main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Comics JTTLJ: The Legends of Luke Skywalker

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Apr 14, 2017.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yay! My copy has despatched!

(Via BookDepository)

2. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    SPOILERS

3. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I've been reading Star Wars books since '91. This was probably my favourite book so far in the whole Star Wars saga. I absolutely loved it :)

Stymi likes this.
  4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I've got this book arriving on Tuesday. Along with a copy of a biography of Ulysses S. Grant and a book about the friendship turned rivalry turned friendship of Adams & Jefferson. I've decided to give Luke top billing, I hope he doesn't disappoint!

--Adm. Nick

5. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I honestly don't think it will. I've absolutely loved this book :)

6. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001

Sounds like they kept one of the best moments from Dark Empire.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I will be most interested in how you respond to one section of the book - I'm expecting outrage.

Yes, I've just finished reading this and it is excellent.

In a way it also demonstrates why Snoke fears Skywalker. Luke's tale has spread across the galaxy, taken on a thousand forms and it can never be completely killed, which, for an organisation like the First Order, is deadly indeed.

EDIT: Some further comments
    You could read the first story and be utterly offended by Redy's tale and it may be that the reader is indeed encouraged to be so, until the last few pages, which flip the story completely. It does this by demonstrating what the Rebellion was fought for. This in turn then turns Redy's tale back on her. Why does Redy need to tear down the stories with what she deemed the far lesser, grubbier versions? Because if those stories are true, then what does it render her life choices by comparison? It sets an impossible bar, easier to take refuge in conspiracy stories.

The tale of Jakku, foreworded by a most apt Qui-Gon quote is another clever story. Everything the Imperial relates is both true and not, depending on your focus. His initiual thoughts on the battle of Jakku are of note too, that the Empire was orderly and the Rebels not, which conflicts with Rax's orders entirely, but allows the Imperial to feel better about it all. Similarly the notion that Jakku was not 'fair'? What would be fair then? The Empire chose the battlefield, had all the time to prepare, what was not fair about it? That you lost? In this thinking you can see the as-yet-unborn First Order mentality.

The tale on Lew'el is equally smart, as Luke looks into an entirely different way of understanding the Force. The only weakness in this one was Kallia's hostility to Luke.

I,Droid is a superb tale of Luke and R2 on a mission to save other droids from those who would enslave and corrupt them.

The flea-mote tale is a comedy affair but a fun read.

The last tale winds things up very effectively, with Luke and a biologist ending up in the belly of an exogorth!

In many ways these stories embody Tashu's comment in Aftermath that Luke is 'untouchable' to the dark side.

8. Dominick1216

Dominick1216 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2013
    Was
    Darth Vader or the Emperor mentioned at all in the book?

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, not that I recall.

Dominick1216 likes this.
  10. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    Can’t wait to receive my copy next week! I don’t know why I feel so excited for this one.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I'm getting this digitally and can't wait! I'm gonna do some serious (book) binging for TLJ since I need to read Phasma as well.

12. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    I'm very much enjoying this so far.

13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Wrong!
    There was a conspiracy theory Jar Jar and Vader were the same person.
    :)

It's funny because it's true.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

sheri1967 likes this.
  14. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I find the book entertaining but don’t love it. I am through the first two stories. Would have liked stories about Luke’s actual exploits more than the story about stories of the exploits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Picked it up today and started reading....all I have to say...That 1st story....[face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

J_K_DART likes this.
  16. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    So far so good. The first story was different, but I kinda liked it for some reason :)

17. sir PING1

sir PING1 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2014
    Loved the third and sixth stories, I really want more of Luke travelling the galaxy researching and learning more about the Force.

After this more books going forward should have original artwork within, really thought it help set the stage before reading a chapter.

Also did the book come with a dust jacket? Because mine didn't.

J_K_DART and kalzeth like this.
  18. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I've only read the first story, and I wanted to jump into the book and punch Redy in the face, or at least give her a tin foil hat.

19. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    So the thing is, how true--or canon--are these stories? I imagine the intent is that the question is supposed to be left up in the air for some time, but I can definitely see someone coming back in the future in some sort of new guidebook to offer a little more confirmation on the "true" details.

20. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    So does anyone know how I can get the Kindle version of this book in the UK? There's no kindle version listed on the UK Amazon site, and while the US site does have the Kindle version (priced higher than the hardbook version, which is weird) I cannot seem to purchase it.

21. HispAnakin

HispAnakin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 16, 2017
    Listening to it now, not a fan of Jan Lavoy as a reader but the stories are interesting. I'd still like true stories about Luke during post RoTJ but I'm sure Di$ney knows how to milk it out over the next 10+ years.

Shadowrain10 likes this.
  22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I wanted to add this to an Amazon UK order today but it wasn't in stock yet. I'll check the local Waterstones in town next week and see if they have it.

J_K_DART likes this.
  23. sheri1967

sheri1967 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2006
    I just finished the book. It was very good.

24. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    Sad but true. I do hope that we get more stories about Luke post-ROTJ.

kalzeth likes this.
  25. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    If it's anything like the other YA SW novels like Lost Stars, Ahsoka etc, they probably won't do a kindle version in the UK unless it's in German bizarrely.