main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indi, IN July Book Club meeting

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by EMERALD_GREENE, Jun 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba_Binks

Boba_Binks Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 7, 2001
    We talked about the book of course... talked about other things, went to Outback, went to Meijers and Wal-Mart. It was a real good time. Nice to meet some new peole too!

2. EMERALD_GREENE

EMERALD_GREENE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Who all made it after I had to leave?

3. SkylaFett

SkylaFett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 6, 2001
    We had a total of 11 members 2 padawans and 1 youngling counting your self and Redphive5. I don't know about the other end of the table but we talked about the book maybe for about 7 or 8 mins. I couldn't be of much help since I hadn't read it but I did learn some stuff to help me understand where I'm at better. I hope everything wasn't as bad as it sounded last night Ken. I haven't checked your August thread but I'm sure you stated as I did last night that the book for next month is Dark Tide II: Ruin. I also wanted to thank every one that went out after the meeting I had a blast.

4. Naboo Queen

Naboo Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 1999
    Indeed a fun time was had. The new guy said that we were very entertaining!

5. SkylaFett

Dec 6, 2001
    I think he was just afraid to say anything bad. God only knows what we would have done if he said the wrong thing.

Seriously though I don't think we spent enough time talking to him at Outback. I know there was awhile when I forgot he was even there.

6. ShajoPhind

ShajoPhind Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2002
    I just wanted to thank you guys for making me feel welcome, even though I only talked to one or two people at the 'other' end of the table.
    I had a blast last night, it's good to get out and talk with other Star Warsians!

7. EMERALD_GREENE

Jul 23, 2001
    I'm glad you could atten & hope you will do so again. Sounds like you did a great job pinch hitting for me, thanks again. Unfortunately, the cause that I left for was worse that could be imagined but we are trying to work through it.

8. Jedi_Gepper

Jedi_Gepper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 23, 2001
    Yeah, I missed you there, Ken. Things sound pretty tough, but I hope it all works out for you. I made it only about 10-15 minutes late after all! Twas a good time indeed! I plan to make it next month as well, of course, but I'll have to book it from my soon-to-be-new apartment up in Westfield and job in Greentown. It's always a good time!

9. Naboo Queen

Aug 10, 1999
    I'm sorry about whatever's going on, EG. You're in our thoughts.

10. Aderagon

Aderagon Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2001
    Sorry I had to leave so early last night (work sucks). I'll see you all in August for the General Meeting.

11. EMERALD_GREENE

Jul 23, 2001
    Gepper congrats on your new place & job.

12. QUEEN-KARENDALA

QUEEN-KARENDALA Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    Its all fun and games until the meat falls out of your box!

13. EMERALD_GREENE

Jul 23, 2001
    I HATE it when that happens! :)

14. SkylaFett

Dec 6, 2001
  15. Buckaroo_Banzai

Buckaroo_Banzai Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2002
    Just wanted to thank everyone for showing an out-of-towner a great time. I enjoyed meeting you and had a great time with lots of laughs. Even though I doubt I'll be fortunate enough to land another business trip on the same day as future meetings, I'll definately keep an eye out for any opportunities.

Highlights for me: finding out some socks, trying to erase the visuals of people dancing with poles, hearing how much some other people hate Disney's Hunchback and how the endless litany of jokes from loading a carry-out box. SkylaFett, you've got a great kid. Good luck on your election BobaBinks....

May the force be with you....

16. Jedi_Gepper

Jul 23, 2001
    Hearing how much I hate Disney's "interpretation" (read: "butchering") of
    "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" was a highlight for you? Well, I'm just glad that it was memorable, for better or for worse. Just remember: In almost every case, the book will be infinitely better than the movie.
    Also, we're all very happy, I'm sure, that you made it to the book club meeting. New faces and opinions are always welcome! :)

17. Buckaroo_Banzai

Jun 2, 2002
    It was a "highlight" from the perspective of "memorable" and fun to find someone that passionate about Hugo's and other classic literature work. Generally, I agree with the book/movie thing, but I think it tracks back to the vision of the author. Certainly, there are some books that can never effectively be translated into film because of the story being told. I think about the flip side, when a movie is novelized, which very is very rarely done well. This is because whether book or movie (or play), the original author has some vision and brings that vision alive through a particular medium. Example, SW:ANH. The book was OK (better than subsequent novelizations), but would never qualify as great literature at least IMHO.

On the other hand, if you find someone passionate about the source material, you can occasionally find a decent interpretation, such as Peter Jackson. I don't think LOTR movie will ever compare to the book, but I also would never have believed that they could have scratched the surface.

Another example is the reading of a play. I remember reading several of Shakespeare's plays and realizing that Shakespeare is not meant to be read, it's meant to be viewed through drama, with each portrayal showing a different interpretation. After viewing the play, then reading helps with clarification and understanding, which is probably far deeper than we intended to get.

18. Jedi_Gepper

Jul 23, 2001
    I'm relieved to know that other people still read and appreciate books as well, not just magazines or novels found in airports. I also agree on the plays. I've read Shakespeare, and it works much better in action.

19. Naboo Queen

Aug 10, 1999
    I agree that LOTR was a good adaptation, so was Gone with The Wind, Gettysburg and North and South (mini-series).
    I also believe that the musical version of Les Miserables (a viewing of which Aunt Beru's Cultural Society will be sponsoring) was excellent, though somewhat changed from the original.

Speaking of good books, the more I get into this Duelogy of Stackpole's, the more I remember how much I enjoyed it when it came out. This was before the NJO went the drunken-Han-and-another-unforgivable-injustice route.

20. SkylaFett

Dec 6, 2001
    Thank you Buckaroo. He gets so worked up when he's around any one from the IK so you did not catch him on one of his better days but then I have days with him like today that make up for all the rest. I'm glad that you could make it and I hope to see you again.

21. Buckaroo_Banzai

Jun 2, 2002
    As long as this tangent thread is running, any interest in sharing what your favorite books are and why?

For me, the top fiction books are (in order of reading):

1. Dune - read it at 14, connected and never viewed Sci-Fi the same again. I've re-read this book 5 times and don't believe there will ever be a movie adaptation worth a hoot.

2. Lord of the Rings - read it at 16 while deeply emersed in D&D and it defined high school for me. I've already commented.

3. Tale of Two Cities - this is probably my second favorite story ever told.

4. Crime and Punishment - I read this book during my grad-school Russian phase, and immediately read a half dozen other Dostoyevsky novels, but no hands down, C&P was the definative book for me. More to say about thinking and living than any other book I've ever read.

To keep this inside the forum, favorite Star Wars books (with much less influence on life): all Zahn books (especially "Dark Force Rising"), "I,Jedi", "Courtship of Princess Leia", and for pure mindless fun "Shadow Hunter".....

There are many others, but I rattled these off the top of my head. Anyway, just curious about other people's favorites....

Be seeing you....

22. Incom4

Incom4 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    How dare you talk about books at the Book Club :)

It was good to meet you BB anytime you or any other members of Evansville FF wanna come up you are more than welcome.

23. Jedi_Gepper

Jul 23, 2001
    Before I head off to "Smackdown!" tonight, I wanted to let anyone know who was interested that I got the "Jedi Quest #3" last night up at the Barnes and Noble in Carmel/Westfield on 31. I hadn't seen it previously, but I guess this means it's arriving everywhere now or shortly. Anyway, there you go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.