main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge June 2016 Word Race! PLEASE POST FINAL COUNTS BY JULY 3RD.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , May 24, 2016.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm currently posting this as I eat dinner because I have no other time to do this (unless I wait till June 1st, which would be pointless). Blame any mistakes on the calamari. I'm not playing with the rules this time around due to this reason.
    Welcome to the June 2016 WORD RACE!
    Let’s face it, National Writing Month is fun, but writing 50,000 words in November just isn’t plausible for some people (students, people with dead muses, people that go on stupid vacations) and can be intimidating for those that know they can’t make it even close. So this a similar idea (to turn off that inner editor and jut write!), with much less pressure and hopefully during a better time. The purpose of this is just to get people writing fanfic (and also to give a chance for people daunted by or unable to participate in Nano to see how fast they can write).

The rules are pretty simple:

1. Sign up here!

2. Beginning June 1st keep track of all the words you write for fanfics (or RP posts that will be posted on these boards - this challenge to encourage people to work on pieces that will be posted here, plus we all want to eventually read the results). It can be fics that you have already started, a new fic, heck; if you are the kind of writer that likes to write out very detailed plot outlines, included that too!

3. Post your word count every few days. I will keep a master tally.

4. Keep writing until the clock strikes midnight on June 30th. Post a final count sometime on July 1st or 2nd.

5, Encourage your fellow racers! No pimping, but light discussion about plot lines is allowed is allowed. We all love feedback!

6. There will be PRIZES! 5000 words will get you 1 day of colours (THATS ONLY 162 WORDS PER DAY!), 10,000 will get you 2 days of colours, and 25,000 words will get you 1 week. The person who writes the most will receive a stickied thread where the can advertise a couple of their fics for 1 week.

Anyone is eligible to participate, but this is directed more towards writers that may normally write a bit slower, or haven't been able to write much lately. Basically, this is all about encouragement to write more. If you are someone who doesn't think anything of writing 30, 40 or 50,000 + words in a month, or if that will be no new or huge accomplishment for you, you can still participate, but please think about excusing yourself from winning prizes or the grand prize so that it can go to someone who really pushed themselves to get it. Just make it clear to your poor host if you are racing in, or out of competition.

If you are interested, grab a blanket, join me in the sun and let’s start our engines!

Participant List:
    Briannakin - 5586
    Chytuck - 12 639
    Earlybird-obi-wan - 10 038
    Ewok Poet - 22 707
    Findswoman - 2805
    JadeLotus - 6056
    leiamoody - 8820
    Pandora - 452
    Raissa Baiard - 2259
    Sith-I-5 - 5711
    Ugohr Poof - 13 127
    Whiskers - 2000

Ewok Poet, yahiko and Findswoman like this.
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh yes! So glad to see this back again—please sign me up! :D

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I've been struggling to get words down the past couple of months, so sign me up!

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Signing up! :D

5. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Briannakin I think I need to excuse myself from this particular challenge, but I like what you are doing and wish you all good luck.

K

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm in!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    "And I'm with you too!"

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm With You happens to be the title of something I boycotted...but I forgive you. :p

9. Ugohr Poof

Ugohr Poof Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2016
    I'll sign up for it: I might be able to finish Baseball Wars Ep. I and start Ep. II next month.

10. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    I am writing in French... Would it be eligible? :D

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Will it be eventually posted here?

12. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    I can, but I wonder if this would be accepted :p

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  14. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    I'm signing up again.

15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Just had a thought: could this thread contain random prompts for those who have been struggling recently? Or some sort of a non-competitive dare?

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Are you asking if you can post a story in French? I do believe the answer Mav and I came up with is yes BUT you would have to be able to provide the mods with a half-decent English translation. We don't mean to be xenophobic at all (I can actually bumble my way through some French), but, you know, this is an English based website and we as mods are only required to read English. But if we allowed you to post in French and not provide a translation, just because I can (sorta) read it, that wouldn't be fair to the person wanting to post in Japanese (or whatever).

Frankly, perhaps next time, or if people want to do something informally like a fic exchange, but I do not have the time between now and the end of the month to come up with something (heck, the participant list is going to have to wait). Maybe on June 1st I can throw something together.

Findswoman , Ewok Poet and yahiko like this.
  17. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Maybe I should do this again? Actually try updating some fics? Dunno. o_O [face_nail_biting]:D

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    leiamoody and Findswoman like this.
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Briannakin’s quick “muse quickstarts"

Because I was asked for some quick prompts, here are some random, TOTALLY OPTIONAL prompts:

PROMPT 1: write a poem, song, or in screenplay format. HECK, try writing a fake blog, chapter in a textbook or wikipedia-type article. If you want help staring a poem, pick a random line from a book or movie and just go with it.

PROMPT 2: Click below for some images to see if they spark 1000 words.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PROMPT 3: Random titles.

- Familiar Stranger
    - Monument Men
    - The Church of the Blind
    - The Dragon Underneath
    - At The Bottom Of The Lake
    - Smother

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you so much for accepting my idea. These are absolutely awesome. :)

Can we combine prompts, a'la Writer's Block Thread?

Findswoman likes this.
  21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    You can do whatever you wish with them.

22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you. :)

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    So, 1 more day till we start! Does everyone know what they will be working on? Does anyone have any personal goals?

Or are you just kinda like me. My muse kinda vanished like a fart in the wind AS SOON AS MY CLASS CRAZINESS was over (WHY did I see that coming). And now, I have no idea what I am doing. Some editing/posting of my 50 titles fic might be on my agenda, though since it is done, I don't see a whole lot of words coming out of that.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    My first order of business is finishing "In the Cards." After that, I've got my AU, some Raissa and Doran short stories, and outlining my next R/D long fic. Think I've got enough to do?

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Hmmm...good question.

- I have two fic gifts to write, with possibly more as an option and I would prefer to write them in June than keep these people waiting. Now, they also need to be up to my standards and look like something those people would enjoy reading, so...a rough trade here.

- The pun from the previous answer needs love, too.

- I have come to realise that my DDC became too complex and is slowing down my other fics, so I'm going to try and finish most of that.

- I need to write June, July and August chapters of my weird two-stories-in-one thing. The August one is half-done and since I need to post it on the day I'll be travelling from A. back to Belgrade, I should probably write it here and not in A.

- Vagran, Aurea and my original species need to be elaborated on further.

- Everything else is secondary (sextiary?) to the above things. Except for the prompts, oh my, I need to try those.

Raissa Baiard and Findswoman like this.