main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

July Activity

Discussion in 'Archive: Salt Lake City, UT' started by Marold, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    Sorry I'm late in starting the thread for this month.

Anywho, onto the activity.

This month we will be traveling up to Smith & Edwards to go 'costume finding'. If you have not been there, it's a great store and I advise wearing a good pair of walking shoes and bring water.

We will have this event on Saturday July 16. I'm thinking we leave around noonish. Please car pool if you can, I'll get more information up as to where we are meeting and where S&E's is located.

2. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Hey!! That's about fifteen minutes from my house. I'm in! I can't believe the popularity that Smith & Edwards gets. It is a great place to buy western wear and camping gear. Oh! And of course surplus military supplies. I've never seen Star Wars costumes there, though. Is that what you had in mind, Mary? Maybe materials for costumes. There certainly are tons of things that can be cannibalized for costumes and props.

3. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Sadly I will be unable to attend the event because I'll be river rafting in Moab [face_dancing]:D

4. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    party pooper. :p

5. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    It's true you won't find a "Star Wars costume" there, but there is so much stuff that could be used for different things. (DANG I HATE WORKING ON SATURDAYS!!!!!!!!)

6. 20x6

20x6 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    It is proposed that the July activity be changed to river rafting in Moab with Erin. All in favor?

7. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Rafting is a blast. I did some whitewater rafting in Wyoming with my scouts a few years ago. Oh yeah!

lol....i typed in rafter before changing it to rafting. I've worked too much today! [face_laugh]

8. Croker_Da_Chris

Croker_Da_Chris Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    I'm Sorry I didn't invite you guys, I thought it was a "tourist only" thing

So I went rafting and mountain bike riding down at Moab over the 4th July Weekend.

It was great :)

9. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Great idea 20x6 but unless you wish to pay for everyone to attend I don't think most of our members can afford to go river rafting at this time.

I know S&E doesn't sound like a great place to find SW costumes at but with a little imagination, which I know you all have, you can find something there that can be used for a costume.

If the 16 doesn't work maybe we can shoot for the 30. I realized I had booked something the night of the 16 that I might have to leave the shopping spree a little early.

I'm having some issues with my internet right now so I've asked DarthIshtar to watch over the forums for me if I can't while my computer is down.

I will get the information and the driving directions posted as soon as I can.

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Hi, all, I'm your surrogate mommy for the moment.

11. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Hi mom. Boy it seems we've been crossing paths much more lately. I never noticed until just recently on the fanfic forums. What a small world. BTW, just wanted to compliment you on your writing. You have some really good fics and I really loved "Dead Eye". That's when I started suspecting you were LDS. Either that or you went on safari missions to Africa by the way you posted in other threads. Anyway, looking forward to meeting you some time. :)

Oh, and back on topic, if we can't find items to build costumes with I can show everyone how to build a hardware lightsaber with a sink pipe, some pvc material, a few other items, like a D-ring, etc. Oh, we can't forget wiper blades. I have power tools, but if someone else has a riveter that would also help out. This is all assuming you want to build one.

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm curious. How did my Order 66 fic make you suspect that I was LDS?

13. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Like I said..."Dead Eye". Dead Eye was the nickname the medic gave to the sharpshooter from Arizona in "Saints and Soldiers".

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, I forgot about that. I wrote it based on a character from HMS Pinafore named Dick Deadeye.

15. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    ******UPDATE******

I've decided to pushback the S&E Activity to the 30 of July. Also, for those who aren't able, or don't wish to attend a costuming finding activity I was toying with the idea of doing another Drive-in thing that night as well.

I hope this change of plans works for everyone.

16. 20x6

20x6 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Don't forget Dead Eye Duncan from Knights of the Old Republic. I think he's the first guy you fight in the arena on Tarus.

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Hmmm, never played it.

18. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Marold, does this count as an official meeting for you guys? Would you like it posted at the FanForce.net website? Let me know!

19. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    In your story, your clone said he never misses. I remember Deacon in "Saints and Soldiers" saying the same thing. Never heard of Dick Deadeye, but I reread your story and it seems you actually based your story on Saints and Soldiers according to your reply. I remember thinking that the movie won many awards but was not widely released. That's what clued me in.

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, here's the deal. I remembered that from Saitns and Soldiers, but forgot the name. The name I got from HMS Pinafore from this really odd guy who's loyal for personal profit.

21. Croker_Da_Chris

Croker_Da_Chris Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    I'm pretty sure that I'll be in town. So I'll be there as well
    Chris

22. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Mary, do you guys usually dine in somewhere afterwards before heading home?

23. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    I will still be unable to attend. I have a wedding for my old roommate that day :(
    It sucks. Of the 5 of us I'm the only one still single...

24. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't, but I think with this type of trip we will most likely get something to eat.

I don't know the area too well, maybe you can suggest someplace for us. :D

25. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    There are actually quite a few fast food places nearby, including a fancy Mexican restaurant, all just on the east side of the highway exit from Smith & Edwards. Theres McDonalds, Subway, Wendy's to name a few. The Mexican restaurant is called Melina's. The food is pretty good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.