main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq July Meeting - 7/17/05

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Wook, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    [Han]Good, I hate long waits.[/Han]

:p

2. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Mos Alba - You Don't Need to See Our Identification

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears...

Here's something a little different from the usual monthly newsletter.

[u][b]STATE OF MOS ALBA ADDRESS[/b][/u]

Mos Alba is quickly approaching the 3rd year anniversary of our fine establishment. In June of 2002, a few friends got together in the interest of forming a Fan Force Chapter in Albuquerque, NM. Little did they realize what this little group of friends would grow into.

A LARGE group of friends. Today, our membership hovers over the 30 mark and seems to increase every month. Our biggest gathering, the May Prequel Party/BBQ/Meeting, included family and friends of members. We had 65 people at that party. Which, I am also proud to say, even tops the biggest gathering that Denver has ever had.

We've done some great things together. We've put on personal parties. We've gone out socializing together. We've promoted Star Wars in front of comic book stores and shown the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Lit crowd in Albuquerque that there's more to Star Wars than just movies at Bubonicon and the Library. More importantly, we've raised money for the fight against breast cancer. We've raised money for the Children's Miracle Network. We've opened new worlds for many people, both young and old. And we couldn't have done it without the friendship and camaraderie that we have. Not just Mos Alba, but with the 501st Legion and the Rebel Legion. We have so many Fan Force members that are into costuming that it's only natural to co-exist with the costuming groups in Star Wars fandom. It's amazing to see how all of us work together to promote a good cause.

Michelle and I have been leading Mos Alba for the past year and a half - and I know that I've had a blast doing it so far. Knowing how far people will go to help out has made running this ship fairly easy and exceptionally fun to do. I'm very proud of all of our members. From those who stay late or wake up early to help set things up at an event. Those people who make the phone calls, make the meetings to set up an event. Those people who show up just to help out and pass out flyers. Those people who wear the costumes in the heat. Those people who do "intangible" things for the group like produce art or host websites. Even those people who aren't able to do much more than post or visit the message boards. You guys make this club what it is. If it weren't for you, we wouldn't have done what we've done in the past and what we plan to do in the future. Michelle and I are just the guiding hands. And sometimes, the cracking whips, if need be.

This isn't to say that we haven't had our fair share of problems. We are a mixed lot of personalities and we all have our pride. But we all have to remember why it is that we've gone and joined Mos Alba FanForce: to have fun and celebrate our love of Star Wars.

I've relished the times I've had for the past two years I've been in this group. I've relished the past year and a half I've helped lead this group. And I look forward to the many exciting things that are in the pipeline for us - not just Star Wars related, but as friends and family.

Thank you all and God Bless America.

[hr]

Okay, that last sentence was campy, but hey - so am I.

[hr]

[b][u]WHAT'S BEEN GOING ON SINCE LAST MONTH[/u][/b]

[u]June Meeting[/u]

The aftermath of the release of Episode III has been readily apparent. Other than collecting the new toys that occasionally ship to stores and watching the movie for the umpteenth time, there isn't much to report on. For the June meeting, some of our members headed up to Colorado for the summer Mountain Garrison picnic. The rest of us met at the Loma del Norte park and had a quick and quiet (and wet) meeting. Not much was discussed beyond the thank you to our participants for the Star Wars Day at the Cherry Hills Library. That was a GREAT success, by the

3. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    not sure if I can make it. We are RPGing at 3, so if I come it will be for about 30 minutes and then I have to run back to the other side of town...

4. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Well, crap, just all of you come! It's been too long since Christov has popped in at a meeting.

5. FlirtationOfficer

FlirtationOfficer Jedi Youngling star 3

May 6, 2005
    @};- I actually asked off so I could go to this meeting!:) Bob that was very well written and I mirror the same sentiments. I have certainly had my disagreements but I love everyone here and I have appreciated the emotional support you have given me thru this trying time in my life. I have definitely found the "Jedi" in my soul because of all the love you guys have given me. Thank you!!@};- @};- @};- [face_batting] I love being the flirtation officer!

6. Morph-Eharl-Khoehng

Morph-Eharl-Khoehng Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2005
    Is the meeting still on for today or was it moved to the 26th?

7. Andromeda13

Andromeda13 Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2005
    The meeting is still set for today, as far as I know!

8. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    It's today.

9. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    i won't be at the meeting at all...

10. stromtrooper1982

stromtrooper1982 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    Well I wont be able to make it yet again. Working Wensday-sunday still sucks cause it my perm work sch. So only able to do thing on monday or tuesday. But I go to work at 2 so not much I can do aboiut trying to go early. I know a few people asked about me at the june meeting sorry for not being able to make it. But if anyone that wants to try for a monday or tuesday get together I would be happy to go... But I shall be missing a good week in augest going to NC to go to see my other halfs family. But Ill see what the figure count is on the way and on the east coast. So have fun guys at the meeting and hope to see you guys and gals some time.

James

11. FlirtationOfficer

FlirtationOfficer Jedi Youngling star 3

May 6, 2005
    :) :* It was great to see everyone!!!

12. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    James, will you be here in August for Bubonicon (August 26-28)?

13. Andromeda13

May 31, 2005
    It was great to see you again too! Next time, we will bring our own squirt guns though! [face_dancing]

14. jango_junkie

jango_junkie Jedi Master star 3

Apr 3, 2005
    If you do that, I will bring a gun with black dye in it! [face_devil]

15. stromtrooper1982

stromtrooper1982 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    Ken - I can try a early morning run to it, but I go to work at 2 on all those days. But Ill try and see what I can do.

16. Commander_Clem

Commander_Clem Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    So, update on meeting please....:)

17. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    I'll post minutes as soon as I can...

18. Commander_Clem

Commander_Clem Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    Thank you sir

19. Andromeda13

May 31, 2005
    Cool! I'll make sure to wear all black! And for you......... I'l bring my gun with bleach in it! [face_dancing]

20. Jawamom

Jawamom Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2005
    Sorry we could not make it. We had the best intentions but unfortunatley life ot the better of us. I do not know if you all know but I am a cancer patient and the radiation treatment kicked my proverbial but all weekend. I cann't wait to read the minutes of the meeting. I still also am highly interested in [articipating and donating for bubonican as well as helping in any other way I can. Jawa boy misses you guys while he is out of town.

21. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Meeting Minutes

In attendance
    Bob/Brotherhalo
    Donna/Skyra
    Ken/TK166
    Tara/Vadersprincess & Alex
    Anita/DarthLynn
    Joseph/Bloodclaw65
    Joseph/Jango_Junkie
    Jess/Gecko_Fett & Tabby
    Brian/LetoQuorme
    Cyndi/cyndilt76
    Earl/abqscout
    Jenna/fathom33
    Sean/hairlesswookiee
    Lindsey/LadyNaberrie & Will
    Jennifer/DarthJen91
    Vivian/Shaak_Vi
    Ben/jedibb123 & Sonya & Destyni
    Chris/obi-chris-kenobi & Margaret
    Michael
    Jeremiah/Ulic-Qel-Droma75
    Lesleigh/Andromeda13
    Ashley/Lukewarm88
    Greg/propgeek1701
    Deb/FlirtationOfficer
    Scott/Redgek
    David/Obi-dave-kenobi

WOW. What a turnout!

We talked about Bubonicon again, since it's right around the corner. Ideas/suggestions/chit-chat was discussed about our involvement again this year. Again, Bob stated that the proceeds we make this year will go to Toys For Tots. Personal items can be sold again at the table, as well as any donations people would like to make towards Mos Alba. Along those lines, Bob is looking for donations for raffle prizes for the table - and this time, Mos Alba members are NOT eligible for prizes. A silent auction will be run by Julie for the signs and ads Jason/bobasparxx has generously given to the group. We will be showing fan films again, late Saturday afternoon. We may also host time again in the ConSuite. More information will be coming very soon. We will have some planning meetings in the coming weeks.

NMSO - requested 501st Imperial presence for the Star Wars Concerts in September. Jess and Bob are meeting with the NMSO contact first week of August to hammer out details.

State Fair Parade? Hot? Ideas were tossed around for involvement in the Fair parade and we determined it would be walking death in armor. We may try to talk to the State Fair Committees about involvement on any children's day(s) at the Fair this year.

Balloon Fiesta - along the same lines of the State Fair, we may do some involvement at the Balloon Fiesta in October. Lindsey noted that the Fiesta organizers are always trying gimmicks to boost attendance - perhaps we could help?

Star Wars Bowling - there is a league running at Ten Pins in Rio Rancho. Several people are signed up already - so get over there if you are interested in joining! It's $14 a week, and this league bowls on Sundays at 3pm. The first day is Sunday July 31st, so get over there to sign up!

T-shirts - again, we want shirts. Plain ones this time, with personal options of possibly doing iron-ons of board names on the back. Need to get artwork from Lor and we'll be doing this shirt through an internet vendor.

Fan Film - several members have started putting together real ideas for a Fan Film. More info is forthcoming!

I think that's all for now. If I forgot anything, please chime in!

22. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    Doesn't it start on July 31st?

23. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Ack! Sorry, my mistake. Fixing now...

24. Redgek

Redgek Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 1999
    I was there too, ***dammit! :D