main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY July 10th and 11th at the Ziegfeld?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by MysterySith, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobajames

bobajames Jedi Master star 3

May 6, 2002
    I love you guys and I love the movie....but i plan on seeing my last 2 shows rite where i belong in section Orch row M set 108
    (i got the tix).
    but what i think that was being pointed out was itz o.k. to clap or cheer at times but not all the time or just 4 the hell of it...and we ( row M'ers ) don't talk as much as we used to, we just mimic or move like they r on the screen...barly a word comes out from us....and also most of u have not been there for our shows so u would not know this unless someone had told u....

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I don't even own a cell phone, because I'm still under the impression all those guys who carry them in their pockets or on belt clips are going to develop cancer of the unmentionables & it'll be up to me, as the lone fertile man left on earth, to repopulate the plant. But thanks to those with class enough to turn them off or leave them at home. If it's on vibrate, there's still a chance you'll be tempted to answer it. Then start talking, or get up in the row to speak in the lobby, forcing others to get up in the row & disrupt the people around you. And on & on.

ROFL! That's the best excuse I've ever ever heard for not getting a cell phone... :D

And I've never seen someone with a cell phone on vibrate actually answer it in the theater, but your point is well taken.

I actually got horrified last Wednesday when I saw MIIB and realized afterwards I had forgotten to turn my cell phone off. I didn't get a call, but was horrifed to even know I *could* have... :)

3. Robnhud

Robnhud Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    <<I don't even own a cell phone, because I'm still under the impression all those guys who carry them in their pockets or on belt clips are going to develop cancer of the unmentionables & it'll be up to me, as the lone fertile man left on earth, to repopulate the plant.>>

Doesn't matter, microwave ovens are going to kill us all in 30 years anyway. ;)

~R

4. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    We are not planning to do anything that is tantamount to the sacrilegious acts you described. all those who want to be themselves, come join us in the Balcony.

Exactly. We arent sacrificing chickens or lambs or anything... Geeze....

Doesn't anyone notice the "Please, no talking" screen shown before movies? It really is shown for a reason.

Oh, & if anyone brings a cell phone & doesn't bother to shut it off, I'm crackin skulls.

I think they mean like no talking like you would in a normal setting. Like a store, the telephone, etc. And i am the same way with cell phones....

Would anybody ever go to St. Patrick's Cathedral and do a "Rocky Horror" Mass,

Now THERE'S and idea!!!!!!!!!

I'll bring the wine :) And can i play the priest?

Then moving to the balcony to MST3K the HELL outta it with whoever else wants to come back there!
    :)

there's a slight difference between reacting to the film and being wholly disruptive.

Exactly, and what we "bad" people plan on doing is reacting to the usual things.. WOW, CCP, etc. Wholly disruptive is cell phones ringing, people screaming, screaming at the screen, babys crying......

Though in a perfect world no one should ever make noise in a movie theater, it happens. That's just a consequence of seeing the movie in a theater with other human beings

Its a movie theater! It is a public place. While is it not absoutly nessicary to be quiet in the movies, it is societies view that you have to shut your mouth because its the proper and repectable thing to do. Although there are alot of people who dont abide by societies standards.

Uhhhh, since I'm not gonna be at the movie (or religious service, depending on your views)

....all those not having fun with us row balcany-ers, make sure you bow before you take your seats. And dont forget to wear your sunday best!

excitement. Jubiliant behavior related to seeing the movie

EXACTLY! Its Star Wars for crying out loud! So if it is sooooo special, people should be rejoiceful, and want to rocky horror it when they can and have fun at the theater, throw popcorn or whatever.... because it is Star Wars and its special. I love Star Wars like the next person, but seriously, if you need to see Star wars in PERFECT silence, or feel that reciting lines here and there is bad or disruptive and it bothers you a WHOLE lot, and you get angry and defenssive when people say they are gonna recite lines and talk durning the movie.... then talk to me and i'll give you the name of a good therapist or something....Cause theres something wrong with you then if you cant have alittle Star Wars fun...ITS A MOVIE for crying out loud! Star Wars or not, its a M-O-V-I-E.

See you in the balcany tonight....hey Will...I'll bring the chicken ;)

Edit: To respace

5. Admiral12

Admiral12 Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2000
    After stopping by the msg boards today, I'm glad I decided to see AOTC at the Zieg one more time tonight at 6:45. I didn't know it was the last night for the movie there.

I don't have my ticket yet. Is this going to be one of those crazy long line situations where I need to leave work now to wait in line? Or can I just show up at 6 and get a ticket?

Anyone know if they've fixed the A/C at the theater so we can watch AOTC in all its digital glory?

As tempted as I am to join the MST3Kers in the back, I think I'll opt for a seat closer to the action and keep my comments to myself. I'll have the DVD in my hands in five months so I can make fun of it then.

6. Moeskywalker64

Moeskywalker64 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    "I don't even own a cell phone, because I'm still under the impression all those guys who carry them in their pockets or on belt clips are going to develop cancer of the unmentionables & it'll be up to me, as the lone fertile man left on earth, to repopulate the plant."

I keep it in my backpack...since I have the same "concerns" :D

BTW I hope to garner a seat in the coveted row M...so I really need to know if I should get tickets off Moviefone or can I get them at like 7PM???

7. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    See you in the balcany tonight....hey Will...I'll bring the chicken

Woo! But I'm not into the live sacrifice thing. I'll bring a bucket of Popeye's extra spicy. ;)

8. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    Can we PLEASE show a little respect for some people's religion here. I AM catholic and I don't care for the analogies and joking in this thread.

I won't be there tonight either. I have decided to go to the beach where my family and I can make as much noise as we want and let our cell phone ring off the hook :)

9. bobajames

bobajames Jedi Master star 3

May 6, 2002
    what is the matter...someone asked for his last show at the to b calm and tamed....what is that worng...should he not of had asked that from other "star wars fans"....

10. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    There is no need to brag, LS! :p

11. thechairguy

thechairguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    I won't be going tonight because I've scored an advance copy of Bruce Springsteen's new CD. Yessah!

12. DruKalita

DruKalita Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2002
    Can we PLEASE show a little respect for some people's religion here. I AM catholic and I don't care for the analogies and joking in this thread.

The analogy's pretty stupid anyway. Star Wars is a movie, a hobby, a pasttime. It's great, but I doubt any of us believes that we're going to meet Yoda when we die. Though I wouldn't mind. ;-)

That being said, I think we all need to chill a bit. It's the last night - let's have some fun and stop worrying so much.

EDIT: This post was not meant to offend anyone and I really don't want to get into an argument. (Just to make that CLEAR.)

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think I should do what we did at our fraternity meetings when debates got out of hand...

I demand that this be settled by GLADIATORIAL COMBAT!!!

:D

14. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    Count me out too. Since my mom broke her arm and all, I promised to help around the house and stuff. And since she's been home all week, she noticed lots of stuff I can help around with the next couple of nights. I at least have to help out with some cookin' and cleaning and stuff. So, wish ya all well.

Mike C.

15. SJLinNYC

SJLinNYC Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2000
    Boy, was I wrong! I was thinking that I could go to the "Star Wars" NYC Alliance boards on The Force.Net and express my opinions about "Star Wars" fandom. But in different posts, I've been told that my opinions were unnecessary, I'm selfish for expecting people in a movie theater to keep their verbal responses appropriate to the occasion, and that my passion for "Star Wars" makes me a candidate for therapy. And elsewhere online, I've been called a Sicko by one of the contributors to this forum because I have chosen to see "Attack of the Clones" more than 15 times in the theater. (Does that rule of 15 hold for all the "Star Wars" films, or just AOTC?)

SWNYC, according to its own web site, is supposed to "insure open communication among fans." I realize my first post in this thread was angry and over the top. But I never expected people here to be so close-minded and judgmental. We all find different ways to express our love of "Star Wars." Some people write fan fiction. Some people wear costumes. Some people think that cheering for a Wet Obi-Wan or Climate-Controlled Padme is appropriate; I happen to think it breaks the mood that George Lucas is trying to set at those points in the film.

It's great when people cheer for certain characters or situations; in fact, it heightens the experience, which is why so many of us enjoy opening night. It's in-keeping with the tone Lucas is attempting to set. But cheering is very different from "MST3K-ing" the film, the notion of which sparked the angry red post. "MST3K" always mocked inferior films, and I don't believe "Attack of the Clones" is inferior. That association, to me, equalled disrespect for "Star Wars."

That was what I was speaking against in my initial post. It was never intended to imply a sense of entitlement at the Ziegfeld. It was to voice shock and dismay that somebody might take the last Ziegfeld show and turn it into something disrespectful to the film and its fans.

Obviously, some people took that post as a personal attack, and replied accordingly. But in a "Star Wars" fan forum, nobody has the right to say that one person's feelings towards a disrespect of "Star Wars" are indicative of mental illness. Not only is it wholly inappropriate, but it violates the rules of conduct stating "all users here should respect one another's opinions and beliefs."

Even if you don't feel compelled to respect your fellow Ziegfeld patrons, you should show some respect for your fellow "Star Wars" fans and their opinions in this forum. Otherwise, you are acting contrary to the rules of this forum and the SWNYC mission statement.

Edited out a link a request-MS

16. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    What exactly is MST3K?

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What exactly is MST3K?

Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Where a mad scientist took his "guinea pig" human and tried to destroy his mind by making him watch the worst sci-fi movies imaginable. He survived by mocking the movies with his robot companions. :)

And Steve has a point -- MST3K'ing movies is usually reserved for "inferior" movies (or midnight showings of most movies). And I think we'll all agree AOTC is not inferior. :D

18. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    As you are entitled to your own personal opinions, so am i. And that is my personal opinion. Dont like it, dont read it.

look a DISCLAIMER!
    The opinions, views, and various other sentiments stated in this journal are those of the journal's author. If you dont like what you read, dont read it. End of story. If you are reading this to gain information to blackmail me, or your gonna try to use stuff from here to ruin my "reputation" you better go look elsewhere.

Some of the entries in this journal have adult language. Reader discreation is advised.

P.S. - If anyone has some opinion or something, about what i write, find me tonight and say it personally to my face....

19. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    "And Steve has a point -- MST3K'ing movies is usually reserved for "inferior" movies (or midnight showings of most movies). And I think we'll all agree AOTC is not inferior."

I agree...I thought it was a good thing :)

20. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    "Isn't that illegal? Or were you recording the 24 hours spent on the line and not the movie?"

No no no, I didn't bring it into the theater! Hehe, they never would have allowed that. In fact, they got mad at me just for recording the outside of the theater! I did it anyway though, just more carefully, and they never said anything about it until 3 hours before the movie started, so that made it easier. Then I put the camcorder away before I went into the auditorium (about an hour early just to be safe).

I do not approve of illegal bootlegging at all. I am sorry, but I DO NOT respect anyone's opinion who thinks that is an acceptable way to watch Star Wars. If you want to see the movie, you PAY to go see it in theaters UNTIL it is out on VHS and DVD, then you can watch it all you want. Otherwise, you have two options: 1) Pay to see it over and over again as I do or 2) Don't see it at all. Bootlegging is just unacceptable. No real Star Wars fan would cheat Lucasfilm and all of their staff and other Star Wars fans by not paying to see the movie and instead ripping it off.

As for the analogies between religion, like Catholicism, and Star Wars, well I think they serve quite well actually. Although I do not think Yoda is going to visit me when I die, LOL, to me, Star Wars is exactly like religion is to a Catholic. I spend a lot of my time devoted to Star Wars, it is deeply important to me and I would defend it at all costs, and it has shaped my life in no small way. The movies have been inspirational. Religion has never done anything for me except waste my time. The difference here is that Star Wars never pretends to be real. It's all just a great, mythological STORY that is all fiction. Religion is also all fiction, it's even less believable than Star Wars, yet it all pretends to be totally real, non-fiction. There's another word for that: NON-sense. Until I find a reason to believe in any of the ludicrous religions out there, I'll stick with Star Wars thank you very much.

That is not to say that I don't respect people who believe in some religion. That is their deal. I have plenty of friends who are religious and it never bothers me. Everyone has the right to think whatever they want, which is the beauty of the USA. Well, and if you're not from the country (though this is an NYC forum), the beauty of the Internet I suppose.

21. JediRob

JediRob Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 1999
    SJL, I agree with you 100%.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The opinions, views, and various other sentiments stated in this journal are those of the journal's author. If you dont like what you read, dont read it. End of story. If you are reading this to gain information to blackmail me, or your gonna try to use stuff from here to ruin my "reputation" you better go look elsewhere.

Some of the entries in this journal have adult language. Reader discreation is advised.

I think I bent my Wookie...

?[face_plain]

Ummmm, what journal are we talking about on this thread now?

23. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    Religion is also all fiction, it's even less believable than Star Wars, yet it all pretends to be totally real, non-fiction. There's another word for that: NON-sense. Until I find a reason to believe in any of the ludicrous religions out there, I'll stick with Star Wars thank you very much.

I am atheist, but I find your attack on religion in poor taste. I'm sure the religious among us would agree. Belief in God may not be a part of yours or my life, but it is a part of the lives of many fans who read these boards.

I ask you to edit your post. Thanks!

24. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Are you all aware that discussion of religion is not allowed on this forum?

25. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    What really baffles me, is how this thread has 74 posts when it is SOOOO pointless...its always the pointless posts that get all the attention....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.