main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Junta: Welcome to La Republica de los Bananas! **game has a winner**

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Loyal Imperial, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    [image=http://www.westpark-gamers.de/Ressourcen/junta_t.jpg]

Welcome to Junta! With a minimum of four players and a maximum of seven, we'll be playing out a few days (or years, to be precise) in the life of your typical banana republic dictator (and assorted ruling families).

Once all of our aspiring dictators have signed up, two starting cards and beginning cash will be dealt out to each player, and then the players shall submit a vote to the GM, bearing the name of one of the other players. The number of votes each player controls will depend on the cards assigned to them. The single player who receives the highest number of these votes shall become El Presidente, dictator-in-chief of the Republica de los Bananas (ties will be resolved by coin tossing). The Presidente will then assign each of his or her fellow players a position in his cabinet. The available positions are as follows:

Minister of Internal Security: Controls the Police. Controls the Assassins of the Secret Police. Can force the budget by seizing the Chamber of Deputies. Can have returning exiles assassinated.
    First General: Controls the 1st Army Brigade.
    Second General: Controls the 2nd Army Brigade.
    Third General: Controls the 3rd Army Brigade.
    Admiral: Controls the Gunboats. Controls the Marines.
    Air Force Commander: Controls the Air Strikes. Controls the Paratroopers.

Once El Presidente has assigned these positions, the real game of survival begins.

Phases in a Turn

Phase 1: Cards! Two cards are dealt out to each player (mentioned earlier).

Phase 2: Cabinets! Cabinet positions are assigned by El Presidente. If there are less than seven players present, then multiple positions may be assigned to single players. Generals are excluded, there must be at least one person to hold each general's office.

Phase 3: Foreign Aid! Eight money cards are drawn by the Presidente, of a value only known to the dictator.

Phase 4: Budgets! El Presidente declares how much money each cabinet position will receive (out of the amount granted by the money cards). As only the Presidente knows the total amount drawn, any money not handed out will be deposited in the Presidente's wallet. The players then must vote to pass or block the proposed budget. If the budget fails, then the Minster of Internal Security has the option of forcing the budget's passage (at gunpoint!). If the budget fails, all money for the turn is deposited in El Presidente's wallet.

Phase 5: Locations! Each player chooses their location for the turn from the following; Home ("burglary" cards cannot be used against the player when here), Mistress (leaving the player vulnerable to "character assassination" cards), Nightclub, Headquarters (allowing the player the option of starting a coup), and Bank (allowing access to the player's Swiss bank account during the banking phase later on).

Phase 6: Assassins! During this turn, assassinations may occur. With the exception of the Minister of Internal Security, one must possess an assassin card to attempt an assassination (Ministers automatically have one free assassination attempt each round). By spending one such card, you may name a player and location. If the player is in that location, then you will have successfully assassinated them. If the player is assassinated, then their "character" dies, losing them all cards gathered so far, and all money not in their Swiss bank account will be handed over to their killer. The assassinated player remains in the game, their deceased character replaced by another member of their "family" (but may not take any more actions until the next turn). If El Presidente is assassinated, then a new Presidente is elected, as per the process described at the beginning.

*If multiple players assassinate another player, then the assassinations are resolved in chronological order, as are mutual assassinations. The Minister may not attempt assassinations

2. StarWarsFreak444

StarWarsFreak444 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 28, 2005
    4. StarWarsFreak444

Interesting, I'll try it out! [face_mischief]

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    2. JediGunship
    4. StarWarsFreak444

Might as well try this out.

4. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    1. Mister_Master
    2. JediGunship
    4. StarWarsFreak444

I'll give this a go.

5. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    1. Mister_Master
    2. JediGunship
    4. StarWarsFreak444
    6. BaSSiL

6. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    1. Mister_Master
    2. JediGunship
    3. snowspeeder_gunner
    4. StarWarsFreak444
    6. BaSSiL

7. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    1. Mister_Master
    2. JediGunship
    3. snowspeeder_gunner
    4. StarWarsFreak444
    6. BaSSiL
    7. JediVegeta

Edit: Yesss. Got in!! Great idea!

8. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    1. Mister_Master
    2. JediGunship
    3. snowspeeder_gunner
    4. StarWarsFreak444
    5. Tyi-Maet Nefer
    6. BaSSiL
    7. JediVegeta

9. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Alright, starting cards and cash have been sent out! This being a new game, I'm more than open to any questions regarding card effects. The clearer, the better. :)

Now, is voting time for our glorious new leader, El Presidente! Influence cards are permanent, and will grant you additional votes for El Presidente apart from your single, natural vote. You may use Vote cards to vote for El Presidente in addition to using them on the budget, but they must be discarded after use, so choose wisely! Votes shall be PMed to the GM, who shall then reveal the results once the votes have been tallied.

(Also, a note. Backroom deals are strongly encouraged in this game. Some of you may be in possession of cards which could be used to the great benefit, or detriment, of others. How you use this information is up to you. ;))

10. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    (All but two votes are in, and since over 24 hours has passed, and we've got a pretty insurmountable lead established for the winner, we'll move right on to the next phase, now. Sorry about the wait.)

The votes are in! The election of El Presidente has run its course, and we are now prepared to reveal the results of our nationwide vote! In third place, backed by the Communist Party, is Mister_Master with a grand total of 3 votes. Better luck next time, Comrade.

Standing in second place among our three candidates, and supported by the nation's farmers, is Tyi-Maet_Nefer with 5 votes.

Finally, in first place, and our new El Presidente, is BartSimpson-SithLord. Retired generals of the nation's military turned out in force to vote, and the Conservative Party officially endorsed him as their candidate of choice. With an impressive lead of 13 votes, congratulate your new leader! And now, a word. El Presidente, who will serve in your cabinet?

[Phase 2: El Presidente BaSSiL, please select your cabinet.]

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I'd just like to thank all those wonderful and hard-working farmers out there who graciously supported me. Such a kind gesture does not go unnoticed. That said, Mr Simpson has my full support and I back this appointment with great anticipation.

12. JediVegeta

Dec 20, 2000
    Congratulations goes out to out to our new Presidente! Truly, La Republica de los Bananas is embarking upon a new era! I look forward to serving your government in the best way that you see fit.

I also must say that I do like breathing in the fresh sea air. Yes I do.

13. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    Thank you, my loyal supporters, for your faith in my leadership. Rest assured that I know where my support lies and know how to push this nation forward.

Minister of Internal Security: Tyi-Maet Nefer
    First General: Mister_Master
    Second General: JediGunship
    Third General: StarWarsFreak444
    Admiral: JediVegeta
    Air Force Commander: snowspeeder_gunner

Welcome to my cabinet.

14. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Phase 3

El Presidente has drawn from the Foreign Aid Deck. ([face_money_eyes])

Phase 4

El Presidente will now put his proposed budget before the cabinet to be voted on.

15. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    When deciding a budget, I decided that it is best to treat all facets of the government fairly equally. At least in my first term.

Minister of Internal Security: 1 million pesos
    First General: 2 million pesos
    Second General: 1 million pesos
    Third General: 1 million pesos
    Admiral: 1 million pesos
    Air Force Commander: 1 million pesos

16. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Do we vote for this in public?

Edit: Okay then YAY

17. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Yes, budget voting is public. Yes/No, Yay/Nay is fine.

*For that matter, most of the rest of the game will be conducted in public, just to clarify that.

18. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    I vote Yay.

19. StarWarsFreak444

StarWarsFreak444 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 28, 2005
  20. JediVegeta

Dec 20, 2000
    I vote yay.

21. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I vote Yay as well.

22. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Unanimously agreed upon by the present cabinet members, the budget passes! The amounts handed out by El Presidente will now be added to the starting cash granted to each player at the beginning of the game!

Phase 5

Each player (including El Presidente) should now send a PM to the host with one of the following locations enclosed, which will be their location for this round. Effects of choosing each location are listed beside them.

Home (grants immunity from the Assassin card "Burglary")
    Mistress (renders the player vulnerable to the card "Character Assassination")
    Nightclub (no effect)
    Headquarters (allows you to start a coup during Phase 8)
    Bank (allows the player to deposit or withdraw money from their "Swiss Bank Account" during Phase 7)

If no PM is received from a player, the location will be determined randomly.

23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Phase 6!

If you possess an Assassin card (and meet the listed requirements to use it) or are the Minister of Internal Security, PM in the name of the player you seek to...remove and where you believe they are. This period will last approximately 24 hours. Let the assassinations commence!

24. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    BREAKING NEWS: nobody has died.

Phase 7

Money time. Those of you at the bank, PM how much you'd like to deposit.

25. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    In continuing to show my support, I would just like to add a weightless 'yay' to the cheering crowds. At least it sounded like a positive cheer.

The Minister of Internal Security is sorry he missed the vote but hopes you understand that he is a busy man. Fear not, however, for the previously imminent threat that nearly destroyed this beautiful caucus has been silently dealt with. That is, after all, how internal affairs are dealt with ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.