main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon July OFF Meeting

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Ayn, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ayn

Ayn Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2006
    Hi everyone,

I thought Id get things underway for our next meeting. Alot of people have expressed interest in doing a pot luck style meal and I know there are some people who are wanting to do some saber battling. So, here are my thoughts.

1. Everyone is welcome to come to Bill and my building again. We have the kitchen, TV/DVD, plenty of room and seating, and air conditioning.

2. For those interested in swords, we are a short walk from several parks. We have the conveniece of setting up food and eating in doors, but there will still be the option of going to the parks if people are wanting to do that. However, I dont know if there are any "rules" etc about that kind of thing in the park. We should look into it to be on the safe side.

3. Ill keep a list in this thread of what people want to bring. If you cant/dont want to bring anything, thats fine too, Ill fill in the gaps :) Everyone is welcome regardless. It will be fun to see what the cooks in group come up with.

4. Dates, dates, dates. What works for you guys? I was thinking sometime towards the end of the month. Maybe July 22 or 29th. Let me know what you all think and Ill post here when we have a date/time set.

2. brigandarklung

brigandarklung Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2005
    For the record I am already working on talking to Portland PD about sword fighting in a park, so hopefully I will have an answer in a couple of days.

3. grumpydevil

grumpydevil Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    FYI - There may be a 501st BBQ on the 22nd.

I'm pretty sure that we'd all be invited to that, though. Details haven't been finalized yet, but as soon as I know, I'll tell you all.

Also, DST has a big event at the hollywood Theatre on July 15th. That's the 80th Birthday Celebration, you guys should come out (just for fun). All are welcome...

-Kyle

4. Ayn

Mar 4, 2006
    Ok, how is the 29th looking for everyone?

5. MaraSkywalkeriii

MaraSkywalkeriii Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2006
    Either date works for me.

I will most definitely be bringing something. Should we try and create a food theme so there is no clashing, or should we all just show up with our favorite thing and see what happens? I can go either way.

So, Saber fighting. Sounds like fun. I was Saber fighting the other day with my nephew and horror of all horrors the tip of my blue Anakin Skywalker/ATOC Saber broke right off! I admit my fighting was rather aggressive, however no permanent was done but for the tip. I'm going to figure out someway of rapairing it. Actually if anyone has suggestions it would be thoroughly appreciated. Also my green Luke Skywalker Saber doesn't function. It doesn't make any sound. So if there are any electronical geniuses out there, let me know.

6. brigandarklung

Nov 9, 2005
    The weekend of the 29th falls into the Oregon brewers festival Tom McCall waterfront park, which runs from the 26th-30th. So it will probably be a mess of drunken people everywhere. Just FYI.

7. Ayn

Mar 4, 2006

When we get settled on a date, Ill keep a list here of what everyone is bringing :)

8. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I will bring Huttees soup.........I will start hunting down live amphibians today. [face_laugh]

9. Ayn

Mar 4, 2006

10. brigandarklung

Nov 9, 2005
    Ambers birthday falls on the thursday prior to that weeekend, and being beer lovers (not cheap thirty pack drinkers solely to get trashed) we are planning on attending and sampling the local brews as well, but as to which day we are undecided.

Giving that August works better for us. but we will see what gets decided by the rest and do our best.

11. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    I work weekday mornings, so hopefully I should be able to come.

12. Ayn

Mar 4, 2006
    Im sure you guys will find some great brews...many people have told me all about how good the microbrews etc are around here and tried to get me into sampling them. I just never aquired a taste for beer, although I do occasionally try. So far though, I get a few sips into a beer then end up switching to wine or a cocktail. Beer seems too heavy and filling to me. But maybe I just havnt found the right variety. Plus, anything at Waterfront Park is usually a good time.

13. XecoFreemoon

XecoFreemoon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2004
    I'm totally good as far as time. I have nothing planned that can't be changed at this point. My schedual is completely open. As far as food I was thinking of making spanish baked rice with seafood and a cold vegetable soup, like Gazpacho but a good bit chunkier and very nice in warm weather. I'm sure I might end up bringing a nice bread to go with it.

Where are we planning this for? Outdoors? Indoors?

Yes I'll bring my shinai as well. That sounds like great fun.

-Xeco

14. Ayn

Mar 4, 2006
    Im thinking we should do the food part indoors. Its easier to manage food indoors where its air conditioned and perishables and leftovers can be easily stored. We are only a few blocks from the parks, so it will be an easy walk for outdoor activities.
    Yum, nice menu choices Xeco! When we get settled on a date/time Ill start the menu list in this thread.

15. Ayn

Mar 4, 2006
    Brook, it would be great to see you at an OFF meeting! Hope you can make it.

16. XecoFreemoon

Aug 5, 2004
    Ayn, Kyle, so.. like.. the first three Saturdays are like, with stuff on them. The potluck thing have to be a Saturday?or um... yah.. just the 411.

-R

17. grumpydevil

Oct 1, 2005
    Since the July date hasn't been set, I have an idea. Is there any way we can have our July meeting just part of the 501st bbq?

We'll be at a big park (I think) and I'm sure we could break off for a bit and hang out - talk about anything we need to. Plus I know a couple of other OFF members that will be there w/the 501st or DST (specifically TatooineForceRecon and AramysStrael).

Just an idea, thought I'd throw that out there...

-Kyle

18. XecoFreemoon

Aug 5, 2004
    I gave you that thought hooman!! [face_skull]

19. Ayn

Mar 4, 2006
    Sounds like a good idea to me! There is so much going on over the summer months, it gets tough to find time when everyone is free. Plus we may be able to lure more people in joining us here on the OFF boards. Would it be terrible to put of doing the pot luck dining to a future meeting in August or September?

20. brigandarklung

Nov 9, 2005
    Due to hectic nature of this month I really like the idea of putting the potluck off till August. Unfortunately I can't attend until at least August anyway, things keep piling up.

As far as that goes, do you guys have any kind of a group banner or poster to fly at events? It has been my personal experience with the OCFF that some people are a little too shy to just walk up to groups and see whats going on. If they see a banner or poster that denotes a club they are more likely to walk up and inquire about what is going on. I think it has something to do the innate human habits of "clique-iness", in that many are afraid to cross the line. So it is just my thought to try and take advantage of opportunites at hand.

Don

21. grumpydevil

Oct 1, 2005
    [face_idea] I still have extra foam core from the Swap'N'Shop that I can use to make a 24x36 sign.

-Kyle

22. brigandarklung

Nov 9, 2005
    Is there an official logo for the club or should there be a contest? In Orange County it was the death star painted orange, sometimes with the leaf too.

23. grumpydevil

Oct 1, 2005
    I wish we had a logo. Maybe something we could talk about at a future gathering? ;)

-Kyle

24. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I think Blue and I may be able to attend, possibly with our son.

I think a Banner is a good idea if Cloud City doesn't mind. We don't have much time, so maybe just have our name on it with the Fance Force web site? We could come up with an offical one (with more graphics) at a later date.

In the last meeting GrumpyDevil seemed to want the OFF more visible in the community, having a banner ready at hand would be one of the items we would need to do this (along this organization[face_chicken])

25. jawafett

jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep star 3

Mar 13, 2003
    I would like to host an August meeting at my place in Estacada/Eagle Creek, east of Clackamas, if enough ppl are willing to travel out here. I have a big place, nice backyard(not much of a lawn) but it has worked for a few BBQs so far, plenty of parking. Plus it would be a first for me to show other OFF members my collection in full display. Aug 5th or 12th? Potluck or BBQ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.