main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL June Meeting

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Pikaroth, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    I just thought I would quickly start a thread about the upcoming June meeting. I know there is one entitled "next meeting" or something, but this, I think, would be better, especially for those that might miss it because of a lack of topic.

So, again, while it is posted on the top of the screen where it says "Forum Announcement," the next meeting is June 26th, 2004, at noon (12:00pm or 1200hrs). It will be in the same old spot, the Orlando Public Library.

Did I cover everything?

Brandon

2. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Sounds right to me. Has the library been lined up? Are we getting the 3rd floor concrete space room? (yes, I know it's luck of the draw.) Since I won't know if I can go until Wednesday, I shouldn't be the pointman for this sort of thing anymore.

3. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    If Ia hasn't set it up, I don't mind being the point "woman". I hope to see everyone there. Especially you Susan & Dale, I have a little present for both of you.
    See ya then!
    Melanie

4. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    I didn't know where else to post this but I'm suprised no one else has mentioned on the boards that THX1138 is being re-released on 9/10/04. OR has someone already posted this topic somewhere & I missed it?
    Melanie

5. JediScout

JediScout Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    When is the next meeting?

6. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    look up, just a little higher. Mmmm, that's right, right there. Yep, you found it, June 26th at noon, downtown library. Want to go again?
    o_O
    Melanie

7. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    I've not posted about THX, but I've known about it for a great while. I'm going to take the Nestea plunge on this one after passing on the laserdisc a decade ago, but I'd warn anyone else thinking about it to learn a bit more before they spend hard-earned credits. THX is set in a dystopian future where most citizens are drones. The movie's pace makes it hard to believe the same director next made American Grafitti and Star Wars.
    Anyone know if the college version (4EB) will be an extra here? It ought to be. If not, does anyone have the SHORT dvd featuring early Lucas works?

Chances are good I'll be there on Saturday. SiulF, it'll be nice to put a face to a name.

8. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    THX is a truly great movie. If you read Brave New World then you would get the depth of the movie MUCH more...OK I have no idea what I just said or if my grammar made ANY sense...

I will have to talk to someone about Saturday before I can declare my going.

9. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    I think it's a good movie, and a pretty good debut for a young director. I'd advise anyone to go out and read Huxley's Brave New World and BNW Revisited, even without seeing THX-1138.

10. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Didn't everyone read "Brave New World" somewhere between 8th and 11th grade? I assumed it was up there with "To Kill A Mockingbird," "Lord of the Flies," "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," and "1984." I'm sure I've forgotten some, but, again, hasn't everyone here read it?

Brandon

P.S. I honestly mean this. I say this with no joking or sarcasm whatsoever, but I *fully* believe "Less Than Zero" should be required reading in high schools nowadays. It is not only a modern day classic filled with enough stuff to write countless essays about, but I believe it would draw the attentions of students more than any of the above novels would.

11. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    What about "American Psycho"? Sheesh Brandon!! ;)

12. raizarul

raizarul Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2004
    could be a bit much for those timid teenagers to handle. It is VERY graphic. Too much for some to take.

Melanie

13. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    "American Psycho" would be, I don't know, college level stuff.

To be honest, let me remember back to some of the best years of my life.... yes, college, UCF, best humanities/philosophy programs in the state, Dr. White, best teacher ever... I go back... regress... dream...

There I am... sitting in Contemporary Multicultural Studies and we are given a reading assignment... "Less Than Zero"! That, right there, is where I discovered Ellis.

After reading it again and thinking, I think Zero would be good for 11th, maybe 12th, graders. Sadly, I think it would require some kind of permission slip or something like that. It is not nearly as graphic as "America Psycho" but it *does* become fairly graphic towards the end (not sexual, but in terms of murder and other stuff), and, again, unlike AP, it gets uncomfortable because it is not in the least bit funny or tongue-in-cheek, like the death and sex in Psycho.

Maybe, actually, "Rules of Attraction" would be better. Some sex, yes, but almost zero violence.

"Glamorama" would be out because of all the sex and violence and, honestly, can a high school student grasp it?

"The Informers" is great, but it, too, has a chapter are two that are kinda nasty...

So, we come back to Zero, plus, in terms of chronology, it DOES take place first, so that's another plus.

Now, when is his next book coming out?!?!?!

Brandon

14. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    I was KIDDING. I know it is too graphic. Like I said, Sheesh, Brandon! ;)

Anywho, I can safely say I'm not a highschool student anymore!! YAY! Now mesa in college!!! YAY!

15. LoboStele

LoboStele Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2002
    Hey sorry to break it to you guys....but Ia and I won't be able to make the meeting. I've got another commitment Saturday, and Ia's Great Uncle passed away this week and the funeral is Saturday morning/early afternoon. Someone please drink a sweet tea at lunch in honor of Ia's absence. Lol :)

16. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    And I won't be able to make it to lunch. I'll be at the meeting for an hour or so- a bit more if my boss lets me come in late- but I have to work in the afternoon, so it'll be a short one for me.

17. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    How was the meeting? The irony is I ended not going to work today, but that's because I had to attend a funeral in Fort Lauderdale last night. Anything accomplished or did Ia's absence preclude such things?

L8r

18. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Remember, meetings consist of hanging out and doing nothing. In that case, it went really well.

Dale walking around downtown Orlando minus his shirt was interesting.

Melanie and Susan were, possibly, seeing Spider-Man 2 tonight (Tuesday for me).

Campbell is going for a new style... and it works.

Stefanie spilled something upon her shirt.

We used our cellular telephones to call each other, while sitting at the same table.

I could be wrong, but I do believe everyone went to the restroom today except me; that, in and of itself, is very strange, indeed.

Dale has some new sunglasses, but we did not get to see them.

To and from the meeting Stefanie and I listened to some great songs/music. Car rides are always fun.

Towards the end of my journey, I went in a circle twice, very Twilight Zone-ish.

On my way home, I ran into a major rain storm that lasted about 1,000 feet and then, oddly, vanished.

We briefly discussed Sarah, but, really, that is a tradition now.

Not for long, but dressing as characters from The Nightmare Before Christmas was brought up.

We went to one place to eat and then another to drink. I do not know the names of either establishment.

The waitress at the second place had an absolutely amazingly flat belly.

Dale has a scar from getting stabbed.

I have a scar from falling off of a bike, but that was not brought up today.

Dale, alone, once took on over 120 guys... and won!

I opened the sun roof taking Stefanie home.

I then closed it.

Campbell left first.

Dale left second.

The four remaining individuals then left. Two of them, Brandon and Stefanie, returned to Brandon's car, Melanie returned to the library to rent the Disney film Brother Bear (watch the second disc, not the "family friendly" first!), and Susan may or may not have gone with her. I'm guessing she did because of the Spider-Man 2 issue.

Campbell still does not have a cell phone.

Five out of the six people that attended wore shorts, one wore pants. Any guesses as to who?

One of the six people belly dances. Any guesses as to who?

One person slurs his or her words after half of a bottle of an alcoholic beverage. Again, any guesses?

There is a place in Florida, I hear, called "Spook Hill." I hear one's car will, get this, go UP the hill in reverse on its own! Amazing! Amazing and not true!

There is no ghost in "Three Men and a Baby." However, it's still neat to see the scenes.

There will be a topic, sooner or later, concerning what we feel are our Top 10 Videos of All Time.

My cat is meowing.

I ruin things.

I do not mean to.

There was a homeless guy (maybe not homeless) with a cardboard sign up before we got onto Interstate Four. For the first time in awhile, I almost felt bad for him. He looked ROUGH.

I did not give him any money.

I got angry at traffic on the way back.

I shouldn't have.

Gas prices are still high.

They are not going to go down to where they were.

Ever.

Stefanie likes my hat and the cute little Nike symbols on it, even in it!

Damn. I just realized my wallet is still in my car.

Stefanie borrowed a novel, "Glamorama." She has it, but it is packed and put away.

That may be it. I'd urge everyone to add to the list because I'm certain you will remember stuff that I did not. However, I hope I summed things up in a decent fashion.

Brandon

19. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    Wow, great summary Brandon. Spider Man 2 did not happen. AMC did some misadvertising.
    "Preview Spider Man 2 on June 27th" meant buy preview tickets. I shouldn't have trusted my friend since it didn't make sense they were previewing the movie so many days earlier than it's release, ah well, there's always Tuesday.
    I was unable to find Brother Bear. By the time we swung back towards the library (yes, Susan accompanied me) it was gone. I was thrilled to see they had Monty Python's Holy Grail, so picked that up instead.
    Happy Birthday to one of Susan's younglings tomorrow.
    Dale's having a party right now and we're not invited. :( Hope it was a blast, amigo! Just finished running & it's time for sleep. I-)
    Good night & MTFBWY
    Melanie

20. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    I've worked a large number of hours since I attended and will be going back again right now. Slumber, how I lack you. So, apologies for not a better response, but thanks to Brandon for a thorough and thoroughly entertaining description of OS.Junemeet. -Campbell

21. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    dupe.

22. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    Yes, very interesting meeting indeed. Dale, I hate you, you are perfect in every bodily way and I envy you...

As for Brandon opening the sunroof...yeah, he did, then he closed it.

23. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Don't let it go to your head Dale, she PM'd me the exact same statement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.