main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Jumping into the New EU - Some Questions...

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Travesty, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Travesty

Travesty Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2017
    Hello, all! Let me first say that if this thread isn't allowed, or if there is an existing thread that this should be a part of- by all means, show me the way and lock this bad boy. I'm an unashamed newbie that can't seem to locate the Search function of this forum.

Formalities aside, after years of being Star Wars fan, I decided to take the plunge into the New EU. I started with Aftermath, which was solidly ok. I went on to read Jason Fry's Weapon of the Jedi and Greg Rucka's Smuggler's Run (quick reads with a younger target audience, but I enjoyed them). I just finished Lost Stars, which was by far and away my favorite of the four. Fantastic read!

So, now for the point of this thread- I have a few questions about the world I've just entered.

I'm a bit of a completionist and collector at heart, so naturally I'm trying to locate and purchase hardback versions of the first several books that were introduced to Canon. I snagged a first printing of Dark Disciple and A New Dawn (currently on Chapter 4- good so far, and I'm a big Rebels fan) at a local Used Book Store. I also found a first printing of Battlefront: Twilight Company at Target, of all places. So- my first question, have folks found the Original EU books to be collectible? What about the new EU? To be fair, I want these books to read and enjoy- not to eventually sell. Mainly curious because it seems to be rather difficult to find Tarkin or Lords of the Sith in hardback- is that due to a thin market online, or a result of actual collectibility?

My second question is more important to me- how would you recommend I (as a newbie to the EU world) tow the line between Novels and Comics in the NEU. It's quite easy to find and understand the general timeline of the novels. I find it a bit harder to jump into the comics. Any suggestions? I am a comic book fan- but there seem to be a good number of titles out there, which is a little intimidating.

Third question- are there any YouTube channels you folks recommend for Star Wars book reviews, EU (Legends and new) discussions, author interviews, etc? I've done some searching and found a couple, but open to suggestions. After finishing Lost Stars, I've been searching for an outlet for my new hobby- this was my first stop!

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  2. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    This seems more an introduction and general question thread. I'll move it over to WNU (Welcome New Users) for you. Also our search function has been disabled for the time being. You can find a thread detailing the reasons for that here. To find answers to the individual questions you have I suggest looking around both the EUC and Lit forums though I am sure some folks will chime in here and give their opinions as well. Welcome to the forums.

Travesty likes this.
  3. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Welcome to the boards! I hope the Legends novels are collectible, because I have almost all of them. :) I've been really lucky to find the majority of them at used bookstores. I didn't take care with the comics so none of those really survived had I been more careful.

The Lit board has excellent resources for someone getting started, as Bardan suggested.

4. Tobi

Tobi Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    Collider Jedi Council is a really good YouTube show with a whole canon segment each week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    There's several places to look for books online. Amazon has new & used books for sale. So do ABE books and Alibris. I've also had some luck on ebay.

I haven't kept up with the NEU very much. My understanding is that everything (novels, comics, TV shows & movies) are all meant to be part of one big continuity. Its all supposed to work without any contradictions. I'm not sure what the best place is to get into the comics, since I haven't been following the NEU much at all. This is a great place to ask your questions about the NEU.

Coffee with Kenobi has both novel & comic reviews. TBH, I haven't listened to any of their podcasts. Rebel Force Radio is fun, but they're more focused on the movies, collecting & TV shows.