Amph Jupiter's @&#%!! A Discussion of the Spartacus Saga

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian, Jan 24, 2011.

1. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    Been catching up on this recently, i.e., watching season 1 for the first time. I don't know if I'd say that this is a good show but it's certainly an entertaining show. Whitfield really shines in each episode...and Lucy Lawless? Never knew she had it in her.
  2. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Are you compeletly caught up with it poly? The last 2 epi are showing on Starz tomorrow night making way for the season 2 pre friday after next.
  3. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    I just watched the episode where Spartacus and Illythia have sex. My DVR is recording four episodes today off of various Starz channels. I think that runs me up through the entire season 1. I've not seen Gods of the Arena, though that is on my to do list.
  4. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah that one is titled "Whore" and is my fav epi.
  5. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    Finished season one last night. The finale, Kill Them All, was well done, imo. I like how it mirrored what Sura told Spartacus back in the first episode, before he left. She told him to kill them all and he did...along with Crixus and the other gladiators. Shame that Whitfield was unable to reprise his role since he was just so awesome. It's a real testament to the actors/actresses that in a show as stylized as this one, they are able to conjure chemistry and emotion out of the story arcs. There was real, immediate chemistry between Spartacus and Sura. Then there ultimately was chemistry with Mira. I just hope Mcintire can do the same thing in season 2.
  6. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    Caught the Vengeance premiere on facebook today. Great episode, imo, although it made me miss Andy Whitfield even more. He just defined the role but the new guy is good enough that I think, over time, he'll grow to dominate the role.

Couple of things:

*Spoilers Obviously*

How did Lucretia survive? Did she have the fetus removed? Who removed it? How did she survive without anyone else in Capua knowing about it? What happened to all of the bodies in House Batiatus? Did she eat them?

Obvious question, and likely an obvious answer, but is Ilithyia's child Spartacus'? I think so and that night of passion will come back to haunt her.

Nice to see Spartacus and Mira actually having some meaningful moments. She's no Sura but she is strong enough to balance the Champion.

Aurelia's death was totally telegraphed but Spartacus was just trying to do what was right.

I know that DeKnight said there was not going to be incest in this season but it is heavily implied between Seppius and Seppia. I mean heavily implied.

Also, Doktore (Oenameus) is wandering the streets without joining Crixus and Spartacus? Why? He clearly saw House Batiatus as dishonorable and that was why he let the slaves kill them all. Why would he hesitate in joining them once he gave his tacit/explicit consent?
  7. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    How did I miss a showing of this I wonder?

Oh well I ll have to wait a week to read your HTR poly till I watch it. lol
  8. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    Check the Spartacus facebook page. It might still be available.

Also, it was on TV last night on one of the Directv channels I get. Not Starz but a different one. Weird.
  9. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    The premiere is also available on the Starz homepage. IGN has a direct link to it.
  10. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Ah ha So I finally got my Spartacus Vengenace fix last night! Liam is gonna have some big shoes to fill in Andy's spot but I didnt not once think his performance was bad. He did a great job and I love they gave him the same exact scaring as Andy had in S1.
  11. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    While this was a solid episode it did make Whitfield's absence loom even larger over the show. I think Mcintyre is going to be fine. Really I do. But he lost something in this episode that Andy always had. It's hard for me to pinpoint but there was something about Spartacus this episode that just didn't click. Even still, Ashur is back and Oenamaeus has returned to the ludus. Gonna get crazy!!
  12. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    Holy crap, how did Crixus become the smartest man in the room?
  13. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    Andy Whitfield died, that's how. :(
  14. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    I?m not talking about the new actor?s acting skills. I?m talking about the character Crixus giving advice on strategy.
  15. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    I know...but with Andy gone, Spartacus doesn't have the same gravitas. But yeah Crixus is certainly a stronger, more intelligent character than he was in the first season.
  16. severian28 Force Ghost

star 5

In real life Crixus was a highly skilled military general that gave Crassus' and Pompii's legions fits before they finally get him. Oenamaius too. It looks like the show is staying close to history, which is good because the real story doesnt need that much added drama and action as it is quite the kick a@# tale for real...
  17. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Yep this is what I was gonna say. Crixis, Oenamaius, and Ganicus where 3 of Spartacus Generals/Commanders in RL.
  18. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Well how are yall liking this season now that it has hit the halfway mark?
  19. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    I would not see this thread cross over to the shores of the afterlife.

After what I consider a disappointing S3, S4 has not failed to deliver.

This show has an incredible ability to make both sides look like strategic geniuses....and still produce amazing action sequences. Both sides are engaged in the art of war, playing their opponents with intricate schemes, but the show never gets bogged down in endless Lost-style plotting. In the end, someone will outsmart the other somehow, and the one at a disadvantage will need to fight valiantly to stave off total destruction. It's like a professional fight where both combatants fight brilliantly, and by the end it almost doesn't matter who wins, because you're happy just to see such an amazing fight.

Though it was always obvious how this would end (duh), they still manage to produce real tension.

On top of portraying both sides intelligently, both sides have been given some shades of grey. In the first three seasons it was mostly black and white, but things have definitely gotten muddied this season.
    Ulicus and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  20. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    No longer have a subscription to Starz, and Netflix screwed up their deal with Starz also *shakes fist at Netflix* Anyplace else where I can legally get caught up?
  21. Diggy Force Ghost

star 5
    Probably not. Call your provider, threaten to switch and they'll probably offer Starz etc free for three months. Watch it via on demand. It's worth it.
  22. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Show Spoiler
    [IMG]
    :_|@};-:_|
  23. Diggy Force Ghost

star 5
    A great finale. Death to all Roman's that cross my path, though.
  24. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    Merk! Remove head from ass and catch up on Spartacus!
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.