main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ju Jitsu Gi for Jedi costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dhamian-Khuen, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dhamian-Khuen

Dhamian-Khuen Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    Hi everyone

After having watched a number of the padawan costumes, and even Obi Wan's costume from EP3, I realized that the attire really looks alot like the ju jitsu gi that I wear for class if you put a solid color t-shirt underneath. Currently I'm working on the brown over vest, robe and a black sash to go with it.

Just thought I'd drop it by as an easy, affordable way to make jedi costumes.

Been considering Pleather (or whatever that fake, cheesy leather is called) to make the sash instead to make it look more like the ones in AotC but I dunnow if I like the contrast with the brown over vest.

And considering, some of the prices for material and labor, it can actually be cheap. I paid $59 for the gi (which was necessary for my class lol) which makes up for most of the outfit right there. I think I paid like $35 for 4 feet of brown material (for the over vest) and 1 foot of black material for the sash

2. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    The Jedi costumes all have an Asian influence, as do the styles of lightsaber combat. As a martial artist, picking those little influences out is one of the best parts of Star Wars.

3. THE-GRAY-GHOST-JEDI

THE-GRAY-GHOST-JEDI Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2005
    you can get away wit most martial arts uniforms to use and mod into a jedi costume i used a black karate gi and just put on some tabards and my jedi belt

4. Koza_Toragh

Koza_Toragh Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2004
    Since the Jdi stuff is usually tan or a tannish white, you could put die in with a plain white unmarked uniform in the washer. Probably a bad idea, but I've only heard of it, I don't actaully know if this would work.

edit: ok, I have confermation from the sewing maniack (my mom) that it is possible to do this, but you have to use a speical kind of die so as to not hurt your washer. Other wise, you should just do it by hand.

5. setra

setra Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2005
    I just used my ninja gi for part of my sith outfit.

6. Holocron_Collector

Holocron_Collector Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2001
    I used my gi for my ANH Luke last Halloween, I think they're ok. The only problem is the stitching on the lapels is a little extreme.

7. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    My experience with wearing ji jitsu gis is that they're thick and they're frikkin' hot! So if you go that route, maybe try to find a lightweight gi.

8. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    There are some Tae Kwon Do uniforms that would work, too, just be careful not to get the one that goes over the head. The wraparound one works better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.