anakin simply tried to work around them.

They were opposites, but they both made her feel totally?loved?? Was that the right word?

Jacen had invaded her world at her lowest point and had shone a light into the darkness of her heart. She had been in such incredible pain, but since Master Skywalker had sent her here, she?d forgotten her pain. Except in her dreams, and he had totally driven those out of her mind. She was confident that she wouldn?t have them again. At least not while Jacen was anywhere around.

When he was around, she simply wasn?t scared. After Anakin had died she was completely paralyzed with fear of the future. She had grasped at the past that was quickly slipping away, ignoring the present, and

13. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Chapter Thirteen

?So,? Tahiri asked. ?Where are we going??

She and Jacen were sitting in the bed of a flat-backed landspeeder, bumping along a road that had probably been built hundreds of years ago. She squinted and peered up into the brilliant blue of the sky that arched overhead.

?Theed.?

?What?s that??

?The capital of Naboo. Thought we?d do a little sight-seeing.?

Tahiri sighed. ?This is really, really strange. We?re on vacation?sight-seeing?in the middle of a war that we?re supposed to be fighting.?

?We?ve had this conversation before,? Jacen said with amusement.

?I know. But it?s preying on me. I feel guilty.?

Now it was Jacen?s turn to sigh. He reached out and pulled her into his arms. ?I know. I do, too. But this is where we?re supposed to be right now. And for some bizarre reason, I get the feeling we?ll be called back soon.?

She craned her neck so she could look up into his face. ?Really? Is the Force telling you that??

?Maybe.? He paused, stroking her hair out of her face. ?Baler says that Theed is one of the most beautiful cities in the galaxy?and apparently he?s seen quite a few.?

?Yes. He was a Rebel.?

?Somehow I?m not surprised. It?s supposed to be made almost entirely of marble. The queen?her name is Halia, I believe?lives in the center of the city in an enormous palace. They elect their rulers. They used to be a part of the Republic?the Old one.?

?Yeah,? Tahiri said softly.

?Baler said he has some friends here, and if we want to, we can spend the night with them.?

She laid her head on his shoulder. ?Sounds good.?

The landspeeder hit an especially big bump, and Jacen?s arms tightened, keeping her slight figure from falling onto the road. Her bare feet swung in the air, centimeters over the dusty road. ?It?s weird facing backwards.?

Jacen laughed. ?Yeah, I?m not really used to it myself. Watching everything go by the opposite way??

?Why is the driver headed for Theed??

?Some kind of market, supposedly. Baler mentioned that he?I believe that his name is Drock?goes to the city once a month with his vegetables.?

Tahiri turned around to look at them. ?Well, he should get a fairly good price. They look wonderful.?

Most of the truck-bed was filled to the brim with all kinds of brilliantly colored vegetables. Every once in a while, when the landspeeder hit a large bump, one would roll forward, and it was all Jacen could do, even with his Force-powers, to catch them.

?They?re making me hungry,? she said.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out two pieces of fruit. ?Thought you might get hungry before we got there.? He handed one piece to Tahiri, and bit into the other.

?This planet,? he said, between bites, ?is amazing. The kind you see on holo-dramas, the kind everyone wants to live on, but no one really believes exists. Everyone works hard here, but they all appear to know when to stop.? He gestured to their right. Fields stretched out on either side of them, with exotic-looking produce growing in them. Humans worked right alongside droids in the harvesting.

?It would be a good place to bring up children,? Jacen commented.

Tahiri blushed red, though she wasn?t sure why. ?I?ve heard,? she said hurriedly, ?that on the other side of the planet, there are enormous swamps and forests, and some kind of being lives there. Gungans I think they?re called. The Naboo and the Gungans used to hate each other. Then, about ten years before the Clone Wars started, they forged some kind of alliance.?

?Interesting. Maybe we?ll hear more about it in town. Baler said they have an enormous library?the only one not touched by Palpatine when he took over. Maybe we?ll find out some information about the pre-Purge Jedi.?

?That would be wonderful! I?ve been wanting to know if all this stuff Vergere taught you was the way things were before the Empire, or if it?s just stuff she?s figured out on her own after years of being with the Vong.?

Jacen shrugged. ?Don?t know. But I?d like to know, too.?

?Maybe when the war is over, we could come

14. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Chapter Fourteen

The two Jedi followed Aira through the beautiful city, down a tangle of lovely, quiet streets, past ivy-covered marble homes. The city was cool, and tranquil, the people they passed waved and smiled. Flowers seemed to be blooming everywhere, and there was water in abundance.

?This has to be the most beautiful city I?ve ever seen,? Jacen said. ?And that?s saying a lot. I?ve been all over.?

Aira smiled. ?Thank you. We love it here. Sometime we?ll take you to the other side of the city so that you can see the waterfalls.?

?Waterfalls,? Tahiri echoed. They were one of her favorite things in the galaxy. It had been an awesome sight, her first waterfall, even if it had simply been a small one on Yavin 4. But the sight of that much water, flowing freely, had taken her breath away after living on Tatooine her whole life.

?Yes. And then there?s the Library, and the Museum, and the Palace grounds itself, and the Park, the Gardens, and?? Aira trailed off laughing. ?There?s lots to see here, as you can tell. Janren and I will probably wear you out.?

?Janren?s your brother?? Jacen asked.

?Yes. He?s two years younger than me. Janren was my mother?s maiden name. He?s a student at the Political Academy.?

?He?s a politician?? Jacen asked.

Tahiri laughed. ?It?s not like you can say anything. You?re a diplomat yourself, even if you won?t admit it.? She turned to Aira. ?His sister hates politicians with a passion. But their mother is one.?

Aira smiled. ?It runs in our family. My great-aunt was actually queen of Naboo, and then a Senator for some time.?

?How interesting!? Tahiri said. ?Are you a politician, too??

Aira laughed. ?Oh, no. I have no talent or taste for it.?

?What do you do?? Jacen asked.

?I?m a sculptor.?

?You mean with marble and little chisels? That kind of sculptor?? Tahiri asked.

Aira laughed. ?I guess you could put it that way. I mostly do busts?you know, people?s faces and necks. Portraits.?

?Wow,? Tahiri said. ?So you sell them??

?I?m beginning to. I started out just doing them for family and close friends. Just because it was something that I loved to do. But I?ve sold a few?and there seems to be room for expansion, if you know what I mean. Oh, turn here.?

They rounded a corner and found themselves on a narrow side street, lined with ivy- and flower-covered buildings.

?This is it,? Aira said, nodding towards one. She led them up a short flight of stairs and opened a door.

?Mother? Janren? I?m home.? She headed through a small entry hall and dining room into a kitchen. ?Hello, Mother.?

A small, curly- dark-haired woman turned from her place at the heating unit and wiped her hands on an apron. ?Hello, dear.?

?This is my mother Ryoo Reeal. Mother, this is Tahiri Veila and Jacen Solo. They?re the ones who were staying with Baler and Aurelia. You remember.?

?Of course!? She held out her hands and shook theirs. ?How nice to meet you! You?re Jedi, are you not??

?We are,? Jacen said.

?All the more reason to welcome you.?

Tahiri laughed. ?Wow. We don?t get that a whole lot anymore.?

?So I?ve heard. But we have a history with Jedi in our family. My mother can tell you more. Why don?t you take them to see her, Aira, while I finish up dinner??

?Alright. Is Janren home yet??

?No, but he should be soon. And your father, too. Then we?ll have dinner. I hope you two like Nubian food??

Jacen nodded. ?We do. And Aurelia?s been feeding us extremely well.?

Ryoo laughed. ?Well, I?m not positive that my cuisine can compare with Aurelia?s, but I?ll try my best.?

Aira guided Jacen and Tahiri out into a large living room, with a window that overlooked a garden and backyard. There was a woman sitting in a chair, facing the window. She was tiny, ancient, with pure-white hair and classic features.

?Grandmother??

The woman turned her head and smiled slightly. ?Yes, Aira??

?We have visitors.? She prodded the two Jedi closer to the chair.

The woman held out her tiny, wrinkled hand in greeting and Tahiri stepped close

15. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Chapter Fifteen

?Where did you get that??

Tahiri looked up at Jacen for support, but he merely shrugged. ?I?found it at the bazaar,? she said slowly, not sure how else to respond.

The woman sighed a little sigh, then turned her eyes to Jacen. ?You look like him, you know. Mostly in the bone structure. And the girl has the necklace?? She trailed off and closed her eyes, sighing more deeply. ?Can it be??

Aira was chewing her bottom lip nervously, something that made her look even more like Jaina than Tahiri would have thought possible. Both of the Solo twins had that nervous habit. ?Grandmother,? she began, ?Are you alright? Do you need anything? Can I get you something??

The woman waved her away impatiently. ?Leave me alone, child. Can?t you see this is important?? She motioned Jacen forward, and he pulled Tahiri with him, her hand in his. ?Yes, you look a little like him. And you?ve got a little of her in you as well. In the eyes. His were blue. You?re built like him; he was so tall.?

?Grandmother?? Aira started again, but the older woman interrupted her. ?Go get your mother. She saw him. I want to know if she remembers him?them. Both of them.?

Casting anxious looks over her shoulder, Aira disappeared into the kitchen. Tahiri was shifting nervously under the woman?s gaze, which now came to rest on her. ?No, you don?t look like either one of them. Not at all. Just the boy.?

?Ma?am,? Jacen began, his voice tight and controlled as always; Jacen was always in control. ?Ma?am??

He was cut off when Ryoo appeared at the door. ?Mother, what?s the matter??

?Oh, there you are, little one. Tell me, don?t you think he looks like him? Or do you remember him??

?Him?? Confusion was written all over Ryoo?s face. Then realization dawned. ?Oh. Him.? Now it was her turn to study Jacen, and surprise filled her Force-presence. This whole family blazed in the Force in a totally different way than the Jedi; like Han Solo or Wedge Antilles, Tahiri had noticed. Ryoo continued, ?I do remember him?a little?and he does.?

Jacen spoke up. ?Ma?am, I?m sorry, but what are you talking about??

Ryoo sighed and beckoned for them to be seated. Her mother piped up again, ?We?re talking about him, of course. The Jedi.?

Tahiri had no clue what the senile woman was talking about, but Jacen?s brow was furrowed in concentration, as though the pieces were there, but he simply couldn?t fit them together correctly so he could see the picture.

Ryoo patted her mother on the shoulder, asking for silence. ?My aunt?her name was Padme?she married an offworlder, a Jedi. Jedi weren?t supposed to marry?I?m sure you two know that?but they did, secretly. Then the Empire took over, and Padme fought against them?diplomatically, of course. She was in great danger, we all knew that. And one day, she simply?disappeared. Left in the middle of the night, with another Jedi. We have reason to think she went to Alderaan; she was good friends with the Senator there. We think she was pregnant, but we have no clue what happened to her, or to her child, if she had him.? She sighed. ?Nor do we know what happened to her husband. He disappeared as well, once the War started. His name was??

?Anakin Skywalker,? her mother said, matter-of-factly, as though any person would know his name.

Tahiri suddenly felt lightheaded, and a glance at Jacen saw the blood draining from his head. He was so pale, and he reached out to grip the arm of the chair; turning his knuckles white. He took a shuddered breath, and passed his other hand over his face. ?Anakin Skywalker? Are you sure??

?You?ve heard of him?? Ryoo asked with surprise. ?What happened to him??

?He?fell to the Dark Side. He became Darth Vader. He?was my grandfather.?

The three generations of women all gave identical gasps, and all their faces turned almost as white as Jacen?s. Tahiri was sure that the world was spinning.

?What?? Ryoo murmured.

?My mother was raised as the daughter of Bail Organa on Alderaan?you mentioned him, I think. She became part of the Rebel Alliance, and sh

16. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Chapter Sixteen

The two Jedi and the Reeals spent a very happy hour and a half swapping stories about their respective families. It never ceased to amaze Tahiri that Anakin Skywalker had been a decent, if not normal, human being, who, though he had killed billions, had also loved and laughed and lived. It made her glad that to know that her Anakin had been named for someone who had not always been evil. Ryoo was thrilled to hear about her cousins. And when Sola actually seemed aware of what was going on, she also was interested in the stories of Leia and Luke.

The sun was sinking low, washing the Reeals? garden in a deep golden light when they finally headed indoors. Jacen caught Ryoo?s arm. ?Tahiri and I are going to go on a walk. Is that alright with you??

Ryoo grinned broadly, and her smile dimly reminded Tahiri of Leia. ?You two go right ahead. We?ll leave the door unlocked. Aira and I will make up beds for you. You can have Padme?s room, Tahiri. I think she would like that.?

The two Jedi expressed their thanks and then headed out of the small gate of the garden, hand in hand. ?Force, I wish Mom could be here,? Jacen said. ?Can you imagine how thrilled she would be? I can?t wait to tell her who we?ve found, but I don?t know?I don?t want to tell her over the holocomm.?

?I can understand that.? They turned a corner, wandering through the quiet streets, beneath the arches of stone, and walls covered with vines. Even from here they could faintly hear sound of distant waterfalls. ?It would come as a shock to her I know, and it might be better if you told her face-to-face.?

?I feel wrong being here, knowing she isn?t. Which brings up the subject of when Uncle Luke?s going to call us back.?

?Do you think it?ll be sometime soon??

?Probably. We?ve been here several weeks already. Surely he thinks that?s enough time for us to do whatever we were supposed to do here.?

Tahiri laughed. ?I don?t ever want to leave, but I do feel so out of it here. I want to see all of the other Jedi, and be sure they?re safe. But, as soon as the war?s over, I?m coming back here.?

?We?re coming back here,? Jacen corrected, drawing a blush from Tahiri. ?And bringing our family with us.?

Tahiri noticed his use of the plural possessive. Our family, she thought. Did they really think of her as part of the family. She knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that had Anakin lived, she would been, eventually. And here was Jacen, offering her that future, in a totally different way. And she had to admit that she yearned for a family, and had since her parents had died.

?You are one of us, Veil,? Jacen said, sensing her thoughts. ?No matter what. You?and Kyp, too?you?re Solos, if not in name.? Yet.

She heard the unspoken word and once again found herself blushing. ?You have no idea what that means to me. And I?m sure I can?t imagine what knowing about your grandmother will do for your family.? She played with the japor necklace with her free hand.

?Yes. And I can?t wait to see them. As terrible as she?s been acting lately, Jaina?s a part of me and being away from her?hurts me in a way. And I had so little time with Mom and Dad after I got back. Ben got so big while I was?away, and I?m sure he?s half grown by now. Heck, I even miss Threepio and Artoo.?

Tahiri laughed. ?Me, too. Force, when will the war be over and we can all be together again??

He smiled sadly, and as always, there was that something in his eyes that let her know he was thinking of his captivity. ?I don?t know, but I wish I did.? They were now circling back and heading towards the Reeal?s home. ?But?I?ve always thought that if we saw the future in an absolute way, instead of just as a possibility, we would never be able to face it. Do you know what I mean??

She nodded. ?Yes, and I tend to agree with you. But in cases like this, I can?t help but??

?No, of course you can?t. No one can.? He led her up the steps to the house and opened the door. ?But for now we must be with content with what we have right

17. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Chapter Seventeen

There was so much to see and do before they left Naboo, and so little time in which to do them. Tahiri wanted to soak it all in, so that she would be able to treasure it all in her heart. She wanted to keep the magic of these weeks with her always?the beauty of this planet and its people, the perfectness of sharing it with Jacen.

For the first time since Anakin?s death, the hollowness was gone, the emptiness filled with the knowledge of how much Jacen loved and cherished her.

The day after Master Skywalker?s comm.-call, Aira took the two young Jedi to the Theed Library. It was a massive, marble domed building and was filled with floor-to-ceiling shelves. Holo-chips, datablocks, and old-fashioned bound books stretched as far as the eye could see. For a reason she could not fathom, it excited her. There was so much information here, so many stories?and like every daughter of the Sand People, she loved stories. She dashed from shelf to shelf, dragging Jacen along behind her, flipping through books, fingertips tingling with excitement.

The decision came to her slowly, creeping up on her. It took her some time to verbalize it. ?I think,? she announced slowly, ?that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.?

He waited, she?d known he would, not pressing her for elaboration, content to know what she would tell him. ?There?s so much Jedi lore here. Someone could spend their whole life searching in just this building. And then there?s the University Library that?s almost as big as this one?? She grabbed Jacen?s hands, his grin growing at the same rate as her excitement. ?Jacen, Tionne won?t be around forever. I?m not a warrior, not without Anakin. I want to collect the Jedi stories.?

She could tell by his eyes and the Force that he was happy for her. ?That?s perfect,? he said, bringing her hands up to his lips and kissing them tenderly, ?because last night I had an idea.? He led her to a bench and they sat down. ?After the War, the Jedi won?t be able to go back to Yavin 4. but we?re going to need a place to be together, a place to heal. What better place than here??

?Bring the Praxeum here??

?Yes. This is where I want to be.?

?Realization dawned. ?So you want to teach at the Praxeum??

He nodded. ?I have so much I want to share. The next generation of Jedi are going to rise from what?s left of ours. You remember what I told you about who I am??

?You?re a student and a teacher. Jacen, that?s perfect for you! And we?? She stopped, blushing.

But he finished for her, after dropping a kiss on her lips. ?We can be together.?

That made her think. She hadn?t realized that she could no longer imagine a future without him. Whether she looked to tomorrow or twenty years down the line, he was there, a constant presence, a constant comfort, a constant love. Before she?d come to Naboo, the future stretched into an eternity of loneliness and pain without Anakin. Even thinking of the next day scared her to death. But Jacen had given her love and hope and a future. He had helped her to discover who she was and just like he said when you began to discover who you are, you stop being afraid. His love had cast out her fear.

The joy of that knowledge bubbled up inside her as she and Jacen caught their first sight of the Waterfalls. Aira had led them down to the valley on the other side of the city. Now they stood far below it, staring up at the endless pouring pounding water tumbling down. The roaring filled her ears and the mist brushed gently against her cheeks.

?It?s beautiful,? she whispered. No one but another Jedi would have heard it, but Jacen squeezed her hand and nodded. Tahiri didn?t think she?d ever seen anything so beautiful. Water in large amounts always amazed her. This was something like seeing the ocean for the first time back on Mon Cal.

Aira had plopped down on the grass, sketching, telling them she wanted to see if she could sculpt the Falls, capture the fluid, living movement in stone.

Tahiri tugged on Jacen?s hand and gestured to a bolder some distance

18. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Wonderful! It's continuing. :D

~~Jilly

19. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
  20. Deneveon

Deneveon Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I've always been meaning to catch up on this, but procrastination got the best of me :p So anyway. I did manage to catch up and all I can say is...

Bravissimo!

:D

--Den

21. Wild_Phoenix

Wild_Phoenix Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2003
    Hey, nice to see this story being picked up again. You are gonna finish this one, right?

*peers*

Good...making sure.

22. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    It's so wonderful you've decided to finish this fic, Jaina. i'll re-add thos new link to the archive ;)

She looked down at her hands clasped in his for a long moment. Then she met his intense brandy gaze. ?Jacen, I love you.?

He stared at her for a long moment; she couldn?t read him. But then something exploded in the Force, like a supernova and it was reflected on his face. She found that she was laughing, and so was he as he rocked her back and forth in his arms. And Tahiri knew that morning had dawned in her soul.

i just love jacen and tahiri together, they're so sweet.

~aeryn

23. ratherkissawookie

ratherkissawookie Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2002
    What's this? A post? About time, Firecracker. Good work!

24. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Den- You've been meaning to catch up; I've been meaning to continue... :D Thanks!

Wild_Phoenix- [face_blush] Yes, I'm going to finish this one! I just needed a break from it for a bit...

Aeryn- Thanks! They are, aren't they? [face_love]

wookie- Thanks!

Post later this week!

25. Ireth_Tasartir

Ireth_Tasartir Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2003
    I have just read this and it's wonderful... :D

I need more!!!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.