July?

Discussion in 'St. Louis, MO' started by jedi_runya, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_runya Manager Emeritus

star 4
    As for a meeting for July... There are a couple of different things we could do. We could go as a group to see the Pirates of the Caribbean which is opening on the 6th, and/or there has been talk of a camping trip. Maybe one night, somewhere close. I hear there is a place near Wentzville(sp?)... (That would need to take place later in the month so I could go... :p )

So what do YOU think??? :D

The weekend of the 15th is out due to a rather big event happening... [face_whistling]
  2. yodaismygod Jedi Master

star 4
    I believe you are referencing klondike park, I wouldn't recommend that for camping especially in July, the camping areas have little to no shade.
  3. starjedi9045 Jedi Master

star 1
    I though POC opening July 7th? Wow! Hmm... I don't know I can go. I love camping. So awesome day in the camp and I love to swim the lake that around near the camp and I will think about to go! Where is Wentzville near?
  4. Notclown-Joker Jedi Knight

star 1
    whenever I'm off on Sats now
  5. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    I could do camping at the end of the month, like the 29th. Or PotC on opening weekend sounds fun.
  6. shcook1138 Jedi Knight

star 2
    POTC sounds good to me, too. Otherwise, I'm pretty much out of commission unless people want to come visit me in my post-surgery drug-addled state....
  7. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    Don't know if anyone's interested, but the weekend of the 29th is the peak for two minor meteor showers that might be worth catching if you're going camping in a dark area.

The first is the Delta Aquarids and the second is the Capricornids which frequently contains bolides (exploding meteors).
  8. jedi_runya Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Yay! I am interested Jon. And I know there is a comet passing the week of July 3rd. So lots to look up for...

John, the place I heard of is suppose to have lots of trees. *shrugs* We (Leash and I) are going to go check it out sometime this coming week to see what is there.

There is no reason we couldn't do both, the movie and camping. One can be our 'meeting' and the other a social... :D
  9. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    I haven't heard anything about this and doing a google search for July 3 and comet only turns up info about the Deep Impact mission that happened last year around that date.

You have any more info on that?
  10. jedi_runya Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I get updates from Space Weather... http://spaceweather.com

This is what they say:

ASTEROID FLYBY: One week from today, on July 3rd, asteroid 2004 XP14 will fly past Earth barely farther away than the Moon. There's no danger of a collision, just a great photo-op for experienced amateur astronomers. The space rock is big enough (600 meters wide) and bright enough (11th magnitude) to see and photograph through backyard telescopes. Observing tips, a sky map and ephemerides are available at SpaceWeather.com .
  11. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    Ooh. An asteroid. Not comet. Either way, I hadn't heard about this.

However, if it's only going to get to 11th magnitude, it's not worth trying to plan a trip around. That means it's 100 times too faint to see with the naked eye, assuming perfect vision and perfectly clear, dark skies. Even with a telescope, it won't look like anything but a faint star unless you watch it over the course of a few hours and note that it's moving with respect to the background stars.
  12. yodaismygod Jedi Master

star 4
    I only said Klondike because I think that name was mentioned before. Not really in Wentzville, but not too far away. Possibly/probably not even the same place.
  13. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    The place I know of in Wentzville is nice, just can't remember its name.
  14. twilek69 Jedi Master

star 4
    Here is a link to the state park. It is supposed to be really nice and it is on a river. We don't know however if the campground is right next to the river or if we have to drive/walk to the river. Christina and I were going to try and check it out this week.

http://www.mostateparks.com/cuivre.htm
  15. jedi_runya Manager Emeritus

star 4
    So how does a Saturday afternoon matinee sound for POTC? On the 8th? How many could make that?

Steve and I have to be at a BBQ on Sunday out past Wentzville, so we could go early and check out the spot then...
  16. yodaismygod Jedi Master

star 4
    Never been to Cuivre river, or however you spell that, but I've heard its a good place.
  17. shcook1138 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Afternoon of the 8th works for me.
  18. NIBBOR11 Jedi Knight

star 1
    The 8th sounds good to me. But as always it depends on how I feel, time, place and transportation.
  19. twilek69 Jedi Master

star 4
    The 8th sounds good. We can also check to see if it is playing at the drive-in by then if anyone would be interested in going to drive-in.
  20. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    I am in Chicago that weekend. And I think I'm going to be sick of seeing the Pirates movie this summer... Everyone I know wants to go see it. LOL.
  21. Jedi_Master_Medic Jedi Master

star 3
    Well please take pictures of the shower. I wish I could come I am going to straight nights.
    8p-8a. Four nights a week. Plus the holiday. Starting when I get back from my trip. Oooooooooooooo
    if you all make it to POTC, you have got to leave "spoilers" pppllllllleeaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee
  22. twilek69 Jedi Master

star 4
    Medic, we can leave spoilers.
    Scott, I am sure I will see it more than once. I have to go once to make sure it is okay for Cordi and then I will have to take Rowan and Cordi. And then of course got to see it at the drive-in. LOL!
    But you can never get enough of Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom as pirates! Yum! :D
  23. Dagobah_Diva Force Ghost

star 4
    I definately want to see POTC ASAP LOL! And, also definately on the camping trip later in the month. It's almost July already and I've only been camping once this summer.
  24. twilek69 Jedi Master

star 4
    Amy, are you back from your trip yet? If so how was it and where are the pics? LOL!
  25. Dagobah_Diva Force Ghost

star 4
    I am back...it was great:D ...and I haven't printed out the pics yet. I can't load them unless I go buy a new ink cartridge. Darn Epsons.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.