main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

July Meeting

Discussion in 'Archive: Daytona Beach, FL' started by Amiry, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amiry

Amiry Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2004
    I know it's early, but the longer we have to plan for it, maybe the better. If we stick with the third Saturday of the month method, that would place the next meeting on July 16th. :)

I've been trying to come up with things we can do as a group by looking at what other groups are doing. Most of their meetings tend to be what we had this month, only with more people. Some groups also have a SW book club, which is an idea that I really like. I haven't read the New Jedi Order books or any of the Clone Wars-era novels. If we did this, we could assign a book one month (which gives everyone plenty of time to read), then discuss it and assign the next book the following month. Other groups also do costuming meetings, but for some reason those don't do so well with this group. . .:(

As a side note, I will be moving sometime in the near future into a larger house. We're still going to be in the area. Hopefully we'll have a den-type room. Depending on when this occurs, I'd gladly host a meeting there. I just don't know when it will be. When I have guests, my parents usually don't bother us, unless it's something important.

2. ChissGoddess

ChissGoddess Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    A book club would be fantastic. I absolutely loved the NJO. I highly recommend it :D . Another good one is I, Jedi or the Thrawn Trilogy if you guys haven't read any of those...

I'll go a head and tentatively mark July 16th for our next meeting...I might be at aviation camp then though, we shall see.

3. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    gah! NJO sucked, but this is one reason why a book club would be good, so I can slam Goddess into a bookshelf :p

4. Amiry

Amiry Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2004
    I, Jedi was excellent. I have read all the books up to the first book of the NJO. I may not remember all the details, but I read them.

But anyway, maybe we can discuss this possibility when we have the next meeting. Maybe make suggestions and whatnot. :)

5. darthdemios

darthdemios Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2005
    sounds good

6. darthdemios

Mar 11, 2005
    could we have this meeting a little earlier in the day,cause my mom likes to make me go to churchat 4:30

7. darthdemios

Mar 11, 2005
    I know this has nothing to do with this thead,but i didn't know were else to post this

CONGRATS GEORGE -2005 AFI LIFETIME ACHEIVEMENT AWARD WINNER

8. ChissGoddess

Jan 29, 2004
    haha I second the GO GEORGE...GL not only stands for George Lucas...but also God-like. I know, me an my darn blaspheming. ^_^

And Q I don't think you'd slam me into a bookshelf...The force can have an unusual affect on the weak minded. hehe.

NJO did not suck perse...but it did have its moments though. But on the positive -- Jag Fel is my dream guy. And for this I must thank the NJO. :D

So we should definately start a book club...or at least talk about the books that we've read at the next meeting.

9. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Ok, half of it sucked, like the middle half :p

It could have just been cut in half IMHO. It seemed way too rushed, like they came up with the idea, did a little research to make a cool "twist" at the end, then set the authors loose.

But, all to be discussed at a later time :)

10. ChissGoddess

Jan 29, 2004
    haha. I just like Alpha Red and the Chiss...mostly the Chiss. *cough name cough* Go house Nuruodo and Syndic Fel.

Yeah I thought the first 3 were great...then the Jedi Eclipse duology really got me bored...I didn't want to read about Han going on some lame adventure with a Ryn. Han without Chewie is like Luke without artoo...another character which didn't have enough face time. artoo basically disappears...and I love him!

Then yeah...there were some boring ones in there and it doesn't pick up again for a good number of books. :D I liked Dark Journey though...Jaina is so much like me...I laughed when she force lightning'd Kyp. And all the verbal spars with Jag were amusing too.

I just totally hate what they did with Mara. She was such a strong woman and a great role model and they totally ruined that for me. I know it was supposed to show how great a threat the Vong truly were but...but...no.

Have you ever heard the theory about Ben Skywalker from ThrawnMcEwok? If not I'll tell...it's fantabulous.

-Lee Ann

11. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    no, i haven't. do tell.

12. Amiry

Amiry Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2004
    I have read synopsies of all the books from SW Insider (I forget which issue, but it was fairly recently, like right after the last book came out), which made me want to try and read them again. I have attempted to read Vector Prime at least 5 times now. The first time I made it to Chewie and proceeded to throw my book across the room and swore not to read NJO ever. LOL. But this Ben Skywalker theory, do tell. . .

13. ChissGoddess

Jan 29, 2004
    Shavit...I had this nice reply typed up for you guys then I closed the kriffin window.

So since I'm lazy...and hungry; here's the short version of the theory:

Anakin Solo is Ben Skywalker's biological father!... for 2 reasons:

1) There was a shifty comment Anakin made to Mara when they were fighting Vong together (on some planet) about how he had something "shaped kinda like a lightsaber and that spat goo in his pants"...it ended up being some weapon or whatever "new model, smaller size" is what he said after he pwned the Vong...but nonetheless, the comment was made.

2) There is no 'scene' written...and by that you know what I mean (shifty look) I hope. Thus, the fact that Mara and Anakin spent a lot of time together...well...yeah it doesn't look so good for Luke.

14. Amiry

Amiry Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2004
    That certainly is different. LOL.

15. ChissGoddess

Jan 29, 2004
    yeah...but I can't take any credit for it...it is all ThrawnMcEwok's doing. ^_^

16. darthdemios

Mar 11, 2005
    so wheres this meeting going to be at

17. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    oh god, no! no no no no no!!!

And I say we have the meeting again at Books a Million. I'd like to have a standard place to meet so people can't say "I couldn't find it!".

It's happened, lots of time.

Back in the day we also used to meet at Riddle if people would prefer that. Doesn't matter to me though.

18. Amiry

Amiry Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2004
    BAM again is fine for me, since, ya know, I'll be there. I could set up tables (or use the ones that that book club uses, if they are there that day) or we can go sit in a quiet corner somewhere. Some of my friends who used work there and I used to have our knitting group there and we favoured a corner back by the magazines.

19. ChissGoddess

Jan 29, 2004
    I think barnes and noble...so that I can get coffee. But I don't think I've ever been to a BAM, do they have coffee? Because if they do then I'm game.

20. ChissGoddess

Jan 29, 2004
    I think I completely killed our boards. I indeed,live up to my icon :D

21. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    They do indeed have coffee.

Sorry I've been off for a while, but finals and being out of town killed me!

22. Amiry

Amiry Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2004
    I work in the café at BAM, so I'm pretty sure we have coffee. ;)
    However, it is not evil Starbucks brain-sucking coffee like B&N has.

23. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I'm rather fond of the Starbucks Tazo Chai...

24. Amiry

Amiry Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2004
    And I'm quite fond of never having had anything from Starbucks. They annoy me, and not just because I work with coffee/tea (I don't even like coffee, but I love tea), but I'll spare you the details unless you really want to know.

We have Oregon Chai at BAM and it is addictive. :p

25. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    hmmmmm, sounds like a challenge to me.

I loooove chai! yummy :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.