July 12 - Kids day - 501st - Calgary Stampede

Discussion in 'Calgary, AB' started by DrHaggis, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
    We have been kindly asked to troop with the 501st at the Calgary Stampede BMO Kids' day event on July 12

They need names and numbers ASAP so chime in here.

From the Badlands thread

-------------------------------------------------
    Event Type : OPEN EVENT - Exhibition
    Arrival time : 6:30AM
    Event Start : 7:30AM
    Event Contact: Helen Ellis

Once again, BADLANDS GARRISON has been invited to be part of the Calgary Stampede Kid's Day Breakfast. This has always been a popular event, even with the early start! (God, another one!)
    This was great fun last year gang, so let's get some big numbers out to this! Book the morning off now if you can!

Timeline is as follows:

6:30 ? 7:30 am ? Mascots to check in at the lounge inside the Central South end of the Grandstand building. This area will also serve as the change area.
    6:30 ? 7:00 am ? We kick off the morning with a thank you breakfast for the volunteers in the Grandstand Courtyard. Your mascot and attendant are welcome to attend
    7:00 ? 7:30 am ? Mascots are asked to change and be ready for the gates to open at 7:30
    7:30 ? 10:00 am ? Mascots to entertain and mingle with the children in the breakfast lines and in front of the show stage

I know this is a weekday gang... but it's an early one. Let's try to get some good numbers out for this. It's always great fun.

2. BH-7113 Jedi Knight

star 1
    TONS of kids....Be-careful out there...[:D]
  3. ravencrow666 Jedi Knight

star 1
  4. echosevin Force Ghost

star 4
    Let me attempt to get the morning off...I'll let you know in the next day or so.
  5. BH-7113 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Again...There is no try!!![face_alien_1]
  6. Jordain Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'll be there...booked the day off work awhile ago hoping that we would be invited again this year. :) It's going to be an early morning!
  7. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'll be there!

Yeehaw!
    Jen
  8. Darth_Corro Jedi Master

star 2
    Damn, I envy you guys. One day, I will have the costume I have always wanted...oh yes, one day...
  9. SithatHeart Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm hoping to have the morning off to participate. See you there!
  10. echosevin Force Ghost

star 4
    I'll be there too! Should we arrange to meet at the south entrance and all go in together??
  11. Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I DO have that day off, but I work the night before, and would have to get up by no later than 0330hrs, to get there in time.

Oh well. Have fun everyone. Someone eat some pancakes for me!
  12. echosevin Force Ghost

star 4
    Fantastic time this morning! LOADS of fun - kids are awesome! The highlight of my morning was being asked for my autograph (Anakin obliged) but the low point was a lady calling me 'Captain Uhura'???!! [face_laugh]

Much thanks to the 501st for inviting us out:D Can't wait to do it again next year!!
  13. ShatirLavan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sounds like you guys had fun. But who is Captain Uhura?
  14. PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Uhura is the communications officer from the original Star Trek with Kirk.
  15. SithatHeart Jedi Knight

star 1
    Kids' Day was so much fun! I recommend that if people can take the time off next year, that everyone with a costume attend.

I think the best part of the day was getting hugged by little kids. That plastic suit is not very soft or cuddly, but I still got hugs.

I think the worst part (but still the funniest part - I know a couple people who are still chuckling) was the guy who told me he thought I was "such a cute little stormtrooper" and that he wanted photos with the "littlest stormtrooper he'd ever seen". Grrr... if only that gun really worked!

I don't know if a lot of folks were around at the very end, but one of the organizers told us that we had done a great job and asked us to come back again next year. I'm totally in!!!
  16. veritate Jedi Knight

star 2
    No. Commander Uhura was the communications officer from the original Star Trek with Kirk.

Captain has to be her older sister... or something.
  17. echosevin Force Ghost

star 4
    What are you trying to say, Veritate??? [face_tired] [face_mischief]

First - she was on STAR TREK
    Second - her uniform was a MINI SKIRT or MINI-DRESS
    Third - she was NEVER a captain. She was the communications officer on the Enterprise and as Veritate says, she got as high as commander, but not captain. I believe Sulu was the only one go on to become a captain (unless your count Scotty, when the Enterprise D found him in transporter loop.....he might've been captain then).

I guess the woman only remembered ONE person of colour ever make it to space. She forgot Lando, Worf (and other Klingons), that guy from Battlestar Galactica, Tealc (sp??) from Stargate SG-1..... and many, many more....
  18. ShatirLavan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks for filling in the guy who never watched the original ST. Would the guys from BSG you are referring to be the original Tigh and Boomer?
  19. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh echosevin - I still find that soo funny! It's just wrong on so many levels!

Kids Day was awesome! I can wait to do it again next year.

And I think I'll just give them want they want and wear a plain ol' New Hope Leia - that's who they all think I am anyway. :)

People with pics should send them to the website - I want to see them! I know badlands had some up last I checked too.

Jen
  20. veritate Jedi Knight

star 2
    MagpieJen,

Yes. You got more than one "Princess Leia". It was for no other reason than your hairstyle. ANH Leia would be fun to have.
  21. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    :p i always get princess leia even when wearing nothing that looks like princess leia so actually going with anh leia for the parade here :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.