main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jupiter's @&#%!! A Discussion of the Spartacus Saga

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Jan 24, 2011.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    OK first off, I know that Spartacus: Blood and Sand and the new 6-part prequel Spartacus: Gods of the Arena are not technically fantasy and are more ?sword and sandal? stories. However, the two series do have the distinction of fulfilling a fantasy long held for years by fans of Xena, which is to see Lucy Lawless in teh n00dz [face_mischief]

After coming across B&S while channel-surfing, I?d initially dismissed the over-the-top violence with its slo-mo high pressure blood spurts as 300: the Series, but after watching a couple of episodes, I was hooked by the actual storyline.

Oh, and Lucy Lawless didn?t hurt, either ;) The years have been very kind to her :eek: [face_hypnotized] =P~

2. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Given that GotA is a prequel, and Gannicus doesn't appear in B&S, I'm gonna guess that either he gets taken out by Crixus to become "Champion of Capua," or he is a casualty of machinations, helping forge Batiatus into the Magnificent Bastard he becomes in B&S.

As a bonus for all us Star Wars fans, Temuera Morrison is in GotA as Oenomaus' predecessor in the role of the Doctore :cool:

3. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I'm glad someone started this thread! :)

Just a few weeks ago, I watched Spartacus: Blood and Sand ... finished the whole series in two days, I was that hooked!

I loved the storyline, and how all of the plot points, machination, all comes together.

Enjoyed the first episode of Gods of the Arena. I love how this series seems to be a true prequel, in that it actually adds to character. For example, how Batiatus and Solonius seems to be fairly reasonable 'friends', unlike their plotting rivalry in 'Blood and Sand'.

Although I only watched the series a few weeks ago, I can't remember the dialogue from Oenomaus (Doctore) on how his wife dies, as surely this must feature in the prequel, as she was a promonent character in the first episode of 'Gods of the Arena'.

4. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I'm also wondering what changes with Lucretia such that she goes from the idea of sleeping with a slave makes her throw up in her mouth a little to arranging the murder of someone who wanted to sleep with Crixus.

5. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Morrison's role is very... Mando, I dare say.

I like it... though I'm not sure my wife would like to know that I like it. ;)

6. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    My wife and I usually watch it together [face_love]

7. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Ive watched this series since the first epi of BaS and have loved everybit of it. My fav epi has got to be "Whore".

8. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I'd seen bits & pieces of previous episodes, but the first one I saw start-to-finish was "Old Wounds," and I was hooked. Batiatus & Ashur's setup of Solonius was brilliant.

9. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Great 2nd ep.

The seeds have been planted of the distrust between Batiatus and Solonius! :)

Interesting development with Tem Morrison's character ... didn't pick that this early.

I love the determination of Crixus ... and his quick development as a Gladiator.

10. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Im pretty sure of Gannicus's fate now...lol

11. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Yeah.

Crixus still hasn't got the mark/brand, so I assume that he will fight Gannicus in the test, which will be a mirror of the Spartacus / Crixus test (IMHO).

12. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    When they played up the real friendship between Oenomaus and Gannicus, I thought "oh, this won't end well," especially given Gannicus' insight about freedom and conscience.

13. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Thats exactly why I said I was pretty sure I knew his fate now lol. Esp after the end of the epi.

14. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I'm also interested by the differences in Lucy Lawless' depiction of Lucretia. It's amazing how much younger she appears in GotA. Then I figured it out: not only is it the differences in makeup & hair, but it's amazing how much Lucretia actually smiles in this iteration. Smiling helps you look younger, I s'pose.

15. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah both Baitius and her look younger. It is interesting to see her views as of now knowing how she turns towards the darkside. It ll be great seeing her lose control from a prim and proper wife to what her ending arc.

16. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I'm kinda missing how Quintus supposedly screwed up, since "Batiatus the Elder" basically frittered away every advantage that his son had gained...

17. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I've got news for you... Lucretia's arc isn't over. EW had her talking about how she's in the show and it helps that her hubby is the producer. Lucretia doesn't die, somehow, from the sword through her womb. Though I'm sure the baby is likely dead.

18. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    lol really???

19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Wow...just wow! Brillant epi tonight with the orgy party! Lots of character developement this go round.

21. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Where is everyone???? These past two episodes have been brillant! Reckoning was so badass. So far my fav of GotA.

22. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    "I am no serpent...I am far worse!" Epic! EPIC!!! =D=

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Indeed, I loved it. I didn't see the full extent of her treachery coming.

As for Melitta, I thought it was obvious she was going to die this season, but I didn't see her death coming until Lucretia's machinations were revealed.

24. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    So funny to see Lucretia disgusted that she finally hooked up with Crixis knowing that she goes from that to "Oh my Gaul stud come to me"

Im saddend though that Andy Whitfield will not be reprising his role as Spartacus in S2 due to his cancer. That is a bummer esp since he had been told that it was taken care of and then a few months later they find it again. Sad.

25. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    This! Oh goodness, this! That it would happen by way of the wine was well-telegraphed. and I figured that it would be either Gaia or Lucretia who would use it if Quintus lacked the will to do the deed. Here's my line of thought:

Well, I guess Gaia's out of the running...
    Uh-oh! Quintus has a mighty big stick...
    No...
    Yes?...
    OK, no...
    Uh-oh, Titus is sick. Here it comes...
    Titus and Lucretia alone together? He's doomed!...
    She'll probably smother him or something...
    OH SNAP!!!! :eek: [face_skull] =D=