main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JSP

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Night4554, Feb 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I have to learn it for a client. From what I gather (haven't started learning it) it's similar to ASP, but incorporates itself well with Java.

But is it closer to Java or ASP? And is an Object-Oriented Language or just free scripting like PHP/ASP?

¤Night

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well it's like ASP or PHP, but it's not that it only incorporates well into Java, it's part of Java (JSP was also created by SUN), a specification built for doing web work. So yes to your questions: it close to Java because it forms part of it (Java as defined as all the technologies like Servlets, Beans, the core Java language itself, etc.), it is object oriented because of that.

Not sure what you mean by free scripting, though both ASP and PHP have object oriented facilties. If you men free as in price, Sun provides it via Java Enterprise Edition I belive, and also the Apache Foundation has Jakarta which allows you to run JSP and servlets.

Probably the best explanation is from the sample chapter of the O'Reilly book, before I mangle the explanation (since I know very little of JSP itself):

JSP Overview, Part 1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.