main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA JULY meeting

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by jedi_master_sal, Jun 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    This is from Terry/ROX:

I was very disappointed to see only Josh, Chris(Darth Akar) and myself were the only ones to attend the June meeting. I understabd that it was held at an indiviuals home instead of a public place.
    At the May meeting noone had any major concerns as to were it was being held.

The main reason for my displeasure, is that the nomination process has been push back, because noone showed up. Therefore at the July meeting nominations will take place. If you are unable to attend the July meeting and you wish to make a nomination via e-mail, you may do so by e-mailing: ROX@thenewrepublic.net

All nominations will be made public at the July meeting. All nomiees wish to run for office must accept by the end of the July meeting. Voting will take place at the August Picnic.

I still don't have the net yet, because I still haven't received a bill with my name on it and that's what's required to get access.
    As soon as I get back online, I'll be back in full capacity. Until further notice if you have a problem on the boards, please send strawberry a PM. If it's club related call me by phone: 412-628-4946.

If you have an agenda item to add post it here.

2. Lando_Da_Pimp

Lando_Da_Pimp Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I don't want to point out the obvious but the day of the meeting I noticed that there were about 5 people asking for directions that never got them.

Also it is very difficult to tell a person that you don't feel comfortable going to their house to their face.

3. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Not just that day, Oreckle was asking for directions for DAYS in advance.

4. Oreckel

Oreckel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Be sure to remind Terry that the small attendance was probably due to the fact that someone forgot to post directions. Recently I've noticed a bit of the group annoyed at particular members of the council, mainly about things related to the FanFilm, check on the latest FanFilm thread or the June meeting thread if you haven't already.

Personally, I don't feel a great sense of security when members begin arguments with other members. I can see the points from both sides, but arguments within a group are never pretty. I'd rather not comment on my opinion of those issues, at least not at this time.

Moving on, I can picture this directions thing turning into another argument. There's potential for one here. I would like to prevent such an argument. While I was frustrated about that fact that the directions weren't posted, for now... I'd like to let it go. Somebody forgot, and it could happen to anyone. Obviously, that person should have been mature enough to get around to it, but guess what? We just learned a valuable lesson. We haven't lost much, it was only one meeting. But now we know. Now we know the importance of doing it before-hand. Please don't try to argue any more points on this; it won't get us anywhere. It happened, we learned, we move on. I'm going to drop the issue now.

If from now on it seems like directions aren't going to be posted, I'll see to it. I have your phone numbers so I can be sure that this mistake won't repeat itself. But I don't want to see anymore complaints about it. If someone starts getting grudges against someone else, this group will never reach it's original goal: to be a fun community where everyone can have a great time with each other. I would love to see this group reach it's goal, so that's why I'd like to drop these issues right now. As I said before, I will try to take care of directions in the future.

5. Mrs_jedi_1966

Mrs_jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    Just a "gentle" reminder: There is no council anymore

As for the annoyance: I feel there are a lot of hostilities and tension from previous issues (notice I was plural with the word "issue") that have never been allowed to be expressed. Until these are "aired" = there will still be tension and people that don't want to deal.

6. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Part of the issue of the directions not being posted are such: It was at Stacey's house and I don't believe she wanted to have her home directions on the boards for just anyone to see. She should have PM'd them though. Another point is that Stacey hasn't been on the boards a whole lot lately and probably missed the fact that people were asking for directions altogether. Should that have meant someone else take this upon themselves, possibly. I only knew partial directions myself and could have gotten people about 1/4 from Stacey's but that wouldn't have been good enough. Should someone have called Stacey, yes. I'm can't recall if her number is in the directory or not. Then anyone needing directions that has a directory could have just called her themselves. Since there is no more council, only Terry would have had any direct responsibilities for getting this info to members. His internet is down however and so he didn't know either, more than likely. Should someone have called him and asked him for direction, sure why not. Any of us could have done that.

This really isn't anyones fault. With exception to the nominating of club officers there really wasn't much else that Terry had on the Agenda. I do understand that Allen had some things to go over with regarding the fanfilm. It was regretable that he was unable to attend the meeting because of the miscommunication.

BTW, Allen thank you for taking a very mature understanding of what occurred.

With regard to the July meeting, as per my conversation with Terry yesterday, he informed me that he will be unable to attend the July 20th meeting. He will submit any nominations he has through a letter sent to me to be read to the group as well as other pertinent information.

Don't forget that if you wish to nominate someone that you must be meet the requirements of an "active" member as voted and instituted upon at the May meeting. If you need to know what the requirements are PM me and I'll be glad to forward them to you. If you plan on nominating, you'll need to be present at the meeting or nominate by proxy somewhat like Terry, if you can not attend. Either a written letter or at the least a PM or E-mail. I believe it was to be directed to the club Secretary/Treasurer. I could be mistaken on this. In any case, even though we do not have a council at the moment, Chris (GreenCat) is still the acting Sec/Tres. and you can forward your nominations to her if you are unable to attend. You can PM me as well or instead if you like, that's up to you.

Please ask for a confirmation from whichever person you send your nominations to, to be sure that they were received and read and will be read at the July meeting. All submissions by proxy WILL be kept secret until the July meeting.

The only niche I see in this is if a person is nominated and they aren't at the meeting. (They must accept the nomination by the end of the meeting to be in the "running" for whichever position the accept a nomination for) I will talk with Terry to see how we can deal with that issue should it arise. If you can not attend and you would like to accept by proxy a specfic nomination if you are nominated the I guess you can PM that as well to either Chris (GreenCat) or myself.

Again, I can not stress enough that all nominations or acceptance of nominations by proxy will be kept in strict confidence.

To repeat Terry's wishes, per our conversation yesterday, he does not want this to be an on-line nominating process. If you have any concerns about this, call him directly on his cell. Just because he's not on the net at the moment doesn't mean he's not available to talk to, if you have ANY concerns. His number again is:
    412-628-4946.

7. Mrs_jedi_1966

Jun 14, 2002
    Who will be "in charge" of running this meeting if Terry isn't able to make it??

8. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    An announcement to that will be made shortly. It will not be me, for everyone's info.

9. Mrs_jedi_1966

Jun 14, 2002
    okay folks ~~ due to several reasons and after talking with Terry last night; it was decided to change the meeting date.

The July meeting will be held on July 27th at 2 PM at the Gray Goose.

If there are any problems or questions with this, please let me know.

Thx :)

10. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    ok, 27th, i will try to make it and PRAY nothing comes up

11. Mrs_jedi_1966

Jun 14, 2002
    COOL!! It will be GREAT to finally meet you !!!!! :D

12. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Ok, I won't be there. Can't make that date most likely.

13. DarthDahc

DarthDahc Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 4, 2002
    I can be there haha!

14. Lando_Da_Pimp

Mar 12, 2002
    I am almost positive I can make it.
    sweet....

15. Lando_Da_Pimp

Mar 12, 2002
    I am almost positive I can make it.
    sweet....

16. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    the 27th. hmmmm.

okay. checked my calander and I can make that date, but it will be a bit tricky and depend on us having the meeting earlier in the day (noon would be nice) as I have to be in Gettysburg that evening.

*grin* talk about deja vu. Last year, I also had to leave the meeting to go to the Union conference in Gettysburg. :)

And Orekal, I appreciate your comments on directions and the desire to avoid letting it become another 'issue'. Very mature. :)

17. Mrs_jedi_1966

Jun 14, 2002
    Actually, when I called to make the reservations at the GG = George suggested 2 PM so that's when I made the reservation for. sorry.

I'm not sure how early they open - being a bar and being a Sunday.

18. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    *shrugs* Okay, I'll just have to drive a bit faster that evening on my way to Gettysburg [face_mischief] Not really a problem :D

So, we have an 'official' meet time of July 27th, 2PM at the Gray Goose.

Also, back around the time of the comicon, we got a box of books donated to the group from B. Dalton. (Carrie had called around looking for donations for the comicon raffle) They didn't get used for the raffle because although there were a few scifi/fantasy books, they were not SW books. Carrie suggested to me a while back that they be sold off to those in the group with the money going into the account. I agreed that this was a good idea, then proceeded to drive around with them in the trunk of my car for several months . . .

So, long story a little longer, I have a box of books and audio books that I will bring to the July meeting. Hard backs and audio books $5, paperbacks $2. First come, first served. Remaining books to go into a raffle.

How's that sound??

19. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    How many books are the ? Too many to list here? If so then what are the non novel hardcover books? is there anything related to the computer industry? i.e. how to or informational books?

20. BrendonWahlberg

BrendonWahlberg Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2001
    What is the address or location of the Gray Goose?

-BW

21. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    It's in Verona.

Here's the link to Mapquest:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&address=grey+goose&city=verona&state=pa&zipcode=&homesubmit=Get+Map

from there you can plug in your address. If your familiar with the Yellow Belt, that's pretty much a straight shot then turn right onto Allegheny River BLVD (going away from town). Once on Allegheny River BLVD from the Yellow belt you should only have to go approx 2 miles or so. They Grey Goose woll be on your Left. They have a small parking lot so you'll either have to get there early or park on the next street down (closer to the river).

Hope that helps.

22. BrendonWahlberg

Nov 14, 2001
    Thanks!! I also found out the number there is 412 828 8898.

-BW

23. BrendonWahlberg

Nov 14, 2001
    Thanks!! I also found out the number there is 412 828 8898.

-BW

24. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I just happen to be in the Northland Public Library in the North Hills, which is close to the Borders on McKnight Road. They have two decent sized meeting rooms that would be adequate for future meetings if needed. Just FYI if another location is needed.

25. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    Northland Public Library is cool...right next to my old school..i may be slightly banned tho because I still have books that were due like, 3 months ago, but oh well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.