main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Joystick not detected" error in Xvt...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by ScreaminSteve, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScreaminSteve

ScreaminSteve Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2005
    Hey all! I was wondering if there is a fix for this error? Am running Windows XP and a usb joystick. Balance of Power detects the stick but I would like to be able to play XvT over my network. I have researched this for about a week and have hit many dead ends - kinda at wits end here!
    Any and all help appreciated!

2. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    I had a similar problem.
    You should try Windown compatibility mode. Open your XvT directory. Leftclick the xvt.exe file, open properities, go to compatibility and then try to run in with Win95 or Win98 mode. It worked in my case.

3. ScreaminSteve

ScreaminSteve Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2005
    Unfortunately, tried it myself and it didn't for me. ThanX anyway, though!

4. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Hmmm I wonder if there is a help thread in the Index that jp-30 already made?

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Not for this game / operating system, no.

6. ShadowStoneKat

ShadowStoneKat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2004
    I believe there's a patch on LucasFiles.com

7. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    "Joystick not detected"

I hate to be the one to tell you this... but, You're probably a girl

8. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    running Windows XP and a usb joystick

DirectX 5 allows you to install multiple devices in the joystick control panel. If you install more than one device, make sure the joystick you want to use for X-WING vs. TIE FIGHTER is set up as the FIRST DEVICE. To check this setting, go to the Windows 95 control panel, double-click on Game Controllers, then click on the Advanced tab in the Game Controllers window. Your joystick should be listed next to Controller ID 1. X-WING vs. TIE FIGHTER will respond only to that device.

I know that says Win95 and DirectX 5, but I bet that could be your problem, the First Device thing. I don't have any USB stuff on this computer, and its late, so I'm sure someone else can tell you how to fix that in XP

9. unimatrix

unimatrix Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2005
    Its most likely the first device error as mentioned before. However, I'd also make sure your drivers are installed. I had this problem and tried getting the latest drivers for my joystick and then it worked.

10. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    In XP, what you can also do is go to Control Panel, Game Controllers, and click the "Advanced" button, which will call up a dialog that says something like "Select the device you want to use with older programs." Select the stick from the drop-down list, "OK" both dialogs, and exit Control Panel. To be on the safe side, you should also reboot.

Another thing you can try is unplugging all other game controllers (i.e. gamepads), even those on legacy game ports. This should help XvT "find" the stick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.