main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass Jumpcon July 18,19th, and 20th Backbay Sheraton

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by chewykingwookie, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Jumpcon will be at the Boston Convention center. I want to thank the New Hampshire crew for posting a link to this con on their boards. Only one SW guest that I could see but who knows they might at more I don't know every actor that has been in the movies. It is July 18th, 19th, and 20th. There are like 50+ guests listed and from what I was reading on the NH boards a good lot of them are from the Dr. Who series.

Here is a link to the guests.

http://www.jumpcon.com/BostonConvention.html

This may be worth a trip into Boston this summer.

This will be the new home for this con since it does look like it could be a main stay in Boston. From what I understand the people behind the con are a new group and from what I saw of the guest list they may become a huge player in the Sci-Fi convention game.

2. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    As I noted in the other thread, there are at least 2 Star Wars guests: Garrick Hagon (Biggs Darklighter, Red 3, from ANH) and Ian Liston (Janson from TESB).

3. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Any thoughts about having a table at this one?

4. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    I would be for a table if the price is reasonable (I noted $100 for a table or $20 based on a percentage of the group purchasing admission to this).

I also got my email off to Justin last night...no reply from him just yet.

5. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    I saw that as well. It wouldn't be too hard for us to hit the minimum percentage (25%) of 'Active' board members buying tickets to qualify. If only 3 of us bought tickets, that would cover it. It's too bad that they couldn't comp us a table like SMF does.

Maybe if Chris and/or Korey talked to them about who we are and what we do at these shows they could offer us a little something-something to take the sting out of the cost of a table. :confused:

6. Darth_Beanie

Darth_Beanie Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 20, 2008
    Korey or I could start to look into this.

Mike do you have any contacts from the other charities we have dobe work for so we could maybe provide validation of our previous charity work?

I would go in for a hotel room but the cost seems high for my budget. Maybe they have a special rate or could find another cheaper room for those who would not want to travel.

A lot we can definetly discuss in the next few months.

Volunteers to help work at the tables?

For new folks to the boards we usually do raffles on Star Wars items that we and other people donate and raise money for worthy causes.

Any questions please let's hear them.

7. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Mike, they do have something for groups doing charity fundraisers or awareness events. They have a link to the appropriate form on their downloads page (probably a PDF file).

I think I've said my best friend gave me a RotS-version Clone Trooper for Xmas last year, but I'd be willing to part with it if we want to do a SMF-style raffle. :)

8. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    I noticed that Richie, I just didn't get around to reading it. Thanks for posting it. Regardless of what they 'state' on their site, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to at least give them a call and see if they can do anything for us. Worst they can say is 'No', right?

I think if there's enough interest, and we can guarantee at least 2 members manning the table each day we should go for it. I can't make any guarantees personally because that weekend is both my wife's birthday and my sons. Still, I'm sure I could help out in some other aspect, if needed.

9. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    If I'm not away at the time, I would be willing to help.

10. sithkeith1701

sithkeith1701 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2008
    Hello all,
    I know I am new, but would definitely be willing to help out. I will look into some charities and other organizations.` I have some connections with the non-profit group I am already with and will see what I can do. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for help.

Keith

11. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    I work for a non-profit agency that supports adults with developmental disabilities, we're always looking for donations. I've mentioned the MS Society in the past as well. Lot's of worthy charities out there.

12. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Some nice suggestions. :)

I'd definitely hold onto any ideas people have for potential charities. If we do end up having a presence at this con, we can have a quick little 'show of hands' to choose the charity to go with. Keep in mind that over the past couple of years we've been leaning towards local charities that focus on children. Not saying that has to be the case here, it's just something we've tried to shoot for.

If for some reason we don't end up with a table, we can always revisit these option in the fall for SMF.

13. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    Good morning!

I scanned this - will read later in a more complete manner.

My 2 cents on the charity:

I know that we have decided on MDA for SMF but, if we were to change the fundraiser to be MDA for this in July, we would be able to present the money THIS year to MDA during the telethon Labor Day weekend.

Again, just my two cents.

Mike, can you post the link to the site to buy the shirts at again?

14. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Ask and ye shall receive...

MIS Cafe Press Store

Korey, Maybe you could ask Meri (or someone over on the admin boards) if they could put that link to our Cafe Press store above with the rest of the permanent links. I can't believe I never thought of doing it before. :oops:

15. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Justin, my Alderaan Base/NEG contact, said my email to him about JumpCon was the first they had heard about the event. They don't know if they're going to do it on short notice.

16. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Short notice?

17. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Yeah, they like as much lead time as they can get for these things, I guess. I did see on JumpCon's future schedule that they plan a return to Boston for the 4th of July weekend next year, so I'll let Justin know about that, too.

18. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    In an attempt to clarify where the convention will be, the reply from JumpCon to my inquiry was that, unless stated otherwise, the convention will be held at the host hotel (the Backbay Sheraton on Dalton St.). I also checked the Convention Center Authority's events page, and the fact that the National Association of Letter Carriers is booked for the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center starting July 20th (JumpCon's last day) seems to confirm JumpCon's location being the Backbay Sheraton rather than the Convention Center.

K, you may want to ask Meriwyn if she can edit this thread's title to reflect the actual location of the convention. ;)

19. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I must have misread the website. I thought this was to be held at the convention center. O well it happens. But with that said how are they going to fit 50+ guests in hotel? Hopefully the hotel has a big enough convention area or we may not get as many guests as they are advertising. From what I saw of the other locations the guest list is the biggest for Boston and I do believe they are somewhat local.

20. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    I sent Meriwyn a PM for the title change...

I attended a mock United Nations Convention at the Sheraton when I was in college... it has a good sized ball room, etc.

21. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    Hi guys...

So, what's the word on this event?

22. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    I'm now not sure if I'm going...I looked at the schedule and some of the autograph and photo sessions w/ Garrick and Ian are kind of early for me. I'll give it another look to be sure, but with my summer league being what it is (about $20/night), I'd rather spend my money on bowling these days.

23. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    So, who all is going to this event?

I will be camping with Jacob Friday - Sunday that weekend so, I won't be able to make it.

24. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Still planning to go for one day. Not sure which day yet though.

25. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Well, I guess it wasn't too short of a notice after all. It looks like the 501st and the RL will be there after all.

Although looking at the guest list, as of now, there are no SW guests scheduled for the Boston leg of the show. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.